Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Below is my Memorial Day piece. I tried to retire it last year but was convinced to continue posting it here in honor of those who have fallen in service to our country. Humbly, here it is:

One Fewer

I first saw him hobbling down the aisle of a small gun show. He was obviously of advanced age: white-haired, frail and walking with a pronounced limp, his bony left hand grasping one of those spiral thornwood canes that look like a kudu’s horn. It was that cane that caught my attention – without it, the man would have been invisible.

His pained but determined pace picked up when he neared a table only two away from mine. The table’s owner displayed military battle rifles. The old gent stopped there, but I became distracted by customers of my own and did not notice him again.

The promoter held two shows a year in that small town, and I became a regular vendor. After that first time, I started noticing the old gentleman at every show. He always carried that magnificently polished, deep brown cane. He always went steadfastly to that same dealer’s table. He always came on Sunday morning when the crowds were thin.

Clearly not well off financially, the old man’s clothes never varied. His shoes were of brown leather, the toes curled up from age, deep cracks at the toe bend and the heels worn to a smooth curve; but they were always carefully brushed to a soft luster. His slacks were khaki cotton, a semblance of a crease still showing down the front of each leg, with an irregular outline on one thigh that bespoke of a liquid stain long ago acquired. His sports jacket was dark brown wool, its herringbone pattern all but obliterated by age. Its pockets sagged as if he’d once limped home –in a driving rain- with oranges in them. The dulled and faded miniature of a military ribbon adorned the jacket’s left lapel. Under the jacket he always wore a white shirt so thin his sleeveless undershirt showed through. On his Western-style bolo tie, a walnut-sized, blood-red stone mirrored the man’s jutting Adam’s apple. Raising the stooped figure to perhaps five-feet six, a grey fedora hat rode. Now battered, sweat-stained and misshapen, the hat characterized him as much as the liver spots on his pallid, papery skin.

I was able to catalog such small details because of his laborious gait. He’d plant the tightly clutched cane, then half-shuffle, half-slide his crippled left leg forward, and finally his still-spry right: tap, drag, step; tap, drag, step. Just watching him brought a dull empathetic ache to my hips and knees.

Neither his appearance nor his habits ever varied: he’d hobble past my table, spend a few minutes in front of the rifle collector’s display, then leave, unnoticed.

And then, one time, he failed to appear.

Just before the show ended that Sunday afternoon, I ambled over to the rifle table. On one end were a few P-17 Enfields and Springfields, a couple SMLE’s, one or two ’98 Mausers and an Arisaka. At the other end were several .30 M-1 carbines, a Garand and even a rare Johnson rifle. It was interesting stuff, but I really wanted to ask about the old man.

“I heard he passed away last month,” the dealer said. “I’ll miss him.” He shook his head ruefully and looked down.

“You know anything about him? Your table was the only one he ever visited, as far as I saw.”

“Not much. But it wasn’t my table that he visited. It was this,” he said, pointing to the Garand.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, it’s like this…the first few times he came by, I tried to wait on him. But he never spoke a word – like I wasn’t even there. He’d walk up, stand there a bit, and then he’d lightly touch the Garand. With just his fingertips, as though it was his lover or something, you know? Then one time I said, ‘You seem like you know that rifle. Carry one in the Army?’ He shook his head a little and kept right on caressing that rifle’s stock, but he said ‘Marines.’

“So then I looked at him a little closer. You know that little blue pin in his lapel? That’s the Navy Cross, and it’s the highest they give except for the Medal of Honor. And so I had to ask him where he got it, and he finally looked up at me. His eyes were brimming, as if some nightmare just came back to him, and he choked out one word: ‘Tarawa.’

“After that, I’d sell any rifle on the table, except that Garand. It would have killed him if I had. I never will sell it, now.” He stood silently for a second, then concluded, “Those two spoken words and that ribbon are all I know about that old man, but they’re all I need to know.”

As if drawn to it, I stroked the stock of the Garand and whispered, “Thank you.” I’m not sure if I said it to the dealer, or that rifle, or the hovering spirit of that departed hero. Maybe all three. But I meant it.

A note: I read recently that as many as 2,000 veterans of World War II pass away every single day. That’s more than were lost on many days of the war. If you know or even meet a veteran from that conflict, thank them from the bottom of your heart…while you still can.

Printed in “The Big Show Journal” May/June 2005 © Rocky Raab, 2005

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Below is my Memorial Day piece. I tried to retire it last year but was convinced to continue posting it here in honor of those who have fallen in service to our country. Humbly, here it is:

One Fewer

I first saw him hobbling down the aisle of a small gun show. He was obviously of advanced age: white-haired, frail and walking with a pronounced limp, his bony left hand grasping one of those spiral thornwood canes that look like a kudu’s horn. It was that cane that caught my attention – without it, the man would have been invisible.

His pained but determined pace picked up when he neared a table only two away from mine. The table’s owner displayed military battle rifles. The old gent stopped there, but I became distracted by customers of my own and did not notice him again.

The promoter held two shows a year in that small town, and I became a regular vendor. After that first time, I started noticing the old gentleman at every show. He always carried that magnificently polished, deep brown cane. He always went steadfastly to that same dealer’s table. He always came on Sunday morning when the crowds were thin.

Clearly not well off financially, the old man’s clothes never varied. His shoes were of brown leather, the toes curled up from age, deep cracks at the toe bend and the heels worn to a smooth curve; but they were always carefully brushed to a soft luster. His slacks were khaki cotton, a semblance of a crease still showing down the front of each leg, with an irregular outline on one thigh that bespoke of a liquid stain long ago acquired. His sports jacket was dark brown wool, its herringbone pattern all but obliterated by age. Its pockets sagged as if he’d once limped home –in a driving rain- with oranges in them. The dulled and faded miniature of a military ribbon adorned the jacket’s left lapel. Under the jacket he always wore a white shirt so thin his sleeveless undershirt showed through. On his Western-style bolo tie, a walnut-sized, blood-red stone mirrored the man’s jutting Adam’s apple. Raising the stooped figure to perhaps five-feet six, a grey fedora hat rode. Now battered, sweat-stained and misshapen, the hat characterized him as much as the liver spots on his pallid, papery skin.

I was able to catalog such small details because of his laborious gait. He’d plant the tightly clutched cane, then half-shuffle, half-slide his crippled left leg forward, and finally his still-spry right: tap, drag, step; tap, drag, step. Just watching him brought a dull empathetic ache to my hips and knees.

Neither his appearance nor his habits ever varied: he’d hobble past my table, spend a few minutes in front of the rifle collector’s display, then leave, unnoticed.

And then, one time, he failed to appear.

Just before the show ended that Sunday afternoon, I ambled over to the rifle table. On one end were a few P-17 Enfields and Springfields, a couple SMLE’s, one or two ’98 Mausers and an Arisaka. At the other end were several .30 M-1 carbines, a Garand and even a rare Johnson rifle. It was interesting stuff, but I really wanted to ask about the old man.

“I heard he passed away last month,” the dealer said. “I’ll miss him.” He shook his head ruefully and looked down.

“You know anything about him? Your table was the only one he ever visited, as far as I saw.”

“Not much. But it wasn’t my table that he visited. It was this,” he said, pointing to the Garand.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, it’s like this…the first few times he came by, I tried to wait on him. But he never spoke a word – like I wasn’t even there. He’d walk up, stand there a bit, and then he’d lightly touch the Garand. With just his fingertips, as though it was his lover or something, you know? Then one time I said, ‘You seem like you know that rifle. Carry one in the Army?’ He shook his head a little and kept right on caressing that rifle’s stock, but he said ‘Marines.’

“So then I looked at him a little closer. You know that little blue pin in his lapel? That’s the Navy Cross, and it’s the highest they give except for the Medal of Honor. And so I had to ask him where he got it, and he finally looked up at me. His eyes were brimming, as if some nightmare just came back to him, and he choked out one word: ‘Tarawa.’

“After that, I’d sell any rifle on the table, except that Garand. It would have killed him if I had. I never will sell it, now.” He stood silently for a second, then concluded, “Those two spoken words and that ribbon are all I know about that old man, but they’re all I need to know.”

As if drawn to it, I stroked the stock of the Garand and whispered, “Thank you.” I’m not sure if I said it to the dealer, or that rifle, or the hovering spirit of that departed hero. Maybe all three. But I meant it.

A note: I read recently that as many as 2,000 veterans of World War II pass away every single day. That’s more than were lost on many days of the war. If you know or even meet a veteran from that conflict, thank them from the bottom of your heart…while you still can.

Printed in “The Big Show Journal” May/June 2005 © Rocky Raab, 2005

<SALUTE>

Tarawa... God, what a horror show. I worked with a man who fought there. When he mentioned that place, that time, it was the only time his otherwise jovial expressions, sparkles in his eyes and laughter in his voice changed; he got quiet, solemn, and dark.

Rocky, and I don't doubt that your story is true, that man would have been one of only 24 that survived that battle and received the Navy Cross; of 45 total who received it from Tarawa. A single battle, on a small island, that resulted in 45 Navy Crosses being awarded. Damn...just, damn...

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Brings tears to my eyes every time I read it. Today was no exception. Thank you.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Same here.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thank you Rocky.

My Dad fought in Korea as a Marine. He became a career district Forester, one of his charges was an Man a few years older. Occasionally he would disappear or be a bit gruff with the public. My Father always fought the administrators who wanted to get rid of him and succeeded. My Mother once asked why he stood up for this Man. My Dad just said that Bill had fought at Pelelui and that anyone who lived through that deserved a break or two.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thank You. That is a fine piece of work, Sir. It should not be retired, ever. Things got a bit blurry reading it.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you for posting that, I passed that along.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Great.. read..

Who cut the onions in here?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great writing and a fine tribute.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Salute w/ tears

May I ask for permission to reprint?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Permission is granted for anyone to forward or reprint, provided the copyright notice is included.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for posting this again. I am moved to tears every time I read this. Those damned allergies again. I used to do the gun shows, and every time I'd see an older fellow coming through, I couldn't help but wonder where he served, what he experienced, and how he made it home. I guess these guys are all going home for good now. Our country is a much lesser place with the passing of each and every one. Godspeed fine men.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks, Rocky.

God Bless America.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And, thanks to that (and all the others) unknown soldier.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thank you for posting that sir.

μολὼν λαβέ
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thank You

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everytime, Mr Raab.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thank you for the permission.
As a side note
Here in my home town, we had a artist who at the age of 18
joined the Marine Corps as a Combat Sketch Artist.
He was a dear friend to all but especially young Marines from here.
He told me of the first hours of landing on Tarawa.
Pure Hell with a solid sheet of steel going both ways.
He told of running down the "wharf" or the wooden dock.
If you are familiar with the battle.
Balls of steel, just being there.
To charge down the dock with a sketch pad and handful of charcoal pencils?
Some of you may know his name... Harry Jackson.
We drank whiskey one night while he celebrated returning to the
island for the 60th anniversary.
Semper Fi, Harry, You are missed...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Thank you Rocky.

My Dad fought in Korea as a Marine. He became a career district Forester, one of his charges was an Man a few years older. Occasionally he would disappear or be a bit gruff with the public. My Father always fought the administrators who wanted to get rid of him and succeeded. My Mother once asked why he stood up for this Man. My Dad just said that Bill had fought at Pelelui and that anyone who lived through that deserved a break or two.

God Almighty did he ever.

Reminds me of a fellow who died when I was very young. He as a simple farmer all his life, except when War called. He went into the Corps, as that was what was open when they said he enlisted.

Anyway, my elders who were his neighbors and friends said he was always quiet and polite. But, every now and then he'd just grab up a bottle (or a Mason jar mostly) and head off to the furthest field he could get to. He'd stay out there for a day or two, or three, at a stretch, no matter the weather. After that, he'd come home, work it off, go to church and be fine again for a while.

They said he fought in the first "Great War". Some place over in France called "Bellow Woods", as they called it.

I think, too, of a SEAL I never really knew, just saw. He was old, for a SEAL; an instructor. He was sitting on the end of a jetty, in the midst of one Hell of a storm, waves breaking around him, rain pounding, winds whipping. I recall one of my elders who had the contract to work that job (I was young) asking the SPs about him and whether he'd be alright. The SP said "he'll be fine, one way or the other; he has just seen too much". I didn't know what that meant then, but the men I was with did.

God bless them all. May their demons finally be quiet and their souls finally be at Peace.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for bringing this back again. I remember it well. It reminds me of the night back in 2007 when I handed my DCM Garand to my uncle who had carried one as a young marine in the latter stages of the Pacific theater. He said he hadn't seen one "in person" or even touched one since 1945. But as he held it and ran his fingers over it he started to recall the M-1 very well. From what he told me about it I knew right away that once upon a time, long ago and far away; he knew that rifle very well. After 62 years I was amazed at how well it all came back to him. One of the last things he said about it that night was: "These are good rifles". He passed on in 2010 and the local American Legion did the rifle salute at his graveside service; with M-1's, of course. It seemed very fitting to me; and as I stood there at the graveside while they fired them, I knew he would have been pleased to know that they were using "good rifles".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,698
Posts18,475,238
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.