-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All your examples are valid, however, do you realize how a detail change or two would have made things way worse for us. As someone mentioned if the japs had taken Hawaii, or just sent the planes back to clean up the job, the whole island hopping campaign would have been almost impossible.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
[quote=deflave]"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

(Unless your boss is a meth head)

Dave

Tien, mon ami! Une autre temps, une autre guerre.

Tien? my friend another time another war I understand but Tien I don't guess my French is getting very rusty.
Mr. Kaywoodie Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
NC, Old Slang for "well"

You know those crazy guys. 15 words that mean the same thing!!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/28/16.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Germany spending $3 billion on the V-2 program and getting nothing of strategic value while the US spent only $2 billion and got the atom bomb.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Operation Tiger was big. 700+ killed in a training exercise.

The Morganthau Plan for post war Germany to starve up to 1/3 of the German population to death. Started in mid 1945, by mid 1947 german outrage was so high there was fear the germans would go over to the soviets.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Germany spending $3 billion on the V-2 program and getting nothing of strategic value while the US spent only $2 billion and got the atom bomb.

My dad told me on his death bed about his work during the war at the atomic research facility in Washington state. Not high level stuff (he was a clerk) but people of his generation took oaths of secrecy seriously. I had no idea he had worked there.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Japanese attack on Midway. We were very lucky, and it turned the war in the Pacific. The Japanese navy had not suffered a major defeat in a couple of hundred years. They could not conceive of the attack being a failure.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gen. Lucas not rushing to take the high ground at Anzio. His delay turned what could have a been a brilliant surprise landing and end run around the German lines into a prolonged shooting gallery with US soldiers sitting on the bullseye.

On a smaller scale, the fubar landing of Marines at Tarawa. Someone messed up the tide tables so the landing craft didn't have enough water to clear the reef, forcing the Marines to wade some 400 yards through the surf to the beach under constant Japanese fire.

Not a screw up so much as a bad miscalculation was the failure of US planners to realize the perfect defensive nature of the hedgerows in Normandy.

Taking on the other side, not waking Hitler up for D-day. The Germans' delay in rushing Panzer divisions to counter that landing since they still thought the main invasion would come at Calais. With our supply lines dependent on two concrete piers that still had to get into full operation they had a very good chance of pushing us back into the channel in the first couple of days or at the very least holding us in place while they rushed more reinforcements into the battle.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kaywoodie
If IRC it was Tres Bien for very well sorry no accents on the keyboard.
Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by speedsixman
GunGeek,

"so let's just declare war on he worlds largest economy with the 2nd largest Navy.."

I thought that we had the largest Navy at the time. If we were # 2, who had the largest ?

Myron
I'm guessing Great Britain.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I may be off, but I think 'tres bien' translates roughly to "very good"

Myron

Last edited by speedsixman; 07/28/16.

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I may be off, but I think 'tres bien' translates roughly to "very good"

Myron

That is true

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
GunGeek,

"so let's just declare war on he worlds largest economy with the 2nd largest Navy.."

I thought that we had the largest Navy at the time. If we were # 2, who had the largest ?

Myron

Britain, I believe had the largest navy at that time.

but then again, we gave them a ton of surplus WW1 destroyers etc to prop up there Navy....

The USA might of had the largest Navy in 1940.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
other big Screw UPs......

The Limeys' belief in Monty....

And the US not putting Patton at the head of the US Army Forces in Europe....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
GunGeek,

Myron

Interesting question. Differing answers.
Quotes, take your pick:
“The Royal Navy, still the largest in the world in September 1939”
“The Imperial Japanese Navy in World War II, at the beginning of the Pacific War in December 1941, was the third most powerful navy in the world.”
“The Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) at the outset of World War II in the Pacific was the most powerful navy in the world.”

Britain and the US had to fight a two ocean war, so Japan started with the largest navy in the Pacific. They had ten carriers and we had three. They had ten battleships and we had nine before Pearl Harbor. That all changed at Midway.

As the war progressed, the balance between the Pacific and Atlantic fleets shifted back and forth, but we always had the big dogs in the Pacific.

“By war's end in 1945, the United States Navy had added nearly 1,200 major combatant ships, including 27 aircraft carriers and 8 battleships, and had over 70% of the world's total numbers and total tonnage of naval vessels of 1,000 tons or greater.”

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
other big Screw UPs......

The Limeys' belief in Monty....

And the US not putting Patton at the head of the US Army Forces in Europe....
Agree on Patton. The war would have been a year shorter, and the Russians wouldn't have controlled as much of Europe.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Len Deighton wrote a book on this very subject.

[Linked Image]

I read it over this past turkey season. Singapore was high on his list, but there were a bunch more.

Germany, for instance, screwed up big time not learning anything from the Battles of Khalkhin Gol. General Zhukov showed his capabilities against the Japanese and demonstrated a lot of his winning tactics. When the Germans came up against him, they did not have effective counters.

Germany also screwed the pooch in their assessments of what it would take to win Barbarossa. The generals submitted early estimates that were accurate. Hitler rejected them, so they went back and cooked the numbers. The final logistics were about 30% lower than what was needed.

Deighton was remarkably scathing of Churchill. He blamed him for screwing up in Greece, Crete, and North Africa and getting Britain involved in a short war with Iraqis in the middle of WWII.

The book is a good read but bogs down in the last third or so.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For the Germans, failure to realize that their major code was broken early. Polish cryptographers initiated the process and gave their knowledge to the Brits just prior to the German invasion of Poland...This resulted in the Ultra operation....

The Brits (and Russians by other means) knew what the Germans were up to often before the Nazi commanders.

It never dawned on the Germans that a lost U-Boat may have actually been captured (which did actually happen) and the Enigma cipher machine and books taken intact. HMS Bulldog captured a U-Boat and it's code apparatus intact, unknown to Jerry.

"an armed society is a polite society"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
GunGeek,

Myron

Britain vs. Germany vs. France in 1939:

http://ww2-weapons.com/fleets-1939/

The US in late 1941:

http://ww2-weapons.com/us-navy-in-late-1941/

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 07/28/16.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Japan picking fight with US.

These were the naval production numbers during the war.

United States Japan
Aircraft Carrier 141 17

Battleship 10 2

Cruiser 48 9

Destroyer 349 63

Subs 203 167

Merchant ships
(in tonnage) 33,993,000 4,152,000

Aircraft 324,750 76,320

For an island nation to pick a fight with a nation whose production capabilities were about 12 times greater than them was suicidal.

Above figures are from a fabulous website: http://www.combinedfleet.com/economic.htm

Last edited by cv540; 07/29/16.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.