Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
SW 329PD for me with 240 grain 1200 fps limited expansion bullet. This was after much research.

I suspect that anything that makes a loud bang will work 99% of the time.

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Phil, what kind of bullet were they?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaleRider
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Wow!!

Double Wow eek

Good job Phil!

TRIPLE WOW! shocked shocked
Good shooting, Phil.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buffalo Bore loads 147 gr hard cast bullets at 1100fps from a 4" bbl.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Holy crap! What a story.
Sounds like my Sig P226 with 16 rounds of that BB 147gr. just might be adequate after all.
I'd also pack an extra pair of titey whiteys.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 458Win

Oh, and as much as I appreciated the light weight of the little 9mm, it's larger magazine capacity and ability to rapidly make multiple hits, I am not yet ready to give up either my S&W M-65 357 or my S&W 44 Mtn Gun ! And the jury is still out on whether a pistol like my son's Hamilton Bowen 475 Linebaugh would have been an asset or a detriment as complete pass throughs could have endangered others. Plus I was able to achieve 3 hits with the 9mm, each eliciting a response from the bear, by the time it would have taken me to recover and shoot a second shot from the SA Linebaugh.

Wow! I only come here about once an week and was checking this specific topic since I was thinking of ordering a box or two of the Buffalo Bore for the upcoming season. The timing and your response in this situation is incredible. I hope the couple you were guiding left a good tip!!!!

It is ironic that you alluded to the multiple hits vs possible 1 hit (or miss!) with a larger weapon. The last time I fired my 44 magnum, I wondered if I would be able to get off more than one shot under duress due to the recoil and how quickly an animal/attacker could be on me.

Thank you for sharing this experience. I am ordering a couple boxes pronto!

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[...] I had originally offered my article of my testing with the ammo to Lee Hoots, the editor at Wolfe Publishing, but he says he is not interested as there is not sufficient interest in the subject. I will eventually explore the possibility of working with AK F&G or somewhere where the topic is relevent.

Looking at the hits this thread received, I believe Mr. Hoots is of his editorial rocker.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was just in Juneau a few weeks ago and had my Glock 43 with buffalo bore ammo in it for hikes in the wilderness.

My friends thought I was stupidly under gunned. Now I feel much better about my decision.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The BB ammo performed just as well from the Glock 43 and I did a lot of my testing with it as I knew it would be popular due to it's size and weight and actually had been carrying mine in the chest pocket of my Simms waders but the day of the incident was wearing hip boots so decided to take the S&W.
Another side note on my tests was that a lot of 9mm 115 gr fmj ammo , while not as deep penetrating as BB, was a pretty solid performer as well. And the little 30 cal Tokarev with steel jacket fmj was very close behind the BB 357 with 180 grs !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Mr Shoemaker;
Could you please write several books about your interesting life in Alaska.
Thank you in advance

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the past 33 years of living and guiding on the Alaska peninsula from our families homestead I have never had to kill a bear in defense of live or property. DLP as the state refers to it.

Thanks for sharing your story. It certainly contributes to the knowledge base of many!

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by moose444
Mr Shoemaker;
Could you please write several books about your interesting life in Alaska.
Thank you in advance

I'll second that.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
T
T
Wow,Pretty impressive.I would like to read that article !.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Phil, glad it worked out easy to get complacent living up here. I get used to my areas and often dont carry going to change my bad habits. Makes me feel better about my choice of the Glock 20 and 220 gr cast loads by BB. Take care Kurt

Did any of the 9 mm exit the bear?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Has anyone used the 10mm Auto for bear protection?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ready
[...] I had originally offered my article of my testing with the ammo to Lee Hoots, the editor at Wolfe Publishing, but he says he is not interested as there is not sufficient interest in the subject. I will eventually explore the possibility of working with AK F&G or somewhere where the topic is relevent.

Looking at the hits this thread received, I believe Mr. Hoots is of his editorial rocker.

Yup!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kk alaska

I'm curious as well. Sounds like it very well may have been full length shot angles coming and going?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by kk alaska

I'm curious as well. Sounds like it very well may have been full length shot angles coming and going?

Talk about remaining cool on the stool MM, damn!

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Probably the best advice you will get is to learn to carry and deploy BEAR SPRAY effectively.

When applied by competent people,with the right intent, common sense goes along wayt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used bear spray on a number of occasions and do recommended it -- but in this situation, where the bear came at a full charge through the brush and only appeared when he was within 6 feet of me and was between me and the clients within a very tight space, I am not so sure how effective bear spray would have been.

I admit it probably would have been better than than nothing

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,195
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.