Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 36 of 150 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 149 150
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What the Hell for?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

There is still a small gun shop in that general area, Snowsville Store, in East Braintree, VT, between Randolph and Northfield on RT12. It isn't in the same league as Bill's shop, but it is still there.

Good info. I go to Northfield every couple of years.

The guy who owns the Snowsville Store is not exactly friendly or helpful, but once he realizes that you know guns, his whole attitude changes. Not much nicer or more helpful, but not as dismissive. If you go there, you'll understand.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There is still a small gun shop in that general area, Snowsville Store, in East Braintree, VT, between Randolph and Northfield on RT12. It isn't in the same league as Bill's shop, but it is still there.

Good info. I go to Northfield every couple of years.

The guy who owns the Snowsville Store is not exactly friendly or helpful, but once he realizes that you know guns, his whole attitude changes. Not much nicer or more helpful, but not as dismissive. If you go there, you'll understand.

Sounds like a typical Northeast Kingdom "woodchuck". Marc will be JUST fine.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup. That's the Vermont way. They're standoffish until they realize you're not just another joker.

M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
As soon as I talk up there the funny looks and questions start. Can't say I've ever received poor treatment up there.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Originally Posted by Yondering
When I get another it will be a 35.

I like the 35 calibers in these too.

Mine is an early model (I forget if it was 1954 or '56?) that had some pitting and not much finish so I touched it up a little, and set it up for heavy subsonic loads. Kills deer about like you'd expect - pretty dead.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did you re-stock that? I have a 1954 760 in 30-06 and it looks like the one in the link above.

No, but like I said, I couldn't remember if this one was from 1954 or 56. I had two, built a couple years apart according to the numbers, the older one had wood like your link shows, with the corn cob forend.

The rifle in my pic above has the "diamond pattern" forend that came a couple years after the early corn cob forends. It also has a cheek piece on the stock, which I like a lot better than the drop comb on the earlier rifle. That is original wood on this rifle, and hasn't been refinished. The wood has a really dark reddish color that you don't see much any more.

BTW, fixed your link, in Photobucket just click on the "IMG" code and paste it here.

Last edited by Yondering; 07/27/16.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yonderling-- I own a Remington 7600 --35W- 18" tube. Wondering -- Do you use the gun silencer for deer hunting ?

[Linked Image]
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Yes, not always but I do some of the time. (It is legal in the states I hunt.) I tend to leave the silencer off when hunting thicker brush, just because of the length, but otherwise really like hunting with a quieter rifle.

Animals still hear the noise and react, but often don't seem to know what it is or where it came from. Several times now I've had other deer walk out into view just a couple minutes after shooting; they seem to wonder what's going on.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Interesting--- Then the main purpose is to get a shot at a second deer.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One time I heard 25 shots within a few seconds near me. Turns out a 120" buck broke across the field while 5 hunters with 760 30-06's were crossing that field to set up a drive. A 12 year old hit and killed the buck with the final shot which was the only shot that connected. That was the best barrage I've heard while big game hunting.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by wldthg
Interesting--- Then the main purpose is to get a shot at a second deer.

Are you one of those fudds who thinks suppressors are evil and only used by poachers and assassins? confused

The main purpose is to not make so much noise in the woods.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sorry--- Ya got me pegged wrong--- thought of poaching never came into mind.---- Just trying to figure out the advantage of using one...I have observed deer ,many a time, reacting to gunshots nearby and far away.

[Linked Image]
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
OK.

Mostly it's for the same reason you use a muffler on your car - less noise is good. Gun mufflers are not much different, other than one is federally required and the other is federally restricted.

Last edited by Yondering; 07/29/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I love the sound of rifle fire..... smile

It isn't deer season without it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Last year just before closing time I heard 4 fairly rapid shots. Then about 15 seconds go by and I heard 2 more.

I pull into camp and they're hanging a lad's first buck on the pole. Seems it was sneaking behind the camper while he was changing out of his hunting clothes.

The first 4 were to clear the brush, the 5 to get his attention, and the 6th dropped him.

Good shooting really. There were a few real small trees to clear out.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Last year just before closing time I heard 4 fairly rapid shots. Then about 15 seconds go by and I heard 2 more.

I pull into camp and they're hanging a lad's first buck on the pole. Seems it was sneaking behind the camper while he was changing out of his hunting clothes.

The first 4 were to clear the brush, the 5 to get his attention, and the 6th dropped him.

Good shooting really. There were a few real small trees to clear out.

I've heard some stupid schit... But, you can't really believe that, right?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No goofball, I don't. grin I just said that.

He really did shoot 6 times tho. No I was a mile away, it sounded closer so I didn't think it was anyone with us. He did drop it with the last shot. He killed the dumbest deer in WI.

He shot a dos the next day with me in the stand, with a perfect heart shot.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LMAO!

Good. I thought you'd started channeling DumbassDon or some other idiot for a second.

It's amazing how stupid deer can be at times, and how it's almost always someone else that kills them (though, I will admit to killing one that stuck around long enough for me to fire - and miss - several times with a muzzleloader before dropping it with a last shot, and then finding out the scope was FUBAR).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Same here. I love the crack of a rifle in the still woods. A muffler would take a lot of the fun out of it for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Same here. I love the crack of a rifle in the still woods. A muffler would take a lot of the fun out of it for me.

I rely on the crack of a rifle to wake me up from my power nap and get ready for a possible chance at a missed buck. laugh

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 36 of 150 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 149 150

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (14idaho, 6mmCreedmoor, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.