Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#11226515 06/04/16
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Goin' to London Heathrow on a big jet plane, never let 'em tell ya that they're all, aaall the same.

Developing.....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

So you are leaving on a jet plane, do you know when you will be back again, surely you have to know?

Probably lost on the young.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bobbies on bicycles two by two....

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ahh!! Memories! Spent a lovely 13 hours at Heathrow once!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JSTUART

So you are leaving on a jet plane, do you know when you will be back again, surely you have to know?

Probably lost on the young.

Got your bags packed? Is it early morn? Is the taxi waiting? Is he blowing his horn?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Heathrow. Very big. Lot's of terminals. Not sure the underground connects to Heathrow. Have fun. Say hello to Scotland for me.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by kwg020
Not sure the underground connects to Heathrow.

It does. It takes about 45 minutes to get into central London.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Goin' to London Heathrow on a big jet plane, never let 'em tell ya that they're all, aaall the same.

Developing.....

tell robert and jimmy i said hi

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you got a kukri in your luggage... they gonna pull you away from the other passengers, open your bag, and ask you what is going on. Better have a good answer!!! grin

BTDT.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldman03
If you got a kukri in your luggage... they gonna pull you away from the other passengers, open your bag, and ask you what is going on. Better have a good answer!!! grin

BTDT.

For opening cans, officer. It's from when I was in the Gurkhas, honest! blush

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Finally got to throw a leg over a bicycle today, and spend the day on it.

I'm out of shape, compared to 2014, and was huffing and wheezing and suffering leg cramps at times. A whole lot hillier over much of it than my last epic ride, Hey never let ANYONE try to tell you you don't need uber-low gearing for stuff like this, that 20 tooth granny I had to send away for plus that 13-36 cassette in back allowed me to stay on board instead of getting off and walking.

So 65 miles today, Blackpool to Ambleside via Lancaster, Kendall and Windermere. Ambleside being at the north end of that famous (over here) body of water.

Gonna try and head for the old Roman Forts/Hadrian's Wall around Haltwhistle tomorrow. Only fifty miles but incorporates two serious 1,500 to 2,000 foot climbs over passes on just Day 2 which is like the pits when you are worn out from the unaccustomed mileage on a Day 1.

I'll see how it goes.

No time just now to post pics, dunno when for sure when I'll be back online.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Day 2 update: turns out my beloved 20 tooth granny was incompatible when cranking up a hard climb, a thing that had not been apparent around San Antonio. Replacement with a 22 tooth kept me at Ambleside until after 1pm.
Hard climb over kirkstone pass, out through ulswater and then hard climb up to halford summit in the north Pennines. Maybe a 30 mile day. Overnighted on the summit, free 7 mile roll to Alford in the Tyne valley.

Turning north now towards hadrian's wall and Scotland. 7:30am here.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Day 3 Update; Heavy rains on and off all day.

It did clear for a visit to Hadrian's Wall and the Roman Army Museum. Phenomenal! Turns out Hadrian was a queer as a three dollar bill as we used to be allowed to say, so maybe this can be a diversity monument.

Ended up on a very busy "A" road in heavy rain with traffic only inches away, near-suicidal, so bailed early at 6:30pm despite having more'n three hours of daylight left. Came across a B&B in Brampton immediately stopped right there.

Have decided to spend less time in Scotland and angle northwest past Glasgow and Loch Lomond, to reach the Kintyre Ferry to Ulster that way. 240 miles from here, five or six days prob'ly. Two weeks in Ireland after that might leave me time for Normandy.

"Wild Camping" is legal in Scotland, especially for travelers such as myself. Might be off the 'net for a bit.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like the weather is a factor, somewhat.

Excellent game plan though! smile

Hang in there and be safe!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The weather is indeed a factor. 12 noon and just entered Scotland at very suburban Gretna.

Stopped in at first place which has a "full Scottish breakfast", which looks exactly like the English version except the black pudding is called "haggis" and tastes rather like meatloaf.

20 miles in 2 hrs despite frequent map checks, navigation should now be much easier alongside the innerstate to Glasgow. Plus they don't call em the Scottish lowlands fer nuthin, easy going on a bike.No rain yet tho I expect to be seriously wet later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool trip!

Keep the updates coming.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice, Birdy!

Be interesting to see how that stretch of GB compares to the Meth West...err, Mid West here in the USA.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My grandfather came from Kilmany, wonder if you will be around there at all.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
"And I remember that London vacation it was you made the whole thing a ball
There's a million good times I could dwell on
But baby you are my favorite memory of all"- Merle Haggard

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Saw Trump was in Scotland...

Were they impressed?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.