Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
middle post, front.... put whatever, carry the load with an engineered lam beam from post one, through the middle to post 3 or whatever the number....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
middle post, front.... put whatever, carry the load with an engineered lam beam from post one, through the middle to post 3 or whatever the number....

I suspect the ties are more for decay-proofing the foundation than for structural... and a torsion box floor or similar will sit on the ties... direct contact or even damp crawlspaces would eat an engineered beam before they got it built.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wel I think I'm going to try and remove that rock using some Ecobust to break up that rock. That seems like the best way to deal with this damned thing and make me feel good about that post being secure.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it's in the middle it's only breaking a 16' span into two 8's right.?

It seems like you could pour some concrete over the top of the rock leaving a flat surface and just use a block to support the floor beam there since it's only a mid span. Leave enough room to use some wood shims that you can add to or knock out later if it heaves or settles. Just throwing out ideas....

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The rock would be a better footer than anything you would do... and it is likely deep enough to not matter on heaving.

I am not in favor of making extra work for myself. Sounds like you are! wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The rock would be a better footer than anything you would do... and it is likely deep enough to not matter on heaving.

^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What is the span for your posts?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Yep. If the frost isn't very deep there, and it sounds like it isn't, that big old rock will probably be the best footer you've got. Then again, it would sure suck to have to jack and shim 8 posts because the big old rock is so stable and steady that it doesn't sink like the rest. crazy

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
For a single story cabin that is not subject to cold regions design requirements, you may find that doweling into a good sized rock and casting a short concrete pier or pad to support an adjustable "Simpson EPB" bracket (if available in your AO) 6" to a foot above grade will adequately support your 4x floor girder. If you're using RR ties for floor framing, shim using a treated 4x4 (flat) in the EPB. If you keep the exposed threaded base short, they are good for around 3,000 pounds. For the stubby pier, you can use a precast pier block with a center hole set on a pad of concrete above the rock in various fashions.

Insert standard engineering design liability boilerplate here for the above limited suggestions based upon very limited information....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
hmm... not familiar at all with torsion box. I've read it before in the code books but never seen it. Will have to read back up on it again

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just chopper-in a backhoe and dig the rock out.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'll vote Sitka's idea, especially since you've already sunk 7 of 8.

But ain't it just the way for rocktop #8 to be middle front??

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
hmm... not familiar at all with torsion box. I've read it before in the code books but never seen it. Will have to read back up on it again

Torsion boxes make a TON of sense in remote locations because they use a lot less material to build a really stiff floor. Slick way to go but they need sound deadening insulation of some kind to prevent a drum effect...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
`Much ado about not much..

If it were me, I'd dig down around the rockto good base (you mentioned it wasn't deep ) about 14-16 inches deep , or to a 3X3 foot square at least 6 inches deep (reinforce if you feel like it), whichever came first and pour a concrete slab to grade level or slightly above and either put in a - as mentioned before- custom built to tie adjustable device, or block to specs.

That rock seems golden to me.

And that's overbuilding I think. The best way to do things. It is after all a mid- support. The screw up or down devise would be more in favor with me than blocking. Simpler down the road. If ever needed.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
`Much ado about not much..

If it were me, I'd dig down around the rockto good base (you mentioned it wasn't deep ) about 14-16 inches deep , or to a 3X3 foot square at least 6 inches deep (reinforce if you feel like it), whichever came first and pour a concrete slab to grade level or slightly above and either put in a - as mentioned before- custom built to tie adjustable device, or block to specs.

That rock seems golden to me.

And that's overbuilding I think. The best way to do things. It is after all a mid- support. The screw up or down devise would be more in favor with me than blocking. Simpler down the road.
If ever
When needed.

Fixt

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (160user, 44mc, 3333vl, 2UP, 1eyedmule, 308ld, 12 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.