Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Does anyone feel there is a significant difference in performance between the Honady boat tail and flat base interlock bullets? Specifically #3045 vs #3040.

I ask because, in my experience,the Sierra BTSP are much softer bullets and cause a great deal more bloodshot meat than the Prohunter flat base version. Additionally, for what its worth, I have found the Sierra Prohunter bullet is likely to be recovered mushroomed and intact whereas the Gameking boat tail jacket and core are likely to separate.

Just wondering if the same is generally true of the Hornady product? Additionally, in the experience of those that have used both, are they equally accurate and easy to develop loads for?

Thank you

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All I use is 165 btsp by hornady, they are very accurate and there isn't anything I have found I couldn't shoot with them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
tcp -

I've used the Hornady 165 BTSP on several WT and I never recovered a single bullet--not a jacket either. I haven't used the flat based 165 so I can't answer about it.

This Fall I will be hunting a new to me - 06 and the 165 BTSP.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've used them both and they are excellent bullets. Often, I get better accuracy with the flat based bullets at 100 yards, but the BTSP has a better BC for longer range trajectory. I've used them both on deer in the 30-06 and 300 wsm from 85 yards to 600 yard and have not caught one in an animal yet...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Esox357
All I use is 165 btsp by hornady, they are very accurate and there isn't anything I have found I couldn't shoot with them.

Good post. I'd use them on elk and moose too if given the opportunity. However, I tend to lean towards the 180gr. nosler partition on elk. Not saying the good ol 165gr. Hornady btsp or sp wouldn't work with great aplomb though. Hell, one of my favorite bullets is the old 180gr. Winchester power point and it works great on critters of all sizes too.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This is just an observation. For a few years in my misguided middle age, I worked in some gun stores in the middle of some of the best deer and elk hunting in the US. Hornady bullets were the hardest to keep stocked up on.
I heard people rail vehemently against every bullet that you can think of EXCEPT Hornady Interlock bullets. I am a big fan of Partitions to the point of using nothing else anymore, but I heard people rag on Partitions. Elk, deer, antelope, sheep, or anything else. Never heard a complaint about Hornady Interlock bullets. And that is in spite of seeing a Gawd Awful amount of them fly off the shelves. Either people were using Hornady Interlocks for a lot of freeking target practice, or they worked pretty damn well on animals.
Now, the SST, that's another story.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Royce
This is just an observation. For a few years in my misguided middle age, I worked in some gun stores in the middle of some of the best deer and elk hunting in the US. Hornady bullets were the hardest to keep stocked up on.
I heard people rail vehemently against every bullet that you can think of EXCEPT Hornady Interlock bullets. I am a big fan of Partitions to the point of using nothing else anymore, but I heard people rag on Partitions. Elk, deer, antelope, sheep, or anything else. Never heard a complaint about Hornady Interlock bullets. And that is in spite of seeing a Gawd Awful amount of them fly off the shelves. Either people were using Hornady Interlocks for a lot of freeking target practice, or they worked pretty damn well on animals.
Now, the SST, that's another story.

This pretty well says it. I have not killed elk with the 165 out of my .308s, but my kid killed a couple cows with them. They performed great.

I use only 150 Interlocks in my .308s and they shoot 1/2 moa. They smuck deer, too.

I have never seen a rifle that will not shoot them well. I have not seen any difference in accuracy between the flat and boat-tail.

The SST is the worst mistake Hornady ever made, in my opinion.

Last edited by sbhooper; 06/27/16.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Weatherby still loads the Hornady SP's in factory ammo. Can't be all bad. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I've used them both and they are excellent bullets. Often, I get better accuracy with the flat based bullets at 100 yards, but the BTSP has a better BC for longer range trajectory. I've used them both on deer in the 30-06 and 300 wsm from 85 yards to 600 yard and have not caught one in an animal yet...

Have to agree with BSA here, used to push the 165 BTSP's to 3450 fps back in the day [late 80'searly 90's] in a 300 WBY, don't ever remember catching one in deer and pigs, I just simply blew the chit outta everything. grin

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Have to agree with BSA here, used to push the 165 BTSP's to 3450 fps back in the day [late 80'searly 90's] in a 300 WBY, don't ever remember catching one in deer and pigs, I just simply blew the chit outta everything. grin

Holy chit gunner. Rollin here. laugh

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good old blue and white metal cans of 7828 done the deal BSA, lung steam and deer hair floated in the breeze for a hundred yards. laugh laugh

Trump Won!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Not quite as hot as your handload, but my father did go through a 300 Win mag driving 165 Sierras phase.

There were also first generation 130 grain Ballistic Tips out of a 26" barreled 270 Win on top of heavy charges of H4831.

Last edited by mathman; 06/28/16.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I was afflicted with the 3400 fps and above or nothing for a good while Mathman, you really can't shoot a light soft skinned animal too hard, but I was getting a bit ridiculous. crazy

Now, when I got on the 7mm STW and first gen 140 ballistic tips at 3600, OH BROTHER!!!!!laugh

Trump Won!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I had some first generation 150 Bal Tips and a 26" barreled 300 Weatherby at the same time, but I never put them together. grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good, your cleaning and dressing had to be much less fragmatic than mine.laugh

You know, back in the days before spinning turrets, speed helped.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I believe it gunner. I remember loading for the good ol 300wby. I used a bunch of IMR7828 in those cases. Pretty much crunching the stuff when I seated 180gr. ballistic tips and partitions. I wish I still had that rifle...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, I had two of those bustards BSA, a blued syn stocked one and a Classicmark II, that was a pretty bish indeed, had bygod top of the line 3.5-10 Louies on both of em. grin

Trump Won!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Good, your cleaning and dressing had to be much less fragmatic than mine.laugh

You know, back in the days before spinning turrets, speed helped.

In those days I used an early (with genuine McMillan) Fibermark in 7mm WM.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
LOL, I had two of those bustards BSA, a blued syn stocked one and a Classicmark II, that was a pretty bish indeed, had bygod top of the line 3.5-10 Louies on both of em. grin

Back in those days, mine was a sporterized m1917 (who woulda thunk) topped with a leupold vari-x 3-9x40. It was my only rifle for a long time... blush

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot both the flat base and the boat tail. I find the flat base a little more accurate.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 64 invisible), 3,110 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,263
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.