Print Thread
Hop To
M
MILES58 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Pulling arrows from tight new bales and 3D targets can be a PITA! Decided to try some Dyne Gun Coat on some arrows to see how well it worked. I tried three different arrows to see if there was a difference. Carbon Express Maximas because they have an external carbon wrap and are not fun to pull from targets. Beman ICS Hunters because they are not wrapped and are kind of intermediate to pull. Easton FMJs because they are easy to pull. 6 arrows per type. I simply wiped them down with a 3 inch cleaning patch soaked in DBC.

The first trial all were noticeably easier to pull. After maybe fifty rounds the Bemans showed some difference as if the DBC was wearing off.

I repeated the coating at this point and as the arrows were going through the drying stage when they got to tacky I rubbed then down well with the same patch again so as to polish the DBC into the surface a little better. This time the arrows were much easier yet to pull. I don't have fifty rounds on them yet but they seem to be holding up better.

I've coated a total of about3 dozen arrows twice. I still have enough left to do a dozen more twice. Out of the little container (looks like about 10ml) that is pretty good consdering I got it in the kit with a like sized container of UBC.

What I learned: It works surprisingly well. With a delayed rub in it works better. DO NOT wipe the last third of the arrow, it makes them too hard to hang onto to pull them. When it comes to 3D targets where pulling arrows might mean needing to put a foot against the target and leaning into your work, this is really nice and doesn't seem to result in arrows penetrating that much deeper. The arrows do not pull out of bales with a plastic coating heat fused onto the shaft that needs to be cleaned off like with uncoated arrows.

Is it worth it? I shoot almost daily. I don't have to bend but a couple FMJs by yanking on them for it to be well worth it. For the wrapped carbon arrows, they won't bend, but it sure is nice when they pull so easy out of new/tight bales.

I did not shoot them into excelsior bales. Excelsior may or may not be harder on the coating.
I did not shoot into block type targets figuring them to be intermediate to bales and 3Ds.

Last edited by MILES58; 06/03/16.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There's a product Scorpion venom -scorpion spit ? made for arrow pulling .
Arrows pull pretty easy from a BLOB target .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
MILES58 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Yeah, I have tried a couple variants. I also tried the rail lube from my crossbow. They wear off in a few rounds and don't work near as well to begin with. Far as I can tell they're just pricey silicone oil.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Scorpion venom works well, for maybe 10 shots then need to re apply.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Car wax works well also on carbon/graphite arrows. Tom

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Armor all tire shine

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
MILES58 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I have about 20 rounds on the graphite arrows now and they are unchanged. I have noticed that my FMJs are starting to wear the DGC off. They are still noticeably easier to pull than uncoated, but I CAN tell. They used to just about fall out. FMJs never were hard to pull anyway and I suppose it's the coating for the graphics that doesn't hold the DGC quite so well.

I have found that Scorpion Venom works well for maybe five round and after about ten you're back to hard pulling. It never approaches the ease of pulling that DGC produces though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miles-time to get going with the X bow. What if anything do you use for an arrow puller? Suggestions on bolts, and broadheads? Fixed or mechanical? Ordering a replacement string from your guy this week. Thanks for your suggestions.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
MILES58 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Miles-time to get going with the X bow. What if anything do you use for an arrow puller? Suggestions on bolts, and broadheads? Fixed or mechanical? Ordering a replacement string from your guy this week. Thanks for your suggestions.

I don't use an arrow puller, either with the compound or with the crossbow.

I have a bunch of crossbow arrows, but the ones I spent good money for are the FMJs. I have chosen FMJs for both the compound and the crossbow. I don't know as it will make any difference, but they are cheap insurance for more penetration. I didn't have penetration issues with the four last fall, butthe 330 matrix has plenty of speed and power to handle the extra weight.

I used both fixed and mechanicals. I used a plain old 3 blade Muzzy Trocar and a 2 inch Rage. Both worked perfect. I would bet money that any comparable heads would also.

Call if you need more info.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will do sir.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

M
MILES58 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
An update on the Dyna Gun Coat on the arrows...

With well over 100 rounds (probably over 200 rounds) on the arrows now the DGC is still effective, but it is a little bit less so now. I still do not get the adhered on smears from heat as the arrows penetrate block bales. They still are much easier to pull, especially out of new block bales or the rarely shot edges. They still pull much easier out of 3D targets.

I would guess that when I coat them again, if I rub it in good again they may remain slippery even longer still.

Last edited by MILES58; 08/01/16.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,421
Posts18,470,590
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.