Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I find it hard to equate the forged Howa action with a one-piece forged bolt with those others you mentioned, especially when some of your "good" ones have bolts that are brazed composites notorious for falling apart now and again.(this is a good chance for someone to post their pictures of Remington bolts with no handle eek )

Used rifles can be great buys, but only if tha buyer has the know-how to sort the wheat from the chaff. Sometimes there's a good reason why they're on the used rack and the last thing our boy needs is a problem or a project.

Last edited by Pappy348; 05/21/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Blue/Synthetic Tikka T3. You can find them with Burris FFII 3-9s for an even better deal.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd look for a good deal on a used Win70 XTR.

Or a Ruger 77 tanger or MKII.

There are lots of good deals on used 30-06s.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I find it hard to equate the forged Howa action with a one-piece forged bolt with those others you mentioned, especially when some of your "good" ones have bolts that are brazed composites notorious for falling apart now and again.(this is a good chance for someone to post their pictures of Remington bolts with no handle eek )

Used rifles can be great buys, but only if tha buyer has the know-how to sort the wheat from the chaff. Sometimes there's a good reason why they're on the used rack and the last thing our boy needs is a problem or a project.

I'd take a good Remington 700 mountain rifle over a clunker Howa any day of the week and twice on sunday. However, there's economy based rifles that are just as good as either. Just shot my buddies savage 11/111 XP Trophy hunter 22-250 and it's a true sub moa "all day long" rifle. If I were counting my pennies and just had to have a new rifle as the OP suggests, that's the route I'd take. They shoot great, have an excellent trigger, handle well, etc. etc. Hell, they even come as a package with a scope...What more could a guy ask for? whistle

Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I'd look for a good deal on a used Win70 XTR.

Or a Ruger 77 tanger or MKII.

There are lots of good deals on used 30-06s.

Excellent suggestion. However, I think the thought of buying used scares the hell out of the OP... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Howas are kinda heavy as are the Rugers and FNs I prefer, but the bolt handles stay on and they go bang when I want them to, not at odd moments of their choosing.

Remington makes a pretty good rifle. Just replace the bolt and trigger and you're good to go.😜

Last edited by Pappy348; 05/21/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Agree with tc venture or the tikka comments. I guess I'm partial to them as I have clover leaf groups from both.
Anyone who ever owned a venture will tell you they are under rated tack driver. They weigh little more than the tikkas and don't feel as balanced to ME. Still awesome gun for the money. Found mine on sale for 299.
My buddy has a marlin in 243 and he swears by it.
I held ruger American when I was in the market for 223. Picked up tikka side by side an there was no comparison in feel and the quality. Another tikka went home with me.

Last edited by Dre; 05/22/16.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't know what your friend's budget it, but below are two great options in 30-06. One is wood/blue, the other stainless/synthetic. They are a little above economy line rifle prices, but are rifles that will last for many generations.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ly_Interarms_30-06_High_Qua#Post11193907

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11198917/F/S:_Ruger_MKII_M77_Stainless/#Post11198917

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Howas are kinda heavy as are the Rugers and FNs I prefer, but the bolt handles stay on and they go bang when I want them to, not at odd moments of their choosing.

Remington makes a pretty good rifle. Just replace the bolt and trigger and you're good to go.😜

You do make a good point buddy..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre
Agree with tc venture or the tikka comments. I guess I'm partial to them as I have clover leaf groups from both.
Anyone who ever owned a venture will tell you they are under rated tack driver. They weigh little more than the tikkas and don't feel as balanced to ME. Still awesome gun for the money. Found mine on sale for 299.
My buddy has a marlin in 243 and he swears by it.
I held ruger American when I was in the market for 223. Picked up tikka side by side an there was no comparison in feel and the quality. Another tikka went home with me.

Dre, they are great rifles. My buddy all but switched to them, but they have gone up so much in price that my buddy actually went back to buying the cheaper savage package rifle (XP Trophy hunter). One thing I have noticed about guys that buy these cheap rifles is they never seem to be happy with them and always seem to be searching for something better but they don't want to fork out the money for a real rifle. I have a couple friends like that. They consider older used Ruger m77 mkII's out of their price range, but they have suffered with Remington 710's, Ruger American, Mossberg 4x4, Savage Axis and the like. From what I've personally seen with my buddies' cheap rifle buying, these are the ones I'd pick:

1. Savage XP trophy hunter
2. TC Venture
3. Stevens 200
4. Marlin X series rifle (you can find NIB rifles on GB).

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ruger American or Tika T-3...

Have both & both are excellent hunting rifles. smile

Lefty C

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Free Harris bipod and sling included.
They also have it in 22" blue/Hogue at the same price.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/30-06-hm77rlfp-20-syn-ultra.html

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

DD, you know that's how I would roll. To be exact, my last rifle (sporterized m1917) I bought (a few weeks ago) cost me $300.00. It's as old as you and I put together + some. However, it is extremely accurate and has all the attributes I look for in a good rifle.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I can't see anyone ever being happy with one of the "cheap" rifles. Especially if he wants to keep it for the rest of his life. Plus, the "cheapos" don't have hardly any resale value, whereas one of those listed would resell at the same purchase price or more later down the road.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Having felt the cruel pinch of want myself (I think I got that line from Jack OConnor), I understand that sometimes you've got to go cheap. Better that than to go rifle-less. I personally would probably leave a econo-model as-is, but lots of guys with plenty of bucks like to dress them up with new stocks and such and some of them turn out pretty nice. Good, cheap, fun and not much is lost if they end up traded or sold later.

My cheap (under $400) list is short, and based on what I've seen for sale recently:

Howa Ultralight $329 from Whittakers, a good bit more elsewhere.

Marlin X7 $249 from CDNN.

Ruger American All Weather SS .270 $299.99 from Whittakers (amazing for a SS rifle).

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A used Savage 110 would certainly fit the bill, but I'd look around a bit for a good M98 sporter in 30-06. There are plenty of them out there and you can do about anything you want(within reason) with them. Hard to beat Peter Paul Mauser's baby...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maybe RevMike will spot him a .275 Rigby. Professional courtesy.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The list of rifles I would not pay for is shorter then the ones I would pay for.

I shoot mostly Savage. I have shot the new crop of low cost rifles from Ruger, Marlin, and Winchester. Tika and Weatherby vanguard's are also favorites of mine.

The short list of rifles I wouldn't pay for:
The latest crop of Remington 700 or 783. I've have experienced feed and accuracy issues with both.

Browning AB3. Its a good rifle but for the money you are not getting anything more than the Winchester XPR. Oh yeah a wood stock. In that case I would try the Mossburg Patriot.

Da HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Go hit up the pawn shops. Who knows what kind of bargain you might find.
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Go hit up the pawn shops. Who knows what kind of bargain you might find.

Agree that good buys exist there, but feel my friend should buy "new" to get the warranty... He can't afford getting a used rifle at a good price and then having to re-barrel or have to rework the feeding system.

I've only bought one rifle that had a lemon for a barrel, and it happened to be a brand new Stevens 200 in .243. It fouled terribly and lost accuracy in about 20-25 rounds from a clean barrel, it's now a .250-3000. I'd have missed out on a lot of great rifles if I had passed up used rifles I've found. I've never had a .30-06 hunting rifle that I picked up used ever have a shot out barrel or feeding problems.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
synthetic ? wood? stainless or blue ? you do not say where you are. if you are only hunting deer. a 25-06. rem or tikka

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

691 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1100mag, 160user, 02bfishn, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 15,606 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,209
Posts18,543,682
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.