Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
For you 162 Amax fans.... I've been messing with the 162 ELD-X and seeing very good things.... 100-yard groups from my heavy 7 WSM are in the .35" range center to center, consistently, and to frost the cake, the POI is exactly the same as the 162 Amax.

The ELD-X is their new long range hunting bullet.... G1 BC is .630. It has the AMP jacket but with an interlock ring.

162 Amax on the left, ELD-X on the right.

[Linked Image]

My long range spot has a logger infestation at the moment but I hope to start LR testing "soon".

Anybody else messing with these?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot some this morning. Out of this Tikka that really likes the Amax. I shot the rifle as shown with the bipod and rear bag. It has a SS 3-9 on it.
[Linked Image]

I started low and worked up with everything the same as my Amax load(except the bullet of course). I know I need to go back and shoot more, but right now the velocity is the SAME with the ELD X and the Amax. This is the ELD with my regular Amax charge. (2645, 2656, 2635.)
Three into .6. The wind was moving me and the board or I think it would be tighter.
[Linked Image]

My POI is low and right. A little of the right could have been the wind, but not all of it. (Wind switchy from about 10:00.)

This is what it did at 500 yards (2.25 inches. And yes, I know three shot groups are inconclusive, but this is just a trip to check things). I was aiming at the blue tape square. I'm left because I held too much wind (.8 mil.) I know this isn't really long range, it's just a start, but the new bullet looks promising. I just hope it woks on game as well as the Amax does.

[Linked Image]

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ELD looks to be longer - particularly base to ogive. Or is that a trick of camera angle?

Me

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the info, glad to see they are shooting well for you.

I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by teal
ELD looks to be longer - particularly base to ogive. Or is that a trick of camera angle?

That's what I see.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check out the increase in bearing surface.

Dave

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
JeffhomO, awesome post as usual. Thanks for putting it in the LR forum. A crappy pic of a bullet, and a fictional account of the groups you've achieved at a staggering 100 yds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^^ How about just ignoring him instead of polluting up the forum?

Those bullets do look a lot different.

Gerry.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
To my eye all Hornady did with the 162 ELD-X was raise the price 25% and go back to their 2nd generation design. I've been shooting the 162 Amax in my 7RMs for past 22 years and this new bullet looks exactly like the Amax circa 1994.

The bearing surface/boat tail of the older Amax was longer and provided a significant increase in BC over the 3rd incarnation of the 162 Amax.

Unless they changed the jacket thickness/lead alloy content/hardness, I'd say they took a step backwards and increased the price. Whats old is new again.

Of course I've been labeled as a speculator, but here is a photo comparing 2nd vs 3rd generation 162 Amax.

SD

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Other than adding a magic tip and an IL ring too far forward to be of much use, I'd say you're right!

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gerrygoat

cause some folks get off on calling others names and such.... the downfall of the country continues to show itself around this place. But history showed that shooters.com did the same, 24 is headed the same way.

But I digress

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SD65
To my eye all Hornady did with the 162 ELD-X was raise the price 25% and go back to their 2nd generation design. I've been shooting the 162 Amax in my 7RMs for past 22 years and this new bullet looks exactly like the Amax circa 1994.

The bearing surface/boat tail of the older Amax was longer and provided a significant increase in BC over the 3rd incarnation of the 162 Amax.

Unless they changed the jacket thickness/lead alloy content/hardness, I'd say they took a step backwards and increased the price. Whats old is new again.

Of course I've been labeled as a speculator, but here is a photo comparing 2nd vs 3rd generation 162 Amax.

SD

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Seems to me it was around 94 that they had some 75 amax issues too... wonder what was with all that....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Just to make sure we are all on the same page, the replacement for the Amax is the ELD Match. I have not tried those yet. I still have 500-600 Amax's.

The bullet I'm talking about is the ELD-X. It has the same BC as the new ELD Match @ .630.... older Amax were .625 if memory serves. Anyway, the ELD-X. It still has the AMP jacket (I.E., soft?) but they added an interlock ring to supposedly keep the bullet from coming unglued. Here's the box.

[Linked Image]

All I know so far is that they shoot great at 100 yards and to the exact same POI as the 162 Amax, but those two things make it real interesting to this high-volume 162 Amax consumer. smile

On the topic of the ELD-Match, the designated Amax replacement, on another thread it was said that Hornady told the poster that they were identical save for the new tip. I have no idea. The have changed the 162 Amax at least twice. I have some old ones that are really different than the more recent ones. I'll take a pic.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by rost495

cause some folks get off on calling others names and such.... the downfall of the country continues to show itself around this place. But history showed that shooters.com did the same, 24 is headed the same way.

But I digress

Feel free to put me on ignore. JeffO is a god damn liar, bleeding heart liberal and Obama supporter. Give him a hug after you lose more of your gun rights.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah gotta wonder why they put the interlock ring so far forward. Doesn't make much sense.

Of course, there was nothing wrong with the Amax, but I digress....

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

But I digress

Feel free to put me on ignore. JeffO is a god damn liar, bleeding heart liberal and Obama supporter. Give him a hug after you lose more of your gun rights.

Maybe you should put Jeff on ignore as he seems to cheese up your twat without really trying..
smile

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nrut,

I get a kick out of how easy some can get their hooks into another person, even when they don't even know it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Yeah gotta wonder why they put the interlock ring so far forward. Doesn't make much sense.

Of course, there was nothing wrong with the Amax, but I digress....

I've always been sceptical of the value of the Interlock ring, especially the version used on the SST. The SSTs I sectioned revealed the ring was so tiny as to be almost impossible to discern.

In fact the Interlock ring on the 150g version of the .277 version was so small I couldn't even see it. It wasn't there.

I reckon a slightly harder lead alloy in the core trumps any mechanical locking device short of a Partition style design, if you want lead core bullets to stay together.

Back on thread, the ELDX sounds a lot like a sleeker version of the old SST, without a cannelure.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

But I digress

He has his rights just as you and I do. He knows I think he was dumb to think the way he did. Doesn't mean we can't still converse and exchange knowledge.

Hell I think he is stupid to do weed too.

But life goes on, and there are much larger battles to fight than Jeff O. The fight is in another place.

And the name calling is flat pre K childish.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The BC matching the Amax/ELD Match would be the salient point... at least in my rifle, the POI at 100 yards being the same means in theory a drop-in load that matches established drop dope...

...... that's the dream anyway! smile

I've been playing with the 7mm 195 Bergers and while they shoot great, and look good on a ballistic chart (though not THAT much better than a 162 Amax), they do require both a windage and elevation adjustment "offset" from the 162's since they don't share the same POI. That is workable but hurts my brain.

BD, I have seen a 162 Amax come unglued on a deer shoulder at 200 yards. I mean it killed the crap out of the deer but IF the ELD-X really does have a .630 BC I'm for thinking a little tougher bullet than the Amax is a good thing.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you guys think Jeff is really out testing eld's and shooting groups in the 3's, then you are as dumb as he is...didn't know he was a pothead, that explains the fictional world he lives in!

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
If you guys think Jeff is really out testing eld's and shooting groups in the 3's, then you are as dumb as he is...didn't know he was a pothead, that explains the fictional world he lives in!

Don't normally reply to your drivel but since you are essentially calling me a liar, here's reality for ya. Also, fück you.

I shot several 3-shot groups today right around that size (didn't measure them).... prone w/Harris and my uber-tac rear Crown Royal beanbag..... and from a Kimber 7 WSM to boot, not my heavy 7 WSM. 30 rounds through the Kimber, all 162's, and a couple mags through the AR as the Kimber's barrel cooled.

[Linked Image]

Here's one....

[Linked Image]

And here's another:

[Linked Image]

I'm not messing with ELD's? News to me!

[Linked Image]

All shooting pics are from this afternoon. All shot with the Kimber from prone at 100 yards. NF SHV scope.

Both groups were wrecked with subsequent shots, which was my reason for being there in the first place... It was my third time up shooting just since Monday.... have been chasing demons with the Kimber and today I caught a couple. A trigger hand wrist angle issue and a bipod pre-loading inconsistency. Flyers to the right. Last 9 shots today went roughly 1" group, maybe 1.1". I won't pat my own back too hard until I can repeat it over several sessions; a light 7 WSM is non-trivial to shoot that well. But I think I got them on the run now...

I can shoot tiny groups all day long from prone with the heavy 7 WSM and I'll gladly prove it in person.

I'm messing with ELD's in two rifles, the 162 "X" in the heavy 7 WSM and 208 Match in my '06. However none were fired today.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
while the argument is going to be not consistent enough to be .3 groups on average, that is showing promise!

I'd take the 195s any day if long is the goal... over 162s but thats just my lr background dealing with wind...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
PS, since its all stirred...

Voting Hillary this fall? LOL

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hey dog catcher.

You are a miserable POS. Give it a break.

Lefty C

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Jeff nice pics of bullet boxes on the floor, lol!!! You are the gift that keeps on giving.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Jeff nice pics of bullet boxes on the floor, lol!!! You are the gift that keeps on giving.

At least he is trying you're just constantly a Fphuuuk.

Last edited by fredIII; 06/19/16.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
the older I get, I realize that some folks are just born to be smart ass ass holes their whole life and will never get past that.

We are are supposed to deal with them but not others.

Don't get it. Never have really. Much more clear now that I'm a bit older and happen to realize I work for the same type of person. They just can't help themselves.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Recently I decided life is too short to even read some of the posters here. Maybe they can't help it, but I don't have to look at their stuff.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Howdy folks. Sorry for my part in the drama here. Pretty good at ignoring these guys, but every now and then I fall off the wagon.

Anyhoo..... this is why this bullet (162 ELD-X) has got my attention. Shot this this morning with the Lite (my heavy 7 WSM); this is an aggregate of (3) 162 Amax and (3) 162 ELD-X, shot from prone with a Harris and my tactical beanbag.

[Linked Image]

Mainly, though, today I was working with the Kimber 7 WSM. It's keeping me humble. smile Still pulling flyers to the right but they are smaller and less frequent.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
tactical bean bag? I have a bean bag, never got a tactical one.

Off a harris thats not bad either btw.

if you are having fliers to left or right issue, and its taking a long time to sort it out, watch your recoil, is the gun coming straight up and back and then back down on target or does it recoil to one side and land on that side slightly... may well be lack of NPA and or some muscling.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Howdy folks. Sorry for my part in the drama here. Pretty good at ignoring these guys, but every now and then I fall off the wagon.

Anyhoo..... this is why this bullet (162 ELD-X) has got my attention. Shot this this morning with the Lite (my heavy 7 WSM); this is an aggregate of (3) 162 Amax and (3) 162 ELD-X, shot from prone with a Harris and my tactical beanbag.

[Linked Image]

Mainly, though, today I was working with the Kimber 7 WSM. It's keeping me humble. smile Still pulling flyers to the right but they are smaller and less frequent.

Jeff you Keep it up. Dogdick might have to eat his hat. laugh.
Thanks for sharing and no apologies needed. Never back down not for a second not ever.

Got some 208 AMAX's down range this morning 625 yards needed 3.25 moa of wind dope. Just a breeze but it went sub moa. target was to wet to peal and save.

Last edited by fredIII; 06/23/16.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Hey dog catcher.

You are a miserable POS. Give it a break.

Lefty C

Hey if Jeff0 can suddenly turn into a genuine rifle
Looney after an entire life supporting left wing anti gun policies more power to him
He even has a patriotic avatar now

We all know that people change their deeply held life long beliefs at the drop of a hat right?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FredIII,
I need to get down shooting with you soon.

Took my 208 amax's out again today. Still getting 3025fps avg with an SD of 5.7 from my 24" barrel. It's holding sub moa to 500yds which was the furthest target we had out. 3.25 wind hold sounds familiar as that's what it took to smack the rock was lazered at 1018yds.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Baby was born last week and mom is off all summer. So we need to pick a day and get it done I'm in. Be nice to let this rain pass let's try not this but next weekend.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What are the twists rates of your rifles? I've run the stability factors and they look marginal at all environmental zones I'd hunt in with a factory Remington 9 1/4" twist

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

JJ,

You should have no problems with the 162 in a standard twist Remington at 7RM speeds.

SD

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Guys, thanks for the good posts.

Yesterday I hit Cabelas to hopefully snag another box of the 162 ELD-X, which they were out of. However they did have 7mm 175 ELD-X's. Hadn't heard of that one. I was sorely tempted, for grins if nothing else, but I'm too enamored with my practice bullet (162 Amax) and a hopefully-decent controlled expansion bullet (162 ELD-X) having the same POI @ 100 and nearly identical BC. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jeff, have you checked the POIs at your planned hunting range? Thought about the 162Amax for my 7mmRM, but then it got discontinued, so won't mess with it until the 160gr Partition fails me.
May not be the best paper puncher, but that is what I use 160gr Sierra SPBT GKs for, slight load change, but same POI at 300yd, good enough for my endeavours.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Guys, thanks for the good posts.

Yesterday I hit Cabelas to hopefully snag another box of the 162 ELD-X, which they were out of. However they did have 7mm 175 ELD-X's. Hadn't heard of that one. I was sorely tempted, for grins if nothing else, but I'm too enamored with my practice bullet (162 Amax) and a hopefully-decent controlled expansion bullet (162 ELD-X) having the same POI @ 100 and nearly identical BC. smile

I bought a box of 162s to play with but I changed my mind. I'm just north of Eugene, they're yours if you want them.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Pharm, just saw this. Might relieve you of those!

Got some stuff to report. I have set up a new LR spot (Weyerhouser can KISS MY ASS!) and have been getting, and verifying, drop dope with my new NF NXS, on the old 162 AMAX and the ELD-X. My new spot has steel hung to ~ 900 yards. At 600 I was able to verify that the Amax and ELD-X were both on the 10" plate. I've also had hits on the 10" 900-yard plate with it using the Amax dope, but I wanted to be sure... today I had a spotter (shout out to Mr. B!) and was able to verify that my 7 WSM put 3 Amax's and two ELD-X's into an elk-lung size group at 900 yards. The spotter called them out as all in the same group. So..... I'm just gonna say it, for MY purposes the older Amax and the ELD-X are interchangeable to 900.

I like that. Hopefully I'll get to try one on a mulie here soon and then a spike elk after that. A guy can dream! smile

Cannot WAIT for some terminal reports to start coming in on the ELD-X. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 300WM loved the 208 AMAX but couldn't get the 212 ELD-X under MOA until I jumped it further. I know r22 isn't the best due to temp sensitivity but I got 15 #'s cheap and have only seen 170 fps loss going from 90 to 20 degrees.

5rds prone off bipod with jacket under the butt the other day, it does better off a full front and rear rest:

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I just had the brown truck drop some 200 ELD's going to give the a tryin the 06,08 and maybe the winmag. I keep ya posted.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The ELD in the 308 are showing promise and the brown truck stopped today I'm thinking hard about the 162 right now. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Predator, Obermeyer very good combo

Last edited by fredIII; 09/29/16.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
280Ai

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pharm, just saw this. Might relieve you of those!

Got some stuff to report. I have set up a new LR spot (Weyerhouser can KISS MY ASS!) and have been getting, and verifying, drop dope with my new NF NXS, on the old 162 AMAX and the ELD-X. My new spot has steel hung to ~ 900 yards. At 600 I was able to verify that the Amax and ELD-X were both on the 10" plate. I've also had hits on the 10" 900-yard plate with it using the Amax dope, but I wanted to be sure... today I had a spotter (shout out to Mr. B!) and was able to verify that my 7 WSM put 3 Amax's and two ELD-X's into an elk-lung size group at 900 yards. The spotter called them out as all in the same group. So..... I'm just gonna say it, for MY purposes the older Amax and the ELD-X are interchangeable to 900.

I like that. Hopefully I'll get to try one on a mulie here soon and then a spike elk after that. A guy can dream! smile

Cannot WAIT for some terminal reports to start coming in on the ELD-X. smile

Jeff
I hope you have a good hunting season.
You are doing very well with your shooting and reloading.
Keep up the good work.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

691 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 1,408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,481
Posts18,471,797
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.