Hop To
Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I polish my feed ramp every morning.

And sometimes at lunch.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
No, but there are many examples out there of AKs that don't work, or break down quickly, and that's an excellent design for reliability when done right. Same for the 1911.
That just proves the AK is also a POFS!

Dave
It proves that most American companies make chitty AK's. You don't see Russian, Bulgarian, or Chinese AK's go down pretty much ever.
This.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Those Russians, Chinese, and Bulgarians know WTF they're doing.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They have to, or else they go to Siberia...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I bet that better than half of the 1911 haters on this forum would have attacked it with a dremel,

A cratex point, followed by a felt point & diamond paste, followed by Dyna Bore Coat, is your huckleberry

grin

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Gibby
Raise your hands.

Who has polished the feed ramps?

Throw your tools away. Get another hobby.

My RIA came with a butt ugly ramp. Not smooth at all. I bet that better than half of the 1911 haters on this forum would have attacked it with a dremel, and the majority of those would have rendered it nonfunctional. It still looks and is the same, and works just fine.

See a lot of those guns with shiny feed ramps in the use gun departments. All brands, not just 1911's. Like you said, my guess is, that is why they are there.

That feed ramp is part of the frame in standard 1911's.Dramatic modification, but one of the first thing some people do.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Polishing a feed ramp & the throat, chamber & barrel hood tang, given the correct felt bob & polishing compound, will not alter the geometry.

Using a grinding stone is quite another story.

Unless there is something dramatically wrong with the feed ramp and/or the barrel fit to the ramp, which is fairly rare, there is never a need to change the geometry.

And then it should surely be done by someone knowledgeable in how the fit should be; lots of bubba's in the gun owners world though.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
He also has a 7x57.... my guess he likes obsolete antiquities

He....IS....an obsolete antiquity.......(grin)

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have 8 1911s. All feed flawless ....some need some work especially the one in 40. Sw..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Polishing a feed ramp & the throat, chamber & barrel hood tang, given the correct felt bob & polishing compound, will not alter the geometry.

Unless there is something dramatically wrong with the feed ramp and/or the barrel fit to the ramp, which is fairly rare, there is never a need to change the geometry.

And then it should surely be done by someone knowledgeable in how the fit should be; lots of bubba's in the gun owners world though.

MM

One thing I noticed with my Sig 938 was the breech face had been bead blasted at the same time as the slide, as had the underside of the slide where it runs on the disconnector, and the top cartridge in the mag.

Not a true 1911, nevertheless it's an example of how "modern" sometimes unimproves proven designs smirk These surfaces must be smooth, or function will be sticky.

[Linked Image]

After I polished the affected surfaces, the little Sig ran fine, where it had been jamming.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

MM

I know you have an idea how many adults don't know jack about geometry. The concept of a (straight) line eludes many.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
I have 8 1911s. All feed flawless ....some need some work

Seems legit.

Dave

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I know you have an idea how many adults don't know jack about geometry. The concept of a (straight) line eludes many.

grin grin grin OUTSTANDING OBSERVATION!!! And unfortunately, very true.

In order to have a rational discussion, the participants need to have a common frame of reference and understanding of certain basic principles that govern the topic of discussion. It is painfully evident that requirement was not met on this thread.

The failings and short comings of the public school system continues to be evident everywhere you look.

Last edited by BobWills; 07/20/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hopefully the manufacture took care of the geometry.

....and don't forget Physics.

With auto's, it all about the timing of parts.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I am starting to think everyone should own at least one 1911. Kind of a know how to change a tire, oil change and spark plug thing.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by viking
I am starting to think everyone should own at least one 1911. Kind of a know how to change a tire, oil change and spark plug thing.

I love em Viking, only troubles I've had was buying a pofs hardballer back in the late 80's early 90's, then buying a custom Briley Colt that had titanium race gun parts inside, hit the slide release on a loaded mag and that sombitch went BOOM!

Took it to my 'Smith, had all Ed Brown parts loaded inside and sold it, don't know if I could have ever trusted that gun again.

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

MM

MM, anybody stupid enough to take a grinding stone to a 1911 feed ramp shouldn't own a 1911.. or any other gun for that matter.

I do not profess to be a gunsmith by any stretch of the word. However, I do learn some neat tricks from those that do have the complete right to own that title.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt

MM, anybody stupid enough to take a grinding stone to a 1911 feed ramp shouldn't own a 1911.. or any other gun for that matter.

Trust me, they are around..........some try to "improve" the barrel throat & in doing so, screw that up, so then they think they need to "fix" the feed ramp because the barrel doesn't fit it correctly anymore.

As I said, lots of bubba's..........

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

One thing I noticed with my Sig 938 was the breech face had been bead blasted at the same time as the slide, as had the underside of the slide where it runs on the disconnector, and the top cartridge in the mag.

Not a true 1911, nevertheless it's an example of how "modern" sometimes unimproves proven designs smirk These surfaces must be smooth, or function will be sticky.

After I polished the affected surfaces, the little Sig ran fine, where it had been jamming.

Yes, the breech face, & the bottom of the slide, should be smooth on any semi-auto..........that's the kind of detail that gets missed on lots of various factory guns from many manufacturers occasionally.

I don't recall seeing one bead blasted before though.

MM

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Here is a good piece by John L . Marshall . He likes to be called Mr. Marshall.

At the risk of some using this info to destroy their guns, I think it is good info for the responsible members here at the fire.

http://www.sightm1911.com/?s=reliability

Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 36 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,048
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.