Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I didn't want to get the other thread going in a different direction than the OP intended so starting another one. When I was in Anchorage for years there would be a guy there making ear plugs in different colors and such and they were designed to fit your exact ear size. I've since lost mine but I liked them and they seemed to work very well. The guy would take different colors of "putty" that hardened, and put it in a syringe type thing and oil your ear so it would come back out and then let it dry and it was attached to a string, so when you took them out they just rode around your neck. I haven't seen them hear in ID, and not sure why. Who has used those and what is your take on them. For me they seemed to create a suction and stay in your ear till you took them out.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You could have put it in the other thread, would've been fine with me.

I've never saw or even heard of what your describing but I'd very very skittish about letting anybody put a liquid putty in my ears with a syringe.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I used the term "putty" for lack of a better description. It was pretty popular in Alaska so I'm not sure why it isn't here. Course it was like $45 for a pair of "custom fit plugs".

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Caribou,

Used to be some folks at gunshows doing the same here (SW Oregon). I never tried them.

I've use the ones in the link below when handgun hunting, wear them around my neck and here is the key 'if I have time' I slip them over my ears before shooting; which is quick and easy to do.

For Rifle hunting I use a suppressor... also not perfect as even a titanium suppressor makes your rifle muzzle heavy (Mine weighs about 12 ounces).

Jerry

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leigh...;sr=8-11&keywords=hearing+protection

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 06/19/16.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a set of the Leights and they are usable but if I leave them in for more than a couple of minutes they start hurting my ears and give me a headache.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Those seem like a pretty high NRR. Might give them a try.
Thanks.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CaribouJack, I've used them for years. First pair I had made at the big Los Angeles Gun Show many years ago. They never quite fit perfectly, but still were pretty effective when I was at the range. I did not use them while hunting.

When I moved to Boise in Dec., 1997, there was a man who had a booth and did the same: custom fitted ear plugs using the "putty" with a syringe of some type. The pair he made for me fit perfectly, were effective, and I still use them.

The man's name was "Rocky Raab," who posts here. He was at a number of the Boise Gun Shows but I've not seen him there for several years. I do not think he is still in the ear plug business.

If Rocky is reading this, he can give you some info, I'm sure.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
LW, Exactly what I was looking for. I just got the company name today from a friend I had to hunt down that did the business in Anchorage. I've been going to gun shows here for 3 years and have seen no one doing this. And, maybe there's a reason for that. If people aren't willing to cough up the money (I think they were $45 a set in Anchorage and that was 4-5 years ago) I don't know. I appreciate your input. Hope you are doing well. I'll try to get a hold of Rocky.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hope you find them and post the info, I lost mine....bright orange, go figure.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got mine made at a gun show years ago. Lost them.
Had my ear (hearing aid ) Doc make me some more. They were way more than 45, but I had some.
So you can go to a local hearing aid shop and have some made.

Of course the lost first pair showed up then.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a set of the custom fitted "putty" type that I have made at a Shot Show a few years ago & they work very well for me.

But for routine range use where I am shooting intermittently & can take them off for short periods, I usually just use muffs, a slimline pair or or an old pair of David Clark's with curves built in for rifle shooting.

MM

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
MM they ware also handy for CAS so you can wear a period correct hat. I usually use mine with the muffs. That really works, especially with heavy magnum hand guns.

Company name is EARS Inc. I'm sure you can contact them to get an agent in your particular area.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen them but personally I have never had any discomfort from Peltor soft foam plugs with a 33 NRR. Cheap and disposable and you can scatter them everywhere. My only gripe is they are a bit slow to don, especially in the cold.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 46 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,397
Posts18,470,010
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.