Print Thread
Hop To
F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I have a Savage model 6 semi auto and it has not worked for quite a while, can't pull the trigger and bolt won't slide back. Problem started years ago when it would fail to eject or feed a new round, had a gunsmith repair it but after a few hundred rounds problem started over again, as I mentioned it won't do anything now. Is there a possibility that I can purchase a complete new bolt and associated parts, if so where might I be able to find such parts. I would really like to start shooting this old gun again.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Check out Gunparts Corp. Some guys like em and some guys don't, but they do semester to be the best source for old gun parts. Best of luck - signed "a Savage fan."

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it is just a Model 6 without any following letter you may have a very difficult time finding parts - the first version operated different than all the later ones from 6A on and the change to a version 6A were made shortly after the model was was introduced. Numrich list very few parts for the original version model 6 and I am not sure if what they have listed is correct.

There were a lot of changes made to these so it maybe difficult determining what parts will work unless it's know exactly what version gun they were removed from.

Gene
F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by GeneB
If it is just a Model 6 without any following letter you may have a very difficult time finding parts - the first version operated different than all the later ones from 6A on and the change to a version 6A were made shortly after the model was was introduced. Numrich list very few parts for the original version model 6 and I am not sure if what they have listed is correct.

There were a lot of changes made to these so it maybe difficult determining what parts will work unless it's know exactly what version gun they were removed from.

It's just a Model 6, went out this morning and got it to shoot a few rounds, it has a problem picking up the first round and the tube where you load the ammo was really stiff, shot five rounds then one round did not fire and I pulled back the bolt and let it go forward, the round went off on it's own. I took it apart and found a screw that is attached to the part that pushes up the next round, it was loose, I lubed the tube where you insert the loaded rounds and it is not quite as stiff, I oiled all the internal parts, going to try it again and see if the issue is resolved. Thanks for the information.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The original version of these did not have any 'gills' and the bolt was not held open after each shot until the trigger was released like all later versions. The magazine parts & feeding appears to be the same though.

I have never found the early parts listed in any Savage literature - later parts list have a foot note that they will only convert the guns to the later improved design - so even though you have just a 6, if it were ever sent in to the factory for repair it may work like a 6A. If the bolt is held open until the trigger is released it's been updated.

Here is an old picture of some Model 6 actions, top is a first type Model 6, middle is a Model 602 in 22 short only and bottom a later version -
[Linked Image]
Note the lightened parts in the 602, the sides of the bolt are milled down and the cocking knob is dished out to remove mass. It also has a shorter ejection port and fewer gills than the standard versions.

Another picture showing the actions closed, note the lifter made of formed wire on the Model 6 (top) -
[Linked Image]

Here is a parts list that has the note at the bottom about the 'obsolete' version that include the Model 6 that they will update them at "a cost of $17.50" -
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 05/18/16.

Gene
IC B2

F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks for the information, went out yesterday and tried to see if cleaning it along with some lubrication would help, had one misfire, had to recock the bolt, fired 10 rounds as fat as I could pull the trigger, no misfires, keeping my fingers crossed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,700
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.