Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
I contend that the only choice would be a 30-06 bolt action with a 2-1/2--8 variable powered scope and backup iron sights.

Unless, of course, a lot of varmint hunting were contemplated. In that case, it would be a .270.

We don't hear much talk about the so-called "all-around rifle" any more because, as JB has pointed out, nowadays we have more money and can afford rifles for different purposes. While having one rifle might dictate a 30-06, many who have several don't need a 30-06 or a .270.

And if you could only use one bullet in your 30-06? I would pick the 180 grain Nosler Partition, again not considering varmints.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

For what I hunt I would have to make a decision between a .243 Win and a .260 Rem.

If I had to pick one bullet it would probably be the 80 TTSX in 6mm and the 129 Hornady PSP in the 6.5mm.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington 700 bdl in 7mm Rem. Mag. I think that would cover all my bases but if I ever get to do Brown bears I may wish for more.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I agree with your scope and iron sight choice, but after watching the performance of a .338 Win. Mag. for over 25 years, it would be my pick. And now,with improved powders and bullets, it's better than ever. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It would have to be a Rigby magazine rifle in .275

duh.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Well, only one rifle would have to cover a host of needs, that being the question, mine would have to be my:

LWRC-REPR in 7.62/308
2.5-10 Nightforce compact in QD rings w/IHR illum reticle
Burris fast fire in a DD 1 O'Clock offset mount
Mag-Pul flip ups
Bullet for all recipients, vehicular, two or four legged would be the 150 gr TTSX.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't even own a 30-06 at the moment, but yeah, that's what I'd pick. My varminting these days pretty much consists of opportunistic shots at coyotes, hogs, and the occasional crow that hangs around and tempts me too long. So not too many rounds a year at really little critters. More at steel targets. I'd look first at the 175LRX/Hunter combo at about 2,800fps for hunting and then find a cheaper alternate bullet that jives with that trajectory for practice.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my part of the world---and I am NOT a travelling hunter, a .30-06 would be more than sufficient but certainly not a mistake. Actually I think anything .257" and up based on the '06 case would do, all the way up to .35 Whelen. I could get by on a .25-06, but I have an attachment to the .280 Remington that just won't quit and that's probably what I'd choose assuming that components would always be available.

If component AND ammo availability were to become a problem, I'd probably opt for .308 Winchester with a bit of reluctance...but I'm sure I'd get by.

If I could only have one rifle but it was guaranteed that components would never be an issue I'd be tempted by .264 Win Mag also. There's just nothing in Texas it can't handle.

I would sure hate to have to make the choice.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a writer, but my opinion tells me that there is nothing I'm gonna hunt that couldn't be taken quite well with my 7mm-08 (with elk being the largest) with a proper bullet for the occasion. A 308 would be a very close second.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A bolt action chambered in 7x57, aka 275.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
.25 caliber NULA's.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A Mossberg bolt action in .270 Win with a Sportsman's Guide brand 4X fixed power scope.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Winchester M 70 Featherweight .30/06,Leupold 6x36mm,using 180 gr NP's. Not much I cannot hunt here or the world with that setup.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 07/16/16.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I contend that the only choice would be a 30-06 bolt action with a 2-1/2--8 variable powered scope and backup iron sights.

I'd do this but in 308 Win. No practical field difference, but the 308 is miserly on powder and kicks less.

But I did build something about identical to your ideal some years back:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What a depressing scenario to contemplate.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

We don't hear much talk about the so-called "all-around rifle" any more because, as JB has pointed out, nowadays we have more money and can afford rifles for different purposes. While having one rifle might dictate a 30-06, many who have several don't need a 30-06 or a .270.

Yes and personally I think the high degree of specialization isn't for everyone. It may help in some circumstances but handicap you severely in another.

Of course if you stay at home and hunt one micro-environmental niche every year,specialization may be the best answer.You know what to expect.

The 30/06 and 270 are traditional all rounders but truth is there are a bunch of them out there today. A lot of water has passed under the cartridge bridge since those two came out. With todays bullets there are lots of "all round " choices.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep. And I would rate the "platform" as more important than the cartridge, especially if planning to hunt in a lot of different terrain and weather.

I have a custom 7mm Remington Magnum made on a 1909 Argentine action, with the original military trigger converted to a nice single-stage pull. The stock is made of fancy walnut, but with a lightweight synthetic stock, a front sight and a detachable aperture sight to fit the rear base of detachable scope mounts, it would definitely serve.

Then again, if I was going to do much more hunting of really big game (which I probably won't) either my very similar .338 on an FN Mauser action or my Mark X .375 H&H (which already has back-up irons) would also do.

A lot of it depends on what you plan to hunt. An all-around varmint/deer rifle isn't complicated. One centerfire for every kind of hunting on earth involves more compromises.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

Here are my one rifle lists.

Texas: Kimber Montana in .223 shooting 64-grain Nosler BSBs

US: either custom FN .270 in Bansner stock or Remington 700 KS .280 either shooting 150 Partitions.

World: Kimber Talkeetna .375 shooting 270 TSXs

No Irons needed that's what extra scopes are for.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since i own about thirty center fires I don't need another rifle to badly. But if I were to buy one,.. It would probably be a 35 Whelen and I wouldn't sell any either.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
John I was going to address the "platform" issue but got lazy..... smile You make a good point.

That 7 RM with a #4 28" or bigger barrel and tactical LR type stock may be just the ticket for reaching to 1000 yards on elk and mule deer but a disaster in the lodgepole....assuming you want to carry up the mountain in the first place. cry

But the same cartridge in a 24" barrel, and a rifle /scope combo weighing 7-8.5 pounds will get you by in most places.

This will cut a big swath to reasonable distances in the open without breaking you down...I wouldn't worry at all about anything moose sized and smaller with it.

I'd like a 375 for brown bear but not sure it matters. The 375 is unique though.....another class of "all rounder". Worth having.

One for everything is fine but will vary depending on what your "everything" is..

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/17/16.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Lipseys Limited Run Ruger RSI Hawkeye S.S. 30-06
replaced front sight with larger 3/32 white bead.
Had our own Hired Gun to Cerakote and Micro Slick it.
Then got a Leupold FX-II 3x20 Big Bore scope that I
SENT to Leupold for Heavy Duplex Reticle.
It will do....
AMRA

Molan Labe
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I'd like a 375 for brown bear but not sure it matters. The 375 is unique though.....another class of "all rounder". Worth having.

Yeah. I wouldn't have thought that until fairly recently. Provided you handload for it, a .375 can be a VERY versatile rifle. Or a 9.3X64, for that matter.

I may have to rethink my earlier vote for a Mossberg 270...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or a 9.3x62, for that matter--with brass and ammo a LOT more available that 9.3x64.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
8x57is VZ-24 in a Micky with a good 4x scope 2 position swing safety and a DT Mk.II trigger....200gr2600fps will do anything I need done.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My T/C Encore works. A 24" 7mm.08 and a 24" .45-70 both with open sights. A simple 4x on the 7mm-08 as well.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Or a 9.3x62, for that matter--with brass and ammo a LOT more available that 9.3x64.

Smartazz.

A guy tries to type 9.3X62 while thinking 9.3X74R and look what it gets him. Sheesh.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I love how this thread started out common and then went totally snowflake.

I can only answer the question if I get a decent selection of handguns and smoothbores to go with it. But even then, when you try to come up with something that will get you by on anything, it ends up being far less than optimal on most things. The right tool for the job and all...

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My 6.5x55 would do it all

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
My 6.5x55 would do it all

Same for me.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If forced to pick 1 rifle considering all scenarios I'd lean towards a 7.62 NATO and second choice a 30-06. Both will kill anything needing killing with accurate bullet placement but the 308 is easier on powder reloading wise and easier on the shoulder shooting wise.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
338 win mag or 375 H/H.

I might fudge that a bit with some outside of the box thinking RE pistol bullets and reduced loads but in that general max power range.

Nice good square front sight, good rear aperture sight.

Back up scope sight, actually would have 2 scopes just in case... not sure which scope though, something really good for just one rifle in life. Schmidt/Bender comes to mind... maybe then with a conquest for backup.

SS barrel, hoping I never had to use it on muskox. Well, hmm, lets just go match grade CM then, but UBC treated after salt bath nitrided.

Good Mc stock. Nice soft pad, decel type thick.

06 would work most places though, that has to be said, but I'd likely drop back to 308 if I was not dealing with big bears/moose and the like...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FN Mauser for almost any standard round from .270-.30/06.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
For the worlds big game this....
[Linked Image]

Winchester M 70 .375 H&H. The only change would be a Leupold 1-4x on it instead of the Weaver 3x. Although the 3x would do for most big game hunting.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
I agree with your scope and iron sight choice, but after watching the performance of a .338 Win. Mag. for over 25 years, it would be my pick. And now,with improved powders and bullets, it's better than ever. memtb

I agree. I can use mine for everything:

[Linked Image]

A close second would be my 30-06 though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Interesting so far, I don't think anyone has picked a caliber newer than 60 years old and, except for the 104-year old .375 H&H, I believe only one poster has picked a "magnum."

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting so far, I don't think anyone has picked a caliber newer than 60 years old and, except for the 104-year old .375 H&H, I believe only one poster has picked a "magnum."

The odd thing about that one poster who picked a magnum is I've never hunted big game a day in my life with a magnum. Even though I've owned them in the past.Why I chose one in this thread over the 30-06 I can't say other than I'm just quirky today.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Since this is fantasyland and we're waxing nostalgic, I could live with this one, considering what I've been hunting lately and what I intend to hunt.
Bob

Ruger 77 .30-06 rebarreled (24" factory contour) with some custom touches. No back-up iron sights, but I have lots of spare scopes.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 07/17/16.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A light weight ,say 7.5 or less lb. 7mm mag would serve me well for everything. Elk being the top priority. I have a .300 win Tikka now but it would be a bit much for antelope and such with a lot of prone shooting. 6x scope and forearm stiff enough for bipod use.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

The 375 H&H would definitely work. However, it's overkill for most things. The 338 probably is too, but I wouldn't consider it a non "magnum"... It's one of my favorite cartridges and works well...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
IMHO....

270 MT(140 AB's), 6x36 LR
(or a heavier contoured barrel and lose the bipod)

[Linked Image]

Pretty much anything 243-270 would be fine for me.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
A .223 chambered Howa.

Maybe an AR.

I'd have to flip a coin.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If I could only have one? Forever, for everything?

A 16", fast twisted, flat top AR15, without a doubt...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Varmint hunter...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
After watching hunters kill Brown Bears in Russia with a SKS in 7.62X39. I would say a 30/30 could probably kill everything on planet earth if you put the bullet in the right place.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Varmint hunter...

Mehh...sometimes. If I am stuck with one rifle for every occasion, I would much rather have an effective fighting rifle that can kill anything on the continent (albeit not ideally) than a hunting rifle.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
270 would work for me. 90 gr HPs for groundhogs and up to 160 Partitions for everything else.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Huntz
After watching hunters kill Brown Bears in Russia with a SKS in 7.62X39. I would say a 30/30 could probably kill everything on planet earth if you put the bullet in the right place.

Yeah great....but would you really want to?

I'd quit hunting first.... grin

Who'd hunt the world with that? confused

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Varmint hunter...

Mehh...sometimes. If I am stuck with one rifle for every occasion, I would much rather have an effective fighting rifle that can kill anything on the continent (albeit not ideally) than a hunting rifle.

That's where I'm at liliysdad, the OP did say ONE rifle. smile

Trump Won!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Thats how I took it...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Unless, of course, a lot of varmint hunting were contemplated. In that case, it would be a .270.

And if you could only use one bullet in your 30-06? I would pick the 180 grain Nosler Partition, again not considering varmints.

Either a M70 Classic stainless or Ruger Mark II stainless, aftermarket stock, iron sights, a 1.5-6x42 with additional 2.2-10x42 or 50mm and 1.1-4x24 or 1-6x24 (or 1.7-10x 42 and 1-6x24) in 338 Win Mag.

I would have more indecision on the scopes than the rifle or cartridge. I would definitely want a higher and low powered scopes though. For my hunting a moderate velocity .308 -.338 would work fine. No hesitation on the 338 Win mag with 225 TSX and/or TTSX.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I wouldn't want to. And I've taken a moose with the 30-30.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For what I hunt and look to shoot, I am liking one of my 8 twist Swifts topped with a 3.5-10 Leupold....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

A .223 would certainly insure that .22-250 ammo wouldn't chamber on an elk hunt.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
ouch......

laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The question was: "If you could buy one center fire rifle?" not if you could only have one rifle.

I have the bases covered so I would want something I don't have.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Is "buying only one center fire rifle" a new Democrat platform item?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the US, my Browning Safari Grade in 3006 topped with a Leupold 2.5X8X36 B&C reticle.

World: Model 70 375 H&H Swaro PH 1.75X6X42

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I am just saying that you do not need a 500 Mangler to kill animals.My cousin married Inuit.Their big gun is 223 which they seem to kill a moose with every year.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Old Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 , Leupold VarX 3-9x40 , backup iron sights big green put on the rifle.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
280 Remington with 150 gr Accubond

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hotload
Old Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 , Leupold VarX 3-9x40 , backup iron sights big green put on the rifle.

I could get along very nicely with one of those myself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm finally down to a 223 & 7RM. Also have a hand me down 270 tucked away that I can't part with. Factory ammo from here on out and somehow I found time and money I didn't realize I had for other cool schit.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The 375 H&H would definitely work. However, it's overkill for most things. The 338 probably is too, but I wouldn't consider it a non "magnum"... It's one of my favorite cartridges and works well...

No one said you had to fill the gas tank to full everytime...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
A .30-06 in a Mauser action, double-set triggers, Lyman 48 rear sight and sourdough front sight, and a Griffin&Howe QD scope mount w/1½-5x premium scope as backup. Stock and barrel whittled down to make for 8 pounds all-up. Enough gun for Alaska? Probably, according to a lot of guys with more experience than me. Enough gun for Africa? Who cares, I'm never going there anyway.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/18/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
For the worlds big game this....
[Linked Image]

I'd say a 250 or 350 would work just fine! (F, that is) whistle

grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Smart azz! laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Smart azz! laugh

laugh laugh

Tell me I'm wrong! smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jwall
Smart azz! laugh

laugh laugh

Tell me I'm wrong! smile

Jerry

You're wrong! laugh

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28

I don't think Nosler makes a 150 gr Accubond in 7mm. They do make 140 and 160 AB's and I use the 140's in my .280 Rem. The 150 gr BT seems pretty stout though, and would work for most things.

I see Nosler does make a 150 gr long range accubond. I've heard they're a bit soft at closer ranges but I have no personal experience with them.

Last edited by bowmanh; 07/18/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is sort of silly, but only one rifle. It would be a long action Remington BDL switch barrel. The barrels would include all calibers between22-250 and 400 Whelen.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm more of a bird hunter than a big game hunter. If I could have only one center fire rifle I'd take an AR in 5.56 mm. I can hunt deer and varmints with it, shoot 3 gun matches, protect the house, it's verstile, fun and cheap to shoot

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
Originally Posted by jwall
Smart azz! laugh

laugh laugh

Tell me I'm wrong! smile

Jerry

You're really really wrong! laugh
Better. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
30-06 w/ 165 grain Accubonds or Partitions in a Remington 700 or Winchester M70(only if it's push fed).

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If it had truly come down to being allowed only one rifle, then I assume something else has gone wrong as well.

So, an AR 15 would probably be useful.

If we are talking just normal hunting scenarios, I would consider 30-06, 338, or 375 in a solid bolt action. For me, it would be the 30-06. Most likely in a Winchester or Ruger.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've already got the "one" My Model 70 Featherweight in 7 X 57. Mine wears a Leupold VXIII 2.5 X 8. It will do anything I need to do and would be the last rifle I would ever get rid of

My second choice would be my Remington 700 Classic in .264 Win Mag.
It has an old Leupold VXII 4 X 12 mounted on it.

Like most here on the Fire, I've probably got way too many rifles. But if I had to sell all of them and just choose one, I wouldn't have any problem going with either one of the above.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This one rifle business is mostly an intellectual circle jerk(I assume we're talking one rifle for BG hunting....not competition,banging gongs,shooting three shot groups at 100 yards, repelling the next zombie invasion etc.).

I don't know, nor have I ever met, any serious BG hunters who only own one BG rifle. Most of them are more experienced or smarter than that.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,minimum 6 to start with.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This one rifle business is mostly an intellectual circle jerk(I assume we're talking one rifle for BG hunting....not competition,banging gongs,shooting three shot groups at 100 yards, repelling the next zombie invasion etc.).

I don't know, nor have I ever met, any serious BG hunters who only own one BG rifle. Most of them are more experienced or smarter than that.

Oh Bob, haven't you ever heard the old saying, "Watch out for the guy that owns one gun". The rest of us are too stupid to figure out how to use multiple rifles... whistle.. It's just too damn complicated.. crazy

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm leaning an a pair of 7x57 Model 70 BACO Supergrades, a Montana .270 WCF and soon will be torture testing a Browning X Bolt in 375 H&H.
But waaaaay in the back of the safe is a 300Win Mag. but I forget the model............

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If it had truly come down to being allowed only one rifle, then I assume something else has gone wrong as well.

So, an AR 15 would probably be useful.

If we are talking just normal hunting scenarios, I would consider 30-06, 338, or 375 in a solid bolt action. For me, it would be the 30-06. Most likely in a Winchester or Ruger.

It's hard to not pick a 30-06 for an "all arounder". It can do damn near anything. Not real classy, not real fast, not a lot of cool factor, but it damn sure gets the job done with boring regularity.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
IMHO....

270 MT(140 AB's), 6x36 LR
(or a heavier contoured barrel and lose the bipod)

[Linked Image]

Pretty much anything 243-270 would be fine for me.

I like the way you think, as gay as that sounds. You're probably used to that though being the 270 shooter you are... If I ever come out of the closet, I plan on using this rifle:

[Linked Image] laugh

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by moosemike

I wouldn't want to. And I've taken a moose with the 30-30.

No problem with either. Carried 30-30 where the grizz roam for years in AK... never felt the need to say I was not safe. Could and did carry bigger at times, and do currently, but nothing huge...

SKS are some great rifles, generally a better choice than an AK, a decent round power wise, and with good bullets and accuracy, you can do a LOT with the round.

Hell I kill stuff out to 200 all the time with a 300/221 subsonic 194s.... only running around 1000 fps...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
98 Mauser chambered in 6.5x55

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Granzel Fitz?

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

My exact and one of my favorite setups -- exactly save the iron b/u sights

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have that rifle.

Left hand stainless Model 70 .30-06 in a McMillan Remington BDL pattern stock (McMillan won't do that inletting any more) wearing an older but dependable Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36 in Talley one piece mounts.

For many years my only "big game" rifle was a LH Model 700 .30-06 with either a Leupold 4X or 3-9X40 scope in first Weaver and later Leupold mounts. Had a 10 year run of one shot kills on deer and elk with that rifle using standard Hornady 165 and 180 grain Interlocks, not to mention a slew of jackrabbits that blowed up real good with Sierra 125 Spitzers.

If I got in the way back machine and had to do it over again, I'd probably just stick with the LH Model 700 .30-06 in factory form. I'd run a couple screws through the bolt handle and maybe swap the trigger for a Timney but that's all I'd do to it. Would probably go with a fixed Leupold 6X in good ol' Weaver mounts as well until Talley started making their one piece bases, then switch to those.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
375 Ruger Guide Gun. Alaskan Arms quick detach low rings with a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm duplex. Shooting a Nosler 300gr. Accubond traveling 2590fps out of a 20" barrel. If I need a sledge hammer will shoot a Woodleigh 350gr. PP traveling at 2391fps.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If for what ever reason I was limited to one centerfire rifle, it would likely be this Husqvarna in 30/06. It has the versatility to handle just about any situation I might find my self in where I need a rifle, it shoots very well, carries like a dream and I just like the way it looks.

[Linked Image]

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice Husky.....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Granzel Fitz?

I didn't know Grantzel Fitz.... smile

And I am not sure he ever hunted Africa/Asia etc.

Im talking about guys in real time, today and over the course of the years that I've been involved in hunting and shooting.....I can't think of a single guy who hunted extensively and relied on one cartridge and rifle for everything.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bob, you were right the first time. Its mental masturbation. Which is why I went right to the Rigby.....as long as you're fantasizing it might as well be Elle McPherson as Rosie Odonnell!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mathsr
If for what ever reason I was limited to one centerfire rifle, it would likely be this Husqvarna in 30/06. It has the versatility to handle just about any situation I might find my self in where I need a rifle, it shoots very well, carries like a dream and I just like the way it looks.

[Linked Image]

That's a beauty, I'd vote for that one..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Bob, you were right the first time. Its mental masturbation. Which is why I went right to the Rigby.....as long as you're fantasizing it might as well be Elle McPherson as Rosie Odonnell!

Ingwe can't argue with that choice. i almost bought one yesterday but got slow on the draw. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I seriously wonder if these kinds of threads are IQ tests. Who even ponders such absurdities? laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not many real "all around" hunters. smile On this continent likely you guys i Alaska or Canada qualify because you have bigger animals,some are gnarly.

If I were younger, traveled the world for BG animals on a few continents and never knew what I was going to encounter, my light rifle would probably be a 300 magnum of some sort.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I believe that for what I do and what I want to do, I could get along nicely with my Sako AII in 308.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lack of Tikka fans?
Though if the question is:

If I could only buy one MORE rifle smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always found these type questions/post interesting as I get to see some insight on what people would chose.

"Joe average" I would think most likely hunts deer and perhaps hogs now days (dependent on his location)as their big game. More than likely, he's not a hand loader nor likely to travel to hunt different states for different big game.

From working at big box gun store for about a year while under employed, they're looking to buy the cheapest rifles they can find, eg Savage Axis, etc. but have several of these cheap(er) deer rifle. They'll buy the cheapest ammo they can find, usually Rem Core-lockts or Win power points but only when they're on sale right before hunting season. One box usually last them a few years.

Compared to most here on the 'Campfire, where I consider most here to rifle & firearm loonies on the opposite end of the spectrum. Meant in good way smile

It's interesting to see their difference and opinions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could be. Or it could be that some have a better grasp on diminishing returns than others. Or that lots of other things matter more than the choice of rifle. A fella with 20 rifles can justify everyone of them, just as the fella that only has one could.

The take away from 95% of the threads is that if you put a bunch of dicks in a room, they'll argue over anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hotload

I could get along very nicely with one of those myself.

Sometimes you just get lucky cool Over 30+ years the accuracy of my Rem 700 has always been top drawer.
I've never had any trouble with the rifle. Many men on the 24CF say the older Remington 700s are better
than the new ones. Maybe so.

Last edited by Hotload; 07/19/16.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the 70's and 80's even up into the 90's the Remington 700 had a reputation as the most accurate out of the box factory rifle available (domestic). I forget which gun writer said this but his remark was that Remington made the best factory barrels in the business.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Either a model 70 or 700 SS in dirty ought six.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
A stainless m70 classic FW in 30.06, drop it in an EDGE and top with a 6x36 with dotz. There isn't much I wouldn't hunt with that.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
While not the only choice, it is the one I made.

Add to the description; Winchester Model 70 SS Classic FW in a synthetic stock, with a removable NECG peep sight and a spare 4x scope and you are where I choose to be.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Buying one CF at a time is the obvious way to deal with this hypothetical.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
years ago my wife bought me the only rifle I would ever "need"; Ruger #1 in 7 mag. Put on a Redfield 2-7 as that suits my style. There are lots more that I want and have obtained. A bud has a Browning hiwall in 30-06. It is hard to fault that, except maybe the long barrel in certain brush situations. I have to admit that when I had only the one rifle I could hit what I wanted at any reasonable range. What I really want is at least one of each caliber and style rifle, but I can't carry them all.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I seriously wonder if these kinds of threads are IQ tests. Who even ponders such absurdities? laugh

IQ tests are a lot about patterns. How's this for a pattern?:

270 FWT:
[Linked Image]

30-06 FWT:
[Linked Image]

338 Win mag:
[Linked Image]

375 H&H magnum:
[Linked Image]

My only problem with this type of thread, is deciding which one I'm going to say I would pick.......this time... whistle

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
This Springfield 30/06 with 2.5-8X scope fits the bill pretty well.
[Linked Image]
This Ruger 308 will do just as well in a little lighter package.
[Linked Image]

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My P64 338 Win Mag....

[Linked Image]

Nothing much else I'd need or want for anything, anywhere.

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My 700 Classic 35 Whelen is the only rifle that never needed to be glass bedded. Just a slight trigger adjustment and I can hunt anything except African Big Five. I think it would work on lion.
It can work on varmints by shooting pistol bullets.
I think it is perfect for North America.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I had to have one, it might be a 7mm-08 700 mtn rifle, with floorplate, and a leupold 4 or 6x fixed in talley lw low rings.

308 would make more sense, because I could buy a case of ammo for $600 (fmj)

I would probably go for the 7mm-08.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, like some others here, I may already own it:

[Linked Image]

SigArms, SHR-970 30-06 (also have a 6.5 x 55 bbl for it). Pretty sure it's set up with a Burris FFII 3-9 with the Ballistic Plex. Then again, it might have the Zeiss 3-9 (Early Conquest?) but I think that's set up for the Swede bbl. Leupold QR mounts.

Shoots good too, even with "cheap" factory stuff.

Sight in target for that hunt:

[Linked Image]

Now, if only Sig had not discontinued it and sold the remaining stock of barrels and such to some French firm who's website I can't understand. I'd love to get some other calibers.

Interesting choices all, very interesting as Sgt. Schultz used to say.

Ge

Last edited by Valsdad; 07/19/16.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll chime in . . . .

Blaser - R93 or R8, take your choice. One rifle; many barrels.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The only one rifle discussion isn't that interesting.

The one more rifle is compelling.

.275 Rigby.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dtspoke

Do you mean this time or the other 500 times its been discussed?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
This Ruger 308 will do just as well in a little lighter package.
[Linked Image]

What "model" Ruger 308 is this? I like it, a lot!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by dtspoke

Do you mean this time or the other 500 times its been discussed?

Good point

I just read the thread, I should have said Rigby 7x57.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well my M70 30-06 gets most of my attention for big game. In fact the plastic stocked 700 may just go down the road so the old '06 is once again my only rifle. I don't feel handicapped at all.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only one?

9.3 x 62 built on a 1909 Argentine Mauser

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I could only buy one, then SHTF.

I'd take an AR and deal from there.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Sako 85 in 6.5 x 55

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
It would suck to settle on just one.

Think I'd go 1-8" twist .223AI for the versatility.

Top one.
[Linked Image]

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'd have a medium weight .308 put together. If forced to go with a production rifle, I'd try to find a MRC XWR and I'd top it with a 3-9 SWFA SS.

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 07/28/16. Reason: Scope

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
HVA 640 action
6,5x55
Hightech Stock
22" Modified Win 70 Featherweight profile barrel ( slightly heavier towards the front )
Alaska Arms Trigger
BRNO ZG-47 safety
S&K mounts
6x42 Kahles
Cerakoted
Treaded for silencer

Just like I am having built right now.

The US in the last 40 years:

Socialism for big corporations and military industrial complex

&

Rugged individualism for the individual.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Pre 64 winchester model 70 in 300 magnum.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For me the last one I would give up would be my LH Rem 700 in 243. Bullets from 55 to 105 gr would cover anything I'm going to shoot. A 5.56 AR would be a close second but I would get more versatility out of the 243.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The thought of one rifle is depressing.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by hanco

Maybe some are getting ready for Madame President.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Let me change the response a bit. I have twenty some odd rifles. If I could only keep one, it would be a toss up between my Browning Safari .308, built on a small ring Mauser and an early commercial FN custom stocked .30-06. Both are plenty accurate, the .308 scary accurate. And throw my advanced age into the equation, the .243 that matches the .308 might not be a bad choice.

I am through with the hard hunts likely involved with things larger than deer, hogs, and antelope. It was fun, but now memories. Even the mule deer spot and stalk two or three miles are history. I know where some easier hunting for them exists.

Best,

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 08/05/16.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Maybe some are getting ready for Madame President.

On that theme, if I could only buy one more rifle in life, I think I'd wait to see if Madame President got shot. I'd then go out and buy the exact rifle used so I could sit around and fondle it and imagine I was the one who did this country such a huge favor! laugh

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a Remington 760 game master in 30-06, for same reason.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Only one would be my first bolt action, a .30/06 commercial Mauser which has been treated to Roguard and NP3 and a MPI stock. Currently wears a 4x scope, but a 2-7 or 3-9 would be equally at home.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

I only hunt varmints and deer .

Sako A1 6x45 3x9 Swavorski 7lbs 1 oz

58 gr Hornadys and 85 gr Nosler Partions

[Linked Image]

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Every time is see this I have the urge to go buy another rifle

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
really most of us could go buy a 243 and factory ammo and be fine. we just love to make it more complicated lol

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a job. I can buy more than one rifle.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Not a gunwriter, but, will offer my opinion. I have varmint rifles, deer rifles and a "medium bore" just in case a cape buffalo escapes from the local zoo. I have one "all-purpose" rifle that will be the last to go in the event of zombie apocalypse or democrat election victory. I could happily hunt, defend the homestead and plink with my faux-NULA CLR in 30-06 for the rest of my days. With JB's 165gr Partition load, I wouldn't feel undergunned on anything but the big 5, and the smaller stuff can't be too dead.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you could only buy one beer...

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I know it's stretching the original post to include multiple barrels on a single receiver but the T/C Encore with a .17 Fireball barrel for varmints/ predators and a .260 Rem. barrel for big game fits all of my current centerfire needs even though I have other barrels that could sub in like a .223 for the Fireball and a 7mm-08 for the .260. The most versatile 2-barrel combo for game smaller than moose IMHO would be the .223 & .260 or, if bear or moose are a target, I'd replace the .260 with a .308 .
If restricted to one gun with one barrel it would be the .260 because of the wide choice of quality bullets from 100 gr to 160 gr. and the ability to reduce loads or max them.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I basically have one hunting rifle. I think the package comes first and the cartridge choice is second. This one has been fantastic in the mountains and the cartridge is good for anything I'll ever hunt which is everything from pigs to bears/elk/kudu.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Yep...

Hard concept to wrap one's hands around, must less come up with a logical answer...

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd rather consider, "If You Could Only Buy One Beer."

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by prm
I basically have one hunting rifle. I think the package comes first and the cartridge choice is second. This one has been fantastic in the mountains and the cartridge is good for anything I'll ever hunt which is everything from pigs to bears/elk/kudu.

[Linked Image]

.223AI...??

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is the 223 AI sufficient or big enough?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Bugger
Is the 223 AI sufficient or big enough?

laugh

Now, that's the $64 Fire question, a real dilemma...

DF

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by prm

[Linked Image]

.223AI...??

DF

Ha ha, no! Had to shoot M-16s in service. Not a fan of anything .223/5.56! This one is a 338 Fed.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by prm

[Linked Image]

.223AI...??

DF

Ha ha, no! Had to shoot M-16s in service. Not a fan of anything .223/5.56! This one is a 338 Fed.

laugh

It's the Fire, don't ya know.

A SA rifle, not otherwise specified, is automatically considered to be a .223AI until otherwise designated... grin

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yep...

Hard concept to wrap one's hands around, must less come up with a logical answer...

DF

It isn't to me.... I think it's a great idea! smile

If given my choice between a safe full of rifles or a big room loaded with trophy BG animals and one rifle, I'd take the trophies and one rifle every time.

Anybody can accumulate rifles. But getting the hunts in is infinitely more satisfying.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Now, don't start getting logical on us... blush

laugh

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Now, don't start getting logical on us... blush

laugh

DF

DF:

Im trying to save these guys a bunch of money....or more specifically spend it in the right places....if a guy can do both, God Bless. grin

Rifles depreciate....but memories of great hunts never go down in value. wink

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/25/16.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
8x57is VZ-24 in a Micky with a good 4x scope 2 position swing safety and a DT Mk.II trigger....200gr@2600fps will do anything I need done.

[Linked Image]

Just like this one in my safe...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by prm

[Linked Image]

.223AI...??

DF

That's a sweet rig prm.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mine would be a Hartman & Weiss 7x57 built around a mod. 1909 Argentino action, or a Blaser K95 kipplauf in 7x57R.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Remington 700, 308 Winchester.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
30/06 Improved, 6x42 Lupold and 140 gr NP. Good for everything that walks or crawls.

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....

Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other, for you freedom.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have all the rifles I need and want. But if I were to buy one more rifle... Hmmm... I don't currently have a 22-250, so that would probably be it.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

480 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,985
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.