Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Axtell
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by smokepole

Axtell is also the guy who touts the fact that he weighs his powder charges using a jeweler's scale to the nearest 0.02 grain, and claims that this makes a difference.

I have no patience for such claims.

Had a discussion with one of the Nation's top PRS shooters about this very subject. He's been weighing charges to the granule and has seen SD's for strings of 30 rounds reduced to 8

OK, but can any improvement from this be reliably resolved on target?

Which brick do you take out of a wall that allows the whole structure fall apart ?

I will not knowingly degrade my standards to the Lee powder dipper method, which btw are pretty good for hunting grade ammo inside 200 or so yards.

While not charged with a Lee Dipper, these loads were all thrown with a Quick Measure, not trickled, and not weighed individually. These groups won't win any BR records, but I doubt that observed results would improve noticeably by increasing the precision of my powder charging technique.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Axtell is also the guy who touts the fact that he weighs his powder charges using a jeweler's scale to the nearest 0.02 grain, and claims that this makes a difference. I have no patience for such claims.
Had a discussion with one of the Nation's top PRS shooters about this very subject. He's been weighing charges to the granule and has seen SD's for strings of 30 rounds reduced to 8

Yes it can, except most people don't have the ability, equipment, or desire, to do so.

Here's 2.3" 1000 yard BR target:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aalf

Axtell is also the guy who touts the fact that he weighs his powder charges using a jeweler's scale to the nearest 0.02 grain, and claims that this makes a difference. I have no patience for such claims.

Yes it can, except most people don't have the ability, equipment, or desire, to do so.

[Linked Image]

It really comes down to accuracy requirements vs. time/volume of ammo production. For plinking, throwing a good load with my QM can get right around 0.5MOA accuracy or better, as shown in the group pics above. That is with a variety of barrels, ranging from factory to top end. But if I'm going to a LR competition, I'll take the time to weigh each charge with scrutiny. Same with the BR game, the accuracy requirements are higher, and the need to produce ammo in high volumes is lower.

Interestingly, the chrono results Rick quoted above show more meaningful SD values than most. When we start to get 30-50+ shots included in an SD calculation, that increases the confidence in the sample representing the load's performance. I think most guys who claim tiny SD's based on a few shots over the chrono, would be disappointed if they kept shooting until they had 30 rounds measured and factored into the SD value.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

[Linked Image]

While I agree 1000 yard benchrest would be the ideal proving ground, I can't agree what you've shown constitutes proof of concept. That would need a few blind tests.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

It really comes down to accuracy requirements vs. time/volume of ammo production. For plinking, throwing a good load with my QM can get right around 0.5MOA accuracy or better, as shown in the group pics above. That is with a variety of barrels, ranging from factory to top end. But if I'm going to a LR competition, I'll take the time to weigh each charge with scrutiny. Same with the BR game, the accuracy requirements are higher, and the need to produce ammo in high volumes is lower.

Interestingly, the chrono results Rick quoted above show more meaningful SD values than most. When we start to get 30-50+ shots included in an SD calculation, that increases the confidence in the sample representing the load's performance. I think most guys who claim tiny SD's based on a few shots over the chrono, would be disappointed if they kept shooting until they had 30 rounds measured and factored into the SD value.

All true. My first sentence was to address the notion that it can't be seen on a target. Most don't pursue the ultimate results for whatever reason. I dump powder all the time with a measure for various things, but I do weigh every charge for stuff that matters, like 1000 yard Benchrest. Anyone can shoot a small group, but attention to details ensures a repeat performance.

BTW, 1 grain of Varget does weigh .02 grains.... grin

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I agree 1000 yard benchrest would be the ideal proving ground, I can't agree what you've shown constitutes proof of concept. That would need a few blind tests.

I've shot 1K BR long enough to prove it on paper.....

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I've shot 1K BR long enough to prove it on paper.....

Not knowing which ammo you were shooting for a given group in a series of say ten groups, with perturbations of one kernel of powder vs. dead nuts?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not knowing which ammo you were shooting for a given group in a series of say ten groups, with perturbations of one kernel of powder vs. dead nuts?

How about you prove it doesn't matter......

Have you got the ability and equipment?

[Linked Image]

62 pounds with an 8" forend and 3" butt makes for a pretty good test vehicle....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I won't be weighing to the 1/100 grain, believe me wink

I'm an Audette developer dude and weigh on an RCBS 750 to the .1 grain if I can keep it zeroed and calibrated crazy

The Audette seems to produce the same results or results that are just as good on the target......

800 yards...

[Linked Image]

1370 yards....

[Linked Image]

1610 yards...

[Linked Image]

1825 yards...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

How about you prove it doesn't matter......

Have you got the ability and equipment?

[Linked Image]

62 pounds with an 8" forend and 3" butt makes for a pretty good test vehicle....

I thought you might go that way with the discussion, but it doesn't really address the question. Make no mistake, I'm not of the belief that since I can't do it then you can't either. I know I don't have the skill and equipment to resolve such a fine detail. To prove it does/doesn't matter requires the equipment and skill you possess. My sticking point is you'd need to run a several blind tests.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rick,

I agree that it's not always necessary to weigh charges with the utmost scrutiny to get pretty darn good results on LR targets. Here are a few more of mine. These are also all thrown loads. Notice the vertical on the longer targets...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought you might go that way with the discussion, but it doesn't really address the question. Make no mistake, I'm not of the belief that since I can't do it then you can't either. I know I don't have the skill and equipment to resolve such a fine detail. To prove it does/doesn't matter requires the equipment and skill you possess. My sticking point is you'd need to run a several blind tests.

I knew I was going there too...... wink

We agree more than we disagree, but when I'm loading for a match, it doesn't take any longer to weigh to the kernel than not. I use a Sartourios that weighs to the hundredth, but I don't fret over a couple either way.

1K BR is all about the details, so stacking tolerances will not bode well in the end. There may be more than one thing I do that may or may not make a difference, but the expense of testing every one is too costly in a $600 barrel, but costs nothing to do, except a little time.

I've set enough club, state, and world records to prove what I do is not for naught....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

1K 10 shot groups can be more telling in your loads....

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

We agree more than we disagree, but when I'm loading for a match, it doesn't take any longer to weigh to the kernel than not. I use a Sartourios that weighs to the hundredth, but I don't fret over a couple either way.

1K BR is all about the details, so stacking tolerances will not bode well in the end. There may be more than one thing I do that may or may not make a difference, but the expense of testing every one is too costly in a $600 barrel, but costs nothing to do, except a little time.

I've set enough club, state, and world records to prove what I do is not for naught....

The other poster did fret over them though, and in a less exacting discipline IIRC. That's what got me started.

I appreciate a good conversation, so thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
aalf,

There is no question that 10-shot groups are absolutely more telling than 2,3, or even 5. Having said that, nobody is as picky as the BR guys when it comes to absolute accuracy, and groups that would probably place you in last place, would likely put a big grin on the face of most other shooters, even competitors in other disciplines. You don't need to be able to put 10 shots into groups in the 0.3's to hit a 1.5 MOA steel plate or a deer at 700 yards wink

For competing, each cartridge should get the utmost attention, but for plinking, mass-produced ammo that shoots 0.5 or better is perfect, at least IMHO.

Excellent shooting, BTW!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The other poster did fret over them though, and in a less exacting discipline IIRC. That's what got me started.

I appreciate a good conversation, so thanks.

Yea, we didn't get too side tracked....

And to summarize (repeat?), it still takes ability, equipment, and desire.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
nobody is as picky as the BR guys when it comes to absolute accuracy

Usually the definition anal...thanks. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If anyone is interested in a peek inside Litz' mind when it comes to analyzing accuracy and precision of chronograph's you can read here;
http://appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/ChronographChapter.pdf

I've also read his experiences with the LabRadar and I'll poke around and edit in a link if I can find it again.

With the LabRadar, which gives velocities at several user determined distances, you can calculate the actual BC for your elevation and environmental conditions. From actual bullet drops.

I use Litz's BC's to get in the ball park, they are actually pretty close.

Inherent in this statement is an assumption that your LabRadar unit is more accurate than what Litz is using. They claim 0.1% accuracy which makes for 3fps error on a 3000fps capture. Litz' Oehler was similar for precision (though I can't comment on accuracy because his 12ft Oehler was his comparison standard).

Axtell, I'm curious how you conduct your "field testing" to measure your BC's and plot out your drag curves. Is your "field testing" based on your LabRadar? Or are you using an Infinition or other doppler radar system from work? Because here's the thing; the folks at LabRadar told me the best I can hope for in capturing velocities downrange is about 150 yards with a 30 cal if I'm lucky (progressively less as the caliber shrinks). Also they told me I can't put the unit further down range like Bartholome and Litz do with the Oehler on occasion to stretch out the drag curve. They don't work like that. Does that mean you're calculating your BC's using 150yard data and extrapolating beyond to build your drag curves and get your G7 and drop values? Or are you taking drop data and backing it into your computer to give you a BC?

Help me understand as I'm simple and confused.

RCarmuglia,
It's interesting that your friend cited a SD of 8 for a 30 shot string. A long time ago, Bob Jensen who loaded the ammo for the 92 Palma matches cited a sigma 7 as the holy grail for 600 yard loads in my sport (Highpower Rifle). (I'd have to check what N was attached to that). What's interesting is he dumped powder for the 92 Palma Ammo. He shared that he got his sigma 7 through means other than granule accurate powder charging. I think he attributed testing primer lots by shooting primer powered bb's out of a special rig over a chrono to test their consistency and force (he said softer was better). Alan Warner feels otherwise on powder charges. He told me that kernel counting powder charges was the way to consistent elevations at 1K. I think he was trying to rationalize his purchase of his Prometheus. I have a Gen1 and it doesn't make me hold elevation like the Tompkins clan.

Last edited by ChrisF; 05/19/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's Litz' early impressions of the LabRadar;
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/preliminary-labradar-testing.3871199/

What's also worth reading are posts 7 thru 10 of this thread, where he essentially voices what I did above along with a few other things that I didn't think of such as trajectory angle skewing the calculations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He and 2 others are using a $550 scale that measures to the 1/100 grain. Not sure of the name. They also use a special powder trickler.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 78 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,748
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.