Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Thats a sweetheart you wish could talk.
Supposedly it came from Ossawatomie, Kansas, about fifty miles from us. I got it when it was 102 years old for $240. It's all matching with original grips. I've never had it lettered.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never had it lettered.

I like a letter. I ordered one for one of mine about 3 months ago. I expect it to arrive in another more or so. Anyways thats the rumor. I think a letter helps up the value.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got letters on several. They're always good, even if you know the story without them. I've even got a letter on a S&W.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jds44
Ruger. Nothing else is even close in my opinion. Go with a New Vaquero if you want a Colt SAA type gun or a Blackhawk of some flavor if you prefer adjustable sights.

^^^This! X 1000^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
That is just begging to be sent to Doug Turnbull and his crew for a true restoration.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
If Colt is required though, simply nothing else will do.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hikerbum
That is just begging to be sent to Doug Turnbull and his crew for a true restoration.

[Linked Image]
It would destroy its value and character. Some things need to be left the way they are. If I want to shoot one like it, I'll shoot the Cimarron.

If a person wants to restore one, there are plenty of mismatched guns with cut barrels and the like. Restoration of those can only help their value.

If I wanted a challenge...here is a cut gun. It's an original Smith and Wesson Model #3 single action in 44 Rimfire. That would be a good restoration.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beretta makes almost an exact copy of the original Colt, except for a modern style hammer block.
My son has one and really likes it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tracks
Beretta makes almost an exact copy of the original Colt, except for a modern style hammer block.
Beretta and Uberti are the same company.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tracks

OK, but my kids pistol say Beretta.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And it has transfer bar ignition, no?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bryant
What is a good value, lots of bang for the buck in a single action center fire revolver, colt ssa type clone? new or used ok. I will use it just for plinking mostly might even just load up cast bullets and trail boss for shooting steel and such.

I'd buy one of these.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/specSheets/5240.html

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe within the last couple days there was a .357 Blackhawk in the classifieds for around $325.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
None of the aforementioned recommendations are Colt SAA clones. The Ruger New Vaquero is close in appearance but is not a clone. The Blackhawk looks similar to a Colt New Frontier, which is essentially a SAA with adjustable sights.

Since the Blackhawk came first, it's really the New Frontier that looks like a Blackhawk.

The best bang-for-your-buck SAA clone will be an Uberti. The best finished Uberti will be those imported by Cimarron, with those imported by Uberti themselves, a close second.

That's Cimarron's marketing. Cimarron has their own QC staff at the Uberti factory, that is all. Their guns are no different from those from any other importer and come off the same production line. Cimarron, Taylor's, Dixie Gun Works, EMF, Stoeger, all the same.

No, they are two completely different companies. Beretta just happens to own Uberti now.

Uberti made the Beretta single actions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a Colt clone in 44 Special and was surprised by the great balance, looks and handling. Paid $400. Love that revolver.

But you can't go wrong buying a Ruger. If you have a gun range available to you that allows you to shoot at their indoor range, do it with several of their revolvers. Then make your decision. Or shoot your buddy's revolvers.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CraigC
None of the aforementioned recommendations are Colt SAA clones. The Ruger New Vaquero is close in appearance but is not a clone. The Blackhawk looks similar to a Colt New Frontier, which is essentially a SAA with adjustable sights.

Since the Blackhawk came first, it's really the New Frontier that looks like a Blackhawk.

The best bang-for-your-buck SAA clone will be an Uberti. The best finished Uberti will be those imported by Cimarron, with those imported by Uberti themselves, a close second.

That's Cimarron's marketing. Cimarron has their own QC staff at the Uberti factory, that is all. Their guns are no different from those from any other importer and come off the same production line. Cimarron, Taylor's, Dixie Gun Works, EMF, Stoeger, all the same.

That's your opinion and nothing more. It doesn't true up with that of most Cowboy shooters who will tell you that in their opinion, Cimarron makes the best.

No, they are two completely different companies. Beretta just happens to own Uberti now.

Uberti made the Beretta single actions.
The point I was making was that indeed, Uberti makes Beretta cowboy guns. I'm not an expert on the business configuration of the two companies, if there are two.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm not an expert either. I just know that after Aldo Uberti died, his family no longer wanted the administrative responsibility of running the company, so they sold it to Uberti. They still run day to day operations and little if anything changed at the Uberti factory.

Big difference between one company owning another, while maintaining two separate entities and two companies being one and the same.

Uberti "made" the single actions for Beretta. The guns have been out of production for a few years now.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here is a picture of a Colt SAA and a Uberti, same caliber and barrel length.
Both shoot the same, feel the same and look pretty darn near alike.
But the Uberti is about $1000 cheaper.
Ruger is not a clone, a nice gun, but not anywear near a Colt.
If you are looking for a fun shooter, that looks and feels like a Colt SAA, then check out Uberti.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jbmi; 06/01/16.

"The older I get, the better I was"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

[Linked Image]

Ethan, tell me you don't shoot that one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not anymore.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

292 members (222ND, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 25 invisible), 1,813 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.