Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a buddy who is trying to move a P17 (I suspect a P14) sporter from Centurion in 7mm Rem Mag. The rifle is sitting in a B&C Carbelite stock and the rifle is still cock on close and has the military trigger. He asked what I though it was worth and I told him $400-450. Am I in the ball park?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A picture is required.

Most would not even pick something with that description out of the rack.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Savage_99
A picture is required.

Must be worth something then if Dumb Don doesn't want it!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
$300 might be more like it. The actions are a dime a dozen, the stock isn't worth a whole lot, and overall, not much demand for it, as said above.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I have a buddy who is trying to move a P17 (I suspect a P14) sporter from Centurion in 7mm Rem Mag. The rifle is sitting in a B&C Carbelite stock and the rifle is still cock on close and has the military trigger. He asked what I though it was worth and I told him $400-450. Am I in the ball park?

Around here, about $350.00.... You are probably right about it being a p14 as well. It was much easier to convert those to a magnum because the bolt face was already opened up. However, I've seen quite a few m1917's converted to magnums.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
Originally Posted by Savage_99
A picture is required.

Must be worth something then if Dumb Don doesn't want it!

I'm sure even he could shoot a good 2 shot group with one though... laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The bad thing about the m1917 is they are not as desirable or sought after as some of the other older rifles (pre 64 model 70's for example). I'm looking at one a friend has right now that is a custom job and beautiful rifle. He's been trying to sell it for $500.00 for the last 6 months, with no luck at all. I'll eventually be able to buy if from him for about $400.00 and the shame of it is, the barrel cost more than that with installation. Not counting all the custom smith work that went into the rifle to get it to look like a nice sporter: This includes the bolt handle bent and re-shaped, custom stock, target barrel install, rear sight ears milled off and rear bridge professionally plugged and contoured, scope mounts drilled and tapped, timney trigger, etc. etc... You name it, its been done, but the cold hard truth is the rifle is only worth about $450.00 because it's not "desirable" to most people.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Got more info. It is a P14 action, about 90% on the metal finish. Buddy has had it several years now, said it shoots okay and he has killed several Missouri deer with it.

He sent me some cellphone pictures, but you can't tell much by them. Way too many close-ups and not one picture of the complete rifle, plus they were taken in his basement. Stock is not beded as I had suspected, and still the original black finish.

Anyway, I guess I was out of the ballpark on this one. $350 might be unattainable from what they are selling on gunbroker for. I figured any usable action would be worth $250, and was a little over optimistic on the stock being worth $125-150.

I still think it would make a nice big bore rifle. I envisioned a rebore to .358 Norma and a Timney trigger. However, I don't know where I'd use it. I hardly find a reason to carry my 1917 in .300 H&H because it's heavy.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 35 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.