Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Tides are affected by both the moon and the sun in addition to the earth's rotation. It will be higher and lower during a new moon because both the moon and sun are on the same side of the earth which multiplies the gravitational pull.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by milespatton
Old man here used to talk about the moon phase and post holes. How some times you barely had enough dirt to fill in around the post and sometimes way too much. He laid it off on the moon. Lots of old timers believed in doing about everything by the almanac. miles

Dang...I should have checked before this morning's work. I need to know if I should go back out after lunch or not. Not to worried though, I can find a little dirt if I need more. However, the lighting this morning did have me worried.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've mooned a few holes in the ground. Sometimes the dirt won't all fit in after I'm done.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ralphie, we try to band and tag calves as they are born out in the pasture. A couple small 200-300 acre pieces where we winter and feed. Drive around in the pickup and I rope them on foot. Grouchy cows make for a daily adrenaline rush!

Don, the only thing we schedule around is semi trucks and the weather. Only 3 weeks late this year and there are some BIG fricken calves right now.

But we are almost done with 'Hell week', aka one of my least favorite weeks of the year.

Couldn't find ANY help yesterday so dad and I branded/vaccinated over 50 by ourselves before we lucked out and someone answered the phone. Big 20 year old 'kid' saved our ass, he was a great worker and even he was getting tired out.

Still didn't get done sorting off a couple more semi loads pf pairs until it got too dark to read ear tags.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ralphie
Nice Rommel reins! Would love another picture of them sometime.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The moon phase was a major consideration when we branded, castrated and dehorned. It was important that the moon phase was within a month of when we did it...

wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sam we couldn't get any help if we used a table lol. We are branding 300 calves at the Lakeview ranch on the 4th of Jun, will have a crew of about 20 to 25. We feed them a big Tri-tip lunch and all the beer they want after the branding. We use a knife to cut and earmark, head and heal everything. Will have about 8 ropers up at a time. We don't separate the calves from the cows, found out the calves are quieter that way. On the moon thing we don't follow it, probably some truth to it though. My guess it has something to do with atmosphereic pressure. Ed

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by m_s_s
Sam we couldn't get any help if we used a table lol.

Ed, I know what you mean!

laughing

We used to wrestle calves, back when my brother and were in school and had a lot of friends.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My dad cut studs for people in a 100-mile radius for many years and always cut by the moon sign. We branded this past Saturday. Great weather and great crew. I will quit ranching before I'd use a calf table and we sort no cows out from the herd. Calves stay quieter and it is easier to stalk the few wild ones with cows in with the calves. Given the choice, we use calf-wrestlers, but we have also used Nordforks when short on help.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have used Nordfork, three Cowboys can work a lot of calves in a day with one. Worst branding I was ever at was when me and this other fool roped and branded 35 calves by ourselves lol. Had to rope and tie off on every calf lol, never got so tired on getting off and on a horse in my life lol. A Nordfork would have been damn handy at that one. Ed

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nordforks can be great with good ropers and one good man on the ground who knows how to quickly and correctly put them on. I sort of prefer them, actually. For years we just used a stake, inner tube, and a rope with a loop. I utilized that technique in my novel, LOOKING FOR LYNNE, where a small crew hires out to brand 1000 calves. Good calf wrestlers are getting harder and harder to find. We had some good kids Saturday but they were long on enthusiasm but short on technique.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.