Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have had 3-4 7mm Remington Mags and really love the original concept and original ballistics (3260 with a 150 and 175 at 3020) but have a hard time loving the actual cartridge.

Today, the cartridge struggles to get anywhere near original ballistics. Mine have all been finicky, though some have been accurate with certain loads. What I haven't achieved with the big 7 is accuracy, velocity and lack of pressure with a given load. In fact, I have struggled to get much more than hot .280 or .280 AI velocity without pressure signs.

I have read in multiple places that the combination of a shorter neck and just the right shoulder angle lead to quick throat erosion, which causes some of the problems with the cartridges. My assumption is that this is what makes the cartridge in my words "finicky."

I can't seem to find an AI version of the cartridge on any reamer list so am thinking of designing a wildcat, unless something similar exists. My goals are as follows:

1. Stable, accurate cartridge that is not subject to odd pressure excursions.
2. Targeted ballistics of 3000 with a 175, 3100 with a 160 and 3200 with a 150 with below 64,000 PSI MAP (not having a ballistic lab, this may be hard to determine).
3. Ability to use 7mm Remington Mag ammo with no adverse consequences to gun or brass (other than fire forming).

I am thinking starting with a 7mm Rem case and:

1. increasing shoulder angle to 35-40 degrees
2. possible decreasing body taper, but maybe not
3. increasing leade to closer to tight Weatherby type freebore, Maybe .250" freebore of just over bullet diameter.

The 7mm Weatherby acheives all my goals other than number three so maybe that would be cheaper. Not sure what custom reamers and dies cost.

For those, who have created or messed with wildcats, what are your thoughts on the above?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not a 7mm Mashburn? It will do everything your asking and then some.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Les7603006
Why not a 7mm Mashburn? It will do everything your asking and then some.

I want available brass of the correct head stamp plus it probably would't be the best idea to shoot 7mm Rem Mag brass in the Mashburn chamber, though, I'm sure it could be done if needed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Get the Weatherby or the Mashburn. The homework has already been done. No sense reinventing the wheel as MANY have BTDT way before you even start. wink

The 7 Rem Mag has three drawbacks IMO:

a) Deep bullet seating (unnecessary in a 3.6" action like a rem 700 or M70)

b) neck is short

c) limited capacity.

You can't do anything to significantly improve the thing without too much hassle. The Mashburn is a FAR superior design in a belted H&H case.

If you want to max it out,then seat a 160 gr bullet to the base of the case neck,and put it in a 3.6" box.Throat accordingly. This is kind of like the free bore in the Weatherby.

After maybe 5-6 rifles built this way going clear back to the early 80's, I decided i don't want to roll that way anymore. I take the 7 Rem mag for what it is and built a Mashburn.....FAR superior and willing to please. Friend doing the same thing, have said the same things.

Headstamp brass? Get the Weatherby and problem solved.

But a pal who used to post here has killed all varieties of NA BG trophies 3 times over .. He is Dallas SCI member. He is working on Round #4 with a 7mm Mashburn Super and has traveled to Mexico and Canada several times with his hand loads the last 5-6 hers and never a problem.Killed a record book desert ram in Mexico recently on his second hunt.

He can afford anything he wants and today uses the Mashburn exclusively. With 175 gr TBBC's, he say it kills like his 300 Weatherby. smile

No one seems to mind that 7mm Mashburn brass is head stamped 300 win mag. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Get the Weatherby or the Mashburn. The homework has already been done. No sense reinventing the wheel as MANY have BTDT way before you even start. wink

The 7 Rem Mag has three drawbacks IMO:

a) Deep bullet seating (unnecessary in a 3.6" action like a rem 700 or M70)

b) neck is short

c) limited capacity.

You can't do anything to significantly improve the thing without too much hassle. The Mashburn is a FAR superior design in a belted H&H case.

If you want to max it out,then seat a 160 gr bullet to the base of the case neck,and put it in a 3.6" box.Throat accordingly. This is kind of like the free bore in the Weatherby.

After maybe 5-6 rifles built this way going clear back to the early 80's, I decided i don't want to roll that way anymore. I take the 7 Rem mag for what it is and built a Mashburn.....FAR superior and willing to please. Friend doing the same thing, have said the same things.

Headstamp brass? Get the Weatherby and problem solved.

But a pal who used to post here has killed all varieties of NA BG trophies 3 times over .. He is Dallas SCI member. He is working on Round #4 with a 7mm Mashburn Super and has traveled to Mexico and Canada several times with his hand loads the last 5-6 hers and never a problem.Killed a record book desert ram in Mexico recently on his second hunt.

He can afford anything he wants and today uses the Mashburn exclusively. With 175 gr TBBC's, he say it kills like his 300 Weatherby. smile

No one seems to mind that 7mm Mashburn brass is head stamped 300 win mag. smile

Bob, seeing how the 7mm rem mag is a POS. Maybe you can sell me that Len Brownell 7mm rem mag real cheap... Ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I have had 3-4 7mm Remington Mags and really love the original concept and original ballistics (3260 with a 150 and 175 at 3020) but have a hard time loving the actual cartridge.

Today, the cartridge struggles to get anywhere near original ballistics. Mine have all been finicky, though some have been accurate with certain loads. What I haven't achieved with the big 7 is accuracy, velocity and lack of pressure with a given load. In fact, I have struggled to get much more than hot .280 or .280 AI velocity without pressure signs.

I have read in multiple places that the combination of a shorter neck and just the right shoulder angle lead to quick throat erosion, which causes some of the problems with the cartridges. My assumption is that this is what makes the cartridge in my words "finicky."

I can't seem to find an AI version of the cartridge on any reamer list so am thinking of designing a wildcat, unless something similar exists. My goals are as follows:

1. Stable, accurate cartridge that is not subject to odd pressure excursions.
2. Targeted ballistics of 3000 with a 175, 3100 with a 160 and 3200 with a 150 with below 64,000 PSI MAP (not having a ballistic lab, this may be hard to determine).
3. Ability to use 7mm Remington Mag ammo with no adverse consequences to gun or brass (other than fire forming).

I am thinking starting with a 7mm Rem case and:

1. increasing shoulder angle to 35-40 degrees
2. possible decreasing body taper, but maybe not
3. increasing leade to closer to tight Weatherby type freebore, Maybe .250" freebore of just over bullet diameter.

The 7mm Weatherby acheives all my goals other than number three so maybe that would be cheaper. Not sure what custom reamers and dies cost.

For those, who have created or messed with wildcats, what are your thoughts on the above?

Mashburn... This is my first thought..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
OTOH I don't understand people struggling so much with the 7 Rem Mag. I have never owned one that would not give 3050 with a 160 gr bullet and 3200 with a 140. 150's sail out at about 3150 with JOC's old H4831loads.

Of course some are stubborn but they tend to be factory rifles with so-so barrels.

They also tend to shoot very well for me.

depsite all the back there is absolutely nothing i could killed with a Mashburn or a Weatherby that i could not kill as thoroughly or as far away with a properly loaded 7 Rem mag.

Sometimes we rifle looies worry about absolutely nothing at all. smile

[Linked Image]

Geez......pulled one cry

[Linked Image]

160 Bitterroot at 3090 fps . 6x6 bull elk. 7Rem mag. Neck smashed.

[Linked Image]

140 BBC and AB recovered from mule deer and black bear (DRT) started at 3200 fps from a 7 Rem mag.

[Linked Image]

Nuff said. We sure know how to complicate things on here.... wink smile

me included...

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/15/16.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Have a min spec 7RM reamer made up with a min spec 7WBY throat on the end. Handload accordingly.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Bob, How did your long-throated 7mm Rem Mags compare to the 7mm Weatherby in the velocity department?

Nosler shows case capacities to be identical between the two rounds with 160s.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bob, How did your long-throated 7mm Rem Mags compare to the 7mm Weatherby in the velocity department?

Nosler shows case capacities to be identical between the two rounds with 160s.

DMD: It seems to depend on the barrel. Keep in mind I have never owned a 7mm Weatherby so can't give a rifle to rifle comparison,and not sure it matters much anyway. I don't think one rifle is really conclusive.

But from a 24" barrel the best I got from any of my 7 Rem Mags was 3125 with a 160. That was a 24" 9 twist krieger throated for a 160 NPT with bullet base seated even with the base of the neck.I have seen some go faster but think friends and I were really pouring the coal to it.I just do not like doing that anymore.

I find that cases like the 7mm Dakota and 7mm Mashburn simply give more velocity because they hold more powder.

By saying that I don't mean to imply that the 7 Rem Mag is anemic.It s one of my handful of real favorites. smile

I thinkthat the Weatherby is loaded to higher pressures and has free bore, which should show some more speed.Adding free bore is like adding capacity.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/15/16.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Every Remington 700 and Browning A bolt stainless stalker I had with the addition of a good muzzle break, bedded, barrel freefloated would shoot tiny groups with 120,140, and 150g bullets. Current rifle shoots the 162g SST(very tough bullet) at 3130 fps with Retumbo and 215's, bullet touching the lands(bug hole three shot groups).

I really don't know the reason to improve the 7 RM unless you want to go to a Mashburn, then 160's at 3200 are ho humm(thank you Bob!)

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I just bought an early 80s Rem 700 Classic in 7mm Rem. Got it home and think it is unfired. I may have to get an action wrench and some take off barrels and do some experimenting.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

It's called the 7mm Hart.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm with BobinNH on the 7 Rem Mag. It may have some drawbacks but it's not a total loser. I've had a few of them. My current one has no problem getting 140's to 3300 with Rel22 or H4831sc and it's Rel25/160 Accubond load would probably average near 3000, I've never done the math. This is a factory 700 24" barrel.
The only drawback it really suffers from is lack of kool

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Grand

Thank you. Good to know. Can you use factory 7mm Rem to fire form?

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Grand

You don't mean a 7x61 S&H do you?

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rembo
I'm with BobinNH on the 7 Rem Mag. It may have some drawbacks but it's not a total loser. I've had a few of them. My current one has no problem getting 140's to 3300 with Rel22 or H4831sc and it's Rel25/160 Accubond load would probably average near 3000, I've never done the math. This is a factory 700 24" barrel.

I think the drawback for me is the 7mm Rem has been a disappointing cartridge for me. I always walk away from it thinking why don't I just use a .270? I am currently shooting 150 NPTs out of my 24" .270 and with RL26 getting 3000 fps and good accuracy without pushing hard. I have had difficulty getting a 7mm Rem to do much better but others have more experience with it and get it to do more.

Will it work on game? Absolutely. I'm just not enamored.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rembo

I think the drawback for me is the 7mm Rem has been a disappointing cartridge for me. I always walk away from it thinking why don't I just use a .270? I am currently shooting 150 NPTs out of my 24" .270 and with RL26 getting 3000 fps and good accuracy without pushing hard. I have had difficulty getting a 7mm Rem to do much better but others have more experience with it and get it to do more.

Will it work on game? Absolutely. I'm just not enamored.

Lots of people have struggled with thee same comparisons. Sure you can align things n a rifle chambered for 270 so that it gets closeto a 7 Rem mag, but that will vary across the board from rifle to rifle.

On weighted averages in the same barrel length, the 7 RemMag will always outdistance the 270.And the more you run them both past 300yards the more visible this will become....provided of course you run them both optimally.

The reason sis very simple....the 7 Rem Mag is a bigger case holding more powder and capable of greater velocity. That is a constant that will never change, even with modern slow burning powders.

If you can get the 270 to do "X", at the same pressures you can get a 7 Rem mag to beat it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have factory 7mmRM in Rem700, Sav110, Ruger #1, and Browning 1885.

I have built 7mmRM rifles on a VZ24 action, a Rem700 action, Mosin Nagant action, and a couple on 1908 Brazilian Mauser actions.

That is (9) 7mmRemMag rifles, and I will build a 10th by October.

Hodgdon max load is 59 gr H4350 with 140 gr 2,927 fps 50,000 CUP, but I find the threshold of extractor groove growth to be at 72 gr.
I find 70 gr 3.34" Nosler Ballistic tip moly has plenty of safety margin for all my rifles over all my hunting temperature ranges to ensure long brass life over many years. It varies between rifles, but typically 3400 fps over the chrono.

I have shot enough animals with a 300WM and with the 270 to know that with my humble skill level, the 7mmRM is the highest power/ accuracy combination in a 10 pound rifle/scope/sling/bipod/rear bag/ammo total.

If I could pack around heavier rifles, I would start building 338s.
If I want to build an ultralight, I will go down to 270, 6.5-06, 25-06, or 6mmRem.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
IN my 700's in 7RM:

72-73g of R#25
Win mag primer-***
154g Hornady Sp
bullet touching the lands
sub 1/2" groups
3200+ fps
Rem brass
have shot this load in half a dozen 7 mags, very accurate and fast; rough on primer pockets; very low ES

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 3,352 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,505
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.