Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 25 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Here's the link for .270 Winchester RL-26 load data. FYI,in the pictured .270 it uses one grain less powder than the max for almost the same speed.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...;type=1&powderid=40&cartridge=63

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Ken, and another nice Mauser! The Federal Premium 150 gr. NP runs about 2,800 - 2,850 FPS. Not a huge difference, but I always thought 3K FPS for 150s would be great since the 130s typically exceed that velocity, if only slightly.

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/12/16.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you are getting maximum velocity through a shorter barrel you are simply getting more pressure than you should be. Velocity is far from the primary goal in reloading...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
If you are getting maximum velocity through a shorter barrel you are simply getting more pressure than you should be. Velocity is far from the primary goal in reloading...

Good point and duly noted.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see StBlewie got commingled with Oldman1942...

Once again he is gone for a while...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Good times for all...
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,gone for a while. Like diarrhea it will be back.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Good point and duly noted.

I'll take 100 fps if i can get it safely. There are ways to get there too sometimes. Can be a combo of throat, type of rifling, bullet coatings and powder choices.

That said I don't look for it on hunting rounds... 100 fps won't make enough difference to worry about to normal distances.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Safe is a funny word...

To state it again, if you are going faster than the books say you can, you have excess pressure. I realize the books say 3k is there... with a 24" barrel... running up against the edge constantly with no available pressure signs or verifiers is not a good plan.

My father always ran stuff as hot as he could, believing in seeing "the signs" as good enough. Sticky bolts and cracked lugs were not uncommon... and for absolutely no gain.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The max velocity is 3022,I'm getting 3000 with a 22" barrel. Deduct 25 fps per inch. 3022-50= 2972 fps is what you get. Now 3000-2972=28 the difference is 28 fps.

How is that going to cause sticky bolts and cracked lugs?

3000-2850=150 fps seems to me that a 150 fps more with a 150 gr NP is a pretty good gain.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Safe is a funny word...

To state it again, if you are going faster than the books say you can, you have excess pressure. I realize the books say 3k is there... with a 24" barrel... running up against the edge constantly with no available pressure signs or verifiers is not a good plan.

My father always ran stuff as hot as he could, believing in seeing "the signs" as good enough. Sticky bolts and cracked lugs were not uncommon... and for absolutely no gain.

I disagree, having had pressure tests run on some of my loads There are lots of variables out there.

I"ll just leave it at that.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you like to hot rod you can push a 35 Whelen very close to a .338 Win Mag.
I like a 225 gr bullet at 2,700.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Safe is a funny word...

I disagree, having had pressure tests run on some of my loads There are lots of variables out there.

I"ll just leave it at that.

I understand those variables a bit and also understand exactly how few here are likely to run those tests...

For some it is not particularly unsafe, but as general practice it is not something to be encouraging a not-even-newbie reloader on...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Art you are very true there. I generally give more credit to folks thinking abilities than I should...

For folks not willing to do the research etc... and running normal everything I say you are on the money.

Regardless for a hunting round 100 fps does nothing.

In target shooting where a fraction of an inch means winning or loosing, it matters some... my personal rule of thumb was I had to be able to gain 100 FPS or close to it, or gain at least .050 in BC for it to be worth messing with generally speaking. Realizing I"m talking 300-1000 yards and nothing shorter that ever mattered.... and 300 rarely did... most of the matter things started at 500 and out..

Jeff

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lacking the ability for actual pressure testing, I just slum along according to the chronometer.

If you'll bring that .270 up to Quemado, elkhntr, I'll be sure to test it extensively for you. Over the next couple of years ... smile

You've got a 460 Weatherby, so I don't understand why you need another rifle anyway.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Lacking the ability for actual pressure testing, I just slum along according to the chronometer.

If you'll bring that .270 up to Quemado, elkhntr, I'll be sure to test it extensively for you. Over the next couple of years ... smile

You've got a 460 Weatherby, so I don't understand why you need another rifle anyway.

grin I'm sure you would! grin

The .460 is my varmint rifle. whistle

[Linked Image]

Not going to make it to Quemado this year. Work got in the way. frown

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Does anyone know what the situation will be at Armijo Springs on Sunday? I can't get out there with my daughter until Saturday afternoon and I was wondering if we stay through Sunday, will there be much going on or will everything be winding down beginning Sunday morning?

No one has replied to my inquiry on the Armijo Spgs thread.

I'm trying to determine if it's worth the drive for just half of Saturday and just one night. I could potentially stay Sunday night, but it doesn't sound like anyone will be left by then.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Regarding .270 velocity for 150s, I don't have the reloading experience to make an informed comment. All I know is what I have read and my thinking was that if Winchester originally designed 130s with a velocity of 3,140 and later reduced the velocity to 3,060 fps, a target velocity of 3,000 fps for 150s would probably be ok (but I could definitely be mistaken). I can certainly see how 3,000 fps for 150s would increase pressures, though.

- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Sunday is when it all winds down. Most will be packing up leaving for home,others will stay till Monday and then leave. Sunday morning it's usually buy,sell,and trade day.

You can shoot some of the rifles,handguns and shotguns if you ask the owner.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Ken.

- Del Gue
Page 22 of 25 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1beaver_shooter, 257Ackley, 22magnut, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 56 invisible), 2,936 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,603
Posts18,532,605
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.