Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore

Define it as you wish and have the balls to satisfy yourself instead of keeping up with thousands of people you'll never meet and don't matter anyway.

This is wonderfully eloquent and insightful.
Huge +1.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by SKane

Falderal.

I learned a new word tonight. That is always a highlight for me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Prithee...what is a "hunting resort"?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.google.com/search?q=lux...=0ahUKEwioweKEnPvMAhVVW1IKHR7pCM8QsAQIGw

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My brothers father-in-law went "hunting" in Michigan every year to a hunting resort fortified with the best of everything . He was a top executive at Procter & Gamble .
Lavish rooms , booze , five star food , beautiful young call girls , tennis , hot tubs heated pool . They didn't tell their wives they were going to a hunting resort , probably worded it a "hunting cabin".

He did bring back a couple of deer to back up his story though , but I doubt he was the one who shot them .

Hmmm...not really seeing a downside with that, apart from the minor irritation of not being able to afford it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm not a writer, but I have to reply. Largely, because of my past command status with TXDPS, I have been invited to hunt out of some world class lodges, with chefs and wait staff on site. Needless to say those hunts were a pleasure, but a hunt none the less. Other than for birds, I don't recall ever firing a shot at one of those, past the rifle range.

In the same hunting season, I have slept in cheaply constructed shacks, old run down ranch houses, even in a leaky surplus semi-trailer. The hunts were quality because of the comradery and/or the game. In the seventies, a friend and I used to hunt and fish from a tent camp. That gets to be work, but we were younger and enjoyed ourselves. ,

In the eighties, we were a little more prosperous. Cousin and I had a year round exclusive lease and a junky trailer house on a small ranch. Our families enjoyed this a lot. Wife and I lived about an hour out and cousin and family were about the same time out via his private plane. No 180 class deer, but lots of fun and not budget bustingly expensive. We later hauled our junk trailer to a larger spread.

For about twenty years, we hunted desert mule deer and scaled quail in the Trans-Pecos, on up to 900 sections of ranches owned and or leased by Sisters employer. This was usually a three day hunt beginning the day after Thanksgiving. Actually, we hunted quail and the deer were incidental. I killed four deer in that time period and passed on dozens. Our camp was a decent, but primitive ranch house. Running water, but no electricity. Good food, great comradery. I really enjoyed Sister's boss, an older gentleman, and some of his cronies. There were enough of us younger guys, at the time, to chase quail and do a bit of heavy lifting.

I am now the older guy in my hunting circle. I have a S-I-L in the Texas Panhandle who farms and ranches. He and his family have lots of hunting opportunity available to me. In that, I am fortunate.

Other S-I-L and daughter and a partner bought a small ranch with a "lodge" already in place. The lodge was a metal barn with a bath, small kitchen, and a bunk room upstairs. The trio have added another bunk room, a bath, and a commercial kitchen downstairs. The place sleeps fourteen comfortabally. It is a great place for extended family functions. Game wise, quail, dove, and fishing are the impitious, with a chance for decent deer and hogs. Again, I am fortunate that the old man gets invited along.

These places to hunt are nothing like OP described. Even at the "lodge", there is lots of work to a hunt. No servant exists to retrieve my game from the food plot, and I still field dress, skin, and butcher my own game. Then someone has to cook, clean, wash dishes, and haul trash.

I'm 78 and I do not apologize for the way I hunt. I generally hunt either from or use a Kawasaki Mule to get to my hunting spots, usually overlooking a game trail or food plot. Again, I am fortunate in land access and in owning a Mule, but life is not as depicted on TV.

Good hunting,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Maybe you should stay away from the Outdoor Channel and spend some time with an English teacher to learn about sentence structure, punctuation and what a paragraph is supposed to be.

You would be less frustrated and better prepared to make a valid point...

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
"Never sweat the petty stuff and always pet the sweaty stuff."

I don't care who you are, that there is funny stuff. Almost shot CC out my nose on that one.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I feel that it will probably continue its current path based on the philosophy of "I've got mine; screw you for not getting yours" instead of being concerned about making hunting available to all.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
5sdad, public hunting lands are rare in Texas. Parks and Wildlife has a few places available by draws, and a few places for birds.

Other than those, you are on your own to find places to hunt. Even with a year round lease, you can get screwed. Cousin hand I had a place leased. The rancher patterned our hunts, then day leased the property at times when he was pretty sure we would not be there. I caught him by deciding to burn some vacation time in the middle of the week. We were already on to him as there was brass here and there of caliber(s) that we did not use.

I have been lucky. I have lots of family and a bunch of friends that have access to good hunting statewide. Frankly, most times, hunts that I paid for were a disappointment. Surprisingly, I have had pretty good success by simply asking landowners for permission. I was surprised how many folks in central Kansas allowed us to hunt pheasant, after our original destination proved to be already over hunted.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 3,174 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,290
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.