Print Thread
Hop To
R
Redside Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
My screw holes are so gummed up with locktite that I cannot tighten down my mounts, what would be a good way to remove this gunk from the threads.
Thanks

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Acetone on a needle and q-tips.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
try Sitka's advice first. If it does not work for you, then take it to a professional gunsmith who will probably "chase the threads" which is risky on a blind hole. good luck with this! Mel

R
Redside Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks I'll go e it a try.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Chase the threads with a tap....if you mount your own scopes it is a tool you need and don't cost that much...6-48 is probably the size..

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Chase the threads with a tap....if you mount your own scopes it is a tool you need and don't cost that much...6-48 is probably the size..

^^^^This^^^^ Works great if locktite is dry. If it gums up tap a bit use a fine small brass bristle brush to then clean tap etc. If they are indeed blind holes like front hole on a Remington 700 with barrel on it then you will need bottoming tap and make darn sure you start it straight/correct and don't cross thread. Usually best for me to make sure it is started correctly using fingers and not a huge clumsy t handle etc.

Last edited by SDWhirlwind; 06/29/16.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Begs the question, how did so much Loctite get in there in the first place? I've seen gomers shellacing the entire screw with the stuff in the mistaken belief that "if a little is good, more is better". Just one drop relative to the size of the screw is plenty. Equally important is having the mating screw surfaces chemically clean before installation.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Redside Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
It worked like a charm, thanks for the help.
I

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Equally important is having the mating screw surfaces chemically clean before installation.

Kind of a side note here, but maybe something you didn't know - certain grades of Loctite are oil resistant, meaning they work in situations (like engines) where removing all oil contamination isn't possible.

For this particular scope mount application, blue Loctite 242 is most commonly used, but it does require clean threads. If you switch to Loctite 243 (also blue), you get the same thread locking performance, but without the sensitivity to clean surfaces. You still don't want the holes dripping with oil, but really aggressive cleaning isn't necessary either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You still don't want the holes dripping with oil, but really aggressive cleaning isn't necessary either.

Loc-Tite isn't necessary either
Degrease the holes and screws and they will hold just fine

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I can verify from personal experience the above statement, on my own personal guns I seldom use Loc-Tite. On customer guns I will if requested use Loc-Tite, the blue removable type. Acetone is effective in removing Loc-Tite as well as chasing with a tap, since most holes are shallow a bottoming tap is the tool that I use. Start it with your fingers and then install the tap handle, if you encounter any resistance STOP and back the tap out of the hole. Forcing a tap practically ensures breaking it, go slow and easy you'll feel the bottom of the hole when you reach it.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Have never seen a need to use Loctite anywhere on a gun. Used the Purple low strength Loctite (believe it's designed for fasteners under 1/4") when assembling a crossbow about 5 or 6 years ago, it's still together and never had an issue....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (44mc, 1eyedmule, 160user, 3333vl, 2UP, 308ld, 14 invisible), 1,544 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.