Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 63 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 62 63
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
you can just take a half a Xanax to aid steadiness.... grin My OEM Colt blaster shot about 4 MOA on Sunday for about 30 rounds give or take.

GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by jimmyp
you can just take a half a Xanax to aid steadiness.... grin

Combine that with a little blue pill for a monopod and you might be on to something...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do have a 7.62x39 that will do about 1 MOA. No silly magazine, though grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We've got one like that too Tex; my wife's little CZ527.

Figured I would shoot this again. Same WASR, same Tula 122 FMJ and same basic target at 100 yards. I did add a Tech Sight AK100S which uses an 0-2 aperture and is adjustable for windage. Elevation adjustments are made via the front post.

[Linked Image]

In both 10 shot strings I managed a 2-3 of flyers, which I knew were stinkers as soon as the gun bucked. One I let go early from riding the reset a little hard, but the sights were on target (if not perfected) and they were all on the paper. 7” for 20 rounds.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Take-aways: I have aging eyes, suck at long strings and shoot much better on 3D targets. Shot this on a 11x17 plate a couple of days ago, 195 yards. Same ammo and sights, 5 shot string. While it is irrelevant to this contest, it tells me the rifle and ammo are accurate enough.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got busy & loaded some ammo. Let's say we had a Daniel Defense versus Noveske day smirk

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shot the same load through both rifles, 77gr Berger OTM Tacticals over 24gr CFE223, in new Lapua brass. I have some of the ASC mags which allow longer OAL - in this case I loaded them to 2.298" OAL

The first rifle is a DD Mk12. It has a 18" CHF and nitrided barrel with rifle gas, in a SPR profile. It's been modified with triad flash suppressor, Magpul stock, and a Geissele DMR trigger. The groups shown are the best I've managed with the rifle.

The 2nd rifle is a Mutt made from CMMG upper & lower, with a Daniel chrome BCA. The trigger is stock, and is stiff and rough. The barrel is a Noveske 18" SPR mid-length gas. It has a Troy 13" Alpha rail, which nicely covers up all the scratches I put on the Noveske gas block blush

Despite the hamfisted assembly, rough trigger, and brand-new, no break in barrel, the Mutt slightly edged the DD. Prior to shooting, I thought about chamfering the muzzles, and found the Noveske barrel takes a pilot .001 smaller than the DD. It is also straight stainless, not nitrided. It is certainly worthy of a better trigger and some more load development.

The bad news concerned the mags, which tended to hang open and not feed the last round in the magazine. If anything they were a bit worse in the DD than the Mutt.

I shot the 20 rounds first with the DD, then moved its 3x9 VX-R scope over to the Mutt. After shooting both 20rd courses, I moved the scope again to the Colt 6920, and fired just a few rounds. It shows decent promise, for being just a light rifle - bone stock with a chrome lined barrel.

And then there was an original 180 Series Ruger Mini-14 from 1976, which I inherited from Dad. The 77 Bergers are of course too long for its 1 in 10" rifle, so I fooled around with some 55gr factory loads, and it did better than the one AK I have owned. So more development is indicated. smile

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good shooting y'all.

I had all intentions of shooting the challenge last weekend but my first 3 shots measured 1.5" so I decided to save some ammo. Needless to say, cleaning barrels has its benefits. First 5 shots after cleaning measured in the .6's. Need to try it again.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Great shooting from some very accurate rifles, Tex!

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I hate this challenge!
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats a nice group on the right.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Thats a nice group on the right.

I agree. Looks great! Now make the one on the left like that too... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good thread. I'm going to get me one of these black rifle's one of these days.... Just taking my time and trying to figure out exactly what I want.. wink

I had it narrowed down to something like these 2:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny the rifles I have built outshoot the ones I have bought smirk

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Me too but my only complete rifles I've bought are a Colt 6720 and a 6920, they wear Aimpoints.

I've assembled some pretty accurate uppers with barrels from Noveske, Shilen, LaRue, Faxon, Krieger and a few more I'm sure using 5 shot groups but this 20 shot challenge get's me every time.

I was sighting in a new scope yesterday and decided to try again. I shot the group on the left and then realized what I was doing wrong, corrected myself and shot the group on the right, all 20 shots in a couple of minutes. Was gonna try again but didn't have enough ammo with me and it was 98 degrees so I went home.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You have a new scope, what did you get! I am going to shoot it again but with this german MEN M193, probably look like an AK group. smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
TWR, what were you doing wrong? Lots of times that info helps all or some of us out? Reminders never hurt.

I guarantee full body flinches don't help... BTDT... LOL

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Jeff, I wasn't controlling the rear bag and the gun was ending up all over the target. I squeezed the bag and dry fired a few times so my gun stayed still then shot it.

It's always the simple stuff.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dry firing to make sure things are right, is alwyas a good thing.

I tend to find that no matter how much in practice I am 2-3 dry fires shows much improvement.

NPA checks generally help wiht the dry firing, as you check by dry firing.

Thanks for the input!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TWR
Me too but my only complete rifles I've bought are a Colt 6720 and a 6920, they wear Aimpoints.

I've assembled some pretty accurate uppers with barrels from Noveske, Shilen, LaRue, Faxon, Krieger and a few more I'm sure using 5 shot groups but this 20 shot challenge get's me every time.

I was sighting in a new scope yesterday and decided to try again. I shot the group on the left and then realized what I was doing wrong, corrected myself and shot the group on the right, all 20 shots in a couple of minutes. Was gonna try again but didn't have enough ammo with me and it was 98 degrees so I went home.

Good groups regardless.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is not really a Challenge set of targets, but I'll post it anyway since I measured the composite groups.

Went to the range to test a series of powders & bullets.

Each target has 5 Nosler 77 gr CC bullets & 5 Sierra TMK bullets with each powder; Alliant AR-Comp, IMR-8208 & Alliant 2000-MR.

All with CCI 41 primers, WW brass.

The group size reported is the total spread of both (different) bullets shot on each target; 1.37", 1.75", 1.70".

Even though the POA was the same for all loads, the POI for the 2 different bullets with each powder, & for all 3, is clearly different, but consistent.

I'll load up some more now with 20 bullets each for a given powder & shoot it again.

Looks like all are pretty decent if viewed in the context of either of the bullets with any of the powders tested.

Rfile is a KAC, 18" barrel with a NF 2.5x10 scope & it only has less than 100 rounds through it.

MM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 28 of 63 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (16penny, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 78 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,737
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.