Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by Seafire
I'm one of the dinosaurs who prefer Round Nose Bullets....

so I'm not qualified to answer.
Have a bunch of .375" 270 & 300 gr Hornady RN. They work very well on jackrabbits,especially the 270 gr RN's. grin

[Linked Image]

286 gr. Nosler Partitions work well on hoppers!

ya'

GWB
Yup! grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MILES58
This has got to be one of the dumbest questions I have seen on the board.

How old are the spiffy little rimfire 17s?

How old is the .204?

How old are the Enduron powders like 4451?

How old are copper monos?

How many years have we had factory ammo that across the board shot as accurately and hand loads and faster?

How many years have we had out of the box rifle that consistently shot MOA groups without a lot of screwing around?

And that very brief list doesn't address figuring out how to use things together like Blue Dot and light Hornet bullets in .223s as UBER performing replacements for .22 lr ammo that is hard/impossible to find.

The improved design and manufacturing processes have given us incredible glass at very reasonable prices. Even blister pack scopes are way ahead of much of the scopes not so long ago.

We are living through the most productive time for improvement to the tools of our sport.

If that list of skullphucked schit impresses you, have at it.......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think that technology is continuing on each and every piece of our arsenal. No question lots of the old stuff works and works well enough, but there is always room for improvement.
I have little doubt that we'll see marked improvements in propellants as the technology there unfolds.
And, the haters are going to contine to hate.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
16bore,

You're not pleased with the introduction of temperature stable or copper reducing powders?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 16bore

How old is the .204?

How many years have we had factory ammo that across the board shot as accurately and hand loads and faster?

How many years have we had out of the box rifle that consistently shot MOA groups without a lot of screwing around?

And that very brief list doesn't address figuring out how to use things together like Blue Dot and light Hornet bullets in .223s as UBER performing replacements for .22 lr ammo that is hard/impossible to find.

The improved design and manufacturing processes have given us incredible glass at very reasonable prices. Even blister pack scopes are way ahead of much of the scopes not so long ago.

We are living through the most productive time for improvement to the tools of our sport.

Then obviously you've hit the wall too. Stupid is never not funny.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Or is it just me?

All trends have been toward hitting stuff further away,and using technology to make it easier for shooters.

That's been going on since Speer thrower vs. Bow.

And everyone knows the invention of the Crossbow was so unethical.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

How old is the .204?

He's still pissed about that "new fangled" Long Bow.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Or is it just me?

All trends have been toward hitting stuff further away,and using technology to make it easier for shooters.

That's been going on since Speer thrower vs. Bow.

And everyone knows the invention of the Crossbow was so unethical.

I know. It will continue.

Remote control is next. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The rifle is a tool. The time in the woods is the important thing to me. Life gets hectic, yours especially so, according to some of your posts. The more hours spent in solitude chasing my quarry the better it is for my peace of mind. Nice to get away from all the obsessing over minute differences in ballistics, especially at the ranges we hunt in Virginia, and just hunt. If it comes to remote controlled I'll give up. Always enjoyed the hunt more than the killing. The killing has always been just a necessity whether in the woods or on the farm. I glean no pleasure from the act.

Last edited by jackmountain; 07/24/16.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

A little off topic but in a store yesterday to pickup the Grandson a kids fishing rod. I have more than enough .22lr, but asked about them and was told they currently have a buy one get another at 50% off. Asked if there was a limit and was told bring your truck around back and I can give you more than you probably want.

Last edited by battue; 07/24/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems to me there haven't been any really revolutionary advancements in over 100 years. The .30-06 and commercialized Mauser action designs still reign supreme.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Few months ago I ordered a keg of IMR 4451 just because it has been reported to be right up there with, if not better than, H4350/4831 in regards to temp insensitivity.

Not sure how long they've been around but I also appreciate nickel plated #5's. Until I bite down on one anyway.

We are pretty frikken spoiled when it comes to all this chit.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Lets see,Nosler Partitions,Swift A-Frame,Barnes X. Hodgdon Extreme and other temp insensitive powders. No more fogging of scopes,better lenses,better tracking. Synthetic stocks,better metal finishes i.e. more rust resistant.

And is just what I came up with in a few minutes. Most of those were done in the last 20 years.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 07/24/16.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Bitterroot Bonded Core,Trophy Bonded Bullets,Woodleigh bullets,North Fork bullets,

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
Pappy348,

I don't see a whole lot of room for improvement for hunting rifles without compromising our sporting ethics.

This doesn't make any sense to me. For me lighter is better. I purchased a titanium action; an improvement. To go with that I purchased a carbon fiber barrel; an improvement. To go with that I purchased a Kevlar stock and a micro-cell recoil pad to save a few ounces; both improvements. When I was young I carried an eleven pound rifle. Now that I'm in my seventies I carry a seven pound rifle.

We've been killing animals with way more technology than the animals have for generations. What does it have to do with ethics?

Those are incremental improvements that don't have much, if any impact how we hunt or make it easier to connect, they just make it easier for you to drag your old, wrinkly azz around in the woods. Light, handy rifles have been around forever. I was thinking about stuff that actually takes over some of the stuff we do like holding and squeezing. The rifles, ammo and sights we have already let us take shots and make clean kills, if we have the skill, at ranges beyond what can or should be characterized as "hunting".

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No big game animal I've ever taken couldn't have been taken with a .30-06 or even a 7x57. Rifles, powders, bullets and scopes have improved over the last 100 years plus but the most important changes for me have been elsewhere.

I don't have a horse, I have a bunch of them. They all live under the hood of my 4x4 truck that takes me from the home turf to the hunting grounds in a matter of hours, trips that would take days by horse. Before I leave home I use my home computer, the internet and Google Earth to learn or review the terrain and fauna of the country I will be hunting. I also download the latest maps to my GPS and cell phone so I not only have electronic moving maps showing my current location but also land owner information. If I get hurt I can use my Delorme InReach emergency beacon to summon help via the Iridium satellite system. It also sends out a beaconing signal which allows my family to track me via a web page displaying a map of my travels and exact location. When I'm out of cell phone coverage my family rests easier knowing I made it back to camp.

It's good to be living in the 'good old days'.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've seen a couple of 100 yard bow shots. Hopefully never again. However when some see these advertisements we will see more lost animals.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pappy348,

The rifles, ammo and sights we have already let us take shots and make clean kills, if we have the skill, at ranges beyond what can or should be characterized as "hunting".

Who set you up as the arbiter of what is not hunting?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the industry starts releasing new cartridges set up to win like the 6.5 Creedmoor, we are in for some serious growth. If they can get twist rate, throating and mag box length right on new stuff, it could very well be a new era.

Won't happen though.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
Pappy348,

The rifles, ammo and sights we have already let us take shots and make clean kills, if we have the skill, at ranges beyond what can or should be characterized as "hunting".

Who set you up as the arbiter of what is not hunting?

Why I did, of course.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,954 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.