Hop To
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Folks ,
Ive been thinking of buying a progressive press setup . I was all set to go with the 650 and a buddy just showed me his Hornady .He was loading 38 Spec. and it was going smoothly . He doesn't have a case feeder and I would purchase that with either press I decide on . Both have great service and cost isn't too far apart .

I like Varget for .223 and from what Ive read its a tough load on the 650 , the Horn. doesn't seem to have problems with extruded powder . Again that's what I read I have no first hand knowledge.

But I also load 38 / 357 - 44 mag -30-06 - and 22K Hornet , so I would like to be able to do it all on whatever press I purchase .

Can you shooters / reloaders please help me out here?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.
Semper Fi
Soup

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a friend that used a LNL for several years and recently upgraded to a Dillon, planning on keeping the LNL as a backup or dedicate it to one caliber. After getting the Dillon he couldn't get rid of the LNL fast enough.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I have a friend that used a LNL for several years and recently upgraded to a Dillon, planning on keeping the LNL as a backup or dedicate it to one caliber. After getting the Dillon he couldn't get rid of the LNL fast enough.

It is best to start where you would end up anyway and get the Dillon. The loaders and support is unmatched in the reloading industry. It just isn't any more simple than that...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two dedicated progressive presses

Never ever yearned for a Dillon 650

I do have a Dillon swag....but that's the only piece of blue I will probably own

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I started with Dillon years before H came out.

I have no reason to want to switch.

I've loaded on a L/L given to a junior shooting program, there is no way I'd buy one with my own money over a Dillon.

Just my take.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've got a LNL with the case feeder. I'm still fiddling with it to get it to reliably feed 222/223 cases. Its at about 95% right now, but that 5% can be frustrating. It is a nice press and I think a bit less expensive to get into additional calibers. A friend has a D650 and says it just runs and runs with no fiddling. If I were to do it over (and had the extra money) I'd go with the Dillon but I don't feel handicapped by the LNL.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Sub'd as this is on my short list as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have experience with a LnL, but I do with an RCBS.

Thought of it as a nice setup....until I used a Dillon.

I don't use the RCBS unit anymore, and if I see a need to use a progressive, I will go straight to Dillon.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Does any thing meter Varget well ?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"ve run enough Varget on a dillon and varget isn't real sensitive to powder charges, its worked fine over the years.

Of course I managed to have my dillon bar redone to be more accurate.

If you develop your load correctly a few tenths one way or another won't matter for mid range to short range, IE say 300 yards and less.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh yeah, as much as it amazes me, the cheap lee powder measure has done better on hard to meter powder, than anything else.. wouldn't believe cheap Lee was good for much of anything until I saw it for myself....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a LNL. I of course bought it because it was a good deal. Between Cabela's bucks and 500 bullets it was pretty cheap. It requires a little tinkering every now and then but I have pumped out a lot of bullets on it.

NRA Life Member
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
TTT

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rost495
I"ve run enough Varget on a dillon and varget isn't real sensitive to powder charges, its worked fine over the years.

If you develop your load correctly a few tenths one way or another won't matter for mid range to short range, IE say 300 yards and less.

Rost, what have you done to your Dillon powder dispenser to make it work with Varget? Or have you adapted to an RCBS or similar powder dispenser?

My Dillon dispenser doesn't work acceptably with any stick powders I've tried, even the short grain stuff like Benchmark. If I'm loading with stick powders I put an RCBS dispenser on instead.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Everyone I've known that ran a Dillon has taper reamed the throat of the powder dispenser to better work with stick powders. I've not seen it done but it seems to be common knowledge so I'm sure there are instructions out there.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
The problem mine has with stick powders isn't the powder funnel (the part people ream to prevent powder bridging) but the charge bar itself hanging up on the sticks of powder. An RCBS or whatever just cuts the sticks, but the Dillon doesn't have the force to do that, so it jams.

Last edited by Yondering; 05/19/16.
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Varget and long extruded powders in general seem to be the problem .
Is anyone using a 650 in 223 with Varget and getting acceptable measures of powder ?
Soup

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dillon all the way.

Clos

NRA Life Member

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by rost495

Rost, what have you done to your Dillon powder dispenser to make it work with Varget? Or have you adapted to an RCBS or similar powder dispenser?

My Dillon dispenser doesn't work acceptably with any stick powders I've tried, even the short grain stuff like Benchmark. If I'm loading with stick powders I put an RCBS dispenser on instead.

Mine is ancient.. from the 80s IIRC. Its never had an issue with Varget or RL15. Bridging was more a worry than a few grains one way or the other, and I learned to wiggle or jiggle the handle at every top and bottom stroke IIRC.

Then, when we are about done shooting tons of ammo every year, I sent my bar off to be adapted to measure better and have a micrometer setting on the end also that could get you in the area quicker... thats was probably circa 2000 or just after. NO clue who did it.

Don't think I"ve loaded a round on the dillon since it came back.

And now that the server in the head is spinning a bit, I may recall putting stiffer springs on the bar or shortening them??? For a reason???

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 3,096 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,757
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.