Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by woofer
292k on mine. Have not even pulled a valve cover. Brakes. Bearings and ft end stuff. Roads suck here. Have a feeling the whOle show will go tits up at same time.

W

That made me laugh.. laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That truck is well worth saving. One of the best years you could get. Vortec 5.7 litre and before the autotrak crap... Now get the tranny jack under there and pull that bastid out.... Or if you are cheap, you'll just use your good floor jack with a block of wood under the tranny....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wheel chocks!!!

Originally Posted by fish head
[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, that could be an accident waiting to happen. I actually bought 2 sets of 6 ton jack stands, just for getting stuff off the ground...

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Wheel chocks!!!

[Linked Image]

No wheel chocks needed !!!

The pic makes it looks like it's on a slant but it's actually sitting about level. The front end is on jack stands underneath the frame and the parking brake is engaged.

It's not going anywhere.

BTW, It's a 5.0 vortec not a 5.7.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

I turned my floor jack into a transmission jack. I bolted two pieces of OSB to the jack and it slightly tilts just enough to level out underneath the tranny.

I pulled the transfer case and tranny by myself with no issues. It worked slick as snot.

The trans is cleaned up and ready to tear down today.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
After all the stereo work you did on that truck, the tranny oughta be a snap! I'm sure you'll have it up to Swiss Watch standards in no time... providing you don't run outa PBR again...

Fish Head's truck is one of the cleanest I've seen of ANY vintage.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender
Wheel chocks!!!

[Linked Image]

No wheel chocks needed !!!

The pic makes it looks like it's on a slant but it's actually sitting about level. The front end is on jack stands underneath the frame and the parking brake is engaged.

It's not going anywhere.

Well, OK. Just want you to not get deflated.

I chock anytime I have even one wheel off the ground. Safety first!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks FC for the compliments ... and ironbender for your concern.

UPDATE

UH OH

I have extracted the possessed organ from the host body but the demon is fighting the exorcism.

[Linked Image]

One of the bellhousing T 50 bolts stripped and the other broke the T socket. Whoever put this thing together at the factory waay waay over torqued the bolts but ...

I shall prevail. I am an anointed priest (Master Mechanic) and I have performed many successful exorcisms.

[Linked Image]

Begone demon ... begone.

The good news is the tranny looks pristine on the inside. These were the only steel particals that I found in the bottom of the pan. No sludge, no varnish, no shiny metal bits (aluminium, brass, or clutch) and the bottom of the pan looked like is was on a tranny that only had 30k miles on it.

[Linked Image]

So far ... so good.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looking good, except for those damn pesky Torx bolts....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Looking good, except for those damn pesky Torx bolts....

Did you fight those too?

I have to replace the two that gave me fits.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Little trick with those is break them loose by tightening them a tiny bit, then back them out. An old farmer taught me this trick and it's worked like a champ.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Little trick with those is break them loose by tightening them a tiny bit, then back them out. An old farmer taught me this trick and it's worked like a champ.

I know that trick but these things took at least 200 ft lbs of torque to break loose.

I've torqued 10,000 + fasteners of all types (using calibrated torque wrenches) including ferrules on aircraft propeller blades that were torqued to 1380 ft lbs. It took a 12' extension torqued at 70 ft lbs to reach 1380 ft lbs. When they got stuck it required soaking them in a bucket of stoddard solvent with dry ice that would freeze the assembly to approximately 70 degrees below zero at normal room temperatures.

Heat 'em ... freeze 'em ... I've done it all to go from an interference fit to a slip fit on all kinds of thingys.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
BTW, the splotch measurement to remove the torx bolts was approximately 3" to 4".

Ask me and I'll explain. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
damn thats one clean OOBS chevy!!! Those trucks are awesome. I had a 99 (218K) before i sold it, water pump and fuel pump are all that one ever needed. Had a 2013 that i put 53K on and it only cost me 2200$ to rent the thing for 2 years, now driving a 2015 LTZ silverado with the 6.2L max tow set up. This truck will be staying in the garage awhile. My family all worked for GM, i love their trucks, they're not the best at anything but overall as a package IMO they are the best on the road, and I've owned all of them.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I know that trick but these things took at least 200 ft lbs of torque to break loose.

I've torqued 10,000 + fasteners of all types (using calibrated torque wrenches) including ferrules on aircraft propeller blades that were torqued to 1380 ft lbs. It took a 12' extension torqued at 70 ft lbs to reach 1380 ft lbs. When they got stuck it required soaking them in a bucket of stoddard solvent with dry ice that would freeze the assembly to approximately 70 degrees below zero at normal room temperatures.

Heat 'em ... freeze 'em ... I've done it all to go from an interference fit to a slip fit on all kinds of thingys.

An impact driver (not impact wrench), may help with this as well...Sounds like you have a lot of experience at this though..

BSA MAGA
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I watched all of Gutierrez's 4L60/6L80 videos over the past few days. My plan is to install an LS in my Heep and I have not decided on the 4L60 or 6L80. I do have the 6L80 in my current Chevy and I like it, and I am leaning that direction.

It sure seems the 6L80 is an easier rebuild than the 4L60, have any of ya'll rebuilt both?

Dave

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,117
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.