Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Dillon 650 set up for another cartridge. I also have a Ruger .223 M77 rifle that is a brilliant tack driver. I bought 2 cases of black hills Ammo for it when It was new. which I still have over a full case remaining. This ammo is like magic in the rifle so I never reloaded for it ( yet) I have been saving all the brass though.

Is there a way to set this Dillon up to load the same rounds for both the Colt AR15 and the Ruger M77? The Ammo is nearly identical and I would like to use the same for ammo for both. IS it possible? Anyone else loading for an AR and a Bolt rifle in .223?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just check the headspace on brass fired in both rifles and make sure they are similar. Ideally, you don't want to have to size them down more than about 3 thou in headspace length. You can size down more, but brass life suffers.

In a perfect situation, sized brass would be about 3 thou shorter than the AR fired brass and only a thou shorter than the bolt action fired brass.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have 2 bolt action .223's and 3 AR'S. I just FL size for everything. No problems in any rifle, great accuracy and no need to sort ammo. I suppose I am losing some brass life, but .223/5.56 brass is cheap. Actually, it's free if you don't mind stooping to pick it up on any public range.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 06/21/16.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My bulk ammo for AR's and bolt guns is an fl sized case, 55 gr sp seated for the AR mag constraints. Seems to work well through my guns.

I do prefer to fl size in a single stage, trim and then use the Dillon for priming, dumping powder and seating bullets.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For the first time in my life I'm considering a progressive loader. Is the Dillon still the "go-to" press?

I too am bulk loading 55 grain sp's/CFE223 powder. Would I prefer a slightly heavier premium bullet? Yes, but nor do I want to break the bank. The 55's shoot nicely indeed anyway.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, get a 550 and don't look back.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
headspace is the one issue between guns. Then seating depth and powder charges.

All are very easy to adapt one to another, with a few tweaks on dies/measures to swap back and forth.

Or buy a total seperate tool head and set up for each gun is another possible route.

Or you get the old standby and find the load that just works in both and size to minimums and don't worry about case life.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, I have about 700 rounds of Black hills for the Ruger,

Bought 1000 rounds of PMC for the Colt AR15 today. I'll just keep the brass separate and load only for the Colt AR15. I'll not use the 700 rounds of black hills at a rate that will justify reloading for a long time. That is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned and does not require much "verifying" that it's good. When put to work it's just a one shot ordeal and the target is immobilized. 700 rounds will be a while to use up.

Now I need to find a load for the Colt AR15, then gather bullets, primers and powder for the AR.
Then figure out how to convert the Dillon from the current loading set-up to the .223 set up. It's been a one cartridge set-up for several years. I cannot recall how to convert it. Guess I'll go have a look see on you tube.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Which grain black hills? I have some of the 77 grain stuff for "social applications" and it's very accurate.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
mine is 50 grain Vmax

I seriously thought that is was shooting wildly inaccurate when I shot the first group. I shot three times and had one hole at 100 yards?

Shot another three to verify, this time the hole looked a little too big to be from one bullet?

Shot another three but one shot at each target dot, all three in the 1/2" black bull. Done, never gonna need to do this again! What a dream system, this thing is astonishing accurate!

Last edited by JJHACK; 06/21/16.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had the same happen with my Tikka stainless ultralight and Hornady 168 AMAX match ammo.

Its worth the $$ for that kind of accuracy.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Yes, get a 550 and don't look back.

I can't fathom going in to a non progressive for running high volume

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,227 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,317
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.