Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Augie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Picked this one up this morning, pre 64 Model 70 in 220 Swift, no safe queen, has been well used but not abused.
Some finish loss, no major gouges, checkering still fairly sharp, the wood has pretty nice grain with light tiger striping almost the whole length.
Metal is decent, wear at carry points, barrel is a matte finish which I think is correct for this vintage.
Main concern is the bore, clean and shines but may be pretty worn, will have to see how it shoots.
Came with 5 boxes ammo, vintage Boyt sling and a Weaver K6 which is nice and clear.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/jorau/IMG_5706_zpsnruyaa8a.jpg[/img]

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very cool old rifle. Thanks for sharing..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Throat erosion is frequently an issue with the Swift....

That's a stainless steel barrel....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
A
Augie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Throat erosion is frequently an issue with the Swift....

Yes, I knew that and it does have me concerned but I figured I could part it out for the 700 I got in it if I had to.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Shoot it and let us know how it does. That old scope looks great on that rifle. Looks like it's been on there for a while. My 270 fwt had one (except a K4) just like it, when I bought it. The original owner told me it had been on there for a loooooong time...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nice old Model 70. It sounds like you bought it right!

And yes, as Poconojack pointed out, they did come with stainless steel barrels which give them a matte finish look.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
A
Augie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks all, got to looking at it a little closer and I may have been overly critical of the bore, the problem is it shines so much that any strong light blinds to the point you can't make out the rifling, using a subdued light I can see good sharp rifling. The proof will be in the shooting.
The Weaver had a little surprise, I could not get the turret caps off with my fingers, they are o-ring sealed, when I got them off I found finger adjustable turrets, I dislike coin slot turrets.
Hope to get it out to the range Tuesday and see what it will do.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
SWEET rifle, congratulations, I hope it has plenty of throat left for many years of enjoyment.

Trump Won!
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm done buying M70s, but I'd buy that one! Mucho nice.
Bob

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Some throat erosion does not mean that's it's no longer accurate. You got a great deal. I would keep it exactly as is.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RGK
I'm done buying M70s, but I'd buy that one! Mucho nice.
Bob

Never say never.. laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice rifle!

The condition it's in is about right to go ahead and use without trepidation, and rifles are for using...I'd have a hard time justifying NOT buying it.

I have a 1960 or '61 M70 in .264 and it shoots well. I don't want to know what the throat looks like.
sleep

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Nice rifle!

The condition it's in is about right to go ahead and use without trepidation, and rifles are for using...I'd have a hard time justifying NOT buying it.

I have a 1960 or '61 M70 in .264 and it shoots well. I don't want to know what the throat looks like.
sleep

Sometimes it's better to not know. I've had some where I couldn't even find the lands when trying to establish an OAL. I just load them long and they still shoot good... laugh

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a mint 6X Lyman All-American that would look perfect on that M70. Love the dark stock...
Bob

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RGK
I have a mint 6X Lyman All-American that would look perfect on that M70. Love the dark stock...
Bob

I think the weaver k6 looks great on there. I actually went back to my old Weaver K4 on my 270 fwt. I might even hunt it that way.... Might... Maybe... laugh

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

I think the weaver k6 looks great on there. I actually went back to my old Weaver K4 on my 270 fwt. I might even hunt it that way.... Might... Maybe... laugh

I've always been a Lyman freak...grew up in CT, just a short distance from the old Lyman factory. I still have several minty Lymans ready to mount on rifles I'll probably never buy.
Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a place for a 6x All-American, should you ever want to sell it.
Would look great on my '37 Gov't 06.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

I've always been a Lyman freak...grew up in CT, just a short distance from the old Lyman factory. I still have several minty Lymans ready to mount on rifles I'll probably never buy.
Bob

Those Lyman's are nice looking scopes and do look great on pre 64 model 70's. That all American would be bad azzed and retro on an old rifle...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
How long is the barrel?

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Vintage, period correct scopes may be great if one only plans to look at a rifle, but they leave a lot to be desired in the field. Have had two old Weaver's fog up when hunting in the rain and snow, two valuable days lost and I will no longer take a chance with 50 or 60 year old optics, ymmv....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.