Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm on my second "disposable" saw. The first one was a Mac that lasted 15 years. Now I'm on a reconditioned Poulan that's about 5 years old. More powerful that the Mac, and runs better. Outside of sharpening the chain, gas, and oil, I haven't put one penny into it. I'm not running it hard though. Just cleanup around the yard and the occasional tree stand. If I was burning wood for heat, I'd invest in a better saw. It's definitely not built like the known "good" saws, but for what I use it for, it works just fine.

What's other's impressions on the "throwaway" stuff?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I should add that I only run premium, non oxygenated gas through it with Stab-il fuel stabilizer.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I threw mine away once. I tripped on a downed limb while moving to a new location.
Might have been a new record for a falling down heave. grin

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I don't consider it a "throwaway" but I bought a Stihl MS170 a few months ago for $159.99 for use around the yard. It starts fast, cuts well (within the limits of the bar length and power) and sips gas. I don't heat with wood so I couldn't see buying a $500 chainsaw for the half-dozen times a year I might need one.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have an Echo that I haven't been able to throw away yet. I got it from my dad who got it from a professional tree trimmer at least 30 years ago. I am not sure how old it is but it has no chain brake and no hand guard. I believe the trimmer used it as a climbing saw. I also have a 14 year old Stihl lower end weed eater that has needed nothing more than a single primer bulb (it ran with a hole in the old one but it was a couple bucks to fix). I am a light user so take that into consideration.

Last edited by K1500; 06/24/16.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I waiting for a Lightsaber.

Then I'll throw away all my saws. wink

(Or sell 'em cheap to you poor bastids that don't have a Lightsaber) smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I don't consider it a "throwaway" but I bought a Stihl MS170 a few months ago for $159.99 for use around the yard. It starts fast, cuts well (within the limits of the bar length and power) and sips gas. I don't heat with wood so I couldn't see buying a $500 chainsaw for the half-dozen times a year I might need one.

I have a little ms170 and it has been a great saw for what I need it to do. It's small enough to pack up in my Samurai and hit the woods to clear roads on the lease.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I picked up this little echo off of flea by for $40 (shipping almost doubled that)

[Linked Image]

I wanted a little cheap saw to carry on my snowmachine to deal with downed trees on trails that was cheap enough that I didn't care if I lost it.

I've spent about double the initial cost in extra chains, a new bar, replacement vibration mounts and a carb rebuild, but the thing just won't die. I'm sure it was used hard prior to my getting it, but it's perfect for limbing and dealing with our never ending alders. Since most of our lot was alders, it got most of the use and accounted for at least three cords of firewood. Something to be said for a small light saw for dealing with small wood.

I will be getting a husky 562xp when I deplete our supply of firewood and need to cut some real wood, but the little echo will be coming along for limbing duty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve been a loyal fan of the cheap Poulans - right around the 32/34 cc size with 16” bars. I’ll bet I’ve owned, beaten, drowned, or worn out 6-8 of them over the past 30 years. Getting them “used” off from Amazon for $80-90, shipped, has made watching one bounce behind the sled a lot less painful.

[Linked Image]

And throwing away the one I three-sided the logs for this cabin with was no cause for grief either; certainly cheaper to replace than rebuild.

(I’m always amazed at the apparent number of people who can’t seem to figure out how to operate two-stroke powered equipment.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
F
F
For a homeowner and occasional saw, the Poulan line is about as good a you can get. We started using them in the 1980's pruning citrus trees after the widespread freezes. Orange wood is tough on any blade and in the hands of minimum wage employees, the Poulan outperformed any other brand. Biggest problem was making sure employees used gas mix instead of pure gas. Even today, unless I am going to cut 80' oak trees for profit,( Stihl/Husqvarna)I use the Poulan saws, my usual work is small around the house,& farm maintenance, I'm still using a Poulan electric that is 35+ years old.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A few years back, I told my wife I wanted a chainsaw for my birthday. The local Stihl dealer is a friend and neighbor of her family. I just assumed she'd go there, and he'd pick out what I needed.

Instead, she went to TSC, and bought the biggest Poulan "Wild Thing" saw they had.

I learned a lesson there. I'll pick out my own tools from now on.

It does crank, run, and cut wood. I guess that's about all a man really needs in a saw. I wouldn't want it for serious use, however.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn
A few years back, I told my wife I wanted a chainsaw for my birthday. The local Stihl dealer is a friend and neighbor of her family. I just assumed she'd go there, and he'd pick out what I needed.

Instead, she went to TSC, and bought the biggest Poulan "Wild Thing" saw they had.

I learned a lesson there. I'll pick out my own tools from now on.

It does crank, run, and cut wood. I guess that's about all a man really needs in a saw. I wouldn't want it for serious use, however.
I agree. If I was burning wood for heat, I'd buy a better saw, but all I really do with it is keep the pines trees in check, and cut up any stuff that falls after a storm, and occasionally a little work building tree stands.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Waiting to get reports on the electric husky's.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I picked up a new little Poulan about 30 years ago for $40 because the gas cap, chain and bar were missing. I bought the parts to get it going and it lasted at least 15 years. It never gave a problem and got very little attention. I just found a better one so gave it away. It was very impressive for a cheap saw.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I tossed my Stihl about a year ago, after 35 years. Bought another Stihl. I think that's cheaper than a throw away, especially when you consider reliability and not having issues when you need to get work done.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up a 14" Poulan Woodshark for a cheap backup saw. It has to be at least 25 years old. Starts right up and cuts great. I figured it would have died 20 years ago.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dale06
I tossed my Stihl about a year ago, after 35 years. Bought another Stihl. I think that's cheaper than a throw away, especially when you consider reliability and not having issues when you need to get work done.
I'd agree if I was having any reliability issues, but the darned thing starts every time, and I get the distinct impression I'll wear out a bar before I wear out the saw. It just keeps running. Now that being said, I can easily tell it's not built as sturdy as most of the better known saws. I keep waiting for the recoil starter to let go, or the drive gear to strip, but so far so good.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I’ve been a loyal fan of the cheap Poulans - right around the 32/34 cc size with 16” bars. I’ll bet I’ve owned, beaten, drowned, or worn out 6-8 of them over the past 30 years. Getting them “used” off from Amazon for $80-90, shipped, has made watching one bounce behind the sled a lot less painful.

[Linked Image]

And throwing away the one I three-sided the logs for this cabin with was no cause for grief either; certainly cheaper to replace than rebuild.

(I’m always amazed at the apparent number of people who can’t seem to figure out how to operate two-stroke powered equipment.)

Must have killed every standing tree in sight to build that cabin. grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I picked up this little echo off of flea by for $40 (shipping almost doubled that)

[Linked Image]

I wanted a little cheap saw to carry on my snowmachine to deal with downed trees on trails that was cheap enough that I didn't care if I lost it.

I've spent about double the initial cost in extra chains, a new bar, replacement vibration mounts and a carb rebuild, but the thing just won't die. I'm sure it was used hard prior to my getting it, but it's perfect for limbing and dealing with our never ending alders. Since most of our lot was alders, it got most of the use and accounted for at least three cords of firewood. Something to be said for a small light saw for dealing with small wood.

I will be getting a husky 562xp when I deplete our supply of firewood and need to cut some real wood, but the little echo will be coming along for limbing duty.

I can' t make out the model number there but I finally killed one of the little echos with many many hours of use. I still have it here, I suspect if I wanted to I could buy a cylinder and piston and get it up again.
Same with an old 026 Stihl sitting here... just have not found the time to order parts and do it.

Poulan, was the biggest junk I"ve ever owned that would never run more than a few times without going in for service. Threw it away moons ago. Caveat, it was circa 78 or so, they may be much better by now.

Light saws we buy small echos, still buy Stihls for bigger saws so far. Not many options locally actually...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I bought a old Jonsereds 49sp today for 5 bucks was dirty no chain break its that old cleaned it up a bit 4th pull its running pretty good, still got some tinkering to do!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1234, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,086
Posts18,482,842
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.