-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My sons plowed many a deer with the 250 Savage with 100 gr rem factory loads at 2600 FPS. Most shots well under 100 yards. rifle is a win 70 compact with a Douglas barrel.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by OlongJohnson
Originally Posted by Troutnut
BTW Ruger and Remington i believe both made bolt guns but good luck finding one without paying an arm and leg.

The Remington was set up with the early chamber, and can't safetly use contemporary loads. There was an evolution to SPC II chambering, with a slower twist and I think a little more freebore, and it allows the cartridges to be loaded a little hotter and get more velocity out of a given load. I know, twist isn't supposed to effect velocity, but it's been tested plenty in this case.

The bottom line is, the M700 is a dog that doesn't deliver what the cartridge is capable of. Don't waste your time.

The SPC is a great cartridge, but it's best for optimizing the performance of the AR. Once you go to a standard short action, any .308-based cartridge makes more sense.

I also like the idea of the Howa Mini. If they ever get off their arses and make it in 7.62x39, I might have to pick me up one.

Was it tested independent of additional freebore?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I built a 6.8 upper last year. 18" mid-length. Killed a fat old doe at a lasered 200yds last November. Bang-flop. Used a 110gr Nosler Accubond. This bullet is currently unavailable so I am in the process of working up a load with the Hornady 120gr SST for this year.

Last year, when I shot the deer, it was wearing a Burris MTAC 1-4x. I've since replaced that with a 1.5-6x Burris MTAC.

I'm not as young as I used to be. So I built up both upper and lower to be as light as possible.

Definitely has become one of my favorite go-to calibers.

Last edited by Brazos_Jack; 08/07/16.

Brazos Jack

W
WEL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
In an AR platform it makes a lot of sense. Outside of that their are a lot better options. I own a 6.8 and a 6.5 in the AR platform. The 6.8 I built for my grandson. Makes an awesome youth rifle. Stock will go down to 10" and you can let it out as they grow. Plus they can start on a .223 AR that kicks less for training and is cheaper to shoot.He's 6 and can keep 10 rounds in a pie plate at 100 yds.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Boolits ALWAYS matter more than headstamps. Hint. Read that again...now one more time. Re-hint.

There's absolutely NOTHING "redeeming" in the POS Goat Fhuqk 6.8. Hint.

In an AR,if forced to abandon the 223 and 62TSX/75BTHP Hornies for Critters,I'd go right to 243LBC/6 Grendel,as a 105 smooch in AR COAL confines,do not suck. Have heard good thangs about Hornie HPBT's too and with a 2600fps 18" Middie launch,they'll reach the 400yd line with 1925fps. Hint.

In a boltgun for Duffers,it'd be a fast twist 270 with 105 Smooches at 2550fps+ out of an 18" spout(my 19" is no "faster"),if I couldn't 223/223AI in high RPM for 75's. Had a Poster from this Board out yesterday,gunning my Heavy 270 at the 1004yd line,in 5 Mils of FV wind and he couldn't miss a 1.5 MOA target from offa the hood with a Harris BR Swivel 'pod and no rear rest. Hint.

MTU Bart' 1-7.75" at 19" heavy filled A5,MDT poly 10's in the DBM and sub 2.500" COAL Smooches. Pictured here,day before yesterday,amidship.

[Linked Image]

My 18" Bart' 1-8" version of same in a dupe contour of less shank,is easily just as sinister and a Crowd Pleaser.

[Linked Image]

I hear good thangs about a 20" 1-8" Brux no-turn 6BR Montucky,in a like dupe/reduction blueprint,with 105's at 2700fps...which arrive the 400yd line at 2010fps. Hint.

[Linked Image]

I don't know how one could lose a bet big enough,to suffer the POS 6.8?!?

Staying .378" donor reaps an untold myriad of logistics,pertaining to brass,mags,COAL and reality. A .547 BC at 2550fps is no slouch,but the Hornie BTHP connects all dots in rugged reliability.

A 18" 223 Middie will happily squirt Lever' fueled 75HPBT Hornies at 2825fps and the .395BC is a Holy Terror on Critters. An Illuminatti there,is tough to whoop for Utility. It'll reach the 400yd line in this saturated atmosphere at 1950fps. Hint.

[Linked Image]

A 20" or better SAAMI 223 boltgun will squirt the 75A-Max at 2925fps fueled same and that's a great place to be with a .435BC,as it will arrive the 400yd line at 2100fps. Hint.

[Linked Image]

A 18" or better 223AI in a Chassis,will happily squirt same to 3100fps,fueled in like fashion. With it,one gains vast LOP options for Duffers,lotsa ergo choices to boot,portability and that while reaping the logistics that makes all else pale. Tough to beat AM steel 5-rounders as a default and the cited MDT poly 10's are wicked reliable and tough. The newly released XTREME HARDCORE GEAR RX-S chassis,trumps the MDT LSS,in both ergos and inlet(more forgiving of Custom lugs and mags ride higher in relation to bolt nose). It'll reach the 400yd line at 2250fps. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Just sayin'.

Hint.

You've been led to water.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by John_Boy
I'm looking for advice on using the 6.8 Remington as a sub 300 yard deer caliber.
Acceptable or not. Maximum effective rake?
Thanks,
John

300 and less, the 223 kills em all day long...the 6.8 will be fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No experience with the 6.8 but both the 6.5x55 and the .270 can be loaded down with 85-120 grain bullets for the same or better performance as the 6.8.

The reduced loads might be a little louder but probably not by that much. Recoil would be the same. It would be on a long action is the only difference for hunting purposes. But if that was an issue then go for a .260. Several youth options that can be upgraded with a full size stock later.

Unless it was in an AR or a true "mini" rifle I don't see the point.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here's an economical alternative to the 6.8.

Just pick up a 270 Win and a box of factory loads, pull the bullets and dump out half the powder.

Win / Win

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The camo'ed up BLR is my favorite grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
The camo'ed up BLR is my favorite grin

Complete with a mini Hubble. The BLR is an under rated accuracy platform. Solid receiver, long barrel shank and for end mounted with a tenon.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
The 6.8 works well on deer. My son used one last year and I was impressed with the performance.

I've been begging somebody to do one in a bolt gun again. In my opinion, it could be marketed successfully if the rifle was set up right. They need to make it appealing to youth hunters and females too. It's a cartridge that would work for everyone with pounding the shoulder.

No long range rig, but more than enough for deer and pigs at moderate ranges.

Darrik: whats your bullet of choice?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
WEL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
That POS goat fhuqk 120 sst with a 400 BC is still packing 1000 ftlbs at 300 yds from a SIXTEEN inch barrel which neither of those 223 loads above will do.

It aint rocket surgery(hint). More case capacity means bullet go faster, bigger bullet go just as fast as litle bitty bullet.That piece of goat fhuqk 6.8 will send a 95 barnes as quick as you can toss that 62, That does not suck.

Or for shtz and giggles load up a 264 lbc, grundel in one of them how are you bolt guns and shove a 129 gr LRAB and as much CFE as will fit and spit it out at 2500 ish and that damn thing will open up all the way to NINEHUNDRED yards. it'll carry 800 ftlbs to 600 yds. That definently does not suck.

Last edited by WEL; 08/09/16.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
And in English, all that means???

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
W
WEL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The tounge in cheek poking fun at boxer language aside, what that means is in the ar platform the 6.8 and the 6.5 grendel allow you to shoot heavier bullets with more energy downrange out of the standard ar platform without stepping up to the heavier ar 10 platform. Take both of them out of the ar and the 6.8 becomes a 30 rem necked down to 277. The Grendel becomes a 260 too short to really take advantage of the long high bc bullets. But I would be curious to see how long you could load in the Howa.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ok, I'm old and slow..... Now I get it. My Howa is a Swede..... Long action. I've thought about their mini action, or at least their short action for rebarreling.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you want to shoot deer with a 6.8, go for it... The only person you have to please is yourself and the dead deer ain't gonna complain...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
The 6.8 works well on deer. My son used one last year and I was impressed with the performance.

I've been begging somebody to do one in a bolt gun again. In my opinion, it could be marketed successfully if the rifle was set up right. They need to make it appealing to youth hunters and females too. It's a cartridge that would work for everyone with pounding the shoulder.

No long range rig, but more than enough for deer and pigs at moderate ranges.

Darrik: whats your bullet of choice?

Tom -- I really don't have a bullet of choice. The 85TSX, 95TTSX, 90BSB or the 100 Accubond would be what I'd play with if loading. The factory Fusion ammo would be what I'd get if buying ammo.

In truth, any of the above would work within the 6.8's range. It kills, but so do several others. It's just fun playing with different stuff.

I guess if choosing, I'd take the 85TSX. 3000 FPS is a breeze and that bullet wouldn't stay in many deer within 300 yards.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
W
WEL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If you go to the 68 forum under the hunting section there is a sticky for bullet performance. There is a guy who has done extensive testing on every popular bullet. The 95 TTSX actually expands more at 300 than the 85 TSX. The most popular bullet is the 120 SST but it is a fragmenting bullet that will shed it's core and does a lot of meat damage if you don't keep it in the lungs. The 100 and 110 gr Accubonds are very popular and did well in the testing but availability has been scarce.The 115 gr fusion which is not available as a seperate component did very well in the bullet testing also. The 95 TTSX is also very popular. For a cheap factory round the 90 gr Federal GD is very popular but works best inside 200 yds. Lots of good info in that thread. There is also a bullet specific section under the reloading tab with a lot of user data.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks Darrik and Wel...Ive already picked up a box of 95 TTSX and a couple boxes of cup-n-core stuff...but until I get my mitts on Accubonds, the TTSX will probably get the nod for anything serious.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
WELP,

I do enjoy your FIRST Hand "accounting" of what a 3rd hand party mighta "found". Congratulations?!? That is some SERIOUSLY fhuqking FUNNY schit!!!

The ONLY thing you "shoot" is your mouth and Imagination. It's never been difficult to cypher who shoots and who do NOT. Hint.

"Energy" is a Window Licker's mainstay,akin to SD,in that it resolves NOTHING that bears fruit and simply paints all of the ilk in like color. Google it. Hint. Laffin'!

ALL boolits arriving at like speed,of like diameter and like weight...get to bask in the "Glory" of sharing IDENTICAL "energy" values" and "SD" "values". Hint. Zero impetus is placed upon their construction and relative mettle. Re-Hint.

Funnier than fhuqk,that you get giddy about simply replicating 223 Terminal Effects in The Goat Fhuqked 6.8,ala the latest Window Licking Zombie Ruse! But to "get" there...one must suffer horrendous logistic obstacles,suffer schit brass,suffer reduced round count in like sized parcels,add recoil,add noise,add expense and throw away Precision...if only as starters. Hint. You better have someone read that to you again. Now one more time. Re-Hint. Laffin'!

Tough to get giddy about 16" Krunchenticker Gas Systems,whether it be in longevity,noisetitude,reliability or Precision(reduced ES/SD with longer gas tubes). Hint.

Lemme take a TV Timeout and cite more Reality...mainly because it's funnier than fhuqk,to grant you CLUELESS Fhuqks opportunity to talk out your ass. Hint.

Pardon the splendor of a 223 SAAMI Krunchenticker and a 75 Hornie HPBT,through the fhuqking shoulders(NOT lungs). Hint!

[Linked Image]

Better fasten your seatbelt,as this was a 22 K-Hornet form load with a 35 'Max at 3030fps and I'm still lookin' for that boolit too. hint!

[Linked Image]

Now to "embolden" your "convictions",via modest smattering. Hint. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

I VERY much enjoyed your Howa Mini Grendel FABRICATIONS and the Delusion that "you" are gonna "shoot" 129 AccuBombs outta said platform...despite the REALITY that it "boasts" MilSpec AR mag "latitude",though while "offering" a POS Proprietary Mag to "allow" same.

I mean,it isn't like you could park P-Mags and go alloy Colt or ASC's instead. Google it. Laffin'!

Like you've a clue!

[Linked Image]

Funnier than fhuqk,that you equate boolt weight to "energy". "Weight" is moot in the discussion,as plainly stated prior. What is not,is projectile integrity and it's aero form. Hint.

If only for conversation and musing a coupla dots from this morning,which'll convey obvious applications,for the astute. Hint.

Regarding high RPM .243" Chronicles.

[Linked Image]

Left to right: 6BR no-turn/105'Max kiss(2700fps),270/105 HPBT Hornie kiss(2550fps),6XC/105 HPBT Hornie kiss(2930fps),243Win SAAMI/105 HPBT Hornie Gas Gun kiss(2910fps),243Win AI Faux Ti/105 'Max kiss(3225fps),6mm Rem SAAMI/105'Max LEAP,6mm Rem AI/105'Max LEAP,6-284/105 HPBT Hornie kiss(3340fps),Six Twat-Six/105 HPBT Hornie kiss(3370fps).

If it does not wear an AICS footprint mag,it's simply fhuqking JUNK! Hint.

[Linked Image]

CFE is a fhuqking joke,same as you. Hint.

The ONLY thing you've "shot" at 900yds is your Imagination...you "lucky" kchunt.

If it "helps",try to "convince" yourself I've never had to SPC or Grendel.

Laffin'!

Pass the GOOD schit and hold the fluff.

Hint.

GOOD "talk".

Laffin'!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

426 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,668
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.