Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
John,

I've got a left-handed stock I pulled off my 1948 FN. It's pretty Weatherby-esque with a high Monte Carlo and cheekpiece, but has some nice figure, so I'd like to work it down, removing the useless (for me) cheekpiece and maybe the Monte Carlo to cut weight and possibly turn it into a good stock for irons.

What's the best tool for fast removal of the excess wood? I was thinking maybe a large Sureform tool.

Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've used a Surform, but eventually switched to a farrier's rasp, normally used for trimming horse hooves.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Found a bunch on Amazon.

Thanks again.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Don't ignore good old Stanley hand planes for such work. Material can be removed accurately and quickly with one. The Nicholson #50 pattern maker's rasp is a great tool to remove wood in a hurry while leaving a surface ready for fine grit sand paper. Also, keep a good straightedge handy to maintain a straight line from comb to heel.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Don't be tempted to pick up a power tool. Slow and steady using a sharp plane, rasp and long, rigid sanding block will prevent dips and hollows.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good files are cheap, good rasps are not. Not so good rasps do not cut nearly as smoothly as a good one.

A series of good files and a single great rasp will make things much better... but the great rasp will cost far more than all the rest combined. And is probably not worth it for a single bit of work.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks all.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Chain saw and duct tape.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Huntz
Chain saw and duct tape.

cool

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the No-Clog files Brownell's sells. Cutting speed varies markedly depending on how much pressure you use. And - surprise - they don't clog up. Leaves a smoother cut.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I suspect some have misunderstood the first question. He was asking about removing LOTS of wood, not final shaping, which is why I recommended the farrier's rasp.

I have several good rasps of the kind called pattern-maker's or cabinet-maker's for smoothing a stock down to final dimensions before sanding. But they do NOT take excess wood--such as entire cheekpiece--off very quickly. A farrier's rasp does.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I suspect some have misunderstood the first question. He was asking about removing LOTS of wood, not final shaping, which is why I recommended the farrier's rasp.

I have several good rasps of the kind called pattern-maker's or cabinet-maker's for smoothing a stock down to final dimensions before sanding. But they do NOT take excess wood--such as entire cheekpiece--off very quickly. A farrier's rasp does.

As does a chainsaw!! grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
With some pieces of wood I've often considered a small electric chainsaw to shorten the job!

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Since I also shoe horses and mules I have been using a farrier's rasp for many years with stock work. I have about a dozen around of varying sharpness Cheap ones are thicker, the more expensive ones are thinner and easier to handle. I have had several of the stock makers rasp and they won't hold their sharpness.

When I lay a stock out in a 3" thick plank. The heavy cuts ,I take off with a standard router then switch to a smaller router, and then to the farrier's rasp. A flexible shaft hamd piece gets the tight corners etc .

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/29/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John,

The No-Clog file will remove wood like mad with some pressure. Never looked into it but I suspect "file" and "no clog" relates to soft metals. The "teeth" are a series of arcs cut across the face and work more like planing than gouging. The farrier's rasp is the classic suggestion, more a matter of taste than effect I suppose.

Saddlesore,

Bivens or one of the other black powder luminaries wrote about using routers to good effect to inlet barrel channels. And said one little slip and the blank becomes really good firewood. But otherwise works great. I haven't the guts to try it - I make enough mistakes with hand tools. smile

--Jon

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It does take a steady hand. If I was doing a barrel channel I would use a guide and not free hand it.I have done several on a m milling machine though

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, the author used a guide. From my foggy memory it was a strip of steel screwed to the blank. Still lots of caution was advised as well as practice on a plain plank or cheap blank. He was apprenticing with a smith producing quality black powder rifles so the time savings was important. The smith was skeptical but the time savings and quality as good as hand inlet won him over. Pretty sure it was Bivens but maybe not.

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 61 invisible), 3,012 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,930
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.