Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I have been saving my ducket's I Ordered a NULA in 300 Win the other day Melvin asked what scope I had in mind.
He said he has had some issues with a couple scope lately with the reticle on the brand I was thinking of.
With that being said this is going to be my Elk dream rifle and scope. I am now looking at three scopes two Leopold's the V6 and the Mark 6 and the Schmidt Bender is the third.
I want to stay with a variable from 3 to 4 low for short shots to a min of 12 power on the high. I am not stuck on these three scopes and all options are open.
I am wanting to start learning to shoot long range I have a nice range that goes out to 1200 yards.
Right now I am comfortable shooting 300 if I have a tree to lean on. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First off, I'd not put a Hubble telescope on a NULA.

As for said options, the VX6 2-12X would be the largest I would go. With a nice elevation dial, of course.

A S&B Summit would be nice.....

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
2muchgun
Thanks I have waited years for this and I am finally in a position to make it happen.
Just got to figure wich one of these darn scopes. I have been looking at Melvins guns forever and now that it is time the scope I was thinking of is not recommended.
I have about 9 month to find one lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So what does Melvin recommend?

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
After having owned both, the only advantage I can come up with in this Summit vs VX6 is that the Summit has slightly better glass. The glass on the 2-12x is excellent too though, and the reticle, eye relief at all powers, ease of use, etc are all better with the Vx6. The plex reticle on the summit is way to thin IMO, so mine went down the road.

If you're not too concerned with dialing elevation, I'd also look hard for a meopta R2 1.7-10x.

Good luck, and have some fun with it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not Melvin; but for long range with a practice range of up to 1200 yards handy, I would be looking at a 30mm tube, and your choice of bdc type reticle and/or elevation dials.

If you are looking to splurge, maybe the above with a FFP reticle.

Lots of practice of course.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will be honest, it is hard for me to recommend anything too large/heavy for a NULA. I am picky I guess, and buy rifles for specific purposes. I never try to turn them into something they are not. What happens is you end up with a rifle that is okay for several applications, but best suited to NONE. BT/DT.

I could live happily with a VX3 3.5-10x40 M1 on said rifle.

If you must though, also check out one of the Nightforce "compacts". Lots of elevation and tough. Said scope will be imparted with a good amount of recoil given rifle chambering/weight.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An ultralight rifle in a relatively heavy recoiling caliber (in that light of a set-up), to "learn to shoot long range out to 1200" for elk hunting...

Yeah, here's a recipe for success... crazy

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you're gonna dial, there's only a few reliable choices these days.

If you're a "hope it stays zeroed" and a Kentucky windage cat, your options are more broad...

Hopefully you are the former and if not, you ordered one of the best rifles available today and will not utilize it fully...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bushy LRHS 3-12x.

IC B3

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I think Melvin was leaning toward a Leopold's but do not want to put words in his mouth as I never asked him directly.
No Kentucky wind age here would love to learn to shoot out to 600 yards effectively someday.
300 is where I am comfortable at this time.

I would like to get a dial set to my gun I have a chronograph after I find my load.
Yes I reload and love doing it. I do not think in over 30 years I have killed an animal with a factory round.
Greg if u give me those choices I sure would appreciate it.
Like I said I am usually the under 300 guy.
I have no dream of ever shooting an Elk at 1200 but will enjoy shooting at the range at the longer distance.
Thanks guys

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
600 is a hell of a lot more reasonable.

Leupold VX-3, 3.5-10x40. M1 elevation turret. Done.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If you have an ultralight rifle, it deserves an ultralight scope.
Check out the new Vortex Razor HD LH. There are only two reticles to choose from, which you may or may not like; designed for holdover. The glass definitely plays with the big boys.

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
KcTbear

Those look great where I hunt it has some open but also some thick Aspens and a 5 power at the low end is a little to much.
Thanks for suggestion though

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My NULA M209 had a Trijicon 1-4x then Leupold 2.5-8x36mm on it. They are perfect for a 300yds muzzleloader. My NULA .257Wby had a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10X32MM on it and was a great package. I would do that one again or possibly an 3-12x44mm LRHS since I love mine.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Fastback65,
There are three models:

3-15x42
2-10x40
1.5-8

I bought the 1.5-8 and so far I dig it. Haven't took it to the range or in the field yet, but the image is crisp and out to the edge, with a fantastic eybox. Plenty of eye relief in all magnifications. Good control of chromatic aberration.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 4ager
600 is a hell of a lot more reasonable.

Leupold VX-3, 3.5-10x40. M1 elevation turret. Done.

They just don't track reliably or RTZ bro, that's the only slight problem...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Bushy LRHS 3-12x.

^ Bingo ! Great optics, FFP reticle, with excellent RTZ tracking

Not superlight, for that the 1" Leupy is more to the point

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks guys for all the in put so far I am leaning Leopold's and Night force. I got to tell you guys I am honored to own such a gun and fill like I am half bragging telling u I ordered one.

I know some of u guys have several but 29.5 years I got into law enforcement and the pay is not the greatest but I loved every min of it.
I am getting ready soon to move on and this rifle is my dream for retirement or a gift to myself.

Thanks again for all the help.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fastback65,

Lately I have been using a Kimber 84M that weighs 4 lb 15 oz without rings, mounts and scope. It has a Nikon Monarch 3 5-20X44. This scope weight 19 oz. and delights me.

When I started on this Weatherby rifle I decided the maximum weight of a scope at 18 oz. Once the scope at that weight failed to return to zero I changed and wanted a scope with good glass and very good in low light. I settled on one that weighs 22.2 oz. It is a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. Now the rifle weighs seven pounds ready to go and the Kimber is back with its owner.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Ok now adding Bush night and Leop to research thanks. Lot of love for the Bush never dreamed that but that's why I started this to get real users opinions.
Thank guys

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
World class mechanical stability and precision carries a weight penalty but if you are serious about wanting to effort towards 1200 yards, it's necessary... I'd say that's your first big fork in the decision tree.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager
An ultralight rifle in a relatively heavy recoiling caliber (in that light of a set-up), to "learn to shoot long range out to 1200" for elk hunting...

Yeah, here's a recipe for success... crazy

Ding! Fries are done!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Congratulations on completing your law enforcement career, and thanks for your service.

Other people can help you with the scope question better than I, but are you sure you want a NULA in .300 Win Mag? It would seem like a dream retirement rifle would be one you would want to enjoy shooting a lot. I have a NULA in .257 WBY, and its recoil feels more like a 7mm does in a standard weight rifle. I think a .300 Win NULA would be snappy.

Clearly recoil tolerance is personal. I had a "perfect elk rifle" built in .300 Win: McMillan, trued Rem 700, Shilen, Jewell, etc. and ended up parting it out because the .300 was just more recoil than I shot well.

Today's good bullets also mean that lots of smaller cartridges are perfectly elk capable out to 600 yards.

My apologies for causing you to doubt a decision you have already made, but it would be a shame to have a 30 year dream rifle not be something that brought you as much well-earned joy in reality as you had imagined it would.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Even when I was much more recoil-tolerant than I am now, 300WM was my least-favorite "flavor" of recoil. Snappy and sharp and nasty. The problem is, learning to shoot at longer ranges is a high-volume affair. A NULA 300 WM is not a high-volume precision rifle for most mortals. My 7 WSM Kimber is about on the outer edge of my personal tolerance, as far as a rifle I can put 30-40 rounds downrange with in a day, and still maintain precision.... And it's kicking a lot less than a 300 WM NULA.

Maybe just scope it with a good lightweight hunting scope, and buy a cheap 6.5 CM for long-range screwing around? Just a thought. Or, buy something like a GAP Xtreme Hunter if you want an expensive, high quality rifle that is still a decent carry but has the mass to be more shootable at long ranges...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
If it were me,I would put a Leupold 6x36 on and go kill elk. The cow elk I've killed have been shot at 200 yds or less.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would put the heaviest scope I could possibly find on this one. smile

My first custom rifle was a .300 mag – a willowy 7.2# all-up.
One range session with that one was enough for me. I can't imagine getting proficient at longer ranges whilst getting pounded.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by SKane
I would put the heaviest scope I could possibly find on this one. smile

My first custom rifle was a .300 mag – a willowy 7.2# all-up.
One range session with that one was enough for me. I can't imagine getting proficient at longer ranges whilst getting pounded.

Mine too (if a Custom KS counts) but .300 Wby Mag and it was vicious. I shot it for a half a year, never could get it to shoot good (or I couldn't shoot it well) and it moved down the road. I was 18 and all the guys that worked in the gunshop where I worked swore by them for the Tx Panhandle where we hunted. My next one was a 10# .280 Improved 40° that I shot really well and used for the next ten years. Then came the NULA .257 Wby which kicked like the heavier 7mm. It was shootable and shot really well but I should have done a .284 Win instead. Not a single one of them ever had anything over a 3.5-10x40mm at any point in time and all but the .300 Wby were killers to 500yds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All the [bleep] hard-won wisdom on this thread is making me want to go do something youthful and rebellious. Like re-chip my truck engine. Or date a stripper.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I'd be looking at a dependable tracking scope with as much eye relief as you can get, in a NULA the 300WM will come back hard and fast but I hope you enjoy your new toy and your retirement!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
If it were me,I would put a Leupold 6x36 on and go kill elk......

Uhhh.....yeah. A 6X would be good.

Bull Elk are kinda like...pretty large.

Of course I have no desire to shoot one at 1000 yards either.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After reading some of the post about recoil, I think biggest, best brake you can handle will make that rifle fun to shoot at any range. I remember trading off one of my early wildcats. A .30-.378. It is now a factory cartridge and I still don't want one.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Congrats on the fulfillment of a dream that's awesome! A NULA in .300 Mag not only sounds like a tough one to shoot well, but also one that'll be tough on scopes.

For me personally I like a lightweight scope on a lightweight rifle. Also, on a hard kicker a stout scope is a must. The best way to get both lightweight and stout construction is with a fixed power.

I also just got my dream rifle... A Kimber 84M Classic Select in .257 Rob. I put a VXII 2-7x33mm w/ LRD. This is a rifle I'll shoot out to 500 meters for steel & 350 yards for game. That is my maximum effective range with that rifle/scope combo and if I wanted to go further than those two distances I'd get a scope with dials.

If I were you I'd start out with either a Leupold FX3 6x 42mm w/ M1 target turrets, an SWFA Super Sniper 6x which has turrets, or if you're really convinced you need a variable a VX3 3.5-10x 40mm w/ M1s. Those are all tough scopes with reasonable weight.

Once I had that rigged up I'd work my butt off to become proficient out to 600 yds. I found that 600 yds is MUCH more than 2x as difficult as 300, especially if wind is present at all. That's true of medium/heavy sporters... Add in a lightweight rifle and you've got your work cut out for you. If I could feel confident out to 600 I'd consider how seriously I wanted to go further and whether that rifle/scope was the vehicle to get me there, and adjust from there.

That's my free advice; good luck with the new acquisition I hope it's all you've dreamed it would be!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JeffO
Go with the stripper

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would go with a Leupold VX1 3-9x40. Great optics and
all you need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
All the [bleep] hard-won wisdom on this thread is making me want to go do something youthful and rebellious.
Like re-chip my truck engine. Or date a stripper.

Or Both ;-)

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Congratulations on completing your law enforcement career, and thanks for your service.

Other people can help you with the scope question better than I, but are you sure you want a NULA in .300 Win Mag? It would seem like a dream retirement rifle would be one you would want to enjoy shooting a lot. I have a NULA in .257 WBY, and its recoil feels more like a 7mm does in a standard weight rifle. I think a .300 Win NULA would be snappy.

I would suggest you take a hard look at the above post ! I have a model 28 in 300 win mag and another one of Melvin's rifles in 280 AI...guess which one I enjoy shooting and can hit the best with ! As far as elk the 280 AI kills them just as dead as the 300 without the pain !

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Or, buy something like a GAP Xtreme Hunter if you want an expensive, high quality rifle that is still a decent carry but has the mass to be more shootable at long ranges...

Unless you're hunting the mountains with a backpack, I'd go this route.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10X42 in Nightforce mounts. A little extra weight isn't going to hurt in your situation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2.5-8 Leupold to keep the package nice and trim. If this wont work for your needs then nothing will. I shoot little coyotes to near 400 w a 7x on the top end Leupold.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by utah708

Clearly recoil tolerance is personal. I had a "perfect elk rifle" built in .300 Win: McMillan, trued Rem 700, Shilen, Jewell, etc. and ended up parting it out because the .300 was just more recoil than I shot well.

My solution for a 9# 300WM was a suppressor, and now I can shoot it with any fatigue. With nothing on the muzzle my 'dream rifle,' similar to utah's description, was capable about ten shots before I called it a day. I can't imagine a NULA in 300.

Last edited by whitebread; 07/27/16.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
2.5-8 Leupold to keep the package nice and trim. If this wont work for your needs then nothing will. I shoot little coyotes to near 400 w a 7x on the top end Leupold.

Nope not enough mounting latitude for long actions.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
OP is in CA.... Suppressor isn't an option....

BUT.... it is a most viable solution if you live in a non-Nazi state. I've got a sub-8lb all-up .300 WSM.... it's a breeze to shoot with the can on it. It wears a 3-9x40 Leupold with 1/2 MOA turret.... it's a very capable 600 yard rifle, and I've stretched to 1/2 mile... though I'd probably limit shots at elks to the 500ish range.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Fastback65

Like I said I am usually the under 300 guy.
I have no dream of ever shooting an Elk at 1200 but will enjoy shooting at the range at the longer distance.
Thanks guys

It seems to me that you actually have two separate purposes here, and a rifle well suited to one, but not perhaps so well suited to the other.

I’m a fan of light rifles for hunting myself, and yes, it is possible to shoot them well. It would seem to me that as a hunting rifle for your usual run of shots out to 300, and maybe the odd occasion a bit further, your dream rifle should be well-suited.

However, based on my own experience, as a rifle for developing skills at the range for shooting out to 1200 yards it will have some serious drawbacks. Among other things, the recoil which isn’t a bother for the odd shot or two in hunting, becomes an issue for putting in shot after shot in practice at the range. It is also a good deal more challenging of course, to hold a very light rifle steady, and there’s no counterbalancing advantage to light weight in a rifle that you only carry to from your car to the line. Personally I’d be inclined to suggest that you might be better off having a second rifle, something with a bit of heft about it, for the long-distance range use, and keep your NULA for hunting.
That’ll make your scope choice a bit simpler too.

I’d be looking at getting something nice and light on your hunting rifle, both to take advantage of its light weight and handiness and also because a heavy scope on a light rifle with a bit of kick about it will be hard on mounts. For my own use on a light rifle for hunting out to 300 yards I personally would choose a good scope in the 2-7 to 3-9 sort of category. Unlike some I’m not inclined to crank dials for this sort of use, but that is a whole other argument.

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks guys special thanks to Dan Utah and EFW

Reading the post I think I am pretty comfortable with recoil I shoot a 338 win mag now in a old red but tang safety Rugerr M77 have never had an issue with recoil in it.
The goal of this rifle is elk.
I have a 257 AI that is my deer rig I will try learning to shoot it to the darn gong so far out there.
My goal now that I will be having some time on my hands is to learn to shoot to 600 yards some day with both rifles.
I think learning to shoot will be with the 257 once I get it I can start on the 300 and not develop a flinch as it sounds like she might kick a little more than I thought.
Some great scopes have been brought up and I will try and put eyes on them b4 I buy one thanks again.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Congrats

Yes two different purposes that somewhat oppose each other.
I would be thinking two scopes for the NULA a target scope and a Hunting Scope. Even on a model 28 a 6x42 starts to seem big a 6x36 is ideal to my thinking or a 2.5x8. As far as target scopes I am not well versed on them but you could go all the way up to 36x if you wanted too. Nightforce and Huskemaw have good reputations.

I also agree on the dedicated target rifle idea. It could be a Savage or Shaw in 6.5x284 or Creedmore. Much more fun to shoot and you could taylor loads to match the NULA in trajectory to be better hunting practice. Even in a heavier rifle a 300 starts to make my shoulder feel warm after a couple of boxes of cartridges. Sometimes I am only good for around twenty rounds others sixty but if I don't stop when my body tells me it is time to quit it is easy to develop a flinch or other detriments to accurate shooting. In that case more practice is counter productive.

Basically I just repeated Dan Oz and others. But JB said redundancy is good on the Kamp FAR.

Elk rifles to me the lighter the better as long as you can shoot it. A 1,200 yard rifle is none to light at about 15 lbs.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

My buddy (ask him if he is not my buddy grin) Melvin will tell you "You cannot kill it if you cannot see it!!!."

Anyway, Melvin really likes Leupold scopes and I suspect that he will advise you to use the VX6 or perhaps the 4.5-14X40 with my B&C reticle.

If you were to buy a .308, he'd probably advise the wonderful Leupold 2.5-8, but a .300WinMag is entirely a different critter.

Choose whatever you want, but do not be a "slave to tradition" and buy the scope that will make you happiest.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks dogzapper I thought he was partial to Leopold's I think I am leaning to the vx6 and getting the Bush for my 257 AI to practice with.
See what I like best. I am sure the wife will be on board with buying two scopes.
I think I will tell her hey had to do it I will be on a fixed income pretty soon lol.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw

Worked on a Savage LA and a CZ 550 LA I had.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Reading the post I think I am pretty comfortable with recoil I shoot a 338 win mag now in a old red but tang safety Rugerr M77 have never had an issue with recoil in it.

I think there is a substantial difference in recoil between a 9.5#-10# .338WM and a 7# .300WM but that's just me. Most of the guys who were shooting light .300Wby Mag rifles with me had breaks and they were tolerable. I absolutely hate breaks. A can will do you a world of good but I wouldn't hang a can on a Douglas #2 or #3 barrel and I honestly don't like to thread barrels that slim either even for a break. In a light gun I think the answer is less recoil. I shoot thousands of rounds a year through work rifles, match rifles, and smokeless muzzleloaders so I may have evolved a recoil aversion.

Leupold makes decent rifle sights but all of mine have become backups to better sights already mentioned.

You might look at different shooting venues around you and see what sort of matches they offer. One of the better events I've done to let you know how you feel about toting your stuff through the mountains is the Mammoth Sniper Challenge at Rockcastle Shooting Center in KY. I carried a 46# pack and and 18# rifle for that event and wished I had brought a lighter gun at times until it came time to shoot it. I carried it for roughly a marathon there over three days. I am shooting a Run and Gun 5k there in March and will carry a lighter gun but it won't be a 7# rifle either having shot long range in the mountains after long fast climbs. Run and guns exist all over so find one and tote either a light gun (your 257IMP) you have or a heavy gun (your 338WM; most matches allow bullets under 200gn and under 3000fps from 30 cal or under) you have and see what you think the realistic happy medium is for you to move with and shoot well under physical stress.

I hope this build pans out for you but I think you either need a smaller cartridge in that gun or a little heavier gun in your cartridge choice. It's a right tool for the job question. I don't drive rail road spikes with a small ball-peen hammer. I don't generally choose to shoot long range with bantam rifles chambered for big rounds and small optics although it can be done.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Here's a 180 at 2850 outta a sub-8lb all-up .300 WSM.... and that includes the can. It's also about the same length as a 24" barreled Rem LA.... recoil is more than tolerable.... as is noise.... as you can see on the video...

[video:youtube]7LOlruXAcDo[/video]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RinB
JeffO
Go with the stripper

Ah; but dating a stripper is fun while I lasts; but you just know it is not going to end well!

Q
QuQ Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Q
Leica ERi 3-15x50
Less than 17 oz
30mm tube
Brilliant glass
4" eye relief
It has Leica glass!

Last edited by QuQ; 07/28/16.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Retired, well your retina isn't hanging on as tight as it was in your younger days. That much recoil combined with a lot of practice just may ruin more than one dream. Knew one individual whose tore loose under recoil and then when he looked at something like a telephone pole, he saw two. He described it like this: I
I

Just something to think about.

Will not print out right, so think of two parallel poles, except they didn't form a continuous line. One was lower and off to the side of the other.

Last edited by battue; 07/28/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would rather a mid grade hunting type scope with elevation turret on the NULA and with extra money get a mid priced varmint rifle with a SWFA SS on it to play at 1200 yds.

One rifle/scope for both don't cut it. Especially an ultra light 300 mag. Recoil and barrel life are but 2 of the multiple reasons why.

JMO....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I would rather a mid grade hunting type scope with elevation turret on the NULA and with extra money get a mid priced varmint rifle with a SWFA SS on it to play at 1200 yds.

One rifle/scope for both don't cut it. Especially an ultra light 300 mag. Recoil and barrel life are but 2 of the multiple reasons why.

JMO....

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by battue
Retired, well your retina isn't hanging on as tight as it was in your younger days. That much recoil combined with a lot of practice just may ruin more than one dream. Knew one individual whose tore loose under recoil and then when he looked at something like a telephone pole, he saw two. He described it like this: I
I

Just something to think about.

Will not print out right, so think of two parallel poles, except they didn't form a continuous line. One was lower and off to the side of the other.

Retina is nothing to fool with , rifle in question will increase the probability that it happens.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 on my NULA .270 Weatherby. at a hair less than 16 ounces, it works well on an ultralight rifle. My NULA .338 Win Mag is topped with a VX3 - 3.5-10. I would have gone with the 2.5-8, but I just happened to have the 3.5-10 sitting around.

NULA's are fabulous rifles, but in hard kickers take some practice to shoot well. I've found that when shooting off the bench or with a bipod, I have to hold on to the fore end of the rifle to keep it from throwing shots due to the way it recoils. It's like shooting a magnum revolver; grip consistency is crucial!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
When I see people on this board take down Elk at 5-600 yards with a 308 and 155 Scenars, I see no need for a 300 WM!

Thats just begging for (un)enjoyment when the scope kisses your eyebrow and blinds you with blood.

A light rifle for hunting and a heavier for shooting long range!

Or a tweener, in 8-10 lbs, in a managable caliber.
308 Win, 155scenar, 10x42 S&B PMII, 3# barrel, get a silencer for long range shoots.

The US in the last 40 years:

Socialism for big corporations and military industrial complex

&

Rugged individualism for the individual.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
It's always interesting when an OP specifically asks for optics opinions on a rifle he already has ordered, and he proceeds to get inundated with why he should be shooting another rifle. Let the guy enjoy what he wants....he earned it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Northman
When I see people on this board take down Elk at 5-600 yards with a 308 and 155 Scenars, I see no need for a 300 WM!

Thats just begging for (un)enjoyment when the scope kisses your eyebrow and blinds you with blood.

A light rifle for hunting and a heavier for shooting long range!

Or a tweener, in 8-10 lbs, in a managable caliber.
308 Win, 155scenar, 10x42 S&B PMII, 3# barrel, get a silencer for long range shoots.

Northman have you shot a lot of elk with the 308 yourself?

Or a 300 magnum for that matter?

Have you hunted elk a lot yourself?

I'd be interested in observations of how they both work.

If you learned how to shoot a 300 magnum you won't end up with the scope in your face. What nonsense.

JG is right of course. let the guy shoot what he wants.

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/29/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have been saving my ducket's I Ordered a NULA in 300 Win the other day Melvin asked what scope I had in mind.
He said he has had some issues with a couple scope lately with the reticle on the brand I was thinking of.
With that being said this is going to be my Elk dream rifle and scope. I am now looking at three scopes two Leopold's the V6 and the Mark 6 and the Schmidt Bender is the third.
I want to stay with a variable from 3 to 4 low for short shots to a min of 12 power on the high. I am not stuck on these three scopes and all options are open.
I am wanting to start learning to shoot long range I have a nice range that goes out to 1200 yards.
Right now I am comfortable shooting 300 if I have a tree to lean on. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

You've got the cart sooooooooooooo fhuqking far in front of the horse,that the horse can't even see it. Hint.

Firstly,NOTHING matters more than boolits. Nothing. Simply build around a great boolit and you are there. Hint.

Secondly,I'd be loathe to go to a L/A and especially a belted one and for VERY good reason(s). Nothing you've cited,comes close to quantifying ANY of them reasons. Hint.

Thirdly,spent primers remain THE Supreme Tutorial and your proposed platform will not grant that feasability,for a multitude of reasons. Hint.

Fourthly,the ONLY fhuqking way POA/POI are reliably aligned,is through generous erector travel,robust erector travel,good turrets and a good reticle. The optics you cite,connect none of those dots. Hint.

Fifthly,while some thangs is subjective...Physics assuredly is NOT. Hint.

Don't be in such a hurry to make sooooooooo many bad decisions as your Swan Song. Slow your roll and cypher facts and Physics,then arm yourself with said info and rethunk the whole parcel,so as to be able to connect dots. Hint.

Were I forced to NULA,I'd want neither a Douglas or a Krieger,mainly because I have both. Hint.

I'd be building around a boolit and it'd be a S/A in 7mm,wearing a "284Win" stamped barrel shank and a throat granting .050"+ of land chasin' with a 162 'Max square smooch,in the issued COAL latitude. The barrel would be no greater than 22",the twist no slower than 9.5"(though I've 10's that pinwheel same in SAAMI 7-08) and I could be happy with lotsa spouts that were neither Douglas or Krieger. Mainly because I've got 'em all. Hint.

Your proposal is to concoct a loud Fun Robber,that'll only "perfect" your flinch and curtail trigger time,due it's heavily compromised mannerisms. It's a Miss Machine. Hint.

A 162 'Max at 2875fps zero'd at the 250yd line,will barely eat a 6x MQ's reticle at the 1200yd line(my current atmosphere),with all staring you literally in the face. The 1500yd line barely begins to eek the inherent resolve from the platform,with a paltry 16.2 Mils of "up"/holdoff. Hint.

So besides botching the action length,barrel length,barrel Make,chambering,boolit and glass...you REALLY nailed it down. Hint.

You've been led to water.

Re-hint.

Don't forget to update,when you don't listen and fhuqk things up.

Just sayin'.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I am another proponent of lesser calibers in light rifles.I have a Forbes 24b in 270 and ULA in 7X57 Mouser.They are a joy to carry and choot!!!I also have a 300 Win Mag in a MRC in a McMillan standard fill stock sporting a 3X9 Conquest.It is all up 8.5 pounds and is also a joy to choot and not terrible to carry.Well I am not a 1200 yard kind of guy.500 at the longest and things would have to be super right for me to try that.Its your dream do what makes you happy.Huntz

Last edited by Huntz; 07/30/16.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Boxer thank you for all the suggestions.

Raider great post.

Bobin excellent post I have shot a lot of elk with my 30-06 180 grain Noslers worked well I have over a dozen bullets I recovered as I cut up my own meat all mushroomed perfect I switched to a 338 about 10 years ago I like the extra pop I get out of it.

One year I took a cow with my little 257AI when I loaned out my 30-06 to a guy in our group who had a scope fog up. One shot one kill elk did not take a step.
I know just about any caliber can get the job done with shot placement and my favorite Nosler.
I appreciate all the concern on the recoil and everyone can say I told u so but I think I am set on the 300 win.
Last year during our site in day at a Range before the opener I shot my 338 and two other rifles a 300 win Sako and a 375 H&H on a Mauser platform. That my hunting partners had.
With all that out of the way thanks guys I think I have a good idea what I will get. Thank everyone who chipped in.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
When I first got my 3-12 LRHS I took it for an evening glass eval, comparing it to a 3-15 Premier, 3-15 Weaver tactical, and a Steiner military 5-25. I only have one of those scopes left, and I now have two more of them.

The 3-12 LRHS is bad wayyyy beyond it's price tag.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Buy a leupold VX-6. 3x18. CDS

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10X42 in Nightforce mounts. A little extra weight isn't going to hurt in your situation.

This.

And I would not choose an unbraked ultra light .300 WM as my "One and only dream rifle".

That fun will wear off quick.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by efw

I agree if using two piece bases. If you use a one piece picatinny then there shouldn't be an issue.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Two years ago I inherited my hunting partners ULA in .300 WIn
He bought it new from Melvin and it had a Leupold 2.5-8 mounted on it. He killed a lot of elk out to about 400 yards but complained that he wanted a higher power scope.
When I got it I replaced that scope with a Leuopld 3-10 w/BDC. Same scope that's on my Kimber Montana 300 WSM.
Both rifles are set up for the same bullet. 165 Barnes factory load.
I took the ULA to WY last year and killed a 6x6 at 460 yards but the scope cover bit me during recoil and I had blood running down my face.First time in over 60 years behind the trigger that I got bit.
I've got 8 "elk" rifles in the safe and they all have taken multiple elk but the 3 light ones are the ones that get carried a lot and shot just a few times. A 280 Mountain rifle, the Montana and the ULA.The ULA kicks worse that any of my other rifles including my 77 Ruger 338.
Get that NULA and go hunt elk but buy something heavier for your long range shooting.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Fastback 65 Please check your PM's

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hi Fastback65,

Congratulations on owning your dream elk rifle. I hope it brings you many successful seasons.

My advice is to go with the best quality scope that's within your budget.

German optics are quality. But Leupold scopes have not failed me.

We might look through our scopes for a cumulative 5 minutes a day. We'll glass for hours a day. About 20 years ago, I bought a pair of Zeiss binos. It was a great investment. If you haven't done so, I'd recommend investing in quality binos. Hence, depending upon your budget, you might have to compromise somewhere.

Elk are huge animals. They're even bigger when they're dead. It's been written and said a zillion times that elk are the toughest animal in North America, that they'll soak up a lot of lead before they're dead. It does make for great campfire lore; however, the reality is elk are not exempt from biology. Stop topside oxygenated blood flow and they'll die within a minute or less. Put a bullet in the wrong place, and you'll wind up doing a lot of tracking and cussing.

When many hunters see big game at distance, they'll figure out how they're going to make a 600 yard shot. When wise hunters see big game at 600 yards away, they'll figure out how they're gonna close distance. Hence, high end magnification isn't necessary.

While a .300 Win Mag is capable of killing elk at distance, my advice is to get closer if possible. That way you'll be far more confident of destroying oxygenated blood pumping equipment. Thus, a VX III 2.5 x 8 might deserve a look.

Keeping in mind that this is merely my opinion: I believe that the Leupold VX III 2.5 x 8 is the single best scope for hunting all North American big game. This scope is great quality at a reasonable price.

Just thinking about this makes me want to go on another bull elk rut hunt. Drawing a tag for such a hunt is another story.

I wish you the best, Fastback65.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Thanks guys for all the in put so far I am leaning Leopold's and Night force. I got to tell you guys I am honored to own such a gun and fill like I am half bragging telling u I ordered one.

I know some of u guys have several but 29.5 years I got into law enforcement and the pay is not the greatest but I loved every min of it.
I am getting ready soon to move on and this rifle is my dream for retirement or a gift to myself.

Thanks again for all the help.

I fell into a custom ultralight and went with the Swarovski Z3 3x9x36. 11 oz, swaro quality and optics, perfect for that rifle. Not as expensive as you might think, worth checking.

Last edited by luckyguy; 08/29/16.
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Ok all done looking for scopes took Hanco's advice and did the Leop Mark 6 Boone and crocket illum 3-18x 44

This is going to be my elk rifle I am going to play around with my 257AI for longer range practice shooting.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ok all done looking for scopes took Hanco's advice and did the Leop Mark 6 Boone and crocket illum 3-18x 44

This is going to be my elk rifle I am going to play around with my 257AI for longer range practice shooting.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Good luck and good hunting! Post us some rifle and target pictures when you get it all together and worked out. I would love to hear your impressions after you have shot it a bit.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,877
Posts18,497,701
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.