Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
bangeye,

Townsend Whelen wrote, "The .30-06 is never a mistake."

He was writing about North American big game, because he never hunted big game anywhere else. Bullet construction wasn't nearly as advanced in his day as it is now, but even then the .30-06 worked with bullet weights from 150 to 220 grains.

Today we can standardize bullet weight down to RinB's 150 grains and the .30-06 will work fine on any of the big game most of us will ever hunt. We also have endless variations on either side of the .30-06 theme, but the same could be said of spitzer bullets of approximately the same weight in any other cartridge, regardless of bullet diameter. Some would have advantages in trajectory and wind drift, and some in bullet diameter, but a bullet of around 150 grains will do the job. I've seen it happen over and over again, on a wide variety of big game around the world.

one thing i remember many years ago on a visit to wolf publishing's office in prescott was the answer to a question i had. Being a banker and newly married, i only had money for one rifle what should i buy. The uniform answer from the writers there at the time was to buy a remington 30.06 bdl in left hand.
i did. I went on to acquire a lot of other rifles, but that bdl would have served for everything. They told me it wasn't the best for most things, but would handle just about everything given the bullet availability from light to heavy. They were right i think.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not having the first hand experience, I largely was influenced by the "30-06 is never wrong" mentality. I now use the performance level of the -06 as a guide knowing anything in N/A can be killed with -06 performance levels. More is, well, more, for no reason in my estimation. Less may be fine for certain situations, but not ideal, in my mind, for a one rifle to do all. For whatever reason, the 338 Fed appealed to me. It's different. It closely mirrors the -06 performance, although in a short action and with a fatter bullet. That has goods and bads. The bad is reduced long range performance. I've concluded that any meaningful performance loss is well beyond the ranges I ever intend to shoot anything. The fatter bullet doesn't make smaller holes and so far I've been quite pleased. I can go with a 160 at 3000+ or a 200 in the 2600s depending on what feels 'right' for a given hunt. When hunting, it feels just right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These days, I choose interesting rifles chambered for rounds I already have brass, bullets and dies for or can get cheaply. Can't see where cartridge choice makes much difference, certainly not for the stuff I hunt. My Hornet would be an exception now, but when I bought it, good Winny brass was about $20 a bag.

Time was when most folks had one rifle and used it for just about everything. Now, with premium bullets that stretch capabilities a bit, and Trail Boss that makes it simple to crank out practice and small game loads, that concept still makes a lot of sense.

'Course a fellar needs a few spares.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I look for a balance of flat shooting, hard hitting, and tolerable recoil. For each hunter this will likely be different.

For me the 270 Winchester fits this balance better than any other cartridge. While it is true the 280 or the 30/06 would also fall into this category if loaded with a 150 gr bullet at around 3000 fps I still choose the 270 because on average it has better BC and SD than its counterparts.:)

I also look for nastalgia rifles. To stay with the theme of nastalgia I use a slightly heavy for caliber Cup and Core bullet in a cartridge that pushes sane velocities where cup and core bullets work well. For me the ultimate nastalgia cartridge is the 7X57. grin

I've recently acquired a 6.5X55 Swede with an 8 twist and I'm thinking this rifle may end up being used as longer range open country deer and antilope rifle.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 05/11/16.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I prefer to use what has worked for others instead of analyzing stuff to death.

30-06 for practically everything through elk and moose or, since I hand load, I prefer a .300 magnum.

.223 for Eastern varmints because a 30-06 makes too much noise. .223 components are, of course, more available than other varmint calibers.

.270 for longer range deer and pronghorn. A .270 130 grain bullet has the same BC as a 190 grain .308 but far less recoil.

.375 for dangerous game--brown bears in Alaska or African stuff. Such a hunt costs $15,000+ so why not buy an optimum rifle for it? And your PH or guide won't let you shoot at long range.

Many other cartridges will do basically the same jobs as these with only slight differences in performance.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I just grab whatever hasn't been out to "play" in a while - as long as it's suitable for the "game" at hand.
When not out to "play", the 204 or 243 get the nod - 204 mostly, 243 during big game seasons, or if I've seen a lot of cat or bear sign. (I don't need to get clawed or chewed)

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We males are an analytical bunch that like to quantify and qualify everything into tidy categories (ie, "ratings") that fit our linear thinking.

But, of course, life (and by extension death) doesn't generally work that way. The more open-minded experience one has, the more one knows this is fact (note "open minded", ie. experience is often wasted on those half asleep with inflexible prejudice).

Put a good bullet in the boiler room and death is the result. Decent velocity coupled with a controlled expansion bullet does marvelous things.

So, having said that, there's nothing I'd not hunt in NA with a 270 and 150 Partition... except a rabbit I wanted to eat. Even then, a head shot would work. I have no desire to hunt Africa, but if I did I can't imagine a 270 and 375 H&H wouldn't cover all the bases.

Of course there are dozens of other variations on the brass cylinder that would do the work of the 270/150 NP. I could be equally happy with a 308 Win and a 165 too... after all, cartridges are more alike than different.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I rate cartridges as less important than the rifle they're housed in. Within reason, of course.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Brad,

In the early 1990's Eileen was using an Ultra Light Arms .270 for all her big game hunting (this was a decade before ULA became NULA), with one load, the 130 Partition at about 3100. She'd always wanted to take two antelope out of one herd, and back then we were hunting some BLM land near Ft. Peck Reservoir I'd been hunting since around 1980.

We found a herd maybe 3/4 of a mile away, and eventually stalked within 350 yards. There wasn't a mature buck, so she dropped the biggest doe. The rest of the herd, confused because their leader was lying down, bolted a little, but after calming down moseyed our way, disappearing into a draw, appearing again at less than 100 yards. Eileen shot another doe, and at the report a nearby cottontail jumped up, then stopped under a sagebrush. At that point Eileen was definitely in her meat-hunting mode, and shot it in the head.

Maybe a 150 Partition at 2900 would have saved the bunny's "front quarters," though I doubt it. But the hindquarters and backstraps ate fine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great story John. That Eileen of yours is some fine woman. I'll bet she doesn't do a lot of hand-wringing about cartridges... likely the result of a lack of testosterone!

Yes indeed the 270 works, rabbits to elk. It's hard to imagine a finer round for Montana IMO.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Would've been less damage to the cottontail if she used a .460 Wby.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bbear
bangeye,
another influence on selecting a cartridge is the expected distance you plan on taking said game.
You might get by with a lighter cartridge at shorter ranges on larger game but that same cartridge is nearly a guaranteed loser at much longer ranges.
ie a 22-250 on a Texas hill country whitetail at 250 yards may work just fine. Take it out to a 700 yard shot and you should probably choose another cartridge.

If you're shooting at deer at 700 yards, you should be in another sport... like shuffleboard..

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I rate/choose my cartridges "With great prejudice."

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If I see a rifle with a nice stick of wood,and I can afford it,I buy it regardless of caliber.Rifles and cartridges have always been bought in phases.The 22 LR phase,the lever action phase(Still going on)the short action phase,the magnum phase.Been through all of them including the latest cartridge out phase.Some times two ,three phases can be going on at one time.Sometimes it confuses me??

Last edited by Huntz; 05/15/16.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've been through a few phases myself. The lever action phase and the hunting revolver phase lasted awhile. The magnum phase was short and although I had 5 different chamberings I never took a magnum afield.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
bangeye, I do it a little different. Get rifle/caliber proper for the biggest most dangerous game I will ever hunt, and use it for everything. I do, however, occasionally use a .223Rem. for prairie dogs. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I want one to pick up where the other leaves off in the ass department.

223,260,7RM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
30-06 for all

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
For centerfires, here are my categories.

Varmint rifle: .222rem to .243 Rem class.

General purpose hunting rifle. 6.5 Sweed to 30.06 class. This is your "old reliable", bolt action rifle with mid power optics suitable for antelope to elk at normal hunting ranges.

Thumper. .32+ Magnum for elk, moose, bear etc. .338 Win Mag is the quintessential cartridge in this range.

Long Range: 7mm STW, Ultra Mag etc., high powder optics with dials.

Brush gun. Lever action with iron sights.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Me - Its always been the rifle that caught my eye!
Not the cartridge.

As far as cartridges, my picks have simply been "time tested"!

Matter of fact, The "newest" cartridge I ever owned in a rifle was introduced in 1956.

Ray
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,995 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.