Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

I'd like to do a Nilgai next year and I've been reading up. Some guides are recommending 338 Win Mag or 375 for bulls. I know Nilgai have large bones and thick rubbery skin so there are no blood trails.

Some act like they are bullet proof while others that have hunted them had great success with much smaller calibers. It's difficult to sort through it all. I've heard a consensus that shots are usually not that long and usually 100-200 yards.

I'd like to use a 338 Federal with either 210 Partitions or 200 Trophy Tipped. Is that a prudent choice for Nilgai? Should I just step up and bring my 9.3x62 for this one?

I'd like to hear opinions from people that have hunted them. I've heard Nilgai are tougher than Elk so more gun is recommended. Not sure if that is true because I haven't hunted either.

Scott
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bring your 45-70 with hard cast flat nosed bullets weighing 480 grains. That will get the job done.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Bring your 45-70 with hard cast flat nosed bullets weighing 480 grains. That will get the job done.

I just looked in my safe and I don't see a 45-70.

Scott
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used a 300 Win Mag with 165gr Hornady Interbonds when I shot my cow Nilgai.She was about 150yds,complete pass through high lung shot,dropped right there.I'd go for a quartering away shot,tight up against the shoulder on the on side,taking out the offside shoulder.This way all your wound channel and bullets energy is directed into it's vital organs.If broadside,take just a little bit of the shoulder on each side.They are grazer,browser feeders.The stomachs are quite large and the vitals are well forward and protected by the shoulders.Get a bullet into the vitals as opposed to the stomach and you should do just fine with any of the larger rifles.Just remember,shot placement is everything.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Any good bullet ought turn the heart and or lungs to soup. If penetration is a concern, the TTSX is the answer. A Barnes may not leave a great blood trail, but it sounds like most bullets do not due to their hide. The Barnes will penetrate though! A 160gr moving real fast if you want to turn the inside to soup, or a 185 if you want to trade a little damage (maybe) for more penetration. If your shots are not too far, the TTSX will open really wide and you'll be surprised at the internal damage. The only TTSX I've recovered was a 160gr that penetrated ribs on both sides of a waterbuck and was caught in the thick far side hide. Internals were a complete mess.

If it were me, I'd load 160s to 3050+ and go hunt with zero doubts the bullets is going to do its job.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Thats a problem.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Scott, I havent hunted them, but most places Ive checked into for a hunt recommend or insist on at least a .300 mag
Im hoping to hunt them one day but the biggest gun in the house is my wifes .30-06...which I would use without hesitation.
Texanss can be funny...most Ive run into recommend the .300 WSM for their whitetails.......

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

If you don't have a 45-70, you need to get one.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've hunted them. The cow is a good bit smaller than the bull and doesn't have the very thick skin of the bull.

Don't look for a lot of blood, that skin closes the hole.

My guide liked .375 and .338. If and when I go back, I'm packing my .375 H&H pushing the 250 gr. TTSX.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seventy-nine Nilgai were collected for research on food habits and meat quality on the King Ranch during a study in 1969-1972. Rifles used were chambered in .243, .270, 7mm Magnum and .30-06, all with factory ammunition. All were one-shot kills, mostly with neck shots. Another 15 were collected during a disease study in the winter of 1972-1973 using a .30-06 with 165-grain Nosler hand loads.

I have seen no evidence that they have somehow become bullet-proof since then. Take whatever rifle you can shoot accurately with a bullet that will reliably penetrate and expand.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
From what I've seen, they don't give it up easily, especially when pursued.

A culling operation may be a bit different than hunting.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From a post by JB a while back:

"I have done some nilgai hunting, usually with large groups of other hunters, so have gotten some data on what works and what doesn't.

One group was about a dozen people who went to the King Ranch several years ago to test the then-new .270 WSM with 140-grain Fail Safe bullets. The guides were NOT enthusiastic about this, since Winchester had also taken some people there a couple of years before to test the .300 WSM (though not entirely with Fail Safe bullets) and the results had been erratic.

By the end of the .270 WSM hunt the guides all agreed opinion that it was one of the best nilgai cartridges ever.
This was based on 24 nilgai being taken, both bulls and cows.

From my experience (not just that hunt) the bullet makes a much bigger difference in nilgai hunting than the cartridge--just as it does when hunting any other fairly large non-dangerous game. The 140 Fail Safes penetrated plenty, so did the job when placed right.

One of the other conclusions the guides came to was that the batch of hunters on the .270 WSM hunt were better shots overall than the hunters on the .300 WSM hunt. That makes a difference too.

I've also decided that one of the reasons nilgai got the reputation of being so hard to kill is that so many are chased around in pickup trucks and shot at long range on the run. A lot of animals are tough to kill when they get shot in the guts and legs. And yes, I have been on one of those so-called nilgai hunts too, and the outfitter not only encouraged those kinds of shots but the way his guides hunted virtually guaranteed them.

In fact most of his guides didn't think it's possible to stalk or still-hunt nilgai--which is BS, because it's done a lot on the King Ranch. Both of the nilgai I took on that hunt (a bull and cow) were still-hunted, and shot at ranges of 75 and 200 yards.

Another reason nilgai often seem tough is the same reason elk seem tough: People have heard they're tough, so they bring big rifles, which often turn out to be rifles they don't shoot very well.

So I agree with Mark, even though he's never hunted nilgai. Take any decent medium-game round with GOOD bullets, and the job will be done neatly if the shooter does his job."

Ben

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Better check with your guide. Mine wouldn't have been happy with a smaller bore.

And, I agree with pursuit, it does make a difference.

On a hunt, you don't have the time and convenience of a culling operation. You're going after a target within a certain time frame.

I'd still take my .375 H&H, but I can shoot it about as well as my other rifles.

And the guide can't be squawking about my puny rifle when the bull runs, as many do no matter what they're hit with. Hit right, they don't generally go that far.

And, I agree with bullet selection. To me, the 250 TTSX is a good choice, plenty of penetration, pretty good at longer ranges and tough. It should get their attention, good "wallop factor"...

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have a friend. He has hunted them twice and, each time he used a .308 Win. which worked just fine for him. One shot each.
They are some tasty animals. Well, what I eat of it was good.

I'm sure you can kill them just fine with larger calibers too.

Note: I have never hunted them. If I did, I think it would be with something larger than a .308 Win. Maybe my 338-06

Have a good day.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I hunted Nilgai a few years ago, using my .375 Ruger, and 270 gr. Barnes TSX bullets.

My shot on a very nice bull was just shy of 200 yards, behind the shoulder hit, and the bull dropped in his tracks.

The bullet was recovered from under the hide on the far side, showing the typical, perfect Barnes mushroom.

I have other calibers that would probably have worked just as well, but this was a warm-up for Africa, so I used the .375.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have taken two Nilgai cows, one with a 7mm Rem Mag and the other with a 338 Win Mag. My son took two young bulls with his 7mm Rem Mag. We both shot the same RWS 177GR Torpedo High Shock factory loads in our 7 RMs. In my 338 I used a Nosler 210GR Partition in a Federal factory load. The cow I shot with my 7 mag, was hit behind the shoulder like I would shoot a deer. She had to be tracked with a dog to find her. After that hunt I got some advice and hit my second cow thru the shoulder with my 338, putting her down. The difference in results was not the guns or bullets but the placement. When my son shot his two bulls, our guide told us to shoot them in the neck. That is what Rick did. Both bulls went right down. Of course he was in a blind and both shots were only around 150 yards. I had to shoot using scrub bush for a rest and at over 250 yards. That guide told us to bring a 7mm or up magnum that we could keep our shots in a six inch group (neck shot) at 200 yards with a rest. He also said to pick a tough, heavy bullet.

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nilgai is great table fare, cooked right it's hard to beat.

And they're rather large animals, lots of meat. Be sure the guide has plenty of ice and gets them skinned out and on ice ASAP, as it tends to be hot where they grow...

I think the bottom line is what you're comfortable with and what your guide is comfortable with. I'm going to go with the flow and not go trying to prove a point. He likes big stuff, I'll shoot big stuff. Not a problem.

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
A friend of mine killed a Nilgaii bull with one shot into the rib cage with a Contender in 30/30. Put the bullet where it goes and all is good.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i've used a 270 and a 300rum, both work. the bull i killed with the 270 using 130gr corelokts didn't take step was dead before he collapsed.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
.257 Weatherby, according to Roy.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm with Roger and mudhen and JB on this. The one nilgai cow I've killed was double-lunged with a 140 gr AB out of a 270 WSM. She ran 120 yards and fell down and couldn't get up again. I had to give her a finishing shot, but if I'd just let her lie there for another 10 minutes I expect she'd have been dead. Her lungs were totally shredded.

Nilgai is not some magical mystery species that requires uber-powerful rifles. They fall to good shot placement with decent bullets from ant reasonable "elk caliber".

Last edited by DocRocket; 06/14/16.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One day i would like to hunt these.
The rifle i will use is one i made up for elk hunting,the 3 5 Whelen,shooting the first Barnes x-bullet 200 grains at 2800 fps.

It should do the trick out to 300 yards if i do my job right.
The back up will be my 7x57 with a 160 grain round nose to the same yardage.
I have shot both a lot so i feel good about my limits.
it should be fun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

On a hunt, you don't have the time and convenience of a culling operation. You're going after a target within a certain time frame.

DF

I would respectfully point out that you have your facts completely backward on this point. Scientific collecting, or culling, usually has to be completed in a short time, often in only day or two. This means that many animals must be killed cleanly and necropsied in a short time. That's why most of the culling that I saw in Namibia was done with either AR-15s or bolt rifles with ten-shot magazines chambered in .308 Winchester.

On the King Ranch, we usually had parts of two days to collect anywhere from a dozen to as many as 20 nilgai, while being selective about sampling different age groups in both sexes. Whitetail culling operations are usually even more hectic. One that I remember in south Texas involved taking and posting over 300 animals in five days.

Ben

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jwp475
A friend of mine killed a Nilgaii bull with one shot into the rib cage with a Contender in 30/30. Put the bullet where it goes and all is good.

It took me a lot of the same exact as above to kill one, 13 rounds I think, but he had been hit and wounded prior to me taking him on...

They are not small, so think about that. But I routinely kill 200 -300 pound pigs with subsonic 22 to the head.

Since its not a leisure hunt usually, I'd think more along the lines of elk rounds. Whatever floats your boat. THey have a tougher hide by far than elk, so a top line bullet IMHO.

I'd not hesitate with a 243, but have to pick my shots.

Flip side is I know some folks that swear the big guns are flat hammers on them. 458 and 460s.

I did shoot one once per the guide, pelvic joint with a 300 mag, 180 partition( that I only recently found out was not nearly as toughly built as the 200 partitions) and it did not make it past the end of the girdle. ANd the lung shot following, seemed to mostly start running out of steam as it exited...

I still say to this day, pick your shot, and if you'd be comfortable shooting a 500 pound whatever with your round, would be more than good enough for me.

I"ve seen a couple flop wiht 308s in the neck...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
rost495, no arguement, here with anything you posted. Big guns and tough Bullets give more margin of error in my experience

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Though I've never hunter them, I've talked to many people who have and, like many have said, usually a big gun is recommended. I once ran into a gunsmith at a local range who was test firing .338 Utra Mags he had built for nilgai-hunting customers. And I've heard of guides who won't allow anything less than a 300 mag.

I suspect if shots were taken thru the shoulder instead of behind it, the gun recommendations wouldn't be so large. However, remember that the people making these recommendations have seen more nilgai shot than most people have seen nilgai.
My advice would be to trust those who have BTDT.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mudhen

DF

I would respectfully point out that you have your facts completely backward on this point. Scientific collecting, or culling, usually has to be completed in a short time, often in only day or two. This means that many animals must be killed cleanly and necropsied in a short time. That's why most of the culling that I saw in Namibia was done with either AR-15s or bolt rifles with ten-shot magazines chambered in .308 Winchester.

On the King Ranch, we usually had parts of two days to collect anywhere from a dozen to as many as 20 nilgai, while being selective about sampling different age groups in both sexes. Whitetail culling operations are usually even more hectic. One that I remember in south Texas involved taking and posting over 300 animals in five days.

Thanks for that correction. I've been on the King and neighboring ranches, never was involved with a culling operation.

I appreciate the experience of posters; dead critters are good evidence something is working right.

My info and opinions are based on ideas and advice from guides. One guide's favorite Nilgai guns are .340 Wby and .375 H&H. So, I went with the flow. My hunting bud took his .338 Win Mag. Those do work... grin

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, since I live here and have shot a bunch, I guess I can weigh in. I have killed big bulls with a 7x57 using 160 A-frames and 140 Trophy Bonded bullets from a .280. We generally recommend a 30-06 and ALWAYS recommend premium bullets like Partitions, A-frames, or Trophy Bonded no matter what cartridge.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A friend of mine lives in Brooks county. I killed two Nilgai on his land back in the early 90's with 130 grain Corelokts out of a .270. Both were male. I was satisfied with the cartridge performance. Back then I didn't have the world wild web to tell me what I did was bad juju.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Exactly. I've shot kudu, Zebra and Eland with the 270 Winchester and 140gr TBBCs.

Anyone who tells you that they are almost bullet-proof or that you must use a 338 Win Mag or 375 H&H to hunt with them either has no practical experience and/or is a poor marksman. Sure, bigger is better (to a point) if you can shoot it, but I'd not ever hesitate to hunt anything up to Eland with a quality bullet out of a 270 Winchester on up.

It's all about shot placement and quality bullets.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I loaded some Barnes 120gr X boattails for a friend's 270 years ago and he found them to be great for this purpose.

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
Exactly. I've shot kudu, Zebra and Eland with the 270 Winchester and 140gr TBBCs.

Anyone who tells you that they are almost bullet-proof or that you must use a 338 Win Mag or 375 H&H to hunt with them either has no practical experience and/or is a poor marksman. Sure, bigger is better (to a point) if you can shoot it, but I'd not ever hesitate to hunt anything up to Eland with a quality bullet out of a 270 Winchester on up.

It's all about shot placement and quality bullets.

I wouldn't say no practical experience or poor marksmanship, rather I'd state it as a difference of opinion. The guys mentioned that liked the big guns were very experienced and I wouldn't call them poor shots, at least not to their faces... grin

Point taken, otherwise. There seems to be a fairly good consensus on premium bullets.

I would have taken my .300 Win Mag with 200 gr. NPT's and felt well equipped. When I hire a guide, I go with his suggestions. Barnes or Swift bullets in the Win Mag would have done the job. I'm sure premium bullets in my 7RM would have killed those animals. When in Rome... wink

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Some of the tough to kill issues are brought forward often by this damned, to me anyway, desire for bang flops being a must...

Large never hurts. The smaller you go the more picky you have to be about shot selection/placement....

Of course in the end no matter what you shoot, like any animal, you better be good at it. And premium bullets with any big animal never hurts.

Of course my noted pistol kill was 30-30 and 170 corelokts... although the things were coming apart and often only making it to one lung or barely to the other. Never found an exit wound. Nilgai was very dead. LIkely would have been after the first shots too had we just left him alone.... not something the guide wanted...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good points.

I guess I'm not a minimalist, seeing what's the least powerful round I can use for a task. I'm more on the other end of the spectrum, but still somewhere South of Elmer Keith... grin

Next Nilgai hunt, I may consider my .300 Win Mag/200 gr. NPT. I still like my .375 H&H/250 TTSX load.

Boom/plop is nice, but a big gun won't guarantee such. I've seen'em run, well hit by a big bullet.

DF

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ingwe

Texans can be funny...most Ive run into recommend the .300 WSM for their whitetails.......

Pretty ridiculous.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Texans can be funny...most Ive run into recommend the .300 WSM for their whitetails.......

Pretty ridiculous.

laugh

Come to think of it, those guides were Texicans... shocked

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL DF, to the OP, I'd happily use my 9.3-62 on that Nilgai hunt, a 286 gr Partition would do it all, although I use 320 gr Woodleighs in mine.

Good luck on your hunt, I gotta slate one of those too someday soon.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the replies. I understand that Nilgai are tough but have a hard time believing there is much difference between them and the larger African antelope which are killed all the time by lesser cartridges than a 338 or 375 Mag. Some guides would have you believe Nilgai are Cape buffalo.

I would think a premium 200/210 grain .338 bullet at 2600 fps would be up to the task with proper bullet placement but I'm not going to argue with the guide. I have a 350 Rem Mag and 9.3x62 I can bring. Surely I won't be told that a 250 grain bullet at 2500-2600 fps isn't not enough.

Scott
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"d have no issues at all with a 338 federal.

Just might limit distance a bit and probably no severely angled shots, but thats no big deal really.

Might even extend the hunt more.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
LOL DF, to the OP, I'd happily use my 9.3-62 on that Nilgai hunt, a 286 gr Partition would do it all, although I use 320 gr Woodleighs in mine.

laugh

I just can't picture you down there with light ordinance... grin

You're for sure not a minimalist... wink

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Still say we should round up a few 24HCF guys and make a hunt out of it. Gunner's big enough he can be our pack mule....

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Johnny, we should do that. I happen to know a guy (STXHunter) who has some great nilgai hunting grounds. Last time we went we had to hump nilgai quarters half a mile through knee-deep muddy tidal flats, so a bull mule like gunner500 would definitely come in handy!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You bet we should Doc, maybe next Feb or so? You're not small yourself, and you have relatively new knees, so you'd be great to have around too!

Dirtfarmer has some awesome guns he could bring......so does Geedub.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Count me in if you get a group together. Would love the company.

Scott
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
JG... I did that "march of death" nilgai-toting thing with Rog and kamo_gari and a very fit young retired SF guy 2 years ago, and I don't care to repeat it, new knees or not! I'm nominating YOU to be the head porter on this deal.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like a set up where one can do a stalk hunt, but have a truck for extraction. That's the way my bud and I hunt them. Those bulls can get pretty big, packing them out isn't my cup of tea.

Us ole farts just don't need all that... shocked

And it do get pretty warm down in that part of the country, real warm and very humid.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't mind being the point man/info gatherer. It's been on my bucket list for a while now anyway. I'll probably wait until Fall to start if you guys don't mind me rounding up some information.

DF, 10/4 on the truck extraction!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If I could carry enough gas to get the airboat down to rogers area, and it was mud and not sand... drive right up to em...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Another thought on packing them out. In hot weather, the meat needs to be on ice, ASAP. Packing out game in CO or AK is one thing, packing out meat in S. TX is another matter, bad for the meat, terrible for the packers.

Us Cajuns do like to take care of the meat. With Nilgai, that's a big deal.

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I shot a pig on top of the hill once with my bow. Walked over to make sure I could find her and then gutted her real quick. About 730 AM in the summer, walked right down, and drove the power wagon back up fairly quickly.

I think... that it didn't take an hour for all this to happen..

Next day in a cooler full of ice, she was sour and we tossed her.

You are dead on about the heat.

But then we only hunted nilgai ever in Feb, before the Juisache would green out preferably. As soon as deer season was over and they'd let us hunt.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Feb sounds better than a hot weather hunt.

DF

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Pretty ridiculous.

Anything less powerful than a .308 caliber magnum only spooks our deer. I'm thinking about ditching my Swede and .270 because they are having the same effect as below on deer.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by cdb

Anything less powerful than a .308 caliber magnum only spooks our deer. I'm thinking about ditching my Swede and .270 because they are having the same effect as below on deer.

???????????? crazy crazy

laugh laugh
Now I remember.......

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by cdb

???????????? crazy crazy

laugh laugh
Now I remember.......

Jerry

Not trying to make sense but to have fun.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by cdb

Not trying to make sense but to have fun.

wink

That's better.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

laugh

I just can't picture you down there with light ordinance... grin

You're for sure not a minimalist... wink

DF

Ima humane hunter DF, and not a good enough shot to be a stunt shooter like you know who.........SHHHHHHHH..............laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Still say we should round up a few 24HCF guys and make a hunt out of it. Gunner's big enough he can be our pack mule....

LOL, that dude left port moons ago JG, all that's left is a worn out old dog. grin

Bull Mule?............very funny Doc, bet we can conspire to get it all done though.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Feb sounds better than a hot weather hunt.

DF

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And y'all don't forget to bounce a rock off my doghouse if you start to put something together. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Count me in if you get a group together. Would love the company.

Yes, you should most certainly be part of the crew Scott, hell, you started the thread. ;]

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
a stunt shooter like you know who.........SHHHHHHHH..............laugh

Who might that be? whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
OH CHIIIITTTTTTTTTTTblush, thought you'd be napping in the palace this time of day. laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not quite nap time............ wink

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Not quite nap time............ wink
5...4....3....2.... Ingwe is napping now.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Lol, you up for nilgai iffin JG, Doc and DF put one together?

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BWAAHAHAHAHAHAlaugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Lol, you up for nilgai iffin JG, Doc and DF put one together?

Check your PMs.....

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Got it, Thanks Poobs.

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
What does one have to do to get in on this nilgai hunt? I have wanted to hunt one for years and now that my Africa itch has been temporarily satisfied, I would love a spot and stalk nilgai hunt. Does anyone think my 8mm mag is too light assuming proper bullet placement. Also I am a Texan. Porsche73

It ain't the way it used to be, but it will do.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
8 mag is far from light....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Porsche73
Does anyone think my 8mm mag is too light assuming proper bullet placement. Also I am a Texan. Porsche73

Probably on the light side for a Texican... shocked

More than enough for just an average hunter... grin

Proper bullet, as with any round.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Does anyone think my 8mm mag is too light assuming proper bullet placement. Also I am a Texan. Porsche73

DF
Way to light for this here New Mexican.

We use .460 Wby's for jackrabbits.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

DF

[Linked Image]

Works great. Minimal blood shot meat and good penetration. How could a guy go wrong there?... wink. Should work on a Nilgai too...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

DF

[Linked Image]

Works great. Minimal blood shot meat and good penetration. How could a guy go wrong there?... wink. Should work on a Nilgai too...

It should... cool

DF

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I hunt with less powerful cartridges than most Texans. I use special bullets though that I get from my friend Ernest Lee Sincear. He gets them from a curandera in Mexico.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

[Linked Image] [/quote]

Yep, and they are always caught in the offside Hide, so one can check for expansion.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep, dem wabbits do got a real tough hide... shocked

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Need to use solids only. whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Wabbits are in big trouble... shocked

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wabbits are in big twouble... shocked

[Linked Image]

Fixt it for you.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, that's better... grin

Ole Elmer would probably mess his pants if he came face to face with a blue bull...

DF

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

LOL, that dude left port moons ago JG, all that's left is a worn out old dog. grin

Bull Mule?............very funny Doc, bet we can conspire to get it all done though.

The trick is getting someone to ramrod this expedition. I nominate Roger (stxhunter). He knows the inshore islands really well, and is more than passing conversant with the King Ranch as well. If we're gonna do an inland exotic hunt (which may make a lot more sense if we've got a crew of more than 4) there are a lot of ranches we can book with. The big advantage of a ranch hunt is that there's usually young "guides" who can do the heavy lifting.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

DF

[Linked Image]

Well, after my last nilgai hunt I'm buyin' a .505 Gibbs...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DocRocket

The trick is getting someone to ramrod this expedition. I nominate Roger (stxhunter). He knows the inshore islands really well, and is more than passing conversant with the King Ranch as well. If we're gonna do an inland exotic hunt (which may make a lot more sense if we've got a crew of more than 4) there are a lot of ranches we can book with. The big advantage of a ranch hunt is that there's usually young "guides" who can do the heavy lifting.

Good ideas!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

[Linked Image]

laugh

Ordinance of that magnitude, gunner's your man... laugh

His .505 Gibbs, IIRC, is a rebored .416R. He actually shot out the Rigby barrel, killing rocks and 'dillers on his OK ranch...

How many do you know who can say they shot out a DG, heavy rifle... shocked

Yeah, Doc, you sure thinking like a Texican... grin

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
A .505 Gibbs! eek eek

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Ive gotta get you guys into stunt shooting. I already know a .223AI is all thats needed for Scimitar Oryx, so Im thinking a .243 oughta be top end for Nilgai.... whistle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been planning a return bout with nilgai ever since I failed to bring home meat from a 1998 hunt on the King Ranch.

The trophy pinned to my wall is a live-oak leaf wrapped around some nilgai lung tissue. We picked it up off the ground about 150 yards from where I shot the bull.

If any plans for a multi-person hunt congeal, I'd like to be considered as a participant.

Thanks.
--Bob

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Ive gotta get you guys into stunt shooting. I already know a .223AI is all thats needed for Scimitar Oryx, so Im thinking a .243 oughta be top end for Nilgai.... whistle

grin

Yeah, Poobs, IIRC the .243 is your "big" gun...

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It is...and if they'd let me, Id use the 'heavy' 100 grain bullet in it! grin

Actually what Im interested in is a meat cow, and Ive killed critters bigger than those with a 100 grain .243...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
223 not even AI will work wiht proper bullet and shot placement... IMHO.

Its not what I'd choose to start with if after a good bull. If only after a cow I wouldn't have any issues using it at all.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Kinda what I thought Jeff...

But the Texans think Nilgai are bulletproof and usually require you to use .300 mags on up.

WTF?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If your Texican guide insists, .300 Mag or more, you gonna be a real party pooper showing up with your .243, even with those heavy, premium 100 gr. bullets... blush

He may not know you're a stunt shooter... shocked

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have a .30-06 I can use.....( borrow it from Ingewife) if they want bigger than that I guess I wont be hunting with them.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a .30-06 I can use.....( borrow it from Ingewife) if they want bigger than that I guess I wont be hunting with them.

I guess you'd need to use gunner approved, genuine 200 gr. Partitions... smile

I think you could convince even those Texicans guides that a stunt shooter like yourself, armed with an '06, is one dangerous dude... cool

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I guess you'd need to use gunner approved, genuine 200 gr. Partitions... smile

I think you could convince even those Texicans guides that a stunt shooter like yourself, armed with an '06, is one dangerous dude... cool

DF

It won't take much convincing when he shows up in his leopard skin thong... Just sayin.. whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Schitt....all I really need is that thong and my Randall knife....

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It is...and if they'd let me, Id use the 'heavy' 100 grain bullet in it! grin

Actually what Im interested in is a meat cow, and Ive killed critters bigger than those with a 100 grain .243...

I shot my "meat cow" with a 140 gr Accubond, MV of 3200 fps, so I doubt that a .243 100 gr bullet @ 3000 fps would fail to collect your meat.

But truth to tell, I haven't cared all that much for the flavor of nilgai, either the cow I shot or the bull a friend shot and shared with me. The meat is really bland compared to our common North American species of deer and antelope... kinda like veal, I'd describe it. Which is not to say it's bad, I just prefer something with bit more of a game flavor.

Just my humble.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Odd you mention that Doc...Ive had quite a bit of Nilgai ( that JB killed) and he has killed both cows and bulls, and he flatly stated the bull is the better eating of the two...

At any rate due to time, logistics and price , getting a nilgai isn't on my priority list.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The bull is a lot bigger than the cow, never ate a cow. The bull is good eating, IMO. You must take care of the meat as I posted earlier.

To me, Nilgai is better than WT, maybe not quite as good as elk, but not much is.

Gotta cook it right.

DF

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I know many of the remarks here are tongue and cheek but to answer the question about why the large caliber recommendation/requirements by many landowners who hunt Nilgai, it's mostly do to poor shot placement. Hell yea a .243 will kill a Nilgai bull if the shots well placed but it's nowhere near the most effective tool for the job. Tracking wounded game in South Texas is a brutal task that should be avoided any way you can! OBTW if someone puts this hunt together I'd sure like to participate! I'll bring my .223 smile

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There are a couple reasons for the .300 magnum minimum suggestion by nilgai guides.

1) Many still "hunt" nilgai by chasing them with vehicles. The only reason I can figure they do this is because if many Texicans can't hunt something from a stand next to a corn-feeder, then they're baffled. Shooting at running nilgai results in a lot of misplaced shots.

2) Many Texican guides are used to deer and pigs, where "premium" bullets don't make nearly as much difference, so don't have a clue about why a "premium" bullet might work better on a larger animal. Hence they're fixated on the cartridge rather than the bullet.

If you HUNT nilgai, rather than chase them with vehicles, and use decent bullets they die pretty quickly with good shot placement. The hide is very thick over the shoulders and neck of big bulls, which is why premium bullets help, rather than deer and pig bullets. But I would be quite happy to hunt nilgai with a .270 Winchester or 7x57 with premium bullets, and maybe something even smaller, though unless somebody's extremely recoil-sensitive I don't see the point.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
I know many of the remarks here are tongue and cheek but to answer the question about why the large caliber recommendation/requirements by many landowners who hunt Nilgai, it's mostly do to poor shot placement. Hell yea a .243 will kill a Nilgai bull if the shots well placed but it's nowhere near the most effective tool for the job. Tracking wounded game in South Texas is a brutal task that should be avoided any way you can!

A poor hit with a .375 H&H is only marginally (if any) better than a poor hit with a .243. A poor hit with a .375 is much more likely if it is a rifle that is borrowed, or one you only pull out of the gun safe for a once or twice in a lifetime hunt.

Nilgai, especially the bulls, are tough critters. I have seen bulls walking around with 4-5 ft of intestine hanging down out of their guts. I have seen these same bulls months later, apparently completely recovered and going about their business. I have also killed bulls that had multiple healed-over gunshot wounds. If I was guiding for nilgai (something that I wouldn't do on a bet!) I would much rather have a dude that with a rifle that will consistently place shots where they need to go, regardless of the diameter of the bullet or the headstamp on the cartridge case.

Last edited by mudhen; 06/20/16.

Ben

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I know many of the remarks here are tongue and cheek but to answer the question about why the large caliber recommendation/requirements by many landowners who hunt Nilgai, it's mostly do to poor shot placement. Hell yea a .243 will kill a Nilgai bull if the shots well placed but it's nowhere near the most effective tool for the job. Tracking wounded game in South Texas is a brutal task that should be avoided any way you can!

A poor hit with a .375 H&H is only marginally (if any) better than a poor hit with a .243. A poor hit with a .375 is much more likely if it is a rifle that is borrowed, or one you only pull out of the gun safe for a once or twice in a lifetime hunt.

Nilgai, especially the bulls, are tough critters. I have seen bulls walking around with 4-5 ft of intestine hanging down out of their guts. I have seen these same bulls months later, apparently completely recovered and going about their business. I have also killed bulls that had multiple healed-over gunshot wounds. If I was guiding for nilgai (something that I wouldn't do on a bet!) I would much rather have a dude that with a rifle that will consistently place shots where they need to go, regardless of the diameter of the bullet or the headstamp on the cartridge case.

I agree that I'd rather hunt with guys that can shoot but when you hunt for hire you get all kinds. Chances of recovering a bull gut shot with a 300WM have got to be higher than one with a .243

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kinda what I thought Jeff...

But the Texans think Nilgai are bulletproof and usually require you to use .300 mags on up.

WTF?

I think the biggest difference is how they're hunted. Shooting from a vehicle (if it's not on a public road) is legal in Texas. As others have mentioned, a lot of nilgai hunting is done by guys driving around and shooting from high racks on trucks. The animal is almost always aware of the hunters and is often running. So they get a lot of marginal hits and thus a lot of ranches, including the King, ask that the hunter uses a 300 Win Mag or bigger.

I know guys who've killed them with .243's and .270's so obviously they're not bulletproof. I'd like to hunt them but have had a hard time finding a guide would take me on a spot and stalk hunt and not be phased by my using a smaller rifle (I'm not buying a .300 just for that purpose).

As for the meat, it's easily some of the best I've ever enjoyed.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I agree that I'd rather hunt with guys that can shoot but when you hunt for hire you get all kinds. Chances of recovering a bull gut shot with a 300WM have got to be higher than one with a .243

In my experience, the odds of recovering one that is gut shot are not good, regardless of the cartridge. However, if you can chase them in a vehicle and shoot them multiple times, I would agree that it might take fewer shots with a .300 Mag.

Ben

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

And a hearty AMEN from the back row. laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

DF

[Linked Image]

laugh

Ordinance of that magnitude, gunner's your man... laugh

His .505 Gibbs, IIRC, is a rebored .416R. He actually shot out the Rigby barrel, killing rocks and 'dillers on his OK ranch...

How many do you know who can say they shot out a DG, heavy rifle... shocked

Yeah, Doc, you sure thinking like a Texican... grin

DF

AHEMMM, Ed Hubels your man for the real heavies, I'm just a wanna be. laugh

I bought that 416 R way back in '95 DF, sheesh..........blush

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a pic showing the thickness of the hide over the shoulders and neck/brisket area that Mule Deer referred too.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow, I had no clue. Never seen anything like that on a big game animal.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I 2nd your Wow JGRaider and raise it to a double Wow. Definitely want a stoutly constructed bullet for that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, I had no clue. Never seen anything like that on a big game animal.

It's called a "dermal shield". Breeding bulls "fight" by dropping to their front "knees" (actually their metacarpal joints), crossing their necks and pushing with their hind legs against the shoulder of their rival. While this is going on, they are also hooking their opponent with those short, sharp horns in the lower neck and shoulders. The dermal shield prevents those from horns penetrating deeply enough to do some real damage.

After a few moments, one bull realizes that his opponent is bigger and nastier and breaks off before any real damage is done. However, occasionally the shoulders will slip, allowing the heads to move down toward the heart/lung cavity or the abomen where the horns can penetrate the hide and inflict real damage--sometimes enough damage to prove fatal. The ones that I have necropsied that died from wounds inflicted by fights usually had multiple punctures in their lungs that hemorrhaged enough to cause the animal to bleed to death.

Punctures to the abdomen do produce some nasty looking wounds, but they are rarely fatal. The bull that I referenced in the post above had a loop of intestine literally dragging the ground, but somehow survived.

Last edited by mudhen; 06/20/16.

Ben

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You can borrow my .300 win mag #1. Or the .300 Roy. Or the 8mm mag. just no thongs, please... crazy

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Here is a pic showing the thickness of the hide over the shoulders and neck/brisket area that Mule Deer referred too.

[Linked Image]

Those 500gr Woodleighs I bought for the .475 Turnbull may come in useful, after all...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

[Linked Image]

Hoooooooly Smoke ! !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Last big bull I walked up on I was on my way to the quail killin' fields back in January. He was a big un! I ease my way back to the cabin and got my 9.3x62 and came back. Tracked him to the neighbors fence.
Let's see,,,, boys that have shot em on the place have used 30/06 with 180 Partition, .338 win mag with Fed blue box ammo, and .458's and I cannot remember the bullet. We general ambush or still hunt known trails.

I knew the old game warden there in Rivera (now deceased) fav was a Ruger #1 in 220 Swift. Actually I believe he lived in Sarita. I miss him. Heck of a fellow!

An interesting story, While I was still at the gun shop spoke with one of the locals who mentioned a cousin heard a hell of a commotion in his carport/garage on the outskirts of Rivera and found two Bulls going at it as Mudhen mentioned. Evidently they had fought their way across the yard and ended up in the garage. He slew em both with a 30/06 if I remember correctly.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/20/16.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

[Linked Image]

Cool pic. Thanks!

Seen hide like that on the neck of a bull gemsbok...but no place else....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That thick hide is also the reason they don't really leave much of a blood trail - it just seals back up preventing any leakage. I have never shot entirely through one, but have found several bullets underneath the hide on the off side. I really like the old Trophy Bonded bullets or Swift A-frames for nilgai hunting.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

You can borrow my .300 win mag #1. Or the .300 Roy. Or the 8mm mag. just no thongs, please... crazy

Or, if you like, Mr. Poobs, you can borrow my .375 H&H as I'm apparently gonna be using a .505...

... but I have to say I'm with Patrick regarding you & yer leopard-print thong...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Poobs is into light ordinance, sold a beautiful .375 H&H Whitworth.

I'm not sure if "light ordinance" has any relationship with "McFlame"... shocked

Just asking... grin

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here's a recovered .375 Barnes TSX bullet from a bull Nilgai, shot at just under 200 yards.

Hit behind the shoulder, bullet recovered from under the far side hide. Not a lot of critters will stop a .375 Ruger shooting Barnes bullets!

[Linked Image]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Last big bull I walked up on I was on my way to the quail killin' fields back in January. He was a big un! I ease my way back to the cabin and got my 9.3x62 and came back. Tracked him to the neighbors fence.
Let's see,,,, boys that have shot em on the place have used 30/06 with 180 Partition, .338 win mag with Fed blue box ammo, and .458's and I cannot remember the bullet. We general ambush or still hunt known trails.

I knew the old game warden there in Rivera (now deceased) fav was a Ruger #1 in 220 Swift. Actually I believe he lived in Sarita. I miss him. Heck of a fellow!

An interesting story, While I was still at the gun shop spoke with one of the locals who mentioned a cousin heard a hell of a commotion in his carport/garage on the outskirts of Rivera and found two Bulls going at it as Mudhen mentioned. Evidently they had fought their way across the yard and ended up in the garage. He slew em both with a 30/06 if I remember correctly.

If they were already in the garage, it would be fairly easy to get the steaks to the freezer! laugh

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
If they were already in the garage, it would be fairly easy to get the steaks to the freezer! laugh

Thinking the same thing, myself... laugh

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ingwe can borrow one of my .270's.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

Thinking the same thing, myself... laugh

DF

I would have definitely considered it a good hunt!!! wink

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Re picture of hide... I"ve mounted a fair amount of them. The "hide" gets even thicker than on the one pictured.

I'd have no issues witha 223, but its going to be a head shot....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One thing I suspect, after seeing quite a few on the ground, is that smaller-diameter bullets of the "petal" type (whether the Combined Technology Fail Safe, Barnes X, Nosler E-Tip or Hornady GMX) penetrate the off-side hide somewhat better, because the mushroom isn't nearly as as large. As an example, on my last nilgai hunt a couple years ago saw the .30 caliber 150 Hornady GMX completely penetrate one big bull broadside, leaving a nice blood trail--which really wasn't needed. Also saw the same thing with more than one .270 Fail Safe during a hunt a number years ago, when a dozen bulls were taken with .270 WSM's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hard cast bullets in the 444 Marlin seem to do the trick: South Texas Nilgai Hunt

Copy and paste below of the last paragraph of the story linked. There are some pics with the original post on the shootersforum.

Our stalk across the open to get within shooting range of this bull took two and a half hours. When Greg and I reached 115 yards there was not one stick or blade of grass between us and the animal. When the animal looked away, I rose to a braced sitting position and shot the animal through both front shoulders. I heard and saw the Lee TLC432-285-RF impact the bull and it immediately fell. Just as quick, it was back up and thundering towards the nearest brush with two busted shoulders. Greg rose and fired twice with the 375 H&H, I wasn't sure if he was hitting it as it was falling each time its front hoofs hit the ground but quickly rebounding. I rose, and shot right at its anus and hit it a few inches above in the spine. The whack the bullet made echoed across the plain as the animal fell dead. The two cast bullets from my 444T were the only two that connected. I was pleased.

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nilgai is not some magical mystery species that requires uber-powerful rifles. They fall to good shot placement with decent bullets from ant reasonable "elk caliber".

Exactly! I killed a young bull with a .270 to the neck. DRT!

Kelly
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, since I live here and have shot a bunch, I guess I can weigh in. I have killed big bulls with a 7x57 using 160 A-frames and 140 Trophy Bonded bullets from a .280. We generally recommend a 30-06 and ALWAYS recommend premium bullets like Partitions, A-frames, or Trophy Bonded no matter what cartridge.

Running head shot with a 25-06. No sweat! whistle

Kelly
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wait a minute...

...oh darn there is a .375 Whitworth here...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KMS

Running head shot with a 25-06. No sweat! whistle

Yeah, probably running in waist deep mud. 'Course your hunting partner can take care of that by flapping his arms, yelling and jumping around, to keep you from shooting another! LOL

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One thing I suspect, after seeing quite a few on the ground, is that smaller-diameter bullets of the "petal" type (whether the Combined Technology Fail Safe, Barnes X, Nosler E-Tip or Hornady GMX) penetrate the off-side hide somewhat better, because the mushroom isn't nearly as as large. As an example, on my last nilgai hunt a couple years ago saw the .30 caliber 150 Hornady GMX completely penetrate one big bull broadside, leaving a nice blood trail--which really wasn't needed. Also saw the same thing with more than one .270 Fail Safe during a hunt a number years ago, when a dozen bulls were taken with .270 WSM's.

Nilgai are exactly what proved to me that the Barnes was head and shoulders above anything else in overall all types of performance, and I saw a fair amount shot pre and post barnes.

Its why i trust them for anything.

Not that other stuff doesn't work....

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yeah those 444's sure smack like a BFH.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
How is the hunt plan going? I would like to take part if the timing is right.

Richard

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
just got back to this thread. if doing a hunt down to the land cut around the jan or first part of feb the temps are not that bad. hunting there is by boat 40 mile run from flour bluff. have to carry plenty of ice and water plus spare gas. i can borrow one boat that can carry 3-4 depending on how much gear is loaded, my boat would be good for me plus one and gear. the cabin i had been using down there is gone, burned up by wetbacks/smugglers, but my buddy is building another. if in jan can also hunt deer and ducks plus fish. but like doc posted if we kill one on kartada its a long walk across the mudflats, that island is the only one that can legally be hunted on the weat side of the cut. the other islands on the east side(padre island)the boat can be pulled right to them.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wasn't quite ready to buy a boat, but....

Yeah I'm interested. May need another freezer, though smile

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,727
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.