Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by rost495
Nunyafuckingbidness mtn.......

The attitude of some folks on this site continues to amaze me, which it should not.

But hey someone has to win the lotto every day.

Well, sorry to hurt your feelers, there might be a little history, started by him...

Wow, a little sand in the mangina has some serious staying power!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The attitude of some folks on this site continues to amaze me, which it should not.

Funny to be so protective over an area he has zero experience in and less knowledge of...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GrizzlyKid
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by Vek
There are two outfits in AK which are interesting for otc big rams...Claus and Johnson...

There are more than two, and Johnson's area isn't exactly a slam dunk....

If you know of an area in Alaska that's a slam dunk for a big OTC Ram I might just have a kidney for sale... smile

Tanner

Guess I cold have stated that a little more eloquently. I know nothing is a slam dunk up here, just meant he works extremely hard in the area he hunts to find good rams, as its a very low density area.

I know what ya' meant, and agree 100%... It's an extremely physical hunt and the area doesn't just give rams up without some sweat equity... Some of the coolest country I've ever seen, too.

Tanner

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Neither is Claus', for that matter. I'm not well versed in the AK range and the Brooks.

Originally Posted by Vek
There are two outfits in AK which are interesting for otc big rams...Claus and Johnson...

There are more than two, and Johnson's area isn't exactly a slam dunk....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm curious about the hunt itself.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you do a search for a thread titled "2000 words" in the general big game forum last August there's a first-hand account of my hunt, which was in the same general area. Scroll down a page or two for the description, the first post is just a photo.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Vek
[Linked Image]

When Jim Harrower retired everyone was able to go up a notch!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by waterrat
Originally Posted by Vek
[Linked Image]

Hoppy is a tough act to follow!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Sheep population in Johnson's area is well above normal population of the subunit. Johnson has the experience in the area to get his client's in position for good rams. The unit does require high levels of physical conditioning. It is tougher than any other Alaskan range hunt. There are high levels of exposure in certain areas. However, if the hunter has enough fortitude the payoff is worth it. Johnson never abuses the population in the region. He takes one to three rams per year and there are generally 12-15 legal rams in the unit. So its not an area with 100 full curl rams in it but it has a stable to increasing population unlike the other Chugach areas. There was a fantastic lamb crop this spring for this unit which bodes well for old ram survival. My guess is that this will be a cracker jack year for big sheep for this unit.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Well, sorry to hurt your feelers, there might be a little history, started by him...

Seahawk fan?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

Seahawk fan?

I think he is referring to his cluelessness about black bears and spouting really dumb stuff until he got lined up a little short. He works hard at parroting Stick sometimes and thinks the parrot has the answer.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Polly want a cracker?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Parrot is a cracker...

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Harrower: Alaska Range?

I'd characterize the Alaska Range and the Brooks as being the toughest places for a plane-less DIY to crack without exhausting gobs of money chartering plane rides. Could also be that I'm a lousy researcher and as such gravitate toward high effort well-known locales.

Should have qualified my comment about Johnson and Claus... an adequately-demented DIY without a plane and relying on charter services or their own legs can hunt most/all of their territory if they so choose. I don't think it's safe to say the same about other places in the state.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by waterrat
Originally Posted by Vek
[Linked Image]

Hoppy is a tough act to follow!

Last edited by Vek; 06/22/16.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Parrot is a cracker...

Isn't this about a discounted hunt? You've been the resident whinner for 15 years, congratulations??

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Hap guided in an area that is presently hard park Wrangells. His camp was about 10 miles up glacier from Hubert's Landing. He worked Tittman and Mt. George. Hap had two types of camps. The lounge camp for the well-heeled Hollywood types and a brutish hard "jack" camp where he would toss a client and their guide on a ridge with simple tyvek house sheeting. Many of the big sheep from the Book were either taken by Toney Oney, Hap or Howard Knutson. Jack Wilson would have a hunter or two as well. Hap had a 264 Win Mag model 70 featherweight that was incredibly accurate and travelled around the world taking out altai argali and marco polo argali in Afghanistan. Hap was a heck of a pilot and is still a dentist in California. Hap also guided up Canyon Creek and Hawkins Glacier.
Hap actually took a pretty good ram opposite off that lateral morraine up the West Fork of Barnard. He explained to me that the only way that you could get to the rams is to sneak in from up glacier late in the evenings with headlamps.

Last edited by kaboku68; 06/22/16.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Cool stories, I love hearing about those guys and how they did it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I took my best Dall with Paul 20 years ago up the Hawkins Glacier. 41 1/2 x 14 1/2 9 yrs old. Big droopy ram. Same side of the glacier as the old airstrip and prolly 8 miles up maybe. Johnny Coolidge and I climbed up on a rainy day rams were at the bottom of the cloud line. Nastiest place I have ever been. Saw a bigger ram but he would have fallen a quarter mile in the air to a shale slide and then rolled all the way down to the glacier so I passed. Shot the one I got in his bed. Johnny and I went back the next year and looked for the bigger one for a week but never saw him. He must have looped around back to the hard park I guess. One of Paul's guides told me that he and his twin brother had hunted the Hawkins on their own and the ice fell in on them. His brother is still under the ice on the Hawkins. He climbed out. That glacier hunting is not for everyone all rocks, ice, and mud. Twice was enough.

Last edited by sheephunter2; 06/22/16.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
PS for any of you guys looking for a white one $10k is a damn good deal in today's sheep hunting world. Steve guided for Paul for years and is a straight up mountaineer. A bad ass for sure. I'm thinkin $10k is about what I paid Paul 20 years ago. Not for the faint of heart. You gotta get ready or you will wish you did. Tanner would be fun to hunt with.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Hap guided in an area that is presently hard park Wrangells. His camp was about 10 miles up glacier from Hubert's Landing. He worked Tittman and Mt. George. Hap had two types of camps. The lounge camp for the well-heeled Hollywood types and a brutish hard "jack" camp where he would toss a client and their guide on a ridge with simple tyvek house sheeting. Many of the big sheep from the Book were either taken by Toney Oney, Hap or Howard Knutson. Jack Wilson would have a hunter or two as well. Hap had a 264 Win Mag model 70 featherweight that was incredibly accurate and travelled around the world taking out altai argali and marco polo argali in Afghanistan. Hap was a heck of a pilot and is still a dentist in California. Hap also guided up Canyon Creek and Hawkins Glacier.
Hap actually took a pretty good ram opposite off that lateral morraine up the West Fork of Barnard. He explained to me that the only way that you could get to the rams is to sneak in from up glacier late in the evenings with headlamps.

It is Hoppy, not Hap. In the time I was guiding for him and the many years since I have never heard anyone refer to him as Hap.

Hoppy moved to Wyoming for a while to do a little cowboying and apparently still does a little dentistry though I cannot imagine how as his hands are about the size caribou shoulders...

One edition of the B&C book Dall sheep included over 25% sheep Hoppy shot, guided to, or witnessed. He and Oney were partners in the Barnard Glacier area but he also hunted sheep out of his Stony River Camp in the AK Range. Rita Oney took an incredible sheep there, also.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,418
Posts18,470,528
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.