Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Second visit in just under a week and a half of a decent sized black bear in the middle of the night, not afraid of my dogs and certainly not afraid of the one that was a foot away snarling and the crazy lady telling him to drag his butt out of there. Estimate his size around 300 pounds and around 5 ft tall on his hind legs. Yup he stood up to look at me better.

Ignore him or lay in wait?

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Third time's the charm.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He thinks he found an easy target, you have to convince him otherwise or kill him.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nuisance when they destroy your property more than once or harm your family or dogs. otherwise, live and let live. However, bite me or tear up my stuff more than once......

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When I lived in bear country, a bear was considered a nuisance by me if he decided to enter anything other then a burn barrel. If a bear does not loose interest when ALL the food sources are taken away , you may have a problem. If you continue to feed animals of any kind or leave trash around he will continue to visit. Just because he is not afraid of a dog or stands up to see you better does not necessarily mean he is dangerous or even destructive. He may just be curious or knows there are goodies around and is trying to locate them by smell. That being said , I never really had any one bear be much hassle. We had one get on back porch and paw at screen window ,he was bigger and I scared him off and was never a problem again.

Last edited by wyoming260; 05/26/16.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Get a license and a black bear tag. Sit on roof with a rifle.

Put it in the freezer in easy-to-handle 2 pound packages.

BTW, If it's 5' on back legs, it isn't 300#. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Set up a food window and you'll have a friend for life!

[Linked Image]

laugh

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had a small black bear steal our lunch meat when on a hunting trip in Alaska. I had a black bear tag as well. We just decided to chase him away pretty far from camp.

It was comical to watch him run away with a family pack of ham in his mouth. It wasnt funny to be out of lunch meat for the rest of the trip.

I prefer to try to discipline them. But if they get too comfortable after discipline, you have to elevate the punishment. Hopefully it doesnt involve letting the air out of them. But if it was near my house with my young boys around, I would probably be more inclined to put some bird shot on his rear end on the first go around. After that, time to get the tractor out.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Black bears are typically afraid of people. If you come out the door banging pans and he walks away, you have a bear who either lost his fear of humans, or a bear who is moving toward being a predatory bear. They typically aren't fearful of dogs on chains and unless the dogs are coming after the bear they aren't going to be concerned frequently. I'd certainly have a rifle on hand, you have a problem bear, best case scenario. You may have a bear that is sizing things up to determine how easy a dinner there is there, hard to tell if he sees the dogs as dinner or possibly you. If you come out banging the pans and he doesn't take off, shoot him. Especially if you are in fear of him coming after you, or going after your dog. The last part is the law. Hard to prove you aren't in fear if the bear is in your yard. If you have a license and a bear tag, you get to keep everything and have a choice of meals for you (or the dogs).

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B3

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender

Hey what do I know about size...nada.. I'm an Elf. smile

License and tag in my little hands..

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RAS
We had a small black bear steal our lunch meat when on a hunting trip in Alaska. I had a black bear tag as well. We just decided to chase him away pretty far from camp.

It was comical to watch him run away with a family pack of ham in his mouth. It wasnt funny to be out of lunch meat for the rest of the trip.

I prefer to try to discipline them. But if they get too comfortable after discipline, you have to elevate the punishment. Hopefully it doesnt involve letting the air out of them. But if it was near my house with my young boys around, I would probably be more inclined to put some bird shot on his rear end on the first go around. After that, time to get the tractor out.

Yeah he doesn't run away when I make noise..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Elf
Second visit in just under a week and a half of a decent sized black bear in the middle of the night, not afraid of my dogs and certainly not afraid of the one that was a foot away snarling and the crazy lady telling him to drag his butt out of there. Estimate his size around 300 pounds and around 5 ft tall on his hind legs. Yup he stood up to look at me better.

Ignore him or lay in wait?

When they start listening to Justin Bieber...time to put him down.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would say the bear already is a nuisance. What are the game regulations in your State regarding bears?

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If it comes back again it's probably associated people with food rewards. We had a crazy old lady feeding a few black bears a couple miles away, one decided it wanted more and broke into her house and killed her. Once they loose their fear of people, they need to be dead.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe time to let the dog off the leash. Dogs are WAY quicker than bears, it's really rare that a bear actually gets a lick in on a medium to large size dog.

My grandfather and I hunted bear with dogs for just over a decade and he had been doing it for 40 years before that. In all that time, he had one dog get injured from a bear (and the dog did get pretty tore up). It was a very unlucky thing, one dog was squaring off and the other dog Blue actually stepped right into a claw strike. But I had seen Blue take on blackies several times before. Once it ran right up between a bears legs, inverted and latched onto the bears neck...that was quite spectacular (what an awesome dog Blue was).

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Elf

Hey what do I know about size...nada.. I'm an Elf. smile

License and tag in my little hands..

Then get after it and post pics!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Before I killed it, I'd be calling game wardens to see if there's a chance of relocation. Just don't like seeing animals killed unless it's really necessary. I'm a big lover of bears...but people always come first.

Look at the bright side. When I moved into my freshly built house in Arkansas, I had been there for just under 2 months when a Sheriff's deputy swings by to warn me there's a 600lb tiger on the loose...WTF???

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Much better option there than my bird shot claim. It will hurt him but probably not injure him. Probably be hauling a$$ after a few of those rounds.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Bad idea. Relocated bears either return in short order or are killed causing a problem somewhere else.

Kill it and eat it.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since you have a tag I would suggest you fill it out. Lots of things to eat this time of year, like fawns, so that bear should be somewhere else. It may be sick or just goofy. We only have bear season in November here in PA.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remember, it isn't cute little Winnie the Pooh. smile

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Natural Resources tells us we should try to live in harmony with the bears. I let them try to harmonize with a 405 grain bullet out of my 45-70 after they damage my property. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bad idea. Relocated bears either return in short order or are killed causing a problem somewhere else.

Kill it and eat it.
That's not true. Sure it does happen, but that's not the norm, it's the exception. At least that's not true for the places I've lived. I've never lived anywhere that had more bear relocations than Lake Tahoe, and the vast majority go on to have normal lives elsewhere. It comes down to where the bears are relocated. If you move them 5 miles down the road to another thickly populated place, well then yeah; it's going to remain a problem bear. But the bears in Tahoe are taken at least 100 miles away and rarely are they ever a problem again.

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm with Ironbender on the kill it, eat it thought. Relocation rarely works and it's costly.
Plus I'm off the road system not an easy place to have a relocation happen.

Last edited by Elf; 05/26/16.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
No bear expert, but I'd be concerned about a bear that's bold enough to come up into a yard full of sled dogs even once.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Elf
When do you consider a bear a nuisance bear?

If it is in my backyard it is definitely a nuisance bear...but then I do live in Australia.

Hello Elf. smile

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gotta go with IB here. S(eat)S&S.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it makes a second visit and screws with any of my stuff. That is also the time to initiate some persuasive action.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/26/16.

1Minute
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No experience, just an observation, they lose fear of me, my family, farm or livestock, they die!

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It's a nuisance when it eats all your porridge. I really like bears too, but another appearance that makes me think something could go wrong (my fault, his fault, nobody's fault...Richard Boone in "Big Jake") and he's dinner and a memory.
If you decide to do it, don't hesitate, just do it.
Best of luck, Annie.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Kill it and eat it.
That's not true. Sure it does happen, but that's not the norm, it's the exception. At least that's not true for the places I've lived. I've never lived anywhere that had more bear relocations than Lake Tahoe, and the vast majority go on to have normal lives elsewhere. It comes down to where the bears are relocated. If you move them 5 miles down the road to another thickly populated place, well then yeah; it's going to remain a problem bear. But the bears in Tahoe are taken at least 100 miles away and rarely are they ever a problem again.

Wow! Just wow!

Let's spend thousands to move a bear from an area so over-populated the state has declared it a predator control area... and put it where? The next predator control area up the road? 100 miles is nothing to a roaming bear...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute
If it makes a second visit and screws with any of my stuff.

If he comes back it'll be his 3rd visit.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sounds like it's time to fill your tag. Third visit IS the charm. Good luck. Sharpen your knife.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
BFD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Why was he there? Is there a lot of loose dog food around?

If he is coming back for something in particular remove the something.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Hi Elf! Toss a couple of shots into the air to see if he takes off! If not, bag him and tag him!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
B!tch slap him.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BFD
Why was he there? Is there a lot of loose dog food around?

If he is coming back for something in particular remove the something.

No extra dog kibble left out and if one dog doesn't eat all of his it's given to one who will finish it up. Dogs don't get raw bones this time of year either, I don't feed birds and no fish spawning yet.

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
Hi Elf! Toss a couple of shots into the air to see if he takes off! If not, bag him and tag him!

Shots were fired last night, he took off and I really hope he stays gone but not confident he will remember to stay away. Also had one of my dogs almost nose to nose with him, I heard the bear whisper to the dog...You're a wuss...

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Agree with IB,kill it and eat it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Sequioa who thinks he's a bear dog.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Take a 12 gauge shell and uncrimp the end
dump out #6 shot and fill with Rock salt
Re-crimp and add a touch of hot glue.
Spank the offender at close range and repeat as he departs.
Of course from a safe OP
Guarreenteed "trouble" bear repellant

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You are putting yourself and your dogs at risk if he comes back and you dust him with rock salt. What if he doesn't like that little dose of medicine and attacks YOU? That shotgun loaded with salt isn't going to do you OR your dogs any good if things go south during the "education" process.

Take your rifle and your bear tag and dump him. A bullet to the ear is magic and in this case, you definitely need a DRT. BTDT.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Kill it and eat it.

Wow! Just wow!

Let's spend thousands to move a bear from an area so over-populated the state has declared it a predator control area... and put it where? The next predator control area up the road? 100 miles is nothing to a roaming bear...

I'm shocked, a clueless post by Kevin? Tell me it isn't so?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bear going through your property isn't an issue, but one hanging around would concern me. If you're in an area where you can legally take one with a tag, then it's a no brainer. Get a tag and punch it. It's funny how often bears are troublesome when you can't take one, and are nowhere to be seen when you can.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Black bears get et on first contact. Brown bears get whacked if they come back after taking a load of Nitro Steel to the a$$.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
You are putting yourself and your dogs at risk if he comes back and you dust him with rock salt. What if he doesn't like that little dose of medicine and attacks YOU? That shotgun loaded with salt isn't going to do you OR your dogs any good if things go south during the "education" process.

Take your rifle and your bear tag and dump him. A bullet to the ear is magic and in this case, you definitely need a DRT. BTDT.

Yup no way am I pissing a bear off that may in turn take out his pissed offness on my dogs.
It's shoot to kill, no hesitation because he's all cute and furry. Have the tag and live where I can harvest him, my dogs are very important to me.

He doesn't seem to want to just wander through, he wants to hang around. I've got moose, fox, beavers and in the past other bears that just wave as they pass and continue on, I'm good with that.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Elf

Yup no way am I pissing a bear off that may in turn take out his pissed offness on my dogs.
It's shoot to kill, no hesitation because he's all cute and furry. Have the tag and live where I can harvest him, my dogs are very important to me.

He doesn't seem to want to just wander through, he wants to hang around. I've got moose, fox, beavers and in the past other bears that just wave as they pass and continue on, I'm good with that.

Jesus Elf, where do you live...heaven?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Way too much over thinking for this minor problem. Kill it and be done with the matter.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Annie,....what IronBender said.

Bon Apetit'

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Elf

Jesus Elf, whee do you live...heaven?

Pretty much..

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Will they even relocate black bears in AK?

Odd if they do.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Annie,....what IronBender said.

Bon Apetit'

GTC

grin

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

Odd if they do.

They've been known to when people cry about the cute fuzzy garbage eating bears and how they must save their little furry faces. whistle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Time to grab the first rifle you see and plunk one in his head.. uncle had to do that in wisconsin a few years ago, bear kept coming around destroying bird feeders, then on night it started on the chicken coop. he caught a round from a 444marlin to the ear. which opened him up like a ripe watermelon. Was a juvenile male.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The first visit is his last.....loaded 9.3 behind the door.....The little neighbor kids wait in front of my house for the school bus.....I just can't have a visiting bear nor loose sled dogs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

When I don't have help packing him out.

LOL
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Some people have figured out that if they quit putting out birdseed in the spring then the bears will quit tearing down the feeders.
Some people leave cat food and dog food all over and then wonder why bears come around to eat it.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Kill it and eat it.

Please post again when you have a clue.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Odd if they do.

A year ago there was a sow with 2 or 3* cubs in Anchorage. After many chances, F&G was going to 'euthanize" them until our stupid governor got involved.

They were moved to a secure location that turned out to be the KP. That was figured out when they were shot about a week and a half later for engaging in the same behavior.

*5 bears.
http://www.adn.com/wildlife/article...ation-humans-hope-campground/2015/06/23/

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Here ya go, Kev:

But Fish and Game Regional Supervisor Larry Van Daele noted other efforts to relocate bears in the past have failed and it's unlikely moving bears will become a common occurrence for the department.

Costs of relocating Government Hill black bears approach $10,000

Total cost was probably close to twice that.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Elf
You need to setup an electric buzz trap for that bear.
Apply 120 v to a trash can and he won't come back.

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by budman5
Elf

I don't have electricity.... wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here ya go, Kev:

But Fish and Game Regional Supervisor Larry Van Daele noted other efforts to relocate bears in the past have failed and it's unlikely moving bears will become a common occurrence for the department.

Impossible!!! Kevin says it works!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Odd if they do.

Only when the CA vote is accepted...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sounds like just a normal day at my house.we learned to live with bears 20 years ago.they've torn up my trash hundreds of times. my burn barrel has over time gone from a single barrel to 3 barrels chained together setting on a concrete slab with a 3in post in the center to keep them from being rolled away. i also drilled the concrete and dropped foot long rebar in the holes so they can't pick them up.bears are smarter than you think. most here are not afraid of humans .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sort'a have a live and let live mindset about this. They live somewhere else, they live. Try to move in with me, they die. Have a bit of experience with the Florida version...they aren't cuddly Disney characters. Never saw any good come out of having black bears hanging around residential neighborhoods.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
How to know you're a nuisance bear

If you ever have pee'd on a tourists picnic basket you might be a nuisance bear.

If the garbage man calls you by name you might be a nuisance bear

If you take time from your law practice to keep trolling the campfire with anti Trump threads you might be a nuisance bear.

If you frequent the classifieds ask dozens of questions about an item make an offer but then delay paying with numerous money problems and family medical issues you might be a nuisance bear

If you can't write a intelligent political thread on the campfire without using 15 cuss words and / or the N word or can't refer to a political figure without using a derogatory nickname and generally coming across as a smart mouth junior high brat, you might be a nuisance bear

Regards
Jeff Foxworthy

Last edited by bangeye; 05/26/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2

When I don't have help packing him out.

LOL

Originally Posted by Elf
Originally Posted by budman5
Elf

HA!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Elf

Run wires to your crank telephone.

grin

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Shoot the sumbeech, skin, send me the hide (or you keep it) and all the fat. Makes good round ball patch lube!! I'll buy whatever!!

grin laugh

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have the tag and live where I can harvest him, my dogs are very important to me.

Seems to be the answer right there. Also lots of us here don't want a bear to hurt you either. Ya need to post more. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting read all the way through. Most of us don't like to put down a nuisance bear, which is a revealing underlayer among hunters. If the bear comes back, you got it to do.

I've killed one nuisance bear and my son killed one in his back yard. I remember being a little angry at the bear for “making” me kill it. My bear kept hanging around the neighbor kids bus stop and following them home, so all the dads for a mile or two around were keeping an eye out for it. I happened to run across it minding its own business a few hundred yards from the bus stop and like other folks in the area, had a rifle in my rig for such an encounter. Skinny youngish boar with a ratty cinnamon hide.

Son's nuisance hung around the swing set for his kids in the back yard and after 8 hours and running it off twice he applied a .338 to its head to keep it from running off and dying in a neighbor's yard. It was a sleek, fat, healthy good sized boar. Both legal, with tags in open season, tags we had rather not used that way.

Killing it and killing it soon, before it does real damage becomes the responsible, grown-up thing to do as you know, Elf, and handle well.

Last edited by Okanagan; 05/27/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, and another thing.

Salt is for the dinner table and lead is for the reloading bench.

Serve lead first.
Then salt.
Never confuse the two.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Only salt for a disinfectant should you catch lead first out in BFE. laugh

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I guess preserving a genetic fluke like an albino or 'blue' bear could warrant relocation.

Otherwise, how could relocating a black bear in AK be other than a PR stunt? Maybe if I lived in the bush like Elf I could live with it as a novelty. Maybe not. Dogs complicate things.

Then again, remember the "Bear Eats Kayak" video ...

Think I talked myself into a bearskin here. Easiest hunt ever.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh the Bear eating the kayak video....Bawhaaaaaaa.. I remember that one.

Dogs make it a bit more interesting and though I don't keep their food outside I do store it inside and can't even imagine the mess Mr Bear would make if he decided to come in. shocked

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Originally Posted by Elf

Run wires to your crank telephone.

grin

HA.....
I'll get right on that.

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by milespatton
Have the tag and live where I can harvest him, my dogs are very important to me.

Seems to be the answer right there. Also lots of us here don't want a bear to hurt you either. Ya need to post more. miles

Hi Miles,
Don't post often but I lurk in the background reading a lot. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just ribbin' ya, girl.
smile
Those old magnetos are too much fun!

Wire in an old buss fuse cut off and direct wire where the fuses are supposed to be.

Spool it up good and fast, then throw the lever.

There's so many uses for old junk like that one couldn't even begin to count.
Lots of entertainment to be had!

wink

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, it is bear season, so I've got my double barrel shotgun out. What I do is cut a couple of shells at the crimp and dump the shot out. I put one shell in each chamber, then dump in an ounce and a half of dried beans into each barrel and tamp some newspaper on top of them. I aim for the aft end of the bear to avoid hitting an eye and let him/her have it. That seems to run them off right well -- I've never had one come back for a second dose.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Here ya go, Kev:

Kevin says lots of things.

That was really to illustrate the fact according to experts. It's not something ol' ironbender dreamed up.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here ya go, Kev:

That was really to illustrate the fact according to experts. It's not something ol' ironbender dreamed up.

You? Dream up sumpin? Never! whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoot that sob before he harms one of your pups them make pepperoni sticks out of him.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Elf
Here ya go, Kev:

Sure i do. Lotsa things. But, not that.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Shoot that sob before he harms one of your pups them make pepperoni sticks out of him.

Packed in easy-to-handle two pound packages! smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Elf
Here ya go, Kev:

Sure i do. Lotsa things. But, not that.

True indeed Sir!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any bear that doesn't jello away from you at warp speed is a potential problem.
I would get some Counter Assault immediately, some bean-bag shotgun rounds if you see any more bear after spraying them with the whiz. After the beanbag, get a kill permit.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Any bear that doesn't jello away from you at warp speed is a potential problem.
I would get some Counter Assault immediately, some bean-bag shotgun rounds if you see any more bear after spraying them with the whiz. After the beanbag, get a kill permit.

License and harvest tag are ready and waiting.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Use them.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Save the gall bladder, I know a greek who'll makes seasoning out it. grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When it ain't afraid of me or the dogs. Time for a bear kill IMHO.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thread should of been history by now, must be bruin is lying low?

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
He's debating as to wether he wants to die or not, he's in the neighborhood the dogs have let me know. He just hadn't showed his furry face in the off limits zone yet.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Stay ready, Annie - he'll be back.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Just don't use a .270 Winchester,the bullet(s) will bounce off.

Read that right chere on the Campfire,so it must be true.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Just don't use a .270 Winchester,the bullet(s) will bounce off.

Read that right chere on the Campfire,so it must be true.

grin

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Sounds to me like you don't have a nuisance bear per se. Sounds to me like you have the rural AK version of food delivery a la Dominoes etc...

1) Get Art's Chile Bear-de recipe
2) Make dinner...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Elf:
Good evening to you, here's hoping that there's been no unwanted gunfire in your life thus far tonight.

It's been interesting/educational to read the responses from folks in different areas if nothing else Elf, so thanks for stimulating that.

Here in very rural BC they've pretty much given up on relocating bears because the ones who become nuisance bears here will just be a nuisance bear in the next location they're moved to.

The reasons for that are myriad, but mostly it's because we've got a very high population density of black bears.

There was a fairly infamous issue a few years back as well when a relocated, collared BC nuisance bear ended up killing someone - in Alberta as I recall. Anyway it didn't reflect well on us so most nuisance bears that the CO's deal with are "relocated" into the regional landfill nowadays.

Oh lastly if you're not opposed to it, a local houndsman I know takes a bear a year just for dog food - they love the bones he says. grin

Good luck with your bear and all the best to you all this summer Elf.

Dwayne

PS;
Actual phone conversation with the CO last time a bear was trying to break into our house.

CO- "What's your exact address"

Me- "Actual address"

CO- "Do you hunt, do you have a gun?"

Me - "Yes to both"

CO- "Shoot it and call me after you do"....

Last edited by BC30cal; 05/27/16.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dwayne,

I chuckled at your phone conversation, I think my phone conversation would be similar though they might remind me to be careful and not hit one of the dogs by accident.

I'm also in the camp of relocating would be costly and probably then create an issue for someone else. I live in an area that can't be accessed by car or truck, only ATV, foot, bicycle or dog sled and snowmachine in the winter. I couldn't imagine the circus it would be to get the 'stuff' needed for a relocation out here and then remove the bear. The bruin will meet his maker if he returns, I'm ok with that. When one lives as I do you have to be ok with some decisions you might need to make that some of the rest of the world would never understand. I may have to think about harvesting a bear for the dogs to have some extra good stuff to eat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I may have to think about harvesting a bear for the dogs to have some extra good stuff to eat.

Were I you, the only thing that would make me hesitate would be the extra work involved in taking care of it, once it was dead. If you are like a lot of us, you have about all that you can take care of, without extra stuff piling on. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
True indeed it would be extra work, Miles.
But a little extra work to help feed myself and the dogs isn't bad in my book.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tag, I like this thread.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
be sure you cook the meat well before feeding it to the dogs.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Is it in the freezer yet?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Not yet...But because I got a tag he probably won't come back as that's the way things usually go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lady, protect yourself.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Elf

Not yet...But because I got a tag he probably won't come back as that's the way things usually go.
Yup.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The next time you see him, he'll probably have a girlfriend with him.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Or wearing a dress and high heels,you know a transgendered bear.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by watch4bear
The next time you see him, he'll probably have a girlfriend with him.

That's cool and they can just stroll on through and wave as they pass by.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just call safariman, he will ass shoot it, then get a buddy to finish it off, then they will winch it out. whistle

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Partsman
Just call safariman, he will ass shoot it, then get a buddy to finish it off, then they will winch it out. whistle

Too true and TFF!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Shoot it an eat it.
Then send the Government a bill for $10,000
Tell them you just saved them twice that amount.
Now they don't have to relocate it.

grin

Dave
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This one has been hanging around my sister's house lately here in Ct.
This was yesterday at 10 in the morning after it got a drink in the pond.
I've been seeing a lot more in this state in recent years.
No fear of people, thats for sure.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
That's a dandy bear.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i had a friend headshoot a bear years ago with a 22.250. mr bear was turned into barbeque and was quite tasty.
I have been debating popping a bear since last falls deer season where i found out the residence of a black bear. haven't done it yet tho, trying to talk the daughter into it.
probably would do it if i agreed to pick up the cost of the bearskin rug.
I still think of you an that episode with the dog and the ice.
A number of my goldens have come and gone since those days, but i have loved/love every one of them.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/29/16.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Three S's.

Shoot
Skin
Stew

Best of luck to you, Annie.

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would say it all depends on the situation, your options and your comfort level around bears

[Linked Image]

They are intelligent but can usually be dissuaded by doing things like wrapping a piece of bacon around a can of bear spray.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
T

Kill it and eat it.

I grew up where those bears were often relocated. Not heavily populated, but some people live there. My Grandpa shot one on his front porch, as he was in the house and the bear was on the porch. One of his good friends had a majority of his apple orchard destroyed by bears climbing in the trees to eat the apples. So yea, relocating doesn't cause an issue when they are relocated away from you!

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
I would say it all depends on the situation, your options and your comfort level around bears

[Linked Image]

They are intelligent but can usually be dissuaded by doing things like wrapping a piece of bacon around a can of bear spray.

grin grin

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

I still think of you an that episode with the dog and the ice.
A number of my goldens have come and gone since those days, but i have loved/love every one of them.

Sure is a day I'll never forget and I quietly thank all of you kind people everyday, for all that you did for me. Still have a stitch left in one of my pinkies.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When the bear is at my front porch or on the deck with my grand daughter.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Smells of dog food anyway. Hard to eliminate that if you have a team as Elf does. A bear is a NOSE!

Elf- if you don't want to kill/eat as a first option, nail it at close range with bear spray.

If that doesn't work - go to Mike's option. Bear ain't bad...

Not on my 5- option - but decent.... I take one every 4-5 years, and I'm out....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
Smells of dog food anyway. Hard to eliminate that if you have a team as Elf does. A bear is a NOSE!

Elf- if you don't want to kill/eat as a first option, nail it at close range with bear spray.

Not on my 5- option - but decent.... I take one every 4-5 years, and I'm out....

So true about the dog food, I've got a couple that flip their dishes all the time but then eat it, I'm sure the smell is still there.

Shoot it is my decision me thinks, there's a few people who have offered to take the meat if my hands if I don't want it..I've had bear before not up there at the top of my list but hey I should at least give it a try once in a while..right? wink

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Happy Birthday Elf. Hope you have a great summer.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I've had fall black bear that was darn tasty. Don't remember eating a spring one. Give it a shot, so to speak. Cook it like pork.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I hope you have a great one, Elf!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Happy Birthday Elf.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When he's chewing on your leg....

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Happy Birthday Elf!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the Birthday wishes!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for the info on sled dog rides.
Now I understand why you have a bear problem,
you must go through tons of dog food.
I don't have a dog but in the Spring I normally have a small bear walk through the yard. Our hunting season is fall only. I think the neighbors must kill everything they see.
They seem to love sunflower seeds.
Happy Birthday!

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Happy Birthday Elf!

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Kill it and eat it.
This.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Elf
Originally Posted by las

So true about the dog food, I've got a couple that flip their dishes all the time but then eat it, I'm sure the smell is still there.

Shoot it is my decision me thinks, there's a few people who have offered to take the meat if my hands if I don't want it..I've had bear before not up there at the top of my list but hey I should at least give it a try once in a while..right? wink
Cook it so the fat drips away, on a rack or grill. It's much better that way.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If he's chewing on any part of you, he might be a nuisance...

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Happy Birthday!!!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Happy B-day Elf!!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,652
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.