Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
A buddy of mine wants to put in for muzzleloader deer this season. He has a CVA. Hasn't fired it yet or bought supplies. I figured why not and went looking this weekend for one for myself. ( never turn down a reason to buy another firearm. grin) I went to Cabelas and fondled a few. The TC impact seemed to fit better than the CVA. Longer LOP and adjustable. It has a 1:28 twist. It was listed at $250. Is that a decent price?

What should I look for in a front stuffer? Any particular projectiles work better than others? I see they had round ball, sabots and solid lead flat nose bullets.

Any help would be appreciated.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I dont have first hand experience with the Impact, but I do have a Triumph. Like you, my hunting buddy has the CVA. When i compare the two, I find the TC guns have more craftsmanship put into them. The fit/finish is just a step up from the CVA's. I dont think you could go wrong with the TC.

When it comes to finding a load for your gun you're going to need to experiment. Generally I like to stick to Sabots and Bighorn 209. Those damn front stuffers are all different and like different combinations.

Welcome to the world. I dont particularly enjoy shooting in-line smoke poles, but they provide some awesome additional hunting opportunities. AZ has several deer/elk/antelope hunts I'd be trying to draw for if I was a resident. If I drew a tag that would warrant buying a new one today, I have no doubt that I would front the cash for a Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
TC uses good quality barrels on all their rifles. The Impact will shoot as well as the higher priced rifles. They just don't have the extra bells and whistles. My brother has an Impact and I have shot it a lot. He usually has me zero it and confirm his load before season starts. His is a great shooter and the trigger is good too. The breech plug also works with Blackthorn 209.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thank you for the replies. It is a whole new world for me with the front stuffer. Hope I can get it on sale for Fathers day. grin

Joe.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
HEY Joe,
I got my Impact! delivered to my door for $225.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/61459/TCA+TC+Impact+Break-Action+50cal+26%22+BluedBlack

Last edited by EZEARL; 06/14/16.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My buddy brought his rifle into work today. It is a bolt action. I didnt see any like it at Cabelas. It is a Winchester. Any pros or cons to having that style compared to the standard breech plug type?

Joe.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Consider the function of an action--load, fire, eject, and re-load. A "bolt action" on a firearm that you load through the muzzle makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RoadRunner65
My buddy brought his rifle into work today. It is a bolt action. I didnt see any like it at Cabelas. It is a Winchester. Any pros or cons to having that style compared to the standard breech plug type?

I'm not familiar with the winchester models, but the Remington Ultimate Muzzloader that I mentioned earlier is a bolt action. It uses a primed 45ACP case as its priming mechanism. This leads to better ignition and essentially a sealed breach. People I know that are using them are reaching out to 350 yards very easily.
Another plus of having the bolt action is having everything thing square. Your scope thats mounted on it and the overall structure of the gun will be stronger.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
Another plus of having the bolt action is having everything thing square. Your scope thats mounted on it and the overall structure of the gun will be stronger.

Another plus to having a bolt action is 6 inches of useless steel that adds weight and length to the rifle, but serves no purpose.

Two questions for you: When you talk about "everything being square" what do you mean by "everything," and how does a bolt action provide better alignment of the scope with the bore?

And when you say the overall structure of the gun will be stronger, what do you mean by that, stronger than what?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Even though my TCs have all shot very well, I feel like the Knights I've had were better made rifles.

I used to go through MLs like crazy, but I'll probably stick with this Knight Ultralite for a while.

Not the cheapest but I'd definitely check one out unless you're on a very tight budget.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Guarantee you there will be another big sale before the season starts on the CVAs. The QR Breech plug and ability to change plugs depending on powder type is a huge plus.

I am a huge fan of the Optima and Accura lines with BH209 powder and Harvester sabots (Scorpion PT Golds)

They are well tested and the CVAs are incredibly accurate with the Bergara barrels.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Wow, a lot of information you guys have given me. Thank you. Options options options. grin Not a whole lot of money to be spend but buy once cry once. Was flipping thru youtube watching the different types available. Interesting to say the least. Like I said, this is all new to me.

Joe.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The Impact does not need another plug to shoot any ML powder correctly. Its fine for anything from Blackhorn to pellets. My only complaint is its not available in stainless steel.

For a tiny bit more you can get a CVA Optima V2 in stainless/black. Roughly $260 online but you will need to spend about another $25-30 for the Blackhorn plug if you want better reliability. You wont need to buy a scope mount though. The Optima V2 comes with a Durasight base&ring combination.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Cliff notes inline muzzle loader 101.

Black powder when fired enhances corrosion. Hence many stainless options and black powder substitutes like Blackhorn 209. Black powder and most substitutes do not usually burn as clean as smokeless powders which can inhibit reloading.

Inline muzzle loaders have a few basic bullet types: round ball with lubed patch, Paper patched cylindrical bullets, bullets with a base wad, conical base (expanding base) bullets, bullets combined with sabots which are essentially the same as a shotgun wad.

The above means cleaning is way more important that with CF rifles, that's why you get the other peoples comments about breech plugs and bolts etc.

Because bullet diameters can vary as do barrels this gets to be a mix and match proposition to get the best accuracy

Because of the dirty burning and corrosion possibilities, you always have to coat the breech plug threads with anti-seize compound.

I've built a couple and shot quite a few over the last forty odd years. I like the CVA falling blocks like the Kodiak Magnums. They're easy to live with. I use TC sabots and Barnes 250 grain T-EZ bullets. With 66 grains by weight of BH-209 I get about 1700 FPS and inch groups at 100. I've never needed a second shot, and only had one run. The one that ran made no sense at that. Shot was through the bottom end of both scapula at fifty yards, blew up almost all of the lungs and turned 2/3 of the heart into hamburger. It was a medium size fawn and made it maybe 60 yards. Every other deer I have shot with MLs, including a couple with lead minis went down in their tracks.

I have only used MLs to extend my deer hunting. Minnesota allows me to hunt an extra two weeks in December provided I haven't exceeded my possession limit based on the zone. It's a great way to have some extra fun.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have had several MLs over the years to increase my hunting opportunities. I have really enjoyed the extra time at the range and in the woods. Handle as many as you can and buy one that fits you and your budget. You want regret it. The Thompson Center Omega pictured below has been great.

[Linked Image]upload an image

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My dad offered to give me a Pro Hunter all decked out.
He wanted my old beater side hammer.
I just gave it to him smile

[Linked Image]

Bought it new, for $315....back in the 90's.
Don't see 'em very much.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/18/16.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Miles58, Thanks for the info. We went to Cabelas today and picked up a TC Impact, not the one I saw last week. They sold it. It has SS bbl with matte finish.
Been reading a lot and I see that they foul a lot faster than standard rifles and NO oil in the bbl, so I see I need another box with just stuff for MZ rifle. grin
I like the way this one unlocks to prime and or remove the breech plug. I will have to get some anti-seize for the threads.
Now for the fun part of figuring out a load/bullet combination that works for me. laugh

Joe.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Hookeye, nice old side hammer you have in the pick. I have one that I have never shot. Got it when dad died, dont even know what cal it is. It needs cleaned up, surface rust from when he had an A/C drip pan over flow in the attic above his closet and soaked it. I just dont shoot open sights well enough past 25 yrd. Maybe I just need more practice. grin

Joe.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
We went to Cabelas today and picked up a TC Impact, not the one I saw last week. They sold it. It has SS bbl with matte finish.

T/C does not offer a stainless steel Impact. Its a chromoly steel barrel covered in Weathershield coating which is similar to Cerakote. The bore is just plain bare steel. The coating is only on the exterior.

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/muzzleloaders/impact

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
RR,

Thanks. It's a TC Hawken "Silver Elite".
Stainless steel, .50 cal, no patch box.
IIRC they only made them for a yr or two.

I popped this one with it a couple yrs before the scrub.....
seen him in bow, he was not cooperative. Week into gun he shows and pow, got him.

Split brow knocked him out of the book.
Gross 177 1/8, net 166 3/8

Oh well.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hookeye; 06/19/16.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (308ld, 35, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 7 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 822 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,740
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.