-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Princess discovered when she went to London last month that the ATM machines there require a chip card. Does the ATMs in the Johannesburg airport require chip cards?

Thanks

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
WTF you thinkin', Chuck?!? You'd be as ill-advised to stick your bank card in an African ATM as your dick in an African chick!! I took $3000 in cash when I went, tucked in a double-thickness leather money belt.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
^^^^^^^^^^^

+1

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went to the bank and got cash, I also got a preloaded debit card, one that is not tied to my bank account.

I am taking my regular debit card and credit card just in case, but do not plan on using them.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DocRocket
WTF you thinkin', Chuck?!? You'd be as ill-advised to stick your bank card in an African ATM as your dick in an African chick!! I took $3000 in cash when I went, tucked in a double-thickness leather money belt.

Point taken. I am carrying cash. I wanted to pickup some Rand and hate paying the exorbitant fees. One of the banks that I deal with doesn't charge ATM fees, uses the inter-bank exchange rate, and reimburses up to $10 in the ATM machine owner charges a fee.

Maybe I get stop by a bank there and convert some dollars to Rand.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CRS
I went to the bank and got cash, I also got a preloaded debit card, one that is not tied to my bank account.

I am taking my regular debit card and credit card just in case, but do not plan on using them.

Maybe I should look into a preloaded card. Which one do you use and what are the fees?

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine is through Wells Fargo, and there are no fees with it.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AAA has them as well

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
A lot of pre-loaded debit cards don't work outside the USA. Look before you buy.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
A lot of pre-loaded debit cards don't work outside the USA. Look before you buy.

It seems that there are actually banking laws in the US that require some countries to be blocked due to risk of prepaid cards being used to fund terrorism. Some banks just don't allow international debit card use. This is possibly so they don't have to keep track of the moving target of which countries are added to or removed from the list.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I don't know how much has changed since last year, but when I went the U.S. dollar was accepted everywhere I went in Jo-burg at fair exchange rate, and in Zimbabwe U.S. dollars are the unofficial currency. I'm not sure that I'd bother to exchange dollars for rands. If hunting in RSA, perhaps you should... ask your PH/outfitter. But in any event, exchange rate there will be more favorable than here.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two years ago I sent my youngest daughter to Ghana for 6 weeks. She was in medical school, and went there on a humanitarian mission with the school.

CA$H WAS KING. They ALL want new, crisp U$ DOLLAR$. Just know what the exchange is so that you don't get ripped off too badly.

If you're not able do as some of the others have suggested, open a new bank account at another bank that you are not doing business with. Get a credit card and a debit card. Let them know that it's for international travel, and make sure that you can use them in the countries that you're intending to visit, and maybe the nearby bordering countries also. ONLY place as much money in the debit account that you're willing to lose.

For me, I too would take cash. And well hidden in more than one location. I have a friend that traveled to Russia to hunt bears. He actually had some custom made leather goods that had the cash sewn into them. No zippers, but sewn into the leather articles. If he ever needed the cash, all he had to do was cut open the seams.

Good luck in your travels abroad.

Last edited by Owl; 06/21/16.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the tips. The savings account that I use to transfer money to my outfitter is a separate account at a different bank that I opened for the sole purpose of saving for this trip. I don't mix regular savings, household checking, retirement savings, vacation savings, or hunting funds. Never the twain shall meet. Of course that is primarily to remind the Princess that it isn't "vacation funds". smile

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In South Africa right now, debit card worked great for supper and refreshments last night.

The cards are taken no problem in SA and Namibia. Our host even mentioned it in her invitation letter.

Wells Fargo talked me into the card, they wanted me to use it in place of carrying all cash. And of course American cash is still king.

Arcus Venator

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,395
Posts18,469,994
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.