Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11308532 07/14/16
P
poboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
We probably been over this before, but I just went to Home D. for epoxy and had few choices. Attaching Axis antler to carbon steel knife. I have done many with the Defcon? brand. I bought the JBWeld Epoxy. I have never used that brand. If I have to order off internet, I would like to know what you guys use. Thanks!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use Devcon for the hobby knives I put together..

I've done 20+ over the years without any problems....

JB makes good stuff for sure but I haven't tried their epoxy....sorry....

Luck

Last edited by FieldGrade; 07/14/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W.E.S.T

good enough for boats, airplanes and wind turbine blades

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Devcon or J.B. Weld will do fine Poboy. If you read Bob Lovelace's book on how to make knives, he used Devcon and some of his knives are selling for mega bucks now and they were not cheap even 35 or 40 years ago. Don't get caught up in the minor details like glue. If the blade design is correct for what you are going to use the knife for, if the steel is good and the heat treat correct, then you are going to have a good knife. If any of those are wrong, nothing else matters because your knife is not going to work well.

All the best. BTW, love your selection for the handle material.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobWills
...Don't get caught up in the minor details like glue...

...unless you care about quality and long service life.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal

This is something of a worthy topic for debate.

I have,have had and have seen many ,many knives well over 100 years old. Some folders with scales shrunk back,curled up,cracks. Blades wobbling,but still can be used,and still fold and work. Straight knives with nothing but compression rivets on the non stabilized wood handles,bone & stag too,with other construction methods.

In either case,there was no newfangled 2 part epoxies.

In the modern world knifemakers try their best efforts using all types of superior construction & materials.

Bottom line is though , sometimes it is overkill. Great to have it,but don't over think it

Just sayin'

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
With man made materials such as micarta, G-10, etc and corby or loveless fasteners, the glue/epoxy needs are minimal to none.
With organic materials some form of stabilizing and a good epoxy help them not deform with age, use and abuse, especially when plain straight pins are used.

I am currently repairing some old knives (for friends) like Vince mentions above. Some with totally deteriorated handles. I use 2 part epoxy to assist in the assembly of the repair parts.

But to each his own.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
West Systems G/Flex, hands down. It won't fail you even if the knife gets wet, as it's a marine epoxy. I've made many knives with it and it's never failed me. Go you youtube and you can find a video of a guy who glues up scales on a knife then beats it with a sledge. The scales failed, but not the epoxy. It's made to flex slightly and is super strong.

Life's too short to share it with an ugly gun.
P
poboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for all comments. I usually use the compression rivets, like Old Hickory etc. This knife has two pins about 3\32s.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
T88, but you have to need a LOT of glue. Made for gluing up airplanes so it should be strong and have lasting strength.

I have some handle I glued on in the 70s and they are still there on kitchen use knives. Glue only, no pins.

Last edited by LouisB; 07/19/16.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by pal

I continue to be amazed by the everyday evidence of the failings of the public school system. It has created a whole cadre of internet trolls, all of whom are experts on everything even though they don't own a tool box, nor ever built so much as a bird house.

Last edited by BobWills; 07/20/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't say the type of epoxy doesn't matter but I'd venture to say most adhesive failures on scales have more to do with how the adhesive was used than what brand was used.

Epoxy needs to be mixed in the proper proportions and thoroughly, the scales need to be sanded and cleaned and if a material that is oily de-greased. The tang has to be cleaned an any scale removed. And the clamping pressure needs to be sufficient to keep the scales in place, but no so great as to squeeze all the epoxy out of the joint.

P
poboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
The tang is like sanded with 20grit. I like that. The Axis antler has all kinds of pores etc. I drill extra holes for the epoxy to go scale to scale thru the tang. I'll put little notches in the pins for the epoxy. I've done many, none have come back yet. Thanks for all replies.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I do a lot of hidden tangs with antlers. For that application Accraglass is hard to beat. You want the old style,not the jel. I remove all the pith and even heat the epoxy in some hot water so it fills the inside completely.

P
poboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks R H. At one time I had some Devcon(?) that dried to an off-white that was pretty close to pith color. Drilling the caveman way there was some sloppiness. Sometimes I save
some antler dust also.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Glue sucks azz. That's what pin's are 4

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by pal

Best folders ever made were in the 30's. No glue was used

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by poboy
Thanks R H. At one time I had some Devcon(?) that dried to an off-white that was pretty close to pith color. Drilling the caveman way there was some sloppiness. Sometimes I save
some antler dust also.

I'm only talking hidden tangs here where you won't see any epoxy. I like the accraglass because of it's nearly non existent shrinkage and it's history of holding up for decades. Accraglass drys clear.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mixed West epoxy has a very slightly amber hue. The normal (205 and 206) uncured hardeners turn reddish, with age, if you keep them long enough.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You can mix dye in some of the epoxy on the market. Sometimes I'll mix black if I am doing a black liner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1936M71, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 65 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,057
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.