Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bonefish
I continue to remain convinced that my hunting enjoyment and successes, to date, would be identical if I had kept my first .270 Win as my only Big game rifle.

Same here. But mine would have been the 308 Winchester.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I continue to remain convinced that my hunting enjoyment and successes, to date, would be identical if I had kept my first .270 Win as my only Big game rifle. I was ruined by discovering this website 😡

You're probably right.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I got the call today that my Beanland 6.5x47L is in process and should be ready by the end of the week. Hoping for the best. If it is not capable of a horn shot on a Unicorn at 500y, I am giving up and buying a pre-64 model 70 30/06 for all hunting purposes.

Last edited by bonefish; 06/06/16.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by hanco
I have had a bunch of 7 rem mags, Kleinguenther's, Sako's, Remington 700's. The were all accurate. Especially the Kleinguenther's. For the money they are my favorite rifle.

I want a K-22! Have a Kimber, Anschutz, and want to add a K-22 to the stable. Have never seen a Kleingunther centerfire.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was impressed with both the .308 and a Steyr rifle. The
guy at the range on the next bench was shooting 300 yard 1" to 1 1/2" groups with NATO ammo that had been made in Portugal.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I should stop reading this board. All this time, I thought the .300 RCM was a silly waste of time. But here it is...

-short-fat proportions for consistent ignition
-fits in a short action
-30-degree shoulder angle
-just a little more capacity than a .30-06

Seems like it should be an outstanding choice for putting heavier, higher-BC .30-cal projectiles right where you want them, really far away.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I continue to remain convinced that my hunting enjoyment and successes, to date, would be identical if I had kept my first .270 Win as my only Big game rifle.

Same here. But mine would have been the 308 Winchester.

Yep. But mine was a .30-06. I could have stopped righ there.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Hunting rifles made simple: ".308 and go kill stuff."

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
When modelling loads through Quickload, the loads with the broadest average/median of the curve usually produces the best accuracy.

The 308 Winchester exhibits this. There are others as well.

Ideally, the powder burn should be optimized at max pressure. With a broad curve the optimization of the powder is less critical as are other factors/variances.

So, to say one is "Intrinsically Accurate" is to say one load is more tolerant to variables than another.

Modelling will take the guess work out of selecting a cartridge, barrel length, and powder.

Field testing will be short with a good model.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Quickload is an educated guess...no?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yes. At least the data I've gotten from it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't care what accolades are heaped on the 308, or how many formulas show it is intrinsically accurate.

It's the most intolerably boring and uninspirational CF rifle cartridge in existence.

Gees I hate that thing...... sick

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Quickload is an educated guess...no?

Yes. At least the data I've gotten from it.

If you delve deeper into the program its secrets will be uncovered.

As in most things you model, test, make minor adjustments, enjoy your sub-moa loads.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
bonefish,

Yeah, the .284 will really shoot. It's problems have been due to several factors. When introduced, many older gun writers didn't "get it," complaining that bullets had to be seated too deeply into the powder space, which is one of the most misunderstood factors in cartridge design. Some even said the same thing about heavier bullets in the .300 WSM when it appeared--and I even heard it from one of the guys at Winchester. But many longer cartridges have their bullets seated well below the neck as well, and nobody complains about them.

Consequently, many writers insisted the .284 should have been chambered in the Model 70, where "bullets could have been seated out where they should be." But the .284 was specifically designed to approximate .270 ballistics in semiauto and lever-actions rifles, NOT for bolt actions. A couple of these writers even went to the trouble and expensive of building .284's on long bolt actions, just to show how it should be done!

Partly because of those sorts of reviews, and partly because hunters back then were buying more bolt-actions that levers and semiautos anyway, the .284 didn't sell all that well. After a while Winchester quit replacing their forming dies for brass very often, and the cases got real sloppy--which didn't do accuracy any good.

Then, when some people occasionally chambered the .284 in short bolt actions, its slightly fatter case and sharper should cause feeding problems.

When Melvin Forbes started making .284's (and his very first Ultra Light was a .284) he made sure it would feed from the Model 20 action. But eventually Winchester brass got so bad he would discourage customers from ordering .284's unless they were advanced handloaders who'd have the time and skill to work over brass, so the rifle would shoot well.

Eventually, however, Norma bringing out the 6.5/.284, so good brass could be simply necked up. Was talking with Melvin about this whole deal again maybe a month ago, and he says Norma's going to make some straight .284 brass as well, with the correct headstamp. So he's back to making a lot of .284's.

I keep trying to explain that the problem with the 7mm Remington Magnum isn't so much "weird pressure spikes" but simply a wider range of pressures, both high and low, with many load combinations, than many similar cartridges in the same power ranges. This was reported to me by more than one pressure lab, one at a major ammo company. With certain powders it's not nearly as much of a problem as others, but there it is--and is probably one reason the 7mm RM never became popular for long-range target shooting.

I'm curious which are the powders that didn't have the pressure problems.

I've shot '06's all my life and am late to the table with the 7mm RM. The RM surprised me as to how accurate it is.
Still the most accurate rifle I owned was a 06. I did shoot a M40 that shot 3/4" groups at 300 meters with military ammo tho. No, I couldn't keep it, I asked.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The term "easy to load for" is thrown around for some cartridges.

JB seems uninspired by Ackley versions or cartridges. Many manuals show accuracy loads for the 280AI at close to max pressure. My limited experience loading for the 280AI points toward this being true in my rifles. Could be coincidence. If true, some may find this possible trait of AI'd cartridges less than desirable.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ron Reiber's pressure-lab experience with the 40-degree shoulders of AI rounds is they result in somewhat erratic pressure/velocity rises as powder charges increase--which is one reason he prefers cartridges with 30-degree shoulders.

I'm certainly not anti-AI (or improved cartridges in general), as I've owned several over the years, and two right now--including my second .280 AI. But there is a lot of ballistic BS thrown around about them, which I'm less than impressed with.

Many manuals show accuracy loads for many cartridges at or near max pressure levels. Based on some evidence, I suspect this has more to do with modern rifle powders than case design, since they're generally designed to burn best at the 60-65,000 PSI maximum average pressure of modern bolt-action cartridges.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I do not think that AI cartridges could possibly gain more velocity than should be gained by their slightly increased capacity and slightly raised pressure standard. Just wondered if it was possible that they perform better in the accuracy department than their parent cases. Could they be more "inherently accurate" than their parent?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I don't care what accolades are heaped on the 308, or how many formulas show it is intrinsically accurate.

It's the most intolerably boring and uninspirational CF rifle cartridge in existence.

Gees I hate that thing...... sick

I have a dislike for that cartridge too Bob. Weird... crazy

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bra: I know there's nothing wrong with a 308. Tried to like them. Great at the target range. They just bore me stiff.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Understand how you two feel that way, in that the .270 does the same for me. If I won one I would sell it and certainly wouldn't spend my own money to buy one. 😳

Some family used them well. I always thought they were the ugliest cartridge I had ever seen. Which makes about as much sense as thinking another is boring. grin

Last edited by battue; 06/09/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, BALLISTIK, 10Glocks, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, 7 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,688
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.