Page 9 of 25 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 24 25
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya I was...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Pretty sure she was aiming that at me.

My mistake. Apologies.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just received the Guns International newsletter (via e-mail) and there's an interesting Guns & Ammo article on the .35 Whelen. Odd that I'm considering that caliber for my next rifle and I receive this newsletter. Coincidence or is a higher power directing me towards the .35W?

http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/rifle-ammo/the-35-whelen-story/

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/28/16.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just accept that it is a higher power directing you to chose what is simply the finest North American big game cartridge to ever be developed. smile

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rost495
Me too. But bird in hand....thats what, about 450 with the rebore.....

Do my eyes deceive me or did rost495 just suggest someone get a Ruger? Someone check quick, I think hell might have just frozen over. grin

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by High_Noon

My mistake. Apologies.

No worries. Put her on ignore and enjoy life.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pgsalton
If it was me I think I'd want a flatter shooting caliber.

I live on Kodiak and I remember reading a Craig Boddington article about when he visited Kodiak to hunt deer with a 35 Whelen. It turned out that all the shot opportunities were too long for the caliber (country too wide open) so he ended up using the guide's 300 WM with 150g bullets to shoot his deer.

In a light rifle to get a flat shooting round you either need to go for less powder or a smaller caliber (less lead). Personally I use a 260 remington (both less powder and less lead!) and it seems to do great in a light weight rifle - and I feel good out to 400 yards. But clearly there are lots of options out there!

It just seems to me that a 35 whelen would a little limiting in terms of longer range stuff.

Patrick

Patrick, I really miss Kodiak and hunting there. Oddly, the only deer I killed with my Remington 7600 Whelen while I was there was at about 25 yards. It was down in a mostly dry Creek bed out near Saltery Cove. Blactails are't terribly wary in my experience. I was usually able to close the gap to 300 yards without any trouble. Sometimes the terrain doesn't cooperate though.

High Noon, good on you for being patient and polite through all this. The Whelen will serve you very well with premium bullets. Be patient. Stick to your choice. Something will come along. I will certainly keep an eye out and drop you a line if I find a good one. Get into reloading. It's a great way to kill time in the winter. I got into it in Kodiak and spent many an icy day at the bench.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 06/28/16.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

My mistake. Apologies.

No worries. Put her on ignore and enjoy life.

I thought you Alaskans had a little thicker bark.... Whinner..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
High Noon, good on you for being patient and polite through all this. The Whelen will serve you very well with premium bullets. Be patient. Stick to your choice. Something will come along. I will certainly keep an eye out and drop you a line if I find a good one. Get into reloading. It's a great way to kill time in the winter. I got into it in Kodiak and spent many an icy day at the bench.

Paul, Thanks very much and thanks for your offer to keep an eye out for me, very generous of you.

- Del Gue
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
High Noon, you shuda been watching the classified here.

just bought an FN actioned 35 Whelen with a fantastic figured stock for less than a very basic 700.

it was a great deal, wish it had been a 9.3x62 but too good to pass up.

you've been an excellent poster and I only have one question left. Why are you so hung up on the whelen when the 9.3 is superior by any measure ?

good luck !

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stlooiearch
High Noon, you shuda been watching the classified here.

just bought an FN actioned 35 Whelen with a fantastic figured stock for less than a very basic 700.

it was a great deal, wish it had been a 9.3x62 but too good to pass up.

you've been an excellent poster and I only have one question left. Why are you so hung up on the whelen when the 9.3 is superior by any measure ?

good luck !

Thanks & good suggestion. I will watch the classifieds.

I have already addressed your statement regarding the 'superiority' of the 9.3x62. But to answer your question in a different manner: I'm not 'hung-up' on the .35W, but I realize it may appear I am, based upon this thread. While I recognize that the .35W and the 9.3x62 are both excellent choices, and while I may have a preference for the .35W (for various reasons, already discussed), I will likely opt for the CZ550 Kevlar carbine in 9.3x62, unless I can find a deal on a used Mauser-based .35W (or a 9.3x62 for that matter) such as the one you found in the classifieds on this forum, and which has the features and characteristics I have mentioned in this thread. I've run the numbers on converting a FN (or SC) M70, and to get what I want is just too expensive for me at this point in my life. With the CZ, all I would need to do (all I would want to do) would be to change out the trigger for a Timney and slap on a Leupold VX6 1.5x6x24. I'd then have an easy to carry, fast to shoulder powerhouse suitable for Brown bear and lesser beasts. I have plenty of time to make my decision, so I will see what I can find in the coming months.

Please post photos of your new .35W, when you get a chance.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/29/16.

- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I live on Kodiak and I remember reading a Craig Boddington article about when he visited Kodiak to hunt deer with a 35 Whelen. It turned out that all the shot opportunities were too long for the caliber (country too wide open) so he ended up using the guide's 300 WM with 150g bullets to shoot his deer.

In a light rifle to get a flat shooting round you either need to go for less powder or a smaller caliber (less lead). Personally I use a 260 remington (both less powder and less lead!) and it seems to do great in a light weight rifle - and I feel good out to 400 yards. But clearly there are lots of options out there!

It just seems to me that a 35 whelen would a little limiting in terms of longer range stuff.

Patrick

Patrick, I really miss Kodiak and hunting there. Oddly, the only deer I killed with my Remington 7600 Whelen while I was there was at about 25 yards. It was down in a mostly dry Creek bed out near Saltery Cove. Blactails are't terribly wary in my experience. I was usually able to close the gap to 300 yards without any trouble. Sometimes the terrain doesn't cooperate though.

The whelen can push 225's 2700 and change. Sure something that pushes bullets over 3000 fps will shoot flatter, but you still need to deal with drop past 300 yds. And the thought of dealing with brown bears in the alders with 150 gr at warp speed isn't comforting.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
[And the thought of dealing with brown bears in the alders with 150 gr at warp speed isn't comforting.

Exactly. This is precisely why I'm considering the .35W & the 9.3x62.

- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Patrick

The whelen can push 225's 2700 and change. Sure something that pushes bullets over 3000 fps will shoot flatter, but you still need to deal with drop past 300 yds. And the thought of dealing with brown bears in the alders with 150 gr at warp speed isn't comforting.

And because of those alders any real bear defense rifle is going to have a very short tube, like 20". Those little bullets at real velocity would make some gawdawful noise...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
And because of those alders any real bear defense rifle is going to have a very short tube, like 20".

Which is another benefit of the CZ 550 Kevlar Carbine in 9.2x63, which has a 20.6" tube. I like the idea of running the 320 gr. Woodleigh Weldcores for bear defense with such as set up.

- Del Gue
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Buy and bring as many rifles in 30/06, 35 Whelen and 9.3X62 as you can. You will be able to sell them for a profit if you are here before hunting season. There is a dearth of really good used rifles up here because we buy and competitively go for the same rifles that folks bring up. There should be more big CRF rifles in gunshops and pawnshops in the L48 than up here.

That being said, I haven't seen as many 9.3X62 rifles as the other choices. Maybe they have a bunch down in SE Alaska but other than Bud Conkle and Bill Etchells. I taught with a shop teacher who had a 9.3X74 Drilling but I haven't seen or even heard of other hunters using the 9.3X62. But what do I know, they might be super popular in Anchorage.

I know that hunters from the L48 bring them up but they generally take them with them when they leave. I have personally seen more 505 Gibbs and 500 Jefferies rifles than the 9.3X62.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
And because of those alders any real bear defense rifle is going to have a very short tube, like 20".

Which is another benefit of the CZ 550 Kevlar Carbine in 9.2x63, which has a 20.6" tube. I like the idea of running the 320 gr. Woodleigh Weldcores for bear defense with such as set up.

I just looked that rifle up. Where's the like button on this thing?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Buy and bring as many rifles in 30/06, 35 Whelen and 9.3X62 as you can. You will be able to sell them for a profit if you are here before hunting season. There is a dearth of really good used rifles up here because we buy and competitively go for the same rifles that folks bring up. There should be more big CRF rifles in gunshops and pawnshops in the L48 than up here.

That being said, I haven't seen as many 9.3X62 rifles as the other choices. Maybe they have a bunch down in SE Alaska but other than Bud Conkle and Bill Etchells. I taught with a shop teacher who had a 9.3X74 Drilling but I haven't seen or even heard of other hunters using the 9.3X62. But what do I know, they might be super popular in Anchorage.

I know that hunters from the L48 bring them up but they generally take them with them when they leave. I have personally seen more 505 Gibbs and 500 Jefferies rifles than the 9.3X62.

kaboku: Great idea on bringing up a bunch of rifles. Unfortunately, I’m still a lowly grad student and cash poor at the moment.

I’m sure you are probably correct regarding the numbers of hunters using the 9.3x62 in AK. I imagine the caliber will only increase in popularity in the U.S., with American manufacturers (& Norma and Lapua) now offering factory loads in the U.S. No matter the latest and greatest super ultra magnum, short magnum or whiz-bang super-duper magnum, the old classic calibers just will not die, for the simple fact that they work and they work well. I’m no expert and have no direct experience with this caliber, but in my estimation, the 9.3x62 also falls into this classic category, while new-fangled calibers come and go.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just looked that rifle up. Where's the like button on this thing?

Paul: I’ve not seen a ‘like’ button on the forum, but maybe someone will chime in and tell us.

I too really like the CZ 550 Kevlar Carbine for the reasons I have listed. I just wish it was also available in .35 Whelen.

- Del Gue
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by rost495
Me too. But bird in hand....thats what, about 450 with the rebore.....

Do my eyes deceive me or did rost495 just suggest someone get a Ruger? Someone check quick, I think hell might have just frozen over. grin

I like cold weather more than I like the damn 100s here... LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 9 of 25 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10ring1, 1_deuce, 160user, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 67 invisible), 3,263 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,579
Posts18,532,222
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.