Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Kenneth, that is a good question. I am self employed so I fill my wives and my ROTH. This is not a tax break so I went with a SEP. You can't go with a SEP cause you are not self employed . The question is to Sharecropper, can I also invest in my rollover IRA even after I invest is a SEP and a ROTH? ? Kenneth is asking, can he still find a tax sheltered IRA somewhere even though his employer gives him a 401K so he can do it on his own.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Also, Sharecropper said an index fund can't touch a managed fund. Even though he is the professional , there are many managed funds that are terrible. However, I know of some managed funds that outperform the the DOW, S&P and Nasdaq. I have a few. One is PRBLX and FOCPX. I have had some Franklin funds that were loaded @ 5% load and after 28 months I was still down 5% ( FRSGX) and the tax on the 1099 div was very high. Sharecropper, what is wrong with an aggressive stock without Dividends in a taxable account if it is making money? Not being testy , Just asking

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The SEP limit is separate and distinct or the standard limit contribution limits to a standard/roth IRA.

In other words, yes, you can max out a SEP, and a standard/roth IRA in the same year.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I always see the price of the stock go down what the dividend was. Everytime I get .60 div on my BP shares, the stock goes down .60. Then I have to pay taxes on that? Sucks. I had a crappy mutual fund ( EAEAX) I paid 4.73% load on and the $1.03 dividend came out and the price went down $1.00. I see no reason for high div. in a taxable account. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I would rather feel stupid and learn something than stay wrong with an idea .

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by ihookem
I always see the price of the stock go down what the dividend was. Everytime I get .60 div on my BP shares, the stock goes down .60. Then I have to pay taxes on that? Sucks. I had a crappy mutual fund ( EAEAX) I paid 4.73% load on and the $1.03 dividend came out and the price went down $1.00. I see no reason for high div. in a taxable account. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I would rather feel stupid and learn something than stay wrong with an idea .

Something like 80% of all returns in the S&P are due to dividends. Also, revenue and earnings can be faked. Dividends can't. Either the checks are hitting the mailboxes or they are not.

Although stock prices are adjusted down ex-dividend, by the amount of the dividend, the pending future cash flow of a dividend also causes the price of the stock to rise pre-dividend. If that was not the case, historically high dividend paying stocks would be prices at zero, which is not the case.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Max out your 401k and also your spouses, then savings account after the bills.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Kenneth, what you are doing shows me you will be a winner. Now for the bad news, you cannot fill up your 401k bucket with the 24k and then get the benefit of opening up any other type of retirement account, against the law. Good news, you can continue to put money into your Company's 401k after the 24k limit is met, BUT any amount over the 24 has to be taxed first, then it can sit in your 401k and grow tax deferred until you retire and begin your withdrawals. This "extra" money you add to your 401k can also be rolled into a ROTH IRA, but you have to pay taxes on the gains the year you roll into ROTH.
Simply tell you HR person you want to add after tax money to your 401k after you reach the 24k limit. There are many more options to if your Company offered them, most companys don't except to their very top earners.
Ihookem--it is ok to have growth company's that do not pay dividends. But, your CORE money should produce income, it's much more effective. Also volatility is much higher in non dividend paying stocks. I only own one none paying stock, Google A share, their data trove is incredible, but I am only willing to buy it at 20 times earnings or less, so I have very few buying opportunitys:))
I would rather have a client buy a Small or Mid cap fund if they want more alpha/growth.
Have a good evening, and thank a solider tomorrow if given the chance.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Simply tell you HR person you want to add after tax money to your 401k after you reach the 24k limit.

You cannot do this. By law excess contributions to a 401k must be returned.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Another good deal is a 529 fund. You can direct contributions to a 529 tax free provided they are later used for the college education of your children or grandchildren. Start early enough and quite a lot can be accumulated. My state offers several mutual fund choices in which to invest the funds, including no-load Vanguard funds.

The 529 is even a better deal than a 401(k) IF you know you're going to pay for someone's college expenses. If they don't go to college, you get to take back the money (which will probably accumulated to a large amount by then) but have to pay a 10% penalty.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Another good deal is a 529 fund. You can direct contributions to a 529 tax free provided they are later used for the college education of your children or grandchildren. Start early enough and quite a lot can be accumulated. My state offers several mutual fund choices in which to invest the funds, including no-load Vanguard funds.

The 529 is even a better deal than a 401(k) IF you know you're going to pay for someone's college expenses. If they don't go to college, you get to take back the money (which will probably accumulated to a large amount by then) but have to pay a 10% penalty.

529 contributions are not tax free. The earnings are tax free if they are used for qualified higher education purposes.

IC B3

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sharecropper
Kenneth, what you are doing shows me you will be a winner. Now for the bad news, you cannot fill up your 401k bucket with the 24k and then get the benefit of opening up any other type of retirement account, against the law. Good news, you can continue to put money into your Company's 401k after the 24k limit is met, BUT any amount over the 24 has to be taxed first, then it can sit in your 401k and grow tax deferred until you retire and begin your withdrawals. This "extra" money you add to your 401k can also be rolled into a ROTH IRA, but you have to pay taxes on the gains the year you roll into ROTH.
Simply tell you HR person you want to add after tax money to your 401k after you reach the 24k limit. There are many more options to if your Company offered them, most companys don't except to their very top earners.
Ihookem--it is ok to have growth company's that do not pay dividends. But, your CORE money should produce income, it's much more effective. Also volatility is much higher in non dividend paying stocks. I only own one none paying stock, Google A share, their data trove is incredible, but I am only willing to buy it at 20 times earnings or less, so I have very few buying opportunitys:))
I would rather have a client buy a Small or Mid cap fund if they want more alpha/growth.

Good stuff here, but could you please clarify the amount allowed pretax.

Everything I see or knew was 6500 per year, is that 6500 per account? Where did 24k come from?

Is it 24k allowed pretax per year per-person?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Not exactly correct. You can contribute the full $24,000 (including catch up) into a 401k AND open a traditional IRA with the full $6,500 if he is filing jointly and the modified AGI is below $98,000 for 2016. There is no percentage limitation for contributions into a 401k only a max dollar limit based on age and plan testing limitations.

IRS plan limitations on contributions

He mentioned the 25% tax bracket which would put his income somewhere between $75,300 and $151,900 for married filing jointly. He did say "we" so I am thinking he is married. He would be in a sweet spot to contribute the max to both if they fall below the $98,000 modified AGI.

Also, I don't know of many 401k plans that you can simply call HR and tell them to keep contributing beyond the max based on age even if it is after tax dollars.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Married and 25% bracket. Correct.

Good info here folks, Thanks.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Good stuff here, but could you please clarify the amount allowed pretax.

Everything I see or knew was 6500 per year, is that 6500 per account? Where did 24k come from?

Is it 24k allowed pretax per year per-person?

Except the part where none of it is true.

You can max out your 401k and still open an IRA, or Roth IRA> In addition, if you own your own small business, you can still max out your 401K, and contribute to your SEP.

As for over contributing to a 401K, the employer's required to return the over contribution to you. In addition, over contributions to a tax deferred account are subject to an ANNUAL surtax until the over contribution is removed. Over contributing to a retirement account is just a bad idea.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am 100% right about over contributing to your 401k, I have done it myself for 30 years.
You are simply wrong about this.
Now, you may or may not be right about the additional IRA bucket available for those whose earning are 98k or below. I do not have clients at that salary level.
But I know my clients can't.
Stick to what you know, and admit what you don't , life is easier that way. Hate to be ugly, but I know what I know.
I put over 100k in from my pay checks every year into retirement plans, various plans but all are available though the brokerage company I work for, and all legit.
I also have converted my over payments into my 401k into a ROTH IRA, had to pay taxes on my gains, but at the end of the day in sits in a ROTH even though my pay is above the ROTH annual salary.
Now I suppose that's wrong to isn't it?

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I put over 100k in from my pay checks every year into retirement plans,

Roughly speaking, how many crops you sharing? smile

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I am 100% right about over contributing to your 401k, I have done it myself for 30 years.
Now, you may or may not be right about the additional IRA bucket available for those whose earning are 98k or below. I do not have clients at that salary level.
Stick to what you know, and admit what you don't , life is easier that way. Hate to be ugly, but I know what I know.
I put over 100k in from my pay checks every year into retirement plans, various plans but all are available though the brokerage company I work for, and all legit.
I also have converted my over payments into my 401k into a ROTH IRA, had to pay taxes on my gains, but at the end of the day in sits in a ROTH even though my pay is above the ROTH annual salary.

There is no may or maybe right. I gave the link from the IRS that is crystal clear. Plus, this IS my day job. I am a CFP.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Longbob

There is no may or maybe right. I gave the link from the IRS that is crystal clear. Plus, this IS my day job. I am a CFP.

15 years in Financial Services here as well, with a whole slew of licenses.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wrong without question on putting more than 24k into a 401k annually.
I have had a CFP as well for decades, hasn't brought much to my table. Money always seems to land in the hands of the rightful owner, and if you have to teach someone how to spend their money, they are to far behind to start with.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Is trival in the long run. Just save as much as you can in what ever bucket you can fill up. The markets find their averages over time, and what ever fund or type of fund you invest in even if the manager is average will beat the fixed rates offered by Commerical Banks.
The most important time will be the 5 years before you retire and the 5 after, don't lose your shirt in that period, it hurts for a long time.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,829 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,617
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.