Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I have milled an action for a Wyatt's extended box and am happy with the results. I have seen DBM setups that yield long COAL's. Any other options?

Rifle is a featherweight 7-08 in a blind stock... so a Wyatt's would be milling into the front triggerguard screw hole. Not a deal killer but I'm exploring what else might be possible. The 2.925" a Wyatt's gives is the minimum I'd accept.

Thanks.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A LA is easier as you probably know.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
A LA is easier as you probably know.

Sure! smile

This is a rifle I already have; it shoots great. Specifically it's a Mountain Rifle in an aftermarket glass stock with some other upgrades. Factory barrel. It shoots 162 Amax's great, but at a single-feed COAL. Even a Wyatt's would give me enough more to run them from the magazine. I'd be machining away "some" of that front triggerguard screw hole. Maybe it'd still hold the screw, I don't know.

DBM's add a bunch of weight and would require a new stock. This is a very light M700- about as light as you can get w/o skeletonizing etc. Want to keep it light. Anyway, I'm wondering if there's any other options I'm not aware of.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cut it out and do it like this, ala Bansner.

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Boomer, could you explain what I'm seeing there, as in what they did? No front screw at all?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Or shorten the screw, and modify the stock, so the screw tightens to the stock.

"If it wasn't for the pu**y and the prestige.....nobody would want to be a gunsmith."
MColeman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On my Brown Precision stocked 660 I cut the head off the screw and epoxied it to the trigger guard. It seems fine, with the guard bedded it cant really move and the rear screw holds it. I hunted it for years with no screw there, and finally got around to finishing the job. Probably not how it should be done, but it works for me.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Excellent. Thanks guys!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Good ideas. I am not sure how Bansner does it, I think simply no screw, sure a clean look. Having some stud or such secured from inside was my first thought. Then thought modifying the screw to thread into some Devcon would work. But then you are into the extended box area... That stock is/was posted in the classifieds, not mine, just shown for the example. To achieve the clean look on the cheap I'd fill the screw hole with Devcon, contour it, then coat it.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
On the Rem700 short action I milled for a Wyatt's, it appeared there was enough hole left to retain a screw. However just a little variation in the action or sheet metal would eat that up.... I think I'm just going to go for it.

Side note: a Wyatt's single-stack box makes WSM Rem's feed slick as snot!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holland makes an ADL guard that is rear-screw only and looks like the one pictured above. I have one on a Remington 660 build and it holds just fine with the one screw. If it ever decided to give me any trouble, I'd just drill some holes in the underside and sides of the the guard for mechanical locks and epoxy it in place.

I hear various things about the Wyatt's boxes. Glad to hear that some versions do serve the intended purposes.

Now with even more aplomb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,386
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.