Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MagMarc
At least you had paper, we only had leaves cry laugh

Ingwe...is that you?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SKane
Being able to hunt the majority of places around home and out-of-state by simply asking permission. OTC tags or easier draws. Yeah, it sucked it back in the day. whistle

Yes. Fewer opportunities today. Way more draws. More land under lease or off limits.There was far more opportunity years back and it was more affordable as well in may parts of the West.

Here in New England I would say nothing has really changed. I can deer hunt about anywhere I please in Maine or NH. No problems with tags or access.

Other than underwear, I see no major differences. I had good gear and rifles then and have them now. Gear never broke a hunt on me.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Ingwe...is that you?

Ingwe started out with flint.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The past?

Getting to spend time with my Dad ONE more time.
Getting to listen to him and my uncles talk about times when they were growing up.
My Grandmother and her cinnamon rolls
Wearing enough clothes to keep a good-sized family warm.
Hearing the advice from my Dad to 'squeeze that trigger like a tit' one more time.

Just spending time with my Dad

Yeah, I'd take the 'good old days' over the crap now.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Ingwe...is that you?

Eventually used live pole cats, which explains why they smell to this day...

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Ingwe...is that you?

And fire appeared shortly there after.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Ingwe...is that you?

laugh

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yes, it was..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Hunting doesn't have much to do with stuff really and I have some modern stuff.I still wear wools,felt and much of our gear is still leather. I long for the wildness of the Rockies we used know,there are now roads into most drainages around here I predate atv's and still hunt horseback.No,it was much better 40 years ago,but we're not getting it back but at least I lived it.Cheers

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Never had a scope fog in the old days cuz all my deer guns had iron sights. Couldn't figure why anybody'd need a scope to shoot a great big critter like a deer.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Some of the items made then are missed, like the leather Thermos carriers, instead of that vinyl pretend-leather crap.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some of my most prized possessions.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Been there, done most of all this, did not care for the Tee shirt.

My father, born in 1917, who started out as a ranch hand when things were done in the traditional way, used to say, " I had enough of the good old days, back in the good old days."

He built Mom and himself a really nice house in the late sixties. He told the builder to delete the fireplace. When asked why, he responded that he had cut all the firewood that he ever intended to cut. I tend to agree. Gas logs in mine.

Nostalgic thread,,nice.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I wasn't around back in the real good 'ol days...just the transition days...turned old enough to hunt in 1992.

I do like a lot of the more advanced equipment that is available today, but am pretty old school with other things.

I hunt off foot or horseback-have an ATV and a dirt bike, but rarely use them for hunting
I wear wool (merino wool is nice, I must admit) and have no Sitka/Kuiu stuff
I hunt with lots of different rifles, but quite often revert back to original Savage 1899s, and old Springfield 1898 Krag, and most definitely prefer revolvers to autos.

On the flip side, I do dearly love my Havalon Piranha, McMilan Stocks and ultra high end optics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BTW, if you are still wiping your a$$ with toilet paper, let me introduce you to diaper wipes....

I'll let adult diaper wipes wait until I have to wear adult diapers. sick

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An 06 with a K4 and modified stock, two pair blue jean 4 buckle over shoes. Add packed lunch and warm water or whatever.
Walk to the half mile line and back to get you 5 roosters and two hens. Hunting at relatives and friends places.
The old men in the neighborhood would want to borrow your rifle with a scope or ask if you could hit that crow way out there (100+ yards) Hunting with friends and relatives (now all gone).

Yeh the good old days were good. My deer rifle now is prettier and has a more expensive scope. I have long underwear now too.

I'd be so happy to do those days again! No question about it!

Last edited by Bugger; 07/06/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Ingwe...is that you?

laugh

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

Heck Ingwe, since the rest of us weren't there to see that happen we will just have to take your word for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Technology advanced while society declined.

Oh well, can't go back.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The LongJohns are better now and are the Boots but still hunt with savage 1899s 303s & 22Hps wear wool, no Ill take the old days, very few No Hunting signs, you could Trust Folks, Hunted not sitting over Bait piles, If you did meet a Hunter in the woods He was a Hunter Not some Ahole with a Black Rifle! I have one also! but dont hunt with it!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
As a kid I used to have to look after the furnace in the winter. Haul coal from the corner of the cellar, feed the furnace, remove and dispose of ashes. Start over again. I can remember what an advancement I thought it was when we had oil heating installed. Set heat with a dial on the wall. Oh heaven!

Split kindling in the cellar, take it upstairs for my mother to use in starting a fire in the kitchen stove in the morning. Then there was the electric elements to cook on.

Getting up one morning and my mother telling me not to bother looking for the rabbit in the garden anymore. Dad had borrowed my .22 and shot him early that morning because he was starting to eat the lettuce in the garden. (Maybe not so much different today as a local cottontail or two eats the flowers off my wifes pansies on the back deck. Except it is in the city so I don't dare shoot them.)

Jim

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.