Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Poplar ridge shelter. the trail seems to run east west on that section. Not far north and east of Saddleback ski area. The ATC site won't let me grap a pic.

Last edited by Snake River Marksman; 05/27/16.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I suspect most here have at one time or another been disoriented. I've had experiences in heavy snow/fog/darkness where I've inadvertently done a circle or not known my precise location. With knowledge of the terrain, however, I knew I'd eventually encounter fences, roads, streams, rims, drainages, ridge tops, railways, or even an ocean that would get me oriented.

I an area I've often frequented in dense fog, five bird hunters were once into their third day before being inadvertently found. If one does not consult a map in an unknown region, they likely have no knowledge of the features that can help them get oriented.

One would think most experienced hikers would equip themselves with such knowledge as well as the resources to endure or extricate themselves from such situations. Obviously this lady was short on knowledge and may not have had the will to survive either. Short of a journal, we will likely never know.

A lesser scale local situation from years ago: A traveling couple stopped on a winter's evening at one of our remote rest areas here in SE Oregon. The facility is nothing more than a fiberglass outhouse situated by a highway turnout accessing a huge sagebrush flat. One has to walk a path about 40 yards from the parking area to access the toilet. We were enduring a winter inversion with persistent fog and subzero temps. The lady exited the outhouse, missed the path in the fog and darkness, and wandered out into the elements to perish from hypothermia a couple miles out. Her mistake was she kept going as opposed to stopping to await a call or signal from her concerned spouse.

One does not leave the rig for a roadside toilet with a compass, map, GPS, sleeping bag, matches, and some shelter in hand. Still though, I can understand how even a trivial aside can have serious consequences in a remote area. Readings of some of the early Antarctic materials often mention near catastrophes for ventures involving only a few yards.

Back on subject though, it still seems amazing one could not reason there way out of the subject situation when they endured for so long.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/27/16.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a map of the area. She spent the night at the Poplar Ridge lean-to. From the scale, she wasn't much over 2 miles from the shelter. It looks like she headed north on another ridge. She had crossed a road just before that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by Ringman
I feel sorry for the guys who found her rotten skeleton, that is one image they will never get out of their minds.

This is interesting to me. Maybe it's because I'm old, I don't know. To find a rotten skeleton would not bother me at all, except my concern for the family who lost a loved one.

Really? That is because you have never found a rotten skeleton.
When I was a paramedic, we had a guy go missing on the river. Found him 10 months later, he had been swept 8 miles downstream and snagged up on a log in the river. Still had the tennis shoe on but there was a skeleton foot inside. Blue jeans pretty much intact. A little dried muscle and gristle still on the skull, catfish had eaten his eyes.

That was 30 years ago and I am still trying to forget it.

Seen plenty of dead bodies in various states of decay, as wrll as skeletal remains...he'll even ordered take out over a few...they aren't a big deal

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Floaters are the worst.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Mehh....kids were the worst

You just learned not to poke the floaters with sticks

Same as not rolling the ones that had been laying on the carpet for a week or so

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hind sight is always so much better.She should have done this and that.Bla,bla bla.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Rock Chuck:

Based on your images, I pulled up the PDF topo map and image (ME_Redington_20140930_TM_geo.pdf) from:

PDF map and image downloader site - USGS

Looks like a couple mile hike down and over to Redington Pond would have taken her to a road. South would have hit the Barnjam Rd. Images also suggest there's been a fair amount of human activity to the north and east.

Sad.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/27/16.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
She could have gone in almost any direction and found something useful. Down would have been very good. This is one time when waiting for help was a poor choice. I think she just flipped out and couldn't reason it out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Watch a few videos on youtube of AT thru-hikers documenting their journey and you'll get a better sense of how something like this could happen. Most try to go so light that they carry ZERO survival equipment. They carry a shelter and enough food to get them to the next town. That's it. I've seen posts on WhiteBlaze.net where they actually ridicule people for carrying a knife, compass, or fire-starter because it's "useless dead weight". Most thru-hikers carry less gear than I have in my pockets to go to work in an office.

I work with a guy that's thru-hiked the AT and he labels anyone who he sees on the trail with a belt knife as an idiot neophyte. Thru-hikers are no doubt a tough bunch, but they are definitely a different breed. They can lay down 20 miles a day, day after day, as long as it's on the trail. Throw most of them out in the woods with no marked trail and a lot of them would be just as lost as this lady was. They're not hunters who willing venture off into the unmarked wilderness like most responding to the thread. Of course, there are exceptions to every generalization.

I'm guessing her age and anxiety, along with the obvious lack of woodsmanship, played a large part in her demise.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
She couldn't help it, she was born a woman. Most women= No common sense, No responsibility.

Kevin
NRA Lifetime Member
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Happy_Prospector
She couldn't help it, she was born a woman. Most women= No common sense, No responsibility.

Ding, ding......winner.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Since everyone seems to have the bases covered pretty well on how she could easily have become legitimately lost, I'll throw out a few points on the conspiracy side of things by combining several of the already-put-forth possibilities.

First off, she died of starvation in only "26 days", but seemingly didn't expend any calories trying to help herself?

Secondly, how do we know it only took 26 days? I mean, is the only "evidence" the date in her journal? Could she not have post dated it?

Thirdly, although I'd never heard of a SPOT device, she had one, but apparently didn't activate it?

And, from Birdwatcher's NY Times link..

Ms. Largay had adopted the trail name Inchworm, making light of her pace, but that pace had taken her nearly 1,000 miles from Harpers Ferry, W.Va., where she and a friend, Jane Lee, had set off on April 23, 2013. Her husband of 42 years, George Largay, drove ahead and met them in prearranged spots with supplies, and sometimes took them to motels for showers and a night indoors.

On June 30, in New Hampshire, Ms. Lee cut short her hike to tend to a family emergency, but Ms. Largay insisted on continuing.

Later, Ms. Lee would tell an investigator “that Geraldine had a poor sense of direction,” the Warden Service’s investigative report said. “Ms. Lee said that Geraldine had taken a wrong turn on the trail, more than once,” and Ms. Largay “became flustered and combative when she made these kinds of mistakes.”

Ms. Largay, a meticulous planner, was gregarious and made friends easily on the trail. But she feared the dark and being alone, said Ms. Lee, who told park wardens “that George did not know the extent of Geraldine’s inability to deal with the rigors and challenges of the trail.”

But after he reported his wife missing, Mr. Largay told an investigator that “Gerry was probably in over her head.”

Her doctor would tell investigators that once she ran out of the medication she took for anxiety, she could suffer panic attacks.

So we're dealing with an unstable woman on meds that could've run out or been intentionally overdosed on too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 61 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,435
Posts18,470,821
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.