Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My max w wheels is 50.
Can shoot well past that too.
Farthest deer was only 45 yards (injured, had to go back to wheels for a while).
Man that arrow got there FAST!
Yardage was dead on, shot execution perfect........and that deer tried to duck it.
Arrow got there quick enough it smoked her.

Pretty d*mn impressive after having shot trad for 5 yrs and having the "release string, grab an apple, take a bite, light a cigar and watch the arrow impact" deal.

wink

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
But recurves are functional art.
I just always have liked 'em.
Mom and dad both shot in the local GM factory's league when I was 4.
Remember the big Saunders "circus target" on the garage.
Not many memories past that...........proly blocked out by time and those bright colored rings!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pops had a Herters (so he says), mom had a Tamerlane.
Had it for yrs after they split, was saving it for me, but somewhere down the road she dumped it.

So...........I got a compound when in elementary school.
Got back into recurves around '85.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
here, deer just flat move at the shot, relaxed even.

So we found that about 17 on out you have no clue if they will be right when the arrow arrives or gut shot or missed etc....

So learning that the hard way we just stickto 15 and in or no shot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I hunt private ground mostly.
Deer mellow there. Once gun season starts, foliage drops.........max trad goes to 20 yds.
25 before boom time.

Have found that some bows need more than 1 set of whiskers. Got a rig from a guy that's hunted quite a bit, and his tune/setup was pretty shocking.

New string, higher brace and still that hum (metal riser recurve). 2nd set of puffs did the trick.

Noisy bows suck. But a lot of people seem to like 'em.
Two guys I know claimed their rigs good enough (deer ducked 'em). Went shooting together and when I shot my bow they were like WTF?

Yeah, fast and quiet.

Had a custom bow guy with his fanboys indoors, loud and sloppy the gang was (bows). Let one guy shoot my Widow and he was flabberghasted.

Speed and quiet. Plus he said he couldn't watch the arrow fly.

Well duh. They didn't come out sideways like his did.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Current bow has some low freq noise, not a problem. Kinda cool actually. I suspect if I get a single bolt down limbed rig, I might have to go dual whispers.

The HS I had was unusable with 1 set (single limb bolt), even after a bit of experimentation. You'll see foam and other used........and nothing helped.

4 wooly whispers made it deadly quiet.

Divide string into 4 equal lengths and put one at first inside mark from each end. If that doesn't work, split the diff for the next set (toward tip).

Cost is another 5 bucks and has solved a few bow noise issues.

Some it's not the string but the limb itself (couple of old Bear Grizzlies had limb resonance). Sims dampener or PSE Vibrackeck bands solved those.

I used to go to shoots and hear other people's bows........like lumber falling out of the bed of a pickup! I just don't get it.

Maybe low brace and no whispers, for max speed in 3D.........but these were hunting setups and they sounded horrible!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I shoot my bow for noise issues with somone behind a large tree, so they can hear downrange... thats all that matters to me.

its the way we found out how stupidly loud feathers are in flight... among other things.

And playing around figured out multiple string silencers, string slap issues, arrow slap issues and so on....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yeah, we had folks shoot 50 yards and were behind a decent clumb of trees (totally sheilded) at 30. Blind, we had arrows shot past us to the other target.

Like you said......pretty amazing.

Doesn't take much fletch damage to make them really loud.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 2,888 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,506
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.