Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The viewing experience on this site has been, IMHO, getting progressively worse. Video ads that take up bandwidth and, worse, use the speakers so that whatever I’m listening to at the time becomes an incoherent collage of mixed audio sources. Pages that load unacceptably slowly or never fully load at all because of third party ads. Frequent crashes of Flash/Shockwave. Pages that don’t present clickable items and won’t scroll for unacceptably long periods of time.

This last weekend I was browsing 24hourcampfire and I got a pop-up that said I needed an immediate/urgent upgrade to Google Chrome. Bullcrap. Google Chrome updates automatically and there is no telling what malware I might have invited into my life had I clicked on the upgrade link. That was the final straw.

Adblock Plus was the answer. No more annoying video ads or ads of any kind, no more Flash/Shockwave crashes, no more interminable waits for pages to load, no more clickable items that aren’t clickable or pages that refuse to scroll. No more pop-ups. Awesome!

Adblock Plus is freeware and is available at adblockplus.org. It claims to be the most popular ad blocker. Take a look and decide for yourself, but I’m a very happy user and now have it running on two of my computers as well as my Android phone. I plan to put it on my other computer, wife’s computer and her cell phone as well.

Much as I like 24hourcampfire, the viewing experience was becoming unacceptably irritating. With Adblock Plus the irritations are gone.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
After the dozens of discussions we've had here about using Adblock Plus which effectively kills all those ads, I can't feel sorry for anyone who puts up with them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
As much as I love this site, and have for years, it's almost not worth the aggravation! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by memtb
As much as I love this site, and have for years, it's almost not worth the aggravation! memtb
Read the previous 2 posts. Your aggravation is self inflicted and easily curable. I haven't seen an ad here in several years.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As a rule I don't like to encumber my browsers with a lot of add-ins. I saw one thread about ad blockers a while back and my frustration level finally exceeded my tolerance level.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I run ad block as well. Never have any problems with ads or the site running slow.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Trying adblocker+ now! Seems to be working, thanks a big pile! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
As a rule I don't like to encumber my browsers with a lot of add-ins.

Then quit your whining.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Coyote Hunter: I keep reading posts from some on this site about "various problems" - but I never experience them.
I am sad that you do.
Perhaps it is old or unworthy technology of your computer?
What ever it is it does not bother me and I am not sure what is different about my computer and yours.
I suggest you follow the recommendations of some here about ad-blockers.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am on an iPad running Safari and when I go to the App Store and select AdBlock or Ad Blocker Plus for a Safari I get a failure message, not compatible with your device, and it will not load. The description on the app shows it is compatible with an iPad running my level of operating software. I am stumped. Any suggestions?

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wondering what is so special about this forum. I do put up with the ads. However, I don't have to load any special programs on the other dozen or so sites I visit.
I use to run Adfender, but it screwed up my Windows 7

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Too bad there is not an app that blocks pizzzing matches.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I access this site on both an iMac and a MacBook Air, using Safari. So far, I get no pop-up ads on this site, although the ones on PhotoBucket drive me nuts. I have not had any reason (other than frustration with PB, which has a lot of other things that really annoy me) to look into AdBlocker. Please let me know how you make out.

P.S. I dropped Google Chrome primarily because it did not block the storm of ads that seem to plague this site.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mudhen
I access this site on both an iMac and a MacBook Air, using Safari. So far, I get no pop-up ads on this site, although the ones on PhotoBucket drive me nuts. I have not had any reason (other than frustration with PB, which has a lot of other things that really annoy me) to look into AdBlocker. Please let me know how you make out.

P.S. I dropped Google Chrome primarily because it did not block the storm of ads that seem to plague this site.

I cannot imagine why you would want Chrome to block sites and ads for you... AdBlockPlus gives lots of options for specific blocking...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you have not been affected. I hope your luck continues.

Both of my home computers use i7 processorsr unning over 3GHz and multiple TB of free disk space. My main system (the one I put Adblock on) has 16GB RAM, the other 8GB. My laptop has an I5 at 2.5GHz with 8GB RAM. All three systems have experience the problems I've described when browsing this web site.

Since putting Adblock Plus on my phone, even it runs fine when browsing this site.

Should have tried it a long time ago.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
As a rule I don't like to encumber my browsers with a lot of add-ins. I saw one thread about ad blockers a while back and my frustration level finally exceeded my tolerance level.

Think of it as a 'custom modification'.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some of the news sites are also pretty bad for ads.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I cannot imagine why you would want Chrome to block sites and ads for you... AdBlockPlus gives lots of options for specific blocking...

Old, technologically naive and pretty much computer illiterate. If it wasn't for my two daughters' coaching, I would have quit computers in disgust when I retired 12 years ago... blush

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
AdBlocker helped a lot on my laptop using Chrome.

AdBlocker saved my Kindle, before adding it the poor thing was locked up all of the time here.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I may have to try adblocker.. I am not plagued by ads, but the letters are slow to appear as I type. The pages constantly lock up I have to go pack to the previous page then switch back to the page I want to read. Could be my computer is old.. Maybe this willhelp.

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Encumber your browser with add-ins (1), or encumber your browser with ads (infinite). Your choice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finally did Adblocker (sp?) with the arrival of a new PC. Things are seamless and fast now. Still sad that one needs such an installation solely for this site. Never an issue anywhere else.

1Minute
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Some big news announcement here..

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
switch to Brave as your browser

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
After the dozens of discussions we've had here about using Adblock Plus which effectively kills all those ads, I can't feel sorry for anyone who puts up with them.

I"m slow on computer stuff. And run almost all macs so it was rarely an issue, but the first time that crap showed up, I read a bit of stuff on a serach, and put on adblock plus....

Thats been some time ago.

Evidently some are even slower than I. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This thread will probably run 100-200 pages

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I may have to try adblocker.. I am not plagued by ads, but the letters are slow to appear as I type. The pages constantly lock up I have to go pack to the previous page then switch back to the page I want to read. Could be my computer is old.. Maybe this willhelp.

Try ccleaner.

Safe, free, effective.

Clears cookies, registers, caches, etc.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

ETA: it's not an adblocker. Do that too.

Last edited by ironbender; 08/01/16.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Those were problems I was experiencing as well. No longer.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
This thread will probably run 100-200 pages

Oh, great.......

WTH is this thing here, and not up in the Freakshow?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If there was ever a consideration buy something new, I would suggest a Mac. I've had several different PC's and now I have had two Mac's over the last ten years. I still have a top notch PC sitting here which is a new business supplied Dell.

I'll choose the Mac 100% over any PC every time I get on line. It's just a better machine and design. The learning curve for the differences are no problem because it's made with so much more thought to the human being operating it.

I have had to write countless articles and a couple books. During this time I was using a PC. ( well the first book was with a typewriter but I'm getting old) I would have completed projects in half the time without the random loss of work when the PC locked up or puked on me in the middle of the project. That was the original frustration driving me to go to the Mac.

In the ten years I have had Mac's now, I cannot recall a single time EVER that they locked up or dumped my work. I hope with Jobs gone they continue the tradition of high quality and user friendly designs. I cannot ever see going back to a PC again.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Keep on doing the same thing and expecting a different/better result? crazy

Ad-blocker+

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ABP +1.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best thing I did is switch from Chrome as my browser to Firefox. Much faster and minimal "lock-ups".

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The problems I'm having are different. My computer has gone off three times while I've tried to write this. The site won't keep me logged in, won't let me page up or down, and then it just stops working. No movement at all. When it does come back on, it may be for ten seconds or ten minutes...then goes off again. I've been logged on at least 10 times tonight and have only read three threads. It's really not worth it to a guy that hasn't got any computer savvy. powdr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What does this thread have to do with "General Big Game."

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beating on a dead horse here guys. Ad Block Plus is your friend. I've been on here for years and have never once experienced the misery you folks speak of. Just do it and don't look back.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Plus 1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Never heard of it. How much doe it cost? wink

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The pages constantly lock up I have to go pack to the previous page then switch back to the page I want to read. Could be my computer is old.. Maybe this willhelp.

Do you ever clear the cookies out of your computer? I find that this helps me the most when things start slowing down. First sign of anything I think is not right, clearing out cookies is the first thing that I do. Works for me. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Does my Kindle Fire use the Android app?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Kindle uses a browser called "Silk". I believe it is proprietary to Amazon.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by milespatton
The pages constantly lock up I have to go pack to the previous page then switch back to the page I want to read. Could be my computer is old.. Maybe this willhelp.

Do you ever clear the cookies out of your computer? I find that this helps me the most when things start slowing down. First sign of anything I think is not right, clearing out cookies is the first thing that I do. Works for me. miles

See this from above:

Originally Posted by ironbender

Try ccleaner.

Safe, free, effective.

Clears cookies, registers, caches, etc.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

ETA: it's not an adblocker. Do that too.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Maybe naive, but would this even be a problem, if this site didn't allow pop-up advertising? The campfire has no control over their own site?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by memtb
Trying adblocker+ now! Seems to be working, thanks a big pile! memtb

Tried adblocker+ just now, works great!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have just had to live with it....keep it short or booted...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just came across this thread. I 've been having same issues as some have noted. Only here. Added "Adblockplus" maybe 2 minutes ago, now this site is clean and fast. It works.
Thanks guys.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks so much for posting this. I had an add-blocker on my computer at one time but when the computer had a problem and had to be reprogrammed it was left off for some reason.

It was to the point I hated coming here the computer would run so slow...this site, the S&W Forums and FoxNews were the worst...now all the crap has disappeared...

Told Mackay Sagebrush and he said the same thing...he hardly came here any more because of the adds slowing his machine to a crawl...

Everyone should download this...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Try adblock Ultamate then under options turn the following lists.

English filter Version 1.0.92.40.

Spyware filter Version 1.0.7.45.

EasyList Version 1.0.61.90.
Blocking 33 ads on this page. and over 35,000 this week.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wrapids
Maybe naive, but would this even be a problem, if this site didn't allow pop-up advertising? The campfire has no control over their own site?

This site has a long history of problems which seem to be mainly from the huge number of ads running.

None of the other sites I visit require any "add-ons" to make them work, and lots of other sites have no ads at all.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My iPhone gets redirected catastrophically from time to time here. Pretty much kills the window that it happens in.

It's amazing that the forum has thrived (I presume) in SPITE OF the fact that it's by far the single worst internet "site" I've ever experienced in terms of this kind of crap. Well, except for that one with the nekkid ladies I accidentally stumbled onto accidentally just that one time by accident.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Of the several guns and huntings forums I visit regularly this is probably the one I find the most informative BUT definitely the one with the most technical issue. It's very frustrating.

Last edited by BCSteve; 09/04/16.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have great difficulty posting here.like the site and JB alot though

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I wish the pop ups would stop and it seems to freeze up very often

Tater
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
I wish the pop ups would stop and it seems to freeze up very often

Yup. Adblock Plus will fix that.

Or at least it did for me.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/10/16.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If anyone complaining about this site has not put Adbock on their computer what are you waiting for...it cured all the problem for me not just here but several other sites that are full of adds. The S&W Forums were also slowing my computer down as well as FOXNEWS...now everything is faster than ever before and all I have is a 7 year old laptop....

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The ads are thick here at the fire but I don't think pop ups are from this site, that's what Rick has said in the past.

Installing Adblock is the first requirement but I would also recommend installing Malwarebytes (for a windows system). The free version is ok. Let it update and do a full scan. It will most likely find some malware on your system. Pop ups should be gone. You'll need to run a scan manually once in a while with the free version.

Last edited by gwrench; 09/10/16.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (160user, 204guy, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 48 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,399
Posts18,470,113
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.