Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Somehow, I have lived 65 years and gotten a BA degree in History, and never heard of this wreck before.
I will visit this museum in Kansas City one day, and spend a lot of time there. What a time capsule of a day, and a year, in our history.
1856. Five years before the Civil War. The burgeoning nation expanding into the territories explored by Lewis and Clark. This is so fascinating to me.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thinkin they pulled that stuff out bout 20 years ago.

They were diggin right across the road from the KCKPD range.

When ya see a hole that big in a cornfield, ya gotta walk over and see. I guessed it was Hoffa.

The guys diggin said the dig was easy, just glacial loess soil, no rocks, but the river kept fillin up the hole. One weekend the pumps went bad and the whole thing filled up almost to the top.

They spent bout as much as those Alaskan gold miners on fuel for the pumps, whilst diggin the thing out. Hard work and they deserve every penny.

Same guys are diggin the Malta out now, about 50 miles downriver. Town's called Malta Bend, cause that's the bend in the river where the Malta sank.

These guys look for boats that went down relatively quickly, or in a bad spot, otherwise all the stuffs been offloaded.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I volunteered on an archaeological dig one time.
I was living down in central Georgia. There were some Indian mounds along the Oconee River.
Word got out that a team from UGA was coming down for 5 weeks to do a dig.

I went out there, there was the head archaeologist guy, a few assistant professors, and 25 college kids. This was very interesting! I was 32 years old.

I worked for 8 hours in the hot sun along side the college people, sifting dirt through a screen. Found some pretty good arrowheads and smoking pipes.

Well, some of these coeds were pretty good looking. They were all going to stay in tents they had pitched there, a 5 week campout for them.
Well, 5 o'clock rolled around and a couple of the girls asked if I wanted "to go swimming in the Oconee River" after work.

Well, that sounded pretty good to me.
I didn't know it, but the plan was to go skinny dipping.
So, like any regular guy, I had sat around for 7 hours wondering what this particular coed would look like naked.
Come 5:30 pm there were 20 of us there in the Oconee River and I didn't have to use my imagination any more.

Old pervert profs have long had an eye for the finest looking young coeds to work on digs and such...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well, some of the coeds were fine looking, and some were not.
I had a tall blonde in mind and, yes indeed, got to see every square inch of her that afternoon in the river.
Good Lord.

I went to talk to her etc., tried my best but it was no go.
C'est la vie. All's fair in love and war.

On the other hand there was a little gal, about 21 years old, very friendly to me I knew I could take her back to my house and have some fun, but this gal was about 30 pounds overweight and not that good looking, ok looking but not great, I just wasn't interested.

So, I found some nice arrowheads and pipes but, found no love in that hot summer on the banks of the Oconee River.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Point-blank water balloons. Fine.
Sir, even though your are a Yankee scoundrel, I knew you had the honor to accept my challenge.

I will meet you in the mists of dawn at the Field of Honor, with a dozen colored water balloons. Prepare to meet your maker.

eek eek eek

Careful! That Maker he speaks of will surely leave a Mark!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh....... crazy crazy

grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, some of the coeds were fine looking, and some were not.
I had a tall blonde in mind and, yes indeed, got to see every square inch of her that afternoon in the river.
Good Lord.

I went to talk to her etc., tried my best but it was no go.
C'est la vie. All's fair in love and war.

On the other hand there was a little gal, about 21 years old, very friendly to me I knew I could take her back to my house and have some fun, but this gal was about 30 pounds overweight and not that good looking, ok looking but not great, I just wasn't interested.

So, I found some nice arrowheads and pipes but, found no love in that hot summer on the banks of the Oconee River.

I remember a sort of parallel moment, about the same time, trying to impress a lass, skinny-dipping in the Columbia. Damn cold water!

Parting the hair to find him was not near as stimulating as I had thought it might be...

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I'm going up that way in a couple weeks. I got to see all that

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
https://www.nps.gov/media/photo/gallery.htm?id=F3D19BAA-155D-4519-3E1E79ACBC118404

Here's a link to a recently found wreck of the North Alabama that sank in 1870. Still on the snag that sank her and now exposed on a sandbar.
In the Missouri between Nebraska and South Dakota.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good thread.

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
80,000 people a year going the exhibit. Probably 10.00 a pop.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (219DW, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 54 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,353
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.