Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i was kind of snooping around on the net and saw a number of 25-5's for sale, but almost all were 6 1/2inch. the two i saw with a four inch barrel were both over a 1000dollar bill.

Is that the way it is now? Scarce?

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
OH MY yes! They have been over a grand (for a NICE one) for a couple years now. Here's a 25-5 4" nickel to spice up this thread!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dammit Desertoakie! You posted the single, irresistible handgun to me. My credit card is about to free itself from my wallet...

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beautiful!

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DesertOakie, that is a mighty handsome .45 Colt! grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you luck into a 625 pre-lock mountain gun in 45 colt for under a thousand you are living a charmed life. I think 625-7 was the last pre-lock gun. That said any mountain gun with a lock for under a thousand is a good deal.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
mine is not as purty by far as that one in the picture, but i did acquire a 4inch a few years ago and had it out today.
when i got it from out of state it had some rust on the right side of the frame near the front and on the front of the crane. I got it off and touched it up as best as i could.
the guy that owned it didn't shoot it much no signs of wear, he just didn't store his stuff properly.
I got a 270rcbssaa running at about 950fps and was thinking how close it is to some 41magnum and 44magnum loads i use.
But without all the drama.
I do have to size bullets up to .454 tho, which is okay cause thats what the mold throws them at.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Beautiful specimen, oak.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
mine is not as purty by far as that one in the picture, but i did acquire a 4inch a few years ago and had it out today.
when i got it from out of state it had some rust on the right side of the frame near the front and on the front of the crane. I got it off and touched it up as best as i could.
the guy that owned it didn't shoot it much no signs of wear, he just didn't store his stuff properly.
I got a 270rcbssaa running at about 950fps and was thinking how close it is to some 41magnum and 44magnum loads i use.
I do have to size bullets up to .454 tho, which is okay cause thats what the mold throws them at.

I got in some of those bullets from Western Bullet company last week. I've put about fifty together with 9 grains of Unique. Hoping to land in about that same 950 to 1000 fps frame.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

I got in some of those bullets from Western Bullet company last week. I've put about fifty together with 9 grains of Unique. Hoping to land in about that same 950 to 1000 fps frame.

i pulled out a box i loaded in 2011 last night, i used 17.5grains of 2400. and marked 1000fps on the box. I think this is above most published loads, but is from a brian pearce article on that particular bullet some years ago. It was broken down into different pressure/load levels, was in the second category. But he rated it safe in most modern firearms. I do know i fired some in a 83/8inch smith 45colt. Impressive what the pentad hollow point did. I measured one after expansion at about .90 something. I think in that long barrel it was running over 1100fps. In rereading the article, i think next time i load some i am going to use unique or another powder to cut down on the amount used. 9grains of unique seems about right, and i have used that before. I don't know if i would use it in a first generation, but it worked okay in the vaquero's i was firing it in. in that article, pearce referenced 9grains of unique at 991fps, and 10grains at 1057fps. these are in the 20000psi group which he considered safe in"u.s. firearms revolvers 100%american made after year 2000, colt new service, ruger new vaquero and smith&wesson post WWII n Frames including models 25 and 625mountain guns.
the next group up was 32000psi limited to blackhawks, vaquero(old) colt anaconda or other modern revolvers designed to stand up to it including freedom arms model 83, redhawk, and super redhawk. in this category among the loads is H110 at 25grains for 1387 fps. Ouch. Top load.
what i am more interested in are the 20000psi loads. Where 9 to 9.5grains of power pistol, 9 to 10grains of unique, 8.5grains of titegroup would give me around that 1000fps target within the 20000psi pressure group.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/19/16.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Love my 25-5! Wish it had a 4" barrel instead of the 6". If anyone has a lead on a take off 4" barrel I would appreciate it. Just can't bring myself to have it cut down.

I got the gun back in 2012 after I retired. Was at a BBQ and over a few beers guns became one of the topics. An older man said he had a ".45" he wanted to get rid of and was looking for a small 9mm for his wife to carry. Being curious I asked what kind he had. He went into the house and came out with a virtually unfired 25-5!! Red ramp, white outline, target trigger and hammer. I asked what kind of 9mm he was looking for? He said, "some kind of small Glock."

I hopped on my quad and rode the 3 miles back to my house. I went into the safe and grabbed a Glock 26 that I used to carry when working plain clothes and off-duty. Also, grabbed all the accessories; mags, holsters, defensive ammo, etc... Along with a wad of cash.

Rode back to the BBQ and showed him the gun and accessories. That was exactly what he had in mind!

I told him I was getting the better end of the deal and I wanted to throw in some cash to even the trade, he refused. Knowing that I'm an instructor with a range on my property, he said we could work out the difference teaching his wife to shoot it. Saying it would probably prevent a divorce and alimony payments, which would cost him more in the long run.

We became good friends.

When I first started out in law enforcement (1984) there were several agencies in the county that had allowed 25-5's as duty carry. Santa Ana and Anaheim were two of the main ones. I was always impressed then I saw the guns and the size of the speed loaders on their belts. Most of the shootings they had with those guns were one or two shot stops. There wasn't a lot of spraying and praying back then.

Respectfully,
Dave

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by OCSarge
Love my 25-5! Wish it had a 4" barrel instead of the 6". If anyone has a lead on a take off 4" barrel I would appreciate it. Just can't bring myself to have it cut down.

I got the gun back in 2012 after I retired. Was at a BBQ and over a few beers guns became one of the topics. An older man said he had a ".45" he wanted to get rid of and was looking for a small 9mm for his wife to carry. Being curious I asked what kind he had. He went into the house and came out with a virtually unfired 25-5!! Red ramp, white outline, target trigger and hammer. I asked what kind of 9mm he was looking for? He said, "some kind of small Glock."

I hopped on my quad and rode the 3 miles back to my house. I went into the safe and grabbed a Glock 26 that I used to carry when working plain clothes and off-duty. Also, grabbed all the accessories; mags, holsters, defensive ammo, etc... Along with a wad of cash.

Rode back to the BBQ and showed him the gun and accessories. That was exactly what he had in mind!

I told him I was getting the better end of the deal and I wanted to throw in some cash to even the trade, he refused. Knowing that I'm an instructor with a range on my property, he said we could work out the difference teaching his wife to shoot it. Saying it would probably prevent a divorce and alimony payments, which would cost him more in the long run.

We became good friends.

When I first started out in law enforcement (1984) there were several agencies in the county that had allowed 25-5's as duty carry. Santa Ana and Anaheim were two of the main ones. I was always impressed then I saw the guns and the size of the speed loaders on their belts. Most of the shootings they had with those guns were one or two shot stops. There wasn't a lot of spraying and praying back then.

Respectfully,
Dave

dave, if you live at paulden, you have half the prescott national forest as your range. Gunsite is there too, not to mention the prescott sportsman's range in chino. That has been my stomping grounds since a kid in the 50's. You are not far from the old route from the original ft whipple at del rio springs over to kingman. I have found a bunch of stuff from the wagon wheel days in that area. i am pretty sure i know where there is a bear living, about 25miles up the road from you. Been trying to get my daughter interested in chasing it.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/19/16.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ron,
Live right on the edge of the PNF. I ride my quads, hunt and camp there all the time. I know all about Gunsite in more ways than you can imagine. Basically, I'm there all the time. I've driven by the CV range, never shot there. There is nothing like having your own two hundred yard range right out your garage door!

Also, love getting up into the Kaibab NF. Hunt and fish up there all the time. Was up there chasing turkeys around this spring. Saw a bunch of hens, no gobblers. They were pretty tight lipped this year. More than a few bears up by Pocket Lake.

Oh yea, this is supposed to be about 25-5's. usually wear it when chasing Javalina.

Dave

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
although she is deceased now, and sold it off long time ago, my aunt owned a section of land just before reaching gunsite.
cooper use to be a client of mine when i worked at a bank in prescott.
as to where you live, i was in a taxidermists place in prescott few years ago. He was making a full length lion mount with an arrow stuck in its nose. a archery hunter was getting ready to fire at a deer felt uncomfortable turned and shot tabby as it was getting ready to pounce on him.
it ran off, he went back to truck got a gun and found it bled out. game and fish ruled it self defense and let met keep it. that happened up between paulden and ashfork.
and one of the reasons i like large caliber handguns these days.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,716
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.