Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Anything in the pocket auto line as good as the LCP for similar $$$? My folks are signed up for a CCW class and they're looking to purchase a pair of small autos to carry. I suggested the LCP for it's low cost and simplicity but I honestly haven't looked at anything else in that class lately.

Can't cost a fortune and can't be too big to pocket carry in Levi's. If it needs a holster it'll get left home or in the truck.

Any other suggestions?

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a LCP Custom and love it. However, I really like what I see in the Remington RM 380. It locks the slide back, has alloy frame and ambi mag release.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LCP is a very good "Rule One" gun.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've been an avid handgun shooter since 1980, and I won't actually shoot my LCP more than four or five mags full at the range due to the hand-shake it causes me after that. Something about the size and recoil impulse just really does my shooting hand in fast.

Move up to the Glock 42, however, which is still small enough to fit in the front pants pocket, and also a .380 ACP, and they will find that they can actually get some practice shooting in without discomfort (and even enjoy it, which is crucial). In my opinion, all things considered, even though the LCP might be technically superior strictly from the pocket carry perspective (i.e., it's smaller and thinner), the balance goes to the Glock 42 due to how important regular range practice is, which just won't get done with the LCP, but will get done with the Glock 42, due to how pleasant it is to shoot.

PS Glock has worked out all the bugs from the 42. It's now good to go. Just stick with the latest series of magazines for it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
TheKid,

A defensive handgun, by definition, is a weapon intended to save your life, or in this case, your parents' lives. Think of a defensive handgun as a tool to escape danger, not confront it.

In my opinion, the smallest caliber I'd use to save my life is .38 Special +P. But since I don't like the idea of going with minimum for saving my life, I'd prefer either a Sig P-229 chambered for .40 S&W or a 1911A1 chambered for .45 ACP.

In my opinion, the Model 1911A1 chambered for .45 ACP sits alone at the pinnacle of self-defense handguns. However, there is tactical advantage to not having to reload. Hence, 13 180 grain .40 S&W LE rounds in a P-229 with 12 more ready to go in a couple seconds makes it close to a dead heat. A full-size Model 1911A1 and a Sig P-229 are not difficult to conceal.

The only known way of surviving a gunfight is to not get in one. If that's not possible, the next most important rule is to not get shot. A good guy would be in a gunfight because a bad guy wants him dead. And dead is as final as it gets.

Every human being is declared dead when there's lack of brain activity. That can occur via one of two modes: destruction of the brain or lack of oxygenated blood to it. In the latter case, it means reducing a bad guy's blood pressure to zero.

In a gunfight, especially at close range (<10'), if you don't get the heck outta a bad guy's sight picture, you're probably gonna take rounds. That's never a good idea. Hence, suppressive fire while running for cover is a wise tactic. That means lots of rounds.

If you're lucky enough to hit a bad guy, you have to inflict as much damage as possible, which means go big, as in caliber.

I own no defensive handgun smaller than a .38 Special. I'll never own a pocket gun. Now that's just my opinion. You do what's right for your parents and you. I don't much like the idea of having to rely upon a 5-shot .38 Special loaded with the FBI load to save my life. If I'm carrying a handgun, which I rarely do (I can legally carry anywhere the American flag flies), it's almost always my old duty weapon: my Sig P-229.

My life is damned important to me. I avoid going to places that are dangerous. I'll go to LA only if I HAVE to. But were I to go somewhere that I thought could be dangerous, I'd take my P-229. However, I'd feel just as safe with a 1911A1.

One more thing to keep in mind: bad guys rarely do bad things alone. That means that, God forbid, were your parents confronted by bangers, there are better choices than a pocket pistol.

Were I to buy another handgun for self-defense, it'd probably be a Sig P-239 in .40 S&W. Also, I like heavy for caliber bullets. I don't read ballistic tables. I want momentum. If one hole is good, two have to be twice as good. I want a lot of blood out hastening zero blood pressure. At least that's how I have it figured. Please understand that these are my opinions. What's right for me might be all wrong for another.

I wish your parents long lives and absolute safety.

Best of luck to you.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+2 on the Glock 42

I've owned several small pistols including; the LCP, Kal-Tec .380, Colt Mustang, and Kahr PM 9.

I bought the first 42 I could find, and found out the I could "hit" better with it than any of the others.

I bought my Wife a 42, then up-graded to a 43 for myself, which is fractions of an inch bigger and is chambered for the 9mm.

These pack really well in a pocket holster when wearing jeans.

They work for us!

Virgil B.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SakoAV
TheKid,

A defensive handgun, by definition, is a weapon intended to save your life, or in this case, your parents' lives. Think of a defensive handgun as a tool to escape danger, not confront it.

In my opinion, the smallest caliber I'd use to save my life is .38 Special +P. But since I don't like the idea of going with minimum for saving my life, I'd prefer either a Sig P-229 chambered for .40 S&W or a 1911A1 chambered for .45 ACP.

In my opinion, the Model 1911A1 chambered for .45 ACP sits alone at the pinnacle of self-defense handguns. However, there is tactical advantage to not having to reload. Hence, 13 180 grain .40 S&W LE rounds in a P-229 with 12 more ready to go in a couple seconds makes it close to a dead heat. A full-size Model 1911A1 and a Sig P-229 are not difficult to conceal.

The only known way of surviving a gunfight is to not get in one. If that's not possible, the next most important rule is to not get shot. A good guy would be in a gunfight because a bad guy wants him dead. And dead is as final as it gets.

Every human being is declared dead when there's lack of brain activity. That can occur via one of two modes: destruction of the brain or lack of oxygenated blood to it. In the latter case, it means reducing a bad guy's blood pressure to zero.

In a gunfight, especially at close range (<10'), if you don't get the heck outta a bad guy's sight picture, you're probably gonna take rounds. That's never a good idea. Hence, suppressive fire while running for cover is a wise tactic. That means lots of rounds.

If you're lucky enough to hit a bad guy, you have to inflict as much damage as possible, which means go big, as in caliber.

I own no defensive handgun smaller than a .38 Special. I'll never own a pocket gun. Now that's just my opinion. You do what's right for your parents and you. I don't much like the idea of having to rely upon a 5-shot .38 Special loaded with the FBI load to save my life. If I'm carrying a handgun, which I rarely do (I can legally carry anywhere the American flag flies), it's almost always my old duty weapon: my Sig P-229.

My life is damned important to me. I avoid going to places that are dangerous. I'll go to LA only if I HAVE to. But were I to go somewhere that I thought could be dangerous, I'd take my P-229. However, I'd feel just as safe with a 1911A1.

One more thing to keep in mind: bad guys rarely do bad things alone. That means that, God forbid, were your parents confronted by bangers, there are better choices than a pocket pistol.

Were I to buy another handgun for self-defense, it'd probably be a Sig P-239 in .40 S&W. Also, I like heavy for caliber bullets. I don't read ballistic tables. I want momentum. If one hole is good, two have to be twice as good. I want a lot of blood out hastening zero blood pressure. At least that's how I have it figured. Please understand that these are my opinions. What's right for me might be all wrong for another.

I wish your parents long lives and absolute safety.

Best of luck to you.
I recognize you as someone who used to have a different name here at the Fire.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SakoAV,
I would recommend a reading comprehension class.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own a slew of hand guns. The LCP is the only one I have that is not fun to shoot. Reminds me of a firecracker going off in your hand. I do carry it sometimes, it is easy to conceal. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't shot the LCP but do have a pair of LC9s pro's. I wouldn't hesitate to get an LCP if I was in the market for one.

IC B3

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Best of luck to you.

ya think?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
I own a slew of hand guns. The LCP is the only one I have that is not fun to shoot. Reminds me of a firecracker going off in your hand. I do carry it sometimes, it is easy to conceal. Hasbeen
Exactly.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Haven't shot the LCP but do have a pair of LC9s pro's.
Apples and oranges. I love my LC9S pro, and can shoot it all day without discomfort. Not so the LCP. As the other poster said, it's like a firecracker going off in your hand on each shot. Go with the Glock 42. So much superior as a shooter, and still would work as a front pants pocket gun, if that's required.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RWE

Best of luck to you.

ya think?
Raisuli?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry an LCP .380, can't comment on something else since the only other real pocket gun I've owned is a Kel-Tec P32.

Hand shape or size must play a role in whether someone likes the LCP or not since I found mine very comfortable to shoot through a box of 50 rounds. Recoil is snappy as expected but not harsh in the least, and certainly not as much as a Walther PPK with that heavy slide inertia.

I like mine a lot. It's more accurate than it needs to be, it points very well for me, has a good trigger pull and it's reliable. It doesn't replace my 9mm's but for certain situations as 4ager notes it's a great Rule #1 gun. (Rule #1 for a Gunfight - Bring a gun).

Reviewed mine here last February so the best thing is to link to that.

Rat Gun review

On pocket carry, again individual shape and size and what clothes you wear make a difference. My old K-T P32 was carried in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster and when standing in blue jeans it was an indistinguishable lump, looked like I was carrying my wallet in my front pocket. Sitting down it became a very obvious lump but with the holster it didn't print as a firearm. The LCP is marginally bigger so just exaggerate everything said about the K-T.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Pretty sure my folks aren't going to ever get out of bed and strap on their full size Sigs or 1911s, hence " if it needs a holster it will get left home". I realize that a full size fighting handgun would be more effective but it just isn't going to happen for them.

I was thinking the LCP pro would be the way to go, I have a buddy with one and I consider the sights alone a huge step up from the original LCP. As Jim said, hand shape must have a lot to do with perceived recoil as I have shot the LCP quite a bit and don't find it objectionable. They certainly aren't a target pistol but I don't find them painful to shoot. Mom and Pop might but I don't, I also have long skinny hands so maybe that makes a difference.

I will check the G42 pricing from my distributors and see how close to their budget they are. I personally like the little Glocks I've shot but the trigger worries me a little for pocket carry. The LCP is much longer DA and seems harder to set off in a pocket to me.

Personally I prefer a J frame for this type of duty but I'm also willing to alter my dress habits to allow me to carry something discretely. They are not but that's okay, at least now they'll be carrying something. %99.99 chance the little guns will shoot a hell of a lot more Rattlesnakes, armadillas, and stuff like that than bad guys.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I understand the appeal of a pocket pistol, and occasionally carry one that way, thought of fumbling in a pocket for a pistol is a bit concerning. Which is why I like an IWB holster for my LC9s pro.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TheKid
Pretty sure my folks aren't going to ever get out of bed and strap on their full size Sigs or 1911s, hence " if it needs a holster it will get left home". I realize that a full size fighting handgun would be more effective but it just isn't going to happen for them.

I was thinking the LCP pro would be the way to go, I have a buddy with one and I consider the sights alone a huge step up from the original LCP. As Jim said, hand shape must have a lot to do with perceived recoil as I have shot the LCP quite a bit and don't find it objectionable. They certainly aren't a target pistol but I don't find them painful to shoot. Mom and Pop might but I don't, I also have long skinny hands so maybe that makes a difference.

I will check the G42 pricing from my distributors and see how close to their budget they are. I personally like the little Glocks I've shot but the trigger worries me a little for pocket carry. The LCP is much longer DA and seems harder to set off in a pocket to me.

Personally I prefer a J frame for this type of duty but I'm also willing to alter my dress habits to allow me to carry something discretely. They are not but that's okay, at least now they'll be carrying something. %99.99 chance the little guns will shoot a hell of a lot more Rattlesnakes, armadillas, and stuff like that than bad guys.
None of these guns should be pocket carried without a proper pocket holster. Way too dangerous.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
While I understand the appeal of a pocket pistol, and occasionally carry one that way, thought of fumbling in a pocket for a pistol is a bit concerning. Which is why I like an IWB holster for my LC9s pro.

[Linked Image]
+1 I gave up pocket carry almost twenty years ago for that reason. It's only IWB for me. If I were to carry my LCP it would likely be in a belly band holster. Haven't done so yet, though. Mainly have it because of the cool factor of such a tiny .380 pistol that works.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid

None of these guns should be pocket carried without a proper pocket holster. Way too dangerous.

Bullschit. The LCP is quite fine for pocket carry without a holster, just like a J-frame snubnose. The G42? Hell no; I'd not pocket carry that without a holster.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 3,065 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,490
Posts18,471,914
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.